• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Motorcycle carry

pooch

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2004
Utah
Any of you carry when riding your motorcycle? I'm looking for suggestions for a good holster for large caliber(BHP.40)Prefer IWB but that[s tough to do wearing chaps. Search didn't find anything. TIA

Re: Motorcycle carry

in my opinion,IWB can become a serious problem in any case of fall from the bike_ for my 2c.only,some models of shoulder holster can be a safest choice,depending from your ridin'postion and model of bike,of course_

I just carry in my pocket like I always carry. Of course I carry a little J Frame Smith.

OWB at 4 o'clock works for me, usually a 5 Shot SAP. Ankle carry works well too if your boots have enough space.

Funny, I just watched Terminator 2 again last night, my first thought was the 1887 shotgun...lol
I think IWB is uncomfortable just standing, for riding I actually used to wear a (shamefully) fanny pack, since your on the bike most of the time anyway and other riders typically understand the need for a bog like that, no one questions it when you get to your destination.
You can always throw the holster in the bike for after you get there for lengthy trips.

I'm not a big fan on carrying on my body when riding a motorcycle, as I view a traffic accident as being far more probable than a need to quickly access a defensive firearm. Thus, my vote would be to keep it in a tank bag or saddle bag. Obviously, soft bags are not secure, and so the firearm will need to be stored elsewhere during stops.

I use on OWB holster strong side at 4 o'clock. I figure if I go down, screwing up my pistol is the least of my worries... If it shows, no big deal I'm still GTG in MI.

I carry IWB but not typically while riding, unless I'm feeling lazy and don't want to take my gun off. I take my gun out of my rear bag and carry when I reach my destination.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figure if I go down, screwing up my pistol is the least of my worries.</div></div>

It's not the pistol I'm worried about if I crash with it attached to my body. Perhaps this isn't a valid concern, but I do not wish to be the one to confirm or deny it with firsthand experience.

I usually just end up with a back-up sized pistol in a pocket holster. A IWB ends up covered by the belt on my chaps as it rides above my waistline, and it just isn't comfortable either on the bike. A OWB paddle works well (Comp-tac kydex) but you have to keep your jacket closed or it will be revealed when you are underway, and even though it might be legal (OC) it can get you stopped and delayed even though you are legit. A shoulder holster and SOB could have similar issues. In the end it's just easier to take along a pocket pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figure if I go down, screwing up my pistol is the least of my worries.</div></div>

It's not the pistol I'm worried about if I crash with it attached to my body. Perhaps this isn't a valid concern, but I do not wish to be the one to confirm or deny it with firsthand experience. </div></div>

Yeah I can see the pistol firing might be a concern. It doesn't worry me that much, I think most guns have enough built in safety features it shouldn't happen. Motorcycle cops have been in accidents and I can't remember ever hearing of a case where their firearm fired.

Of course there is also the chance someone walking by might pick up your pistol if it comes out of the holster and use it in a crime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I can see the pistol firing might be a concern.</div></div>

I'm not really concerned about that, either. It's the thought of landing on a firearm that displeases me. My suit has padding in a number of areas; placing a chunk of steel alongside my body kinda defeats the purpose!

Appendix carry.

I use a Blade-Tech Ultimate Concealment Holster daily and have nothing but good things to say about the holster and appendix carry in general.

When I ride, I don't worry about sliding on the pistol as I would if it were on my hip at the 4:00 position with many other holsters.

I used a fist iwb, an actually had it on when I had an accident. Fortunately me the gun an the holster were ok. Bike got dinged up a little bit but I could ride it away.

n6tj89.jpg
33vbz1i.jpg

I carry a S&W 642 when on my bike. I do not use a holster though, I put it in my front pocket. I generally wear jeans that are a little large and the revolver stays there quite comfortably.

Crossbreed....Rode it on 10 hr ride no problems....ofcourse I do ride a Victory
smile.gif

Ankle carry is really the only bad way to carry that I have found....

My leather jacket has a gun pocket that will fit a full size 1911, but I live in Arizona and only have to wear my jacket a handful of days out of the year. I don't carry alot on my bike, because bars won't let you carry anyway.

Disclaimer: Please dont drink and drive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucson Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
n6tj89.jpg
33vbz1i.jpg
</div></div>

Exactly what I was thinking... the shotgun from T2... That looks to be the exact same one.

Our local Sheriff's office has a motorcycle unit and they carry H&K 416'S W/10.5" barrels on their bikes. Looks wicked as hell when a M/C officer pulls up beside you and you notice that bad boy in its custom holster!! As for me when ever I am riding I always carry my Commander size 1911 or Glock 19 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special. These are one of the most comfortable rigs I have found for all day every day carry. Even with chaps on it is readily accessible and comfortable.

There was a local cop who was carrying off duty here in Mi. He layed his bike down, and happened to slide on his pistol. He didnt have a bit of rash on him. His pistol was destroyed, but what he saved in potential hospital bills justified losing his pistol.

I pocket carry a Ruger LCR in a Mitch Kramer holster, when the holster prints in your pocket it looks just like an iPhone or wallet

I carry in one of three rigs when on my motorcycle (all Galco rigs) Miami Classic when wearing vest, Yaqui, or Summer Comfort.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucson Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
n6tj89.jpg
33vbz1i.jpg
</div></div>

Exactly what I was thinking... the shotgun from T2... That looks to be the exact same one. </div></div>

Sorry to bust your bubble man but it was a lever action shotgun in T2

No biggie man just trying to be helpful and not a jerk even though it may have come off that way

Same gun I carry off the bike. Glock 32 in a Galico horse hide IWB holster. Upright seated position does not allow for a gun longer than a 4.5 inch barrel. Guns begin to print. Wear jeans and loose under armor t shirts with no problems printing.

Personally, I feel a solid metal object pressed against your lower abdominals is FAAAAAR more risk to your safety than any "threat" presented to you off the bike... What could be simple road-rash on a wet turn, could mean ruptured femoral artery or other life threatening injury while carrying a firearm.

As a medic, and a fellow rider, I have seen WAY too many things impale the body, that you normally would never think twice about

I carry with a Crossbreed Supertuck to and from work, which is only about a 2 mile ride on secondary streets, and feel my risk of falling on the the gun is pretty slim. When I ride any amount of distance I usually just throw it in my tank bag. FWIW

IWB for me while Im riding.. I want to be able to access it if I need it and to be completely honest, It should act like a slider if you lay your bike down assuming you havent effed with the trigger/safety to the point it is unsafe anyway.

I carry a Glock and Im not worried in the slightest about it discharging in an accident.

People like to rob bikers any chance they get, especially at stop signs, gas stations, etc. Around here, they will steal your bike from you at gunpoint when you stop and just load it and go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Francotirador</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about this?

z79tv.jpg

I like a lot!
</div></div>

Thats Bad Ass!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucson Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
33vbz1i.jpg
</div></div>

What's the section of rail on the trigger guard cross pins for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucson Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
33vbz1i.jpg
</div></div>

What's the section of rail on the trigger guard cross pins for? </div></div>

34o3azc.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Prefer IWB but that[s tough to do wearing chaps.</div></div>Well, there's your problem....You wearing CHAPS.
laugh.gif

If you didn't dress-up in 'biker costume leather' to ride you wouldn't have to change your carry habits.
grin.gif

http://www.aerostich.com/suits

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucson Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned my Aerostitch so long,it stands up in the corner by itself </div></div>They're a good suit, and acceptable for concealed carry everywhere. I've rebuilt mine twice.