• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

IMG_6367.jpeg

In my day, That Shit would have earned a fellow three hots and a cot for probably 20 years or so at the lovely environs of Leavenworth, Kansas. There’s no room for a queer in a foxhole.
I see my post is getting the intended response lol

These are old! Johnny Carson did a bit with these on one of the Tonight Show episodes. I remember sticking these on cars when I was a kid in Elementary School. In fact, not only that, but I recall printing them on my High School's offset printer as a project in my "Graphic Arts" class.

Wow! Graphic Arts class! One of my best High School memories (I didn't care for Wood Shop). The fellowship we had with both the teacher (who doubled as one of the HS's Football coaches) and the other students could rival some of those in the Military. It was a complex process to bring something from a design concept to the printed page, but the highlight of it was being able to operate the school's AB Dick 360 CD (Chain Delivery) offset printer.

ab_dick_360_cd_printing_press_09211703405810.59dbbabcb1918.jpg

I could run that thing today, if presented with a working one. It was just like riding a bike. It had a rhythm to it when you turned on the Motor Drive. There were kids in the class that used to "dance" to it. :ROFLMAO: The paper feeder (on the right side of this view) had a vacuum bar with "sucker feet" on it You could turn on the "Vacuum Pump" (independently of the motor drive) and it would create suction in that vacuum bar. When you pulled the lever to begin "feeding" paper, the vacuum bar would lower and the sucker feet would grab one sheet of paper and feed it through. It would go through the blanket and impression cylinders and out the other side where a set of catches on a chain would pull the paper out and drop it on the end tray (on the left). Hence, the term "Chain Delivery" or CD. I got good enough in class to do "Duo tone" pictorial images (2 colors). Didn't make it to "four color separation" (i.e. "color pictures") but it was possible.

Good times.
We had a pressman who was way beyond my OCD. His press was clean enough to eat off of. I'd take the ink knife and put a dab on the back of the hand wheel. Until he caught on how evil I really was, he would go nuts trying to figure where all the ink was coming from. Every time he touched that hand wheel he would ink up his fingers and then everything he touched would be fingerprinted. We had Townsend T51s on all of ours so we could do 2 color printing in one pass. I agree - Good Times.

A prehistoric version of the pex manifold.

design-pex-water-manifold-diagram.jpg
The problem with manifolds like this is that you waste a lot of water waiting for hot water to come from the manifold for every individual faucet whereas in a regular system once a hot water fixture has been turned on the whole hot water side has been "prewarmed" so if you turn on another hot water fixture it does not have to wait nearly as long.

The problem with manifolds like this is that you waste a lot of water waiting for hot water to come from the manifold for every individual faucet whereas in a regular system once a hot water fixture has been turned on the whole hot water side has been "prewarmed" so if you turn on another hot water fixture it does not have to wait nearly as long.

For a system that's designed right that's probably true.

But for me, I don't go around turning on hot water at multiple locations at the same time anyway.

I'd much rather have the ability to drain individual lines for a freeze than what I got now where I have to turn off the whole house when the next snowmageddon happens.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
We had a pressman who was way beyond my OCD. His press was clean enough to eat off of. I'd take the ink knife and put a dab on the back of the hand wheel. Until he caught on how evil I really was, he would go nuts trying to figure where all the ink was coming from. Every time he touched that hand wheel he would ink up his fingers and then everything he touched would be fingerprinted. We had Townsend T51s on all of ours so we could do 2 color printing in one pass. I agree - Good Times.

We had both the ink cans for which we used the trowel spatulas, but mostly we had "caulk gun" like tubes for the ink. Much easier to get it into the ink tray and ensure an "even ink distribution." Saved me from having to mess with those tiny little screws to tweak the distribution.

Lost my dad last year, cherish every moment you can.

Sorry to hear you lost your dad. I try not to think about it, but when he's almost 98...

I've been lucky. Visited dad 9 times in the last year. He needs help with the house and mom and I need to be there for them. My wife and I were raking leaves in his back yard yesterday and naturally, he was out there in a flash to do his part. I think the thing he's appreciated the most in his later years is that I've restored a bunch of old photos of he and mom and enlarged a bunch of the more recent photos, framed them, etc.

I have Radium suspended in a wax substrate for re-luming watch dials and hands. It is depleted and no longer glows. Little tins of death.
Pro tip: Lick the bristles of your paint brushes to form a sharp tip to keep the lume within the indices!

• Wow
Reactions: Duc
There was a story about 20'ish years ago where some homeless or gypsies in either Western Russia or Ukraine were barely making it through a really cold winter.

While going through a local dump, one of the guys came across a box that was quite warm to the touch. The article may have even mentioned that the box had a small pleasant glow in the dark...can't remember for sure.

He brought this treasure back to their camp and it helped keep them from freezing to death that night as they all snuggled up to the warmth.
They all fell extremely ill and were dead in like 3 days. Local doc that was called to the camp on day 2 figured it out but not before being fatally poisoned as well.

Supposedly the box was discarded by a radiology lab with common garbage so they didn't have to do paperwork and pay fees for proper disposal.

I think the "authorities" put the "hot" deceased and the radioactive shit in the same barrels to store (probably dumped in a damn hole or off their coast).