• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

090fc44a-8ae1-4428-9ec7-b7d2c46ce563_zps437e5666.jpg

The Spartans.

Sparta is know throughout history for honor in battle.

Persia? Rugs.

Pretty sure you're wrong about that.

List of notable Persian technological feats/concepts from the ancient period:
1. Windmill
2. Irrigation
3. Electric Battery - that's right
4. Logarithm table
5. Algebra
6. Teaching Hospital and Hospitals in general
7. Anesthesia
8. practical physics
9. Alcohol
10. Illustrated Anatomy
11. Concept of a sun-centric solar system
12. Galaxies other than our own
13. early concept of Conservation of Mass
14. early concept of Evolution
15. chemistry
16. optics
17. concept of the speed of light as a finite measurement
18. explanation of refraction of light - rainbows

Sparta is known for guys with spears. They weren't big thinkers.

Spartans were (among other more recognizable contributions) famous for the "Laconic Phrase". Examples include "Molan Labe" ("Come and Take Them"), and "With your shield, or on it". Nothing better than getting your point across in as few words as possible, while slapping your opponent with your very dry sense of humor. Well played Spartans, well played.

1. Windmill
2. Irrigation
4. Logarithm table
5. Algebra
7. Anesthesia
8. practical physics
9. Alcohol
10. Illustrated Anatomy
15. chemistry
16. optics

:

Interesting post, Ill look into that further. I wonder what the electric from the battery was used for as I doubt they had I Phones?

Answered my own question

Persian philosophers and inventors may have created the first batteries (sometimes known as the Baghdad Battery) in the Parthian or Sassanid eras. Some have suggested that the batteries may have been used medicinally. Other scientists believe the batteries were used for electroplating--transferring a thin layer of metal to another metal surface--a technique still used today and the focus of a common classroom experiment. and the link:

Last edited:
:

Interesting post, Ill look into that further. I wonder what the electric from the battery was used for as I doubt they had I Phones?

Answered my own question

Persian philosophers and inventors may have created the first batteries (sometimes known as the Baghdad Battery) in the Parthian or Sassanid eras. Some have suggested that the batteries may have been used medicinally. Other scientists believe the batteries were used for electroplating--transferring a thin layer of metal to another metal surface--a technique still used today and the focus of a common classroom experiment. and the link:

They do continue to make fine rugs...

Katie_Fey_Model_Tits_Brunette_Big_Tits_2327.jpg

Last edited:

1. Windmill
2. Irrigation
4. Logarithm table
5. Algebra
7. Anesthesia
8. practical physics
9. Alcohol
10. Illustrated Anatomy
15. chemistry
16. optics

While this may be true, I personally find it hard to believe, considering that the populace now is only interested in reverting back to the original "rock and stick" technology. It seems that they want to start mankind over again, beginning about a half-step from cave-man intelligence. And STOPPING there.

I, for one, respect and admire actual intelligence. (obviously, more things as well) Why is it that the ubiquitous 'they' can't seem to show any, anymore? Until they do, they get no regard, no remorse, and no quarter.

:

Electric Initiator/Detonator probably.

They have been at their games a long time.

While this may be true, I personally find it hard to believe, considering that the populace now is only interested in reverting back to the original "rock and stick" technology. It seems that they want to start mankind over again, beginning about a half-step from cave-man intelligence. And STOPPING there.

I, for one, respect and admire actual intelligence. (obviously, more things as well) Why is it that the ubiquitous 'they' can't seem to show any, anymore? Until they do, they get no regard, no remorse, and no quarter.

Actually they envision a return to the "Golden Age" when their culture was at the top of their game.

Unfortunately rather than compete rationally through commerce and science they have chosen force under the guise of a race card blaming the west for holding them back. To some extent they have a legitimate bitch but their radical path has no place.

Spartans were (among other more recognizable contributions) famous for the "Laconic Phrase". Examples include "Molan Labe" ("Come and Take Them"), and "With your shield, or on it". Nothing better than getting your point across in as few words as possible, while slapping your opponent with your very dry sense of humor. Well played Spartans, well played.

One of my favorites

Persians - Our arrows will be so many that it will darken the skies

Spartans at Thermopolae - Than we shall fight you in the shade.

Poor pup needs his nails clipped. Long nails are bad for their posture and can lead to real health issues. You'd think a master who lets him up on the felt would pay attention to that.

And in regard to the list of technologies, philosophies, and practices above; there is no longer such a thing as persia or persians, so it would be unfair to associate people living now with those of the same area in the distant past.

Last edited:
The Persian Empire existed and ruled much of the world long before Islam came along and set things back 500 years. I liken the current state of Islamic fundamentalism to the dark ages in Europe that were mainly brought on by the Catholic church. Islam is about 500 years younger than Christianity and as such, I believe Islam is about 500 years behind in terms of what we could call Western enlightenment/sensibility. Do you know what event led to the end of the dark ages and the beginning of the Renaissance? When the Moors, who were far more technologically advanced than the Europeans, left Spain, they left an intact library in Cordoba. As monks began to translate the works held in the library, Europe re-discovered the great Persian advancements in science that had been lost (to Europeans) for a thousand years.

Today, the majority of Iranian citizens are pro-American, pro-West, and moderate in their beliefs and sensibilities. But they can do little against their oppressive Islamic/Military regime.

Today, it is very easy for Americans and the West to think of Iran as being backwards, primitive, and hostile. But most of us are ignorant of the series of events that led Iran to its current state and our role. Stephen Kinzer's book "All the Shah's Men: An American Coup and the Roots of Middle East Terror" should be on everyone's reading list. It spells out in detail how:

1. Great Britain's Empire of the 20th century ran on stolen Iranian oil, and how they fought and won two World Wars using stolen Iranian Oil.
2. The former state-owned (British) Anglo-Iranian Oil company became what we know as British Petroleum today.
3. When Churchill returned to power in 1951, was unable to convince Truman to invade Iran (Truman was on Iran's/Mosadegh's side - the side of democracy).
4. Churchill played on Eisenhower's (and the Dulles brothers') fear of communism to orchestrate the CIA-led coup
5. Teddy Roosevelt's CIA operative grandson Kermit Roosevelt flew to Tehran with several duffel bags full of $100 bills and overthrew Mosadegh's popularly-elected democracy in Iran and brought in Reza Pahlavi (the second Shah).
6. Mossadegh was Western-educated and Western-minded.
7. Mossadegh tried to use the oil money to build infrastructure, industry, and education in Iran.
8. Mossadegh was Time magazine's man of the year 1951 who might have brought democracy to the entire region.
9. Reza Pahlavi Shah was the CIA's puppet dictator for nearly three decades and led a reign of terror against Iran's citizens.
10. The Iranian Revolution was NOT a fundamentalist Muslim revolution; rather, it was a student revolution whose goals were to depose the Shah and to form a democracy in Iran.
11. The student revolution was not well organized or well funded and led to a power vacuum, much like the vacuum that existed in Iraq after we overthrew Hussein.
12. Khomeini returned from exile with a bunch of cash and was able to consolidate his power with the military and keep Iran from becoming a democracy as the revolutionaries had intended.
13. Khomeini created the world's first Islamic state. There have only ever been two and Afghanistan is the other. Both were results of really bad US foreign policy.
14. The Iranian Revolution coincided with the 10th anniversary of Mosadegh's death.
15. Photos and film of the protests before and after the Iranian Revolution show the demonstrators carrying pictures of Mossadegh.

History and context are important. I believe if our leaders knew more of both then we would have less problems today. Sometimes, we're our own worst enemy.

I think we can summarize the feelings of our enemies in the Middle East in one easy to understand sentence: They're tired of our shit.

And really, if it weren't for the oil, we wouldn't have bothered them, would we? How much money has the west made while creating all of these enemies?

On a lighter note, enjoy some boobies:

tumblr_nb61qkVst31qbwslto1_1280.jpg

The Persian Empire existed and ruled much of the world long before Islam came along and set things back 500 years. I liken the current state of Islamic fundamentalism to the dark ages in Europe that were mainly brought on by the Catholic church. Islam is about 500 years younger than Christianity and as such, I believe Islam is about 500 years behind in terms of what we could call Western enlightenment/sensibility. Do you know what event led to the end of the dark ages and the beginning of the Renaissance? When the Moors, who were far more technologically advanced than the Europeans, left Spain, they left an intact library in Cordoba. As monks began to translate the works held in the library, Europe re-discovered the great Persian advancements in science that had been lost (to Europeans) for a thousand years.

Today, the majority of Iranian citizens are pro-American, pro-West, and moderate in their beliefs and sensibilities. But they can do little against their oppressive Islamic/Military regime.

Today, it is very easy for Americans and the West to think of Iran as being backwards, primitive, and hostile. But most of us are ignorant of the series of events that led Iran to its current state and our role. Stephen Kinzer's book "All the Shah's Men: An American Coup and the Roots of Middle East Terror" should be on everyone's reading list. It spells out in detail how:

1. Great Britain's Empire of the 20th century ran on stolen Iranian oil, and how they fought and won two World Wars using stolen Iranian Oil.
2. The former state-owned (British) Anglo-Iranian Oil company became what we know as British Petroleum today.
3. When Churchill returned to power in 1951, was unable to convince Truman to invade Iran (Truman was on Iran's/Mosadegh's side - the side of democracy).
4. Churchill played on Eisenhower's (and the Dulles brothers') fear of communism to orchestrate the CIA-led coup
5. Teddy Roosevelt's CIA operative grandson Kermit Roosevelt flew to Tehran with several duffel bags full of $100 bills and overthrew Mosadegh's popularly-elected democracy in Iran and brought in Reza Pahlavi (the second Shah).
6. Mossadegh was Western-educated and Western-minded.
7. Mossadegh tried to use the oil money to build infrastructure, industry, and education in Iran.
8. Mossadegh was Time magazine's man of the year 1951 who might have brought democracy to the entire region.
9. Reza Pahlavi Shah was the CIA's puppet dictator for nearly three decades and led a reign of terror against Iran's citizens.
10. The Iranian Revolution was NOT a fundamentalist Muslim revolution; rather, it was a student revolution whose goals were to depose the Shah and to form a democracy in Iran.
11. The student revolution was not well organized or well funded and led to a power vacuum, much like the vacuum that existed in Iraq after we overthrew Hussein.
12. Khomeini returned from exile with a bunch of cash and was able to consolidate his power with the military and keep Iran from becoming a democracy as the revolutionaries had intended.
13. Khomeini created the world's first Islamic state. There have only ever been two and Afghanistan is the other. Both were results of really bad US foreign policy.
14. The Iranian Revolution coincided with the 10th anniversary of Mosadegh's death.
15. Photos and film of the protests before and after the Iranian Revolution show the demonstrators carrying pictures of Mossadegh.

History and context are important. I believe if our leaders knew more of both then we would have less problems today. Sometimes, we're our own worst enemy.

I think we can summarize the feelings of our enemies in the Middle East in one easy to understand sentence: They're tired of our shit.

And really, if it weren't for the oil, we wouldn't have bothered them, would we? How much money has the west made while creating all of these enemies?

On a lighter note, enjoy some boobies:

tumblr_nb61qkVst31qbwslto1_1280.jpg

A remarkably well informed and enlightened view. Religiously repressed, yes, but these people are far from savages. I read the story of one guy who biked through Iran and said the people, especially the youth, were the kindest he had ever met. I might argue that El Salvadoreanos hold that title, but never the less

Photos of modern day Iran.

The beautiful city Tehran - YouTube

A remarkably well informed and enlightened view. Religiously repressed, yes, but these people are far from savages. I read the story of one guy who biked through Iran and said the people, especially the youth, were the kindest he had ever met. I might argue that El Salvadoreanos hold that title, but never the less

Photos of modern day Iran.

The beautiful city Tehran - YouTube

The problem is not the "people" in the Sandbox. It's the leadership. The people are 99.9 percent smart, hard-working, likable, ambitious and potential contributors on the world stage if history is to be the judge. Unfortunately, most individuals are living in a situation, largely caused by inept and corrupt leadership (political and religious...), that makes it impossible for people to get out of the cycle they are caught in. And in country after country throughout the ME, they are caught between an incredibly corrupt and inept leadership and a 0.1 percent of moonbats (many inspired by a perverted version of Islam defined by a few 'sword passages' in the Koran) who are setting the agenda with explosives not entrepreneurship; with hate rather than opportunity; with tribalism instead of unity. If the energy and entrepreneurship of many in the middle east could be unleashed... they'd have their renaissance.

So Maggot, Sean, Colt et al are right on, IMHO.

Finally, I'd argue that the 'west' hasn't helped at times (especially in Iran since the Eisenhower administration), but is the West entirely to blame? Heck no. My grandmother used to say "Nobody is too poor to clean up their own yard."

Ok, back to hooters before I get banned for mentioning politics and religion in one post... ;-(

Sorry about the run on sentences.

Cheers,

Sirhr

"Unfortunately, most individuals are living in a situation, largely caused by inept and corrupt leadership (political and religious...), that makes it impossible for people to get out of the cycle they are caught in."

Your hitting close to home, there, buck O

Your hitting close to home, there, buck O

Sorry, I was trying not to bring Detroit and Chicago into this.

Buck O... I love it!!!

bucko_zpsfecea630.jpg

That brings back memories!! I almost feel the need to bring Potsie Weber into the conversation. ;-) Sit on it, Potsie! Boowah haha ha haa.

How many people even have a clue what that means...

Cheers,

Sirhr

"unfortunately, most individuals are living in a situation, largely caused by inept and corrupt leadership (political and religious...), that makes it impossible for people to get out of the cycle they are caught in."

your hitting close to home, there, buck o

amen!

I was thinking about the Stones the other day, when I was reading how another old band was talking about getting together for "one last tour". IIRC, they did the farewell tour in the early 90's?
Still, while some of the old groups just look pitiful out there, the Glimmer Twins and Co. remain one of the best live shows you will see in your lifetime.
They are consummate professionals, rehearsing until they run like clockwork. It gives you a bit of a corporate feel sometimes, but they've got their shit together!

Last edited: