• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

Lol
5528977f7eb279e9bf01326923d559ec.jpg

chuck-norris-throws-dart-hits-triple-bull.jpg

You fuckers are on notice. I knew I'd be able to sniff you hating bastards out one way or the other. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Members who liked message #24536

1. [IMG]http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/data/avatars/s/110/110641.jpg?1516260437[/IMG]
    21 minutes ago
    Tucker301
    Groundskeeper · From Southern VA
    • Messages 6,118
    • Likes 134
    • Points 63
  2. [IMG]http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/data/avatars/s/26/26453.jpg?1516260437[/IMG]
    42 minutes ago
    Yasherka
    Irritant · From Colorado Springs, CO
    • Messages 1,282
    • Likes 11
    • Points 38
  3. [IMG]http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/data/avatars/s/35/35181.jpg?1516260437[/IMG]
    Today at 12:06 PM
    sirhrmechanic
    Command Sgt. Major · 53 · From The Snobbiest Town in The Snobbiest State in the N
    • Messages 7,646
    • Likes 346
    • Points 83
  4. [IMG]http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/data/avatars/s/37/37423.jpg?1516260437[/IMG]
    Today at 10:52 AM
    Rthur
    Philomath · 49 · From Divernon, Illinios
    • Messages 4,448
    • Likes 118
    • Points 63

There's a like button?
I thought that was a Fagbook thing...

What I thought. Thank you. 40 for that much boat is impressive.

40ish knots is the published top speed. There are two variants built by two companies on two totally different designs:

The Freedom class is built by Lockheed on a fairly conventional hull design and the Independence class is built by Austal USA on that trimaran hull. The trimaran is freaky fast with a ridiculously shallow draft for a ship of its size.

Austal also builds some catamaran-hulled high speed transports for the Navy :

https://www.austal.com/ship-types/defence

If you come to town you can take a tour in a WWII amphibious DUKW down the Mobile river and get an up close look at them. I posted a few pics a while back in "what's your view".

What I thought. Thank you. 40 for that much boat is impressive.

No, it's really knot. You want impressive and something that will make your jaw drop? Do a full power run on a Bird Farm. 1100 ft (better part of 4 football fields) of complete and utter fucking awesomeness. You'll probably only find info reporting 'in excess of 30' and I'm here to tell ya it's well beyond 'excess'. They fucking scoot. ;)

1517505524015.png

No, it's really knot. You want impressive and something that will make your jaw drop? Do a full power run on a Bird Farm. 1100 ft (better part of 4 football fields) of complete and utter fucking awesomeness. You'll probably only find info reporting 'in excess of 30' and I'm here to tell ya it's well beyond 'excess'. They fucking scoot. ;)

View attachment 6870695
Amazing something that big is fast enough to ski behind. Based on the wake behind that carrier someone needs a sobriety test, either that or some pollywogs are becoming shellbacks in a really cruel way.

Austal also builds some catamaran-hulled high speed transports for the Navy :

https://www.austal.com/ship-types/defence

And while fast, ride like shit when not going fast or in rough water (feels like being on a bobbing cork, instead of the normal rocking motion of a traditional ship). Never mind the other issues of docking during high wind, no troop berthing, no CIC, etc.. I spent way too much time on those turds, doing experimental testing on several concepts of operations. I can tell you though, they can get from Key West to Belize in no time at all (hence no troop berthing, just rows of airline seats and rifle racks bolted to the walls).

BTW, they're not Navy ships either, they're actually "owned" by Military Sealift Command (MSC). Makes for a weird command structure with a civilian (MSC) captain and a military Commanding Officer.

Reactions: Uspsa2011 and 1J04

View attachment 6870695

Yeah, published numbers rarely tell the story, for good reason. The "joke" with the trimaran is that they just went along with Lockheed's numbers on their design. Anecdotally from some guys who built the first one and were at the yard for sea trials: when the Brass came off that bitch they were giggling like schoolgirls.

Reactions: 1J04
And while fast, ride like shit when not going fast or in rough water (feels like being on a bobbing cork, instead of the normal rocking motion of a traditional ship). Never mind the other issues of docking during high wind, no troop berthing, no CIC, etc.. I spent way too much time on those turds, doing experimental testing on several concepts of operations. I can tell you though, they can get from Key West to Belize in no time at all (hence no troop berthing, just rows of airline seats and rifle racks bolted to the walls).

BTW, they're not Navy ships either, they're actually "owned" by Military Sealift Command (MSC). Makes for a weird command structure with a civilian (MSC) captain and a military Commanding Officer.

Yeah, they discuss some of that on the tours. It's basically a huge shuttle bus with a TV room. It's job is to do more admin-type movement of personnel from one port to another QUICKLY. It was an adaptation of the Hawaii Super Ferry that Austal built that drove the environmentalists wacko because its jet intakes were vacuuming up the fish.

My understanding was that as bad as those hull ride at low speed, they really smooth out, even in a decent swell, once they're going. Was that your experience with them?

View attachment 6870695
how much do they roll in turns like that

Since we're talking weird ships, another weird one that is pretty cool is the USS Puller. An Alaska class tanker that has been converted to a forward staging base (the whole thing can be partially submerged to create a wet well deck for retrieving small boats/teams.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Lewis_B._Puller_(ESB-3)

I remember hearing that Chesty was getting a ship, and being pissed that it was a support vessel. Anything bearing his name should be designed to kill things, a LOT of things.

Exactly. Anyone that was around at the time and was able to enjoy riding on the PHMRONS outta Key West knows what a dream they were to ride. Talk about smooth as silk and haul serious ass? They were amazing. I was lucky enough to sail on 3 of them down there and I'm still in awe. Gives "getter on plane" a whole new meaning.

1517507069536.png

1517507100027.png

Yeah, they discuss some of that on the tours. It's basically a huge shuttle bus with a TV room. It's job is to do more admin-type movement of personnel from one port to another QUICKLY. It was an adaptation of the Hawaii Super Ferry that Austal built that drove the environmentalists wacko because its jet intakes were vacuuming up the fish.

My understanding was that as bad as those hull ride at low speed, they really smooth out, even in a decent swell, once they're going. Was that your experience with them?

Yep. Once going fast and on plane, they smooth out considerably. But, TBH, you spend more time farting around waiting for the harbor master, or (in most of my experience) laying in wait for things (the time I spent was part of a counter narcotics dealio, talk about scaring the shit out of the drug runners; big scifi looking ship coming at you doing warp factor snot, LOL!).

Of note, don't try towing an Aerostat on the JHSV...they attract lightning, and basically will destroy a very expensive sensor package in short order (as well as set the dirigible on fire). Whoops.:oops: A classic "Good initiative, poor judgement" effort.

how much do they roll in turns like that

Bout this much and a bit more. When I was on the Midway they put blisters on the stern port n starboard to lift and stabilize the boat for the F18's . It was a disaster in the 'right' water. That thing would pitch and roll like a bobber. In typhoons and severe water or seas that had swells so many seconds apart (forget what it was) that sumbitch would feel like it was tipping over. I can remember looking out the hangar bay doors by the aircraft elevators seeing nothing but sky, then water, sky, then water. We tore off antennas and part of a Sea Sparrow system on one of the aft sponsons. Those big bastards will roll more than you'd like and once they get going you're in for one hell of a ride. But we still laughed at the poor bastards in the tin cans around us doing porpoise impressions. :LOL:

1517507932557.png

1517507951822.png

1517507974700.png

1517508021963.png

Was fortunate to spend three months in Diego Garcia in the fall of '03.
One of the boats that came into the lagoon was one of the tri-hulled boats mentioned earlier. It was Army badged.
The day it left, I was out on the water in one of the rental Makos.

The tri-hull eased out towards the middle and the operator goosed it.
Holy fookin hell that thing was up and gone in a split.
Fast?
Yeah, that's an understatement.

I've got a nice pic of it on a disc somewhere around here.

View attachment 6870695

I have been told (by someone who claims to have been there done that) that jet engine maintenance does test burns out the back. With engine bolted to a cradle. Was told they can do 3 at a time (not normal procedure, but can be done). Was also told that around the ship there are monitors that show info, such as speed, heading etc.

Speed is in knots, not sure of the conversion but (again hear-say) that soon after (hours) 9/11 the carrier he was on did a hard turn jet engines on cradles where fired up (don't forget about the nuclear reactor). He claimed a few moments later the info screens around the ship showed 40+ knots before they were shut off. All he knew was that they were moving faster than he had ever seen and pretty quick they were off the coast of Pakistan/Iran

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorrosdens
...Of note, don't try towing an Aerostat on the JHSV...they attract lightning, and basically will destroy a very expensive sensor package in short order (as well as set the dirigible on fire). Whoops.:oops: A classic "Good initiative, poor judgement" effort.

We used to patrol with a MAP (Mobile Aerostat Platform), we called it the Fed Zeppelin, we almost ran over a Navy attack sub one night because of the Fed Zeppelin, oopsie!

Was fortunate to spend three months in Diego Garcia in the fall of '03.
One of the boats that came into the lagoon was one of the tri-hulled boats mentioned earlier. It was Army badged.
The day it left, I was out on the water in one of the rental Makos.

The tri-hull eased out towards the middle and the operator goosed it.
Holy fookin hell that thing was up and gone in a split.
Fast?
Yeah, that's an understatement.

I've got a nice pic of it on a disc somewhere around here.

Yeah, the JHSV's were originally an Army program (believe it or not). Now all of them (10 total when contract is complete) will be MSC ships. And yes, they can really move. :)

Not really a new idea, the Soviets had their own "wing and ground effects" vessels as well, for moving men/material quickly across water.

I have been told (by someone who claims to have been there done that) that jet engine maintenance does test burns out the back. With engine bolted to a cradle. Was told they can do 3 at a time (not normal procedure, but can be done). Was also told that around the ship there are monitors that show info, such as speed, heading etc.

Speed is in knots, not sure of the conversion but (again hear-say) that soon after (hours) 9/11 the carrier he was on did a hard turn jet engines on cradles where fired up (don't forget about the nuclear reactor). He claimed a few moments later the info screens around the ship showed 40+ knots before they were shut off. All he knew was that they were moving faster than he had ever seen and pretty quick they were off the coast of Pakistan/Iran

speed is in knots so I don't know the conversion. But was told that after 9/11

Absolutely true. They do strap the engines down on the fantail and fire them off. It's a great show from only a couple feet away.

1517510977184.png

1517511003412.png

Exactly. Anyone that was around at the time and was able to enjoy riding on the PHMRONS outta Key West knows what a dream they were to ride. Talk about smooth as silk and haul serious ass? They were amazing. I was lucky enough to sail on 3 of them down there and I'm still in awe. Gives "getter on plane" a whole new meaning.

View attachment 6870704

View attachment 6870705
Yeah, I remember when they had two of these TAD'ed to NAS Pensacola when I was a kid. They were tied up next to "Lady Lex" for a few months...used to catch some nice salt water trout and croaker off that pier when the Lex was out to sea...

Yeah, I remember when they had two of these TAD'ed to NAS Pensacola when I was a kid. They were tied up next to "Lady Lex" for a few months...used to catch some nice salt water trout and croaker off that pier when the Lex was out to sea...

That's pretty damn cool. I got to go play with the crazy bastards from the Naval Surface Weapons Center and the PHMRONS while I was down there and I gotta tell ya, I'm still permanent pressed. Those damn boats were awesome. Putting out past Mallory square and Tank Island then "hold on boys" and up n gone. When the squadron was whole we'd go out for a little cruise and fun in the sun. Standing back aft drinking coffee and just marveling at the other boats on their stabilizers was impressive as hell.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I remember hearing that Chesty was getting a ship, and being pissed that it was a support vessel. Anything bearing his name should be designed to kill things, a LOT of things.

Puller is not a converted tanker.
NASSCO did base the design of Puller on an existing tanker design.
The first Puller was a combatant, FFG-23.

The LCS is just the latest U.S. Navy ship acquisition debacle.
The reason the ship is designed to make 40 knots or more is because one of its foremost operational concepts is to evade (i.e., flee), not fight.
The ship as delivered has no mission capability. In other words, it won't do anything.
This was purposeful. The purpose was to meet a price target.
After the ships are delivered, they are supposed to be outfitted with one or more "mission modules".
These "mission modules" include a gun for surface warfare, or an ASW or mine warfare module.
There was never a plan to buy enough of all three modules to outfit all ships simultaneously. They are intended to be swapped.
Oh, by the way, the "mission module" program adds billions of $$ to the total program, if you want ships to have any capability to do anything.
The Navy was supposed to down select to a single design years ago. Instead, political influence was applied meaning both yards are still building ships at lower efficiencies and resultant higher costs than one yard could perform.
Then, the first four ships (two of each design) proved insufficient and were designated "training" platforms. Imagine that, never to deploy to fulfill the missions they were acquired to fulfill.
Now, the program has been truncated at 28 ships. That's the good news.

Bout this much and a bit more. When I was on the Midway they put blisters on the stern port n starboard to lift and stabilize the boat for the F18's . It was a disaster in the 'right' water. That thing would pitch and roll like a bobber. In typhoons and severe water or seas that had swells so many seconds apart (forget what it was) that sumbitch would feel like it was tipping over. I can remember looking out the hangar bay doors by the aircraft elevators seeing nothing but sky, then water, sky, then water. We tore off antennas and part of a Sea Sparrow system on one of the aft sponsons. Those big bastards will roll more than you'd like and once they get going you're in for one hell of a ride. But we still laughed at the poor bastards in the tin cans around us doing porpoise impressions. :LOL:

View attachment 6870708

View attachment 6870709

View attachment 6870710
View attachment 6870711
I was COD crew out of VRC-50 in Cubi from 86-89. Try landing on a pitching and rolling deck.

I was COD crew out of VRC-50 in Cubi from 86-89. Try landing on a pitching and rolling deck.

Gotta few traps n cats off CV-64 & CV-41. Fair weather on them all pretty much. Nothing to shout about compared to what I seen that's for sure. You gotta be half insane to trap in some of that crap, in the dark, pitching and rolling, and raining like a MF'r. Huge fucking Balls. That was your world and my Dixie Cup is off to you.

Hey 1J04, saw some of your guys this afternoon walking across the ramp at KMSN. They were wearing their helmets, speed jeans, etc...(probably to stay warm) as they headed towards their EA-18 Growler with a Rook tail. I gave them the thumbs up rolled into a snappy salute as we taxied by. They returned the favor with a big grin. I beleive they are based out your way.

Back around 1980 when I was in the Australian Air Force I was based in Malaysia / Singapore. A COD came in to Tengah from the CV America with hydraulic problems, I helped them sort it out and they then took me back to the carrier, I spent about three days aboard and I am sure I saw less than half the ship. Traps and catapults were great fun, after that I only got to play with helicopters and ships which was also fun but sometimes terrifying.

Hey 1J04, saw some of your guys this afternoon walking across the ramp at KMSN. They were wearing their helmets, speed jeans, etc...(probably to stay warm) as they headed towards their EA-18 Growler with a Rook tail. I gave them the thumbs up rolled into a snappy salute as we taxied by. They returned the favor with a big grin. I beleive they are based out your way.

VAQ Squadron outta Whidbey Island? Prowlers n Intruders maybe still up there. Hell, I dunno. Outta that mix for a long time Buddy. :D

Back around 1980 when I was in the Australian Air Force I was based in Malaysia / Singapore. A COD came in to Tengah from the CV America with hydraulic problems, I helped them sort it out and they then took me back to the carrier, I spent about three days aboard and I am sure I saw less than half the ship. Traps and catapults were great fun, after that I only got to play with helicopters and ships which was also fun but sometimes terrifying.

This cracks me up. I came through and hit the beach in Singapore in 81 for the 1st time. Small world. I'm praying you avoided Bugis Street. What a port.

Did you happen to see those picture postcards in Bugis street of a bunch of naked guys running across the rooftops with burning rolled up newspapers hanging out of their backsides? Were titled "The dance of the flaming arseholes". I don't think my face was visible. I was there from beginning of 79 till end of 81, 6 weeks in Malaysia, 2 weeks in Singapore, constant rotation.