• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

HA!! I didn't know we had so many bluegrass fans here!! I have grown up on it, my dad was in a band while I was a young kid and we have seen some good shows. When I was a boy I was lucky enough to see Doc and Merle Watson play before Merle passed. I was exposed to some of the best pickers of our time growing up. I love me some Bluegrass!! Carry on boys!

By the way the guy above covering Slayer is killing it! I have several CDs of bluegrass covers which are great, my favorite two are Fade to Bluegrass, and an Pickn' on Clapton.

Banjo is played in two main styles, 5-finger or Scruggs style, and claw hammer (sometimes called frailing.)

The latter is more traditional, and, if you like any of the old civil war or mountain tunes is the way to go. I also think it's easier to learn. Once you get your "lick" down, it's really pretty easy to learn.

As an example of claw hammer, played by the lovely and talented Abigail Washburn, try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocDHjYvq2Hw

Cheers... Jim

Last edited:
I'm a problem solver. I solve problems.

cxZFdTw.jpg

And as a kid, our neighbor Mr. Angus used to play the pipes at dawn on weekends. Some of my earliest memories are of foggy mornings in the valley with the pipes resonating around the area. All the farms got to hear it. It's something I just loved as a kid. Just an amazing sound at the dawn.

A Piper at the Gates of Dawn?

So what say you guys? Pipes or banjo?

You would probably have more opportunity to play with others if you learn banjo. It would be a tough choice for me, as I love both bluegrass and bagpipe music.

My better half is utterly against bagpipes... Not that she doesn't like them. But doesn't like them played badly, which is inevitable for at least several months as I learn.

Then again, there is a world class banjo instructor living 10 miles from me... the pipes instructor guy is 30 miles away.

Of course, I think I'll do better with the pipes than with the 5-string. And as a kid, our neighbor Mr. Angus used to play the pipes at dawn on weekends. Some of my earliest memories are of foggy mornings in the valley with the pipes resonating around the area. All the farms got to hear it. It's something I just loved as a kid. Just an amazing sound at the dawn.

So what say you guys? Pipes or banjo?

Cheers,

Sirhr

I grew up next door to a fellow that was learning to play the bag pipes. I can attest to the fact that when not played well the bag pipes make a terrible noise. I can also attest that when plaid well they are very moving and inspirational.
At the Tour Players Championship in 1999 Payne Stewart died in a plane crash on his way to the tournament. On the first tee before the tournament a bagpipe player came out of the fog on the first tee playing a tribute and it was something I will never forget.

That kicked this old clip from the cobwebs in the back of my mind.
Still funny today.

This will make you feel old, when I was those kids age there was no TV. True story

We had a black & white TV and only got 2 channels. We couldn't watch it during the day, we had to go outside and play when we were kids. The good old days of bicycle crashes, fishing, swimming in the river, rock fights and day long games of hide and seak in the woods.

We had B&W TV, but only because my dad worked on them for a living.
Still took us years to get a color set.
Also grew up with no AC, in Southern VA.
But I'll tell you, after 10 hours in the tobacco fields, that old window fan felt like Siberia at night.

Bwahahahaha!
We stole it back!

Now go to tube8.com, and don't forget to wash your hands before you grab a snack later on.

monday-it-was-a-long-ass-day-15a3e3.jpg

Just in! Date Line Los Angeles

Police Intelligence Sources in California say that radical Muslims are planning to kill every U.S. citizen in Los Angeles.

Police officials fear the death toll could be as high as 9.