• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

1702971006468.png

View attachment 8300401View attachment 8300402

Took the family to Pearl Harbor. Son wanted to go here for his high-school graduation trip. Today has been a very emotional day for us. If you havent been you should go. Its an amazing place to visit and see the history here before they try and erase this too.
I took my family to Gettysburg and hired a historian to ride with us on a guided tour. That was as equally emotional as seeing Pearl Harbor or Normandy. If you get a chance go see those as well. The two on my bucket list are Iwo Jima and Wake Island but I doubt I will ever make it there.

I took my family to Gettysburg and hired a historian to ride with us on a guided tour. That was as equally emotional as seeing Pearl Harbor or Normandy. If you get a chance go see those as well. The two on my bucket list are Iwo Jima and Wake Island but I doubt I will ever make it there.
Yes I want to take them there as well. As well as Shenandoah Valley. Like you I will likely never get to the others you have mentioned. We have been DC when it was safer a fews year ago. Got to do some amazing things there as well.

Yes I want to take them there as well. As well as Shenandoah Valley. Like you I will likely never get to the others you have mentioned. We have been DC when it was safer a fews year ago. Got to do some amazing things there as well.
I lived in the Shenandoah Valley for years and visited New Market, Bulls Run, VMI and many other places. None of them compare to Gettysburg. The museums in DC are great, so is the Air and Space Museum at Dulles.

Some of the buildings in and around Gettysburg still have scars from the battle, 160 years later.
1702974630940.png

Could be worse, though. I recall a scene from the movie "Platoon" where Charlie Sheen sees a King Cobra approaching and raises his machete, ready to strike at it. In his commentary, Dale Dye (Capt. Harris in the film) said Charlie was supposed to be "taking one" during that scene, just like the above, but chose not to, thinking it a tad too dangerous! :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: lash and Barneybdb
Speaking of places to visit that invoke an emotional response, during 1961 to 1963 we were at an Air Force base in West Germany. We visited many places of historical value, the one that hit me most was the site of one of the camps like Auschwitz, instead of being kept like a museum the whole area was bulldozed and then plowed under. Driving past it looked like a very productive 40 acres ready to grow anything, very rich looking soil. There was so much poison in the soil that not even weeds had grown there.
Sitting in the car looking at the area flocks of birds flying around would not fly over that area.

This one was known as Buchenwald. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buchenwald_concentration_camp

Last edited:
Could be worse, though. I recall a scene from the movie "Platoon" where Charlie Sheen sees a King Cobra approaching and raises his machete, ready to strike at it. In his commentary, Dale Dye (Capt. Harris in the film) said Charlie was supposed to be "taking one" during that scene, just like the above, but chose not to, thinking it a tad too dangerous! :eek:

I live in Australia where 99.9% of snakes are venomous and all snakes are protected, many years ago I used to be able to catch snakes and deliver them to a Government organisation that produced anti venom, that funded most projects before I joined the military.
These days, if they found out how many snakes I kill I would be jailed for what is left of my life...

Speaking of places to visit that invoke an emotional response, during 1961 to 1963 we were at an Air Force base in West Germany. We visited many places of historical value, the one that hit me most was the site of one of the camps like Auschwitz, instead of being kept like a museum the whole area was bulldozed and then plowed under. Driving past it looked like a very productive 40 acres ready to grow anything, very rich looking soil. There was so much poison in the soil that not even weeds had grown there.
Sitting in the car looking at the area flocks of birds flying around would not fly over that area.

This one as known as Buchenwald. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buchenwald_concentration_camp

On my first visit to Munich in the 1980's, I did get to visit the "City of Dachau." I did not realize that it was an entire Municipality and not just the camp. It looks like any normal suburban city (ranch housing on regular streets on which kids would play). There's an "S-Bahn" stop there from Munich. The "campsite" (known as the "Concentration Camp Memorial Site") is slightly beyond the City Limit as I recall. You had to take a tour bus to it. But it had not been bulldozed over. Some of the barracks may have been leveled down but all the foundations were still there. Except for one of the barrack buildings that was maintained for "tourist"purposes. And all the other buildings were maintained (Crematoriums, "Brausebad" rooms, etc.). It was sickening. Literally. I had seen the main crematorium building (a red brick monstrosity with 4 units in a row) and the main "brausebad" room next to it and was feeling like i was getting ready to hurl. I had to leave there and find a smaller building (it looked like a smaller "utility shack" or "storage" building) and go inside for some relief from the sun. Bad mistake. That building had two separate cremation units inside it.

Later on in that trip, I also happened to visit the cemetery at Bitburg. If you'll recall, there was bit of a controversy regarding that cemetery in which then President Reagan got caught up. I guess it was the curiosity of the controversy that made me visit it. The controversy being that it contained a lot of Military graves. Military graves of Nazi Soldiers/Officers that is. All you saw in the MSM coverage of the controversy was the Military graves. You'd think that's all that was there. I come to find out that the entire cemetery is massive! And the Military portion of the cemetery was small and sectioned off from the other portions by a short stone barrier fence. I recall there being a sign in the Military section (in German) that said something to the effect of, "Do not disturb the peace and tranquility of the dead." and it was signed, "Der Burgermeister."

I had always wondered if they'd put that sign up "before" or "after" the controversy!

Last edited:
On my first visit to Munich in the 1980's, I did get to visit the "City of Dachau." I did not realize that it was an entire Municipality and not just the camp. It looks like any normal suburban city (ranch housing on regular streets on which kids would play). There's an "S-Bahn" stop there from Munich. The "campsite" (known as the "Concentration Camp Memorial Site") is slightly beyond the City Limit as I recall. You had to take a tour bus to it. But it had not been bulldozed over. Some of the barracks may have been leveled down but all the foundations were still there. Except for one of the barrack buildings that was maintained for "tourist"purposes. And all the other buildings were maintained (Crematoriums, "Brausebad" rooms, etc.). It was sickening. Literally. I had seen the main crematorium building (a red brick monstrosity with 4 units in a row) and the main "brausebad" room next to it and was feeling like i was getting ready to hurl. I had to leave there and find a smaller building (it looked like a smaller "utility shack" or "storage" building) and go inside for some relief from the sun. Bad mistake. That building had two separate cremation units inside it.

Later on in that trip, I also happened to visit the cemetery at Bitburg. If you'll recall, there was bit of a controversy regarding that cemetery in which then President Reagan got caught up. I guess it was the curiosity of the controversy that made me visit it. The controversy being that it contained a lot of Military graves. Military graves of Nazi Soldiers/Officers that is. All you saw in the MSM coverage of the controversy was the Military graves. You'd think that's all that was there. I come to find out that the entire cemetery is massive! And the Military portion of the cemetery was small and sectioned off from the other portions by a short stone barrier fence. I recall there being a sign in the Military section (in German) that said something to the effect of, "Do not disturb the peace and tranquility of the dead." and it was signed, "Der Burgermeister."

I had always wondered if they'd put that sign up "before" or "after" the controversy!
Was not there in the early 60's

Comparing a computer game / simulation to anything in the real world? You must be one of those pax’s that stick their heads in the cockpit after a flight to tell how you could do it better.

Well…walked away from a C130 after arrival in Panama. Pretty sure I could have stuck the landing at least as well as the FANG Uber driver.

If he'd gone the smart way the camera wouldn't have seen him. Then there would have been no point in making the fake video. :D

I would surmise the guy who jumped down, is the same guy who videoed the train going by and the same guy who put the two pieces of video together to look like one.

Last edited:

This one was known as Buchenwald. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buchenwald_concentration_camp
I'm an Army brat. Visited Auschwitz when Dad was on leave. Eerie feeling to that place.

Even in elementary school, I could feel it touring the camp.

M

I grew up on the GA coast. Old forts and battle sites from the Revolutionary War and Confederate Forts were not strange to me.

Standing on the small boat dock in the middle of Battleship Row on Ford Island gave me chills.
Gettysburg I avoided most of my life.
Accidentally riding my Harley into Sharpsburg one day, then taking a walk and standing where the GA regiments held the bluff above the creek and thinking of the insanity of attacking that position across a bridge.

Yea, there are places that can leave you with an odd feeling, that’s for sure.

That’s the old Air Force Plant 3 in Tulsa, the roof is still covered in grass to help hide it from enemy bombers.

I live in Australia where 99.9% of snakes are venomous and all snakes are protected, many years ago I used to be able to catch snakes and deliver them to a Government organisation that produced anti venom, that funded most projects before I joined the military.
These days, if they found out how many snakes I kill I would be jailed for what is left of my life...
Shoot, shovel and shut up…