• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

A few years ago I flipped off a nun. Mountains of CO., windy two lane road, she drove 10-15 mph below the limit with 20+ cars on her bumper, and then when it opened to two lanes, she sped up! I passed her and flipped her off as I passed.

Then, walking out of confession, who should be standing there... ahhhhhh, hi sister"........, ?

If any of you 'Hiders have ever been cursed out and, possibly, run into a bridge Abutment by a guy with a flat-top and a 3500 ram...
1535332285587.png

Funny thing is... I've been a F-series superduty guy since High school. Ranger, Bronco, Excursion, Superduty... Ford loyalist. In 2012 my local Ford dealer pissed me off at a level of epic so huge... that I test drove a Ram. Bought a Cummins 3500. Before this truck, I never drove anything out of warranty. 3 years... 36K miles. Right before that.. gone for the next one.

My 2012 Ram (bought this very day... 2012) now has 110K on it. And I plan on running it at least to 200k.

I'm not a 'brand' guy. I think that at the high levels, all the trucks are about the same. And it's the dealers who make the difference. Right now, I am impressed as hell with my 3500. It's the only truck I've kept beyond warranty. And glad I did.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Old West gunfighter Bat Masterson , was a colorful figure - an army scout, gambler, buffalo hunter, frontier lawman in Dodge City, and eventually a US Marshall. He was friends with Wyatt Earp, and had visited Wyatt in Tombstone, Arizona , shortly before the showdown at theOK Coral Later in life, after the West had been tamed, he settled in New York City, and worked as a sports editor for the New York Morning Telegraph.

1535344994954.jpeg

1535345027891.jpeg
M
Wyoming, circa 1900 . Overland by stagecoach. Crossing the country by stagecoach was adventurous even by nineteenth-century standards. Nine people could squeeze inside a stagecoach; additional passengers sometimes traveled on the roof. Passengers remained sandwiched together for about 22 days, with only brief stops for meals and changes of stock or equipment

1535345178635.jpeg

evada's Tonopah to Sodaville stages meet on the road, circa 1903, for a rare respite. The iron engine would soon take their place as the next year, a 60-mile railroad connected Tonopah with the Carson and Colorado branch of the Southern Pacific Railroad at the Sodaville junction. The railroad would become known as the Tonopah and Goldfield Railroad.

Ernest J. Bellocq (1 873-1949 ). American photographer, worked in New Orleans during the early 20th century. Bellocq is remembered for hishaunting photographs of the prostitutes of Storyville, New Orleans' legalized red light district. These have inspired novels, poems and films

1535345469152.jpeg

View attachment 6937003

This cowboy's house was dug in so that the insulation of the earth would help keep it warm.
Today we would think of this as a root cellar, but to him it was home!

Called a "dugout".

There are still some on west Texas ranches. 6666, Pitchfork, Wagoner (former), JA, and probably some only a handful of new land owners know about.

I hunted a SW Texas ranch owned by a friend. One year, I found myself at the fringes of the 20 sections. It would have involved crossing a fence, and I did not know if the fence was boundary or cross. So I did not close the distance. 400 yards ahead was a structure built out of cross ties. Two ties long, one deep, and 6' tall. To this day, it is a 5 mile ride to water. Chihuahuan desert mountains lay 20 miles to the SW, in Mexico. Back at the house that night, I told the land owner what I saw, and asked if it was a Lion's shack. Yes it is. One cowboy would stay back there by himself, and would be resupplied once a month. This went well into the time of mechanization. At least into the 1960's as I recall him saying.

View attachment 6937003

This cowboy's house was dug in so that the insulation of the earth would help keep it warm.
Today we would think of this as a root cellar, but to him it was home!
My great grandmother was born in one of these in 1887 in Greer County, Texas. The land it stood on became Greer County Oklahoma in 1896.

Frank Eaton aka "Pistol Pete" to this day, is the mascot for the Oklahoma State University "Cowboys".

Called a "dugout".

There are still some on west Texas ranches. 6666, Pitchfork, Wagoner (former), JA, and probably some only a handful of new land owners know about.

I hunted a SW Texas ranch owned by a friend. One year, I found myself at the fringes of the 20 sections. It would have involved crossing a fence, and I did not know if the fence was boundary or cross. So I did not close the distance. 400 yards ahead was a structure built out of cross ties. Two ties long, one deep, and 6' tall. To this day, it is a 5 mile ride to water. Chihuahuan desert mountains lay 20 miles to the SW, in Mexico. Back at the house that night, I told the land owner what I saw, and asked if it was a Lion's shack. Yes it is. One cowboy would stay back there by himself, and would be resupplied once a month. This went well into the time of mechanization. At least into the 1960's as I recall him saying.

Your description sounds a lot like the location of a dugout on my friend's property in West Texas. near the edge of the property, and the US border. Good retreat location. Illegals have never run across it, since it isn't on a regular route, or on a drainage headed in the right direction. He still puts a family member out there now and again, to start rounding up the most distant cattle and get them headed the right way. It is rare and rarified country, with some amazing vistas.

Guess I've heard it wrong, for a long time.

Dugouts were historically prairie dwellings on the plains by the settlers because house building materials were scarce and expensive.
Dugout, sod house, sod hut, soddy, were common terms.
There are storys of buffalo hunters surviving hard winters in soddys.

Line shacks historically were any combo of a soddy or board shack, that cowboys stayed in monthly+, to keep up fence lines, keep cows in, keep rustlers out, and mind the herd.
They are still in use in some places during round up. Propane camper refrigerators, camp stoves, and such.

Portales' NM, uncle passed a few years back at 98 or 99, had a ranch with them on it, and a f'ton of stories.