• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Mounting a scope sideways.....On purpose!?

TLong

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
www.1042blue.wixsite.com
I was dropped on my head as a child, and as a result, I shoot left handed. I was just thinking, (I swear one day I will stop) that if I were to mount a scope sideways, where the windage knob was now my elevation and vice versa, if they both had the same moa movement, in theory it would still work right?

Re: Mounting a scope sideways.....On purpose!?

I mounted one that way on an old Winchester 30/30 because the cases would hit the windage turret when ejected. Cleared the problem up. You just have to remember when zeroing the scope that up is left, down is right, right is up, and left is down. Or at least that's the way it worked on the old Weaver that is still on the rifle.

if you are just going to throw a 100yrd zero on it and call it good it will probably be fine.

for a tactical purpose with a bunch of dialing and what not...... could be a source of major malfucktion.

A normally set up scope should be fine for you since the windage knob will be on your weak hand side.

I am a right hand shooter and I am going to get my US Optics set up with the windage on the left ( makes sense to me to get it that way because my head is primarily on that side which means I can also see what I'm doing better and my offside hand can just transition from squeezing the beanbag to doing a windage adjustment and my right hand can just stay on the trigger where it belongs)

Just my $.025

As long as Elevation and Windage has the same amount of available adjustment, there is nothing mechanical wrong with doing that. Just mark the knobs so you don't get confused.

As Dennis in VA stated, that's actually an advantage since you can see your windage setting.

You would not be able to do this with a scope that has SF parallax.

That is what I thought. I just sometimes have crazy thoughts, and have been told, more than once by several people to just let the thoughts pass, and never voice them. Thanks for the advice guys.

It'll be funny to see the look on people's faces when they're shootin next to you (if you shoot at a public range)
smile.gif

I've been running the scopes on my long range weapons like that for a while now.... I'm right handed and having the windage on the left side just makes more sense to me. I haven't run into any issues, but then again I don't run my gear nearly as much as the more experienced fellas on here... You'd be surprised at how often no one even notices! lol

Unfortunately, there arent many public ranges that are close, so I usually just go to a friend's house and shoot on his property, plus I've been looked at funny my whole life, so it wouldn't bother me anyhow!

Note to self--"Double check all scopes purchased from Alabama shooters".
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Note to self--"Double check all scopes purchased from Alabama shooters".
smile.gif

</div></div>
You should double check everything you get from Alabama...you know how us crazy rednecks are!!!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could just mount it backwards then the knobs would still work the correct way....</div></div>
Yeah, I could, but then I would have to use my right eye instead to be able to see through it right.

On some scopes, you should be able to swap the knobs as well I'd think?

(since up/down left/right is usually on the knobs....)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TLong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was dropped on my head as a child, and as a result, I shoot left handed. I was just thinking, (I swear one day I will stop) that if I were to mount a scope sideways, where the windage knob was now my elevation and vice versa, if they both had the same moa movement, in theory it would still work right? </div></div>

your idea is sound. It does work.

BUT let me give you this.

the windage on a typical riflescope is on the wrong side for a right handed shooter anyhow.

Theirs needs to be on the left. This way your firing hand stays on the rifle, and the support hand dials windage.

For us, the right side wind knob is correct.

Think about it, quit moving your firing hand, and use your right hand, it works real well.

John

I mounted a scope "sideways" (rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise) when putting on an M1 Garand.

I had to do it so the clips could be loaded and ejected.

I was using a b-square scope mount.

Worked just fine.

Ding ding ding!! J Boyette is the winner!! (I exclaim as I patiently wait for my left hand windage ST10 to be built).

The windage being on the right side for right handed shooters is a standard that needs to go away-you lefties have it made!

A litle devil's advocate, but unless you are shooting a gas gun, keeping your right hand on the rifle does not mean squat (insofar as an advantage of a left side windage knob is concerned) as you are taking your hand off the rifle every time you work the bolt.

In addition, If you are using a sling you will be screwed with a left side knob.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A litle devil's advocate, but unless you are shooting a gas gun, keeping your right hand on the rifle does not mean squat (insofar as an advantage of a left side windage knob is concerned) as you are taking your hand off the rifle every time you work the bolt.

In addition, If you are using a sling you will be screwed with a left side knob.

</div></div>

I think the advantage was that you don't have to change your head position or take your eyes off the target....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A litle devil's advocate, but unless you are shooting a gas gun, keeping your right hand on the rifle does not mean squat (insofar as an advantage of a left side windage knob is concerned) as you are taking your hand off the rifle every time you work the bolt.

</div></div>

I think the advantage was that you don't have to change your head position or take your eyes off the target....
</div></div>

Understood, but that was not what was stated above--which specifically referenced an advantage vis-a-vis keeping your firing hand on the rifle.

Also, it doesn't change the fact that a right-handed shooter in a slung position cannot use his left hand to adjust windage...or elevation for that matter

All I have to offer is WTF!?!?!?

Seriously... I use the elevation knob a lot more than the windage. I hold-off a lot for windage and I find it much easier to be on target if my elevation is dialed. Wind can shift and vary velocity a lot during a session at a specific range.

I've been to Alabama once and all I have to say is there are some nice folks down there!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Understood, but that was not what was stated above--which specifically referenced an advantage vis-a-vis keeping your firing hand on the rifle.

Also, it doesn't change the fact that a right-handed shooter in a slung position cannot use his left hand to adjust windage...or elevation for that matter </div></div>

Agreed sir,
I got a left windage USO from another member, it was more of a "gee whiz"..
I usually dial elevation and hold windage anyway (as others have stated)

Yes, rotating the scope so one know sticks out to left works fine. It can even work if one knob is sticking DOWN if you have short turrets/adjustment housing OR an offset scope mount, and even with side focus. Fat fingered people can read on...

MOST sights follow the convention of:

...........CLOCKWISE is LEFT or DOWN

(viewed looking AT the "knob")
(civie peeps and scopes, SERVICE Rifles in the CMP sense are BACKWARD)

For a SCOPE that's rotated, One adjustment/turret UP, one to LEFT
Things Stay the same for you as when mounted normally: The Adjustment towards the SKY/Up is ELEVATION, the adjustmet to the horizon is Windage. Then just use CLOCKWISE is DOWN or LEFT. DOWN if twisting SKY pointed turret, LEFT if twisting Horizon pointed turret. (Completely disregard printing on the adjustment)

The flaw in the Clockwise Rule is about 1/5 or 1/6 of CHEAP scopes (say $100 or less nowdays) vialate the rule for one or both adjustments. I've worked deer sightin days at the Range for 15 years. As time goes on it's getting easier to apply The Rule then squint at the adjustment markings! Also, about a third or more of these cheap scopes may be marked 1/4 In or MOA at 100 yards, but actually RESULT in 1/2 in or MOA per click at 100 yards.

The RULE is LESS Followed for pistols, something like 2 of 4 companies follow it, with 1 each violating it in one or more adjustments (S&W Colt Rugar High Standard)

"Red Dot" sights are all over the place in regards to "The Rule"

A few years back, a left handed friend showed up at the range the evening before deer season with his 12 ga slug gun. I was cleaning up the trash targets well after sunset and deep into twilight. The gun had fallen in the closet and the owner had "rotated" the scope tube to get a knob pointed Upward again, tightened the screws and panic dashed for the range. I moved behind him to spot. His 1st shot at 25 yards hit four feet left and low in the dirt. Wow. He was cranking desparately on the adjustments when I asked him why his scope was mounted wrong (adjustments on left and top sides) Amazing what your former elevation and windage adjustments of the scope are when they become your after rotation windage and elevation setting!

There is actually at least one factory scope for this.
That is Zeiss 3-12x56 "Jocke Smålänning"
Jocke Smålänning is a competion shooter and proffesional shooter in Sweden. He think it's wrong to have the windage turret on the right side where the ejection is and have therefor had Zeiss to make a special run of those sights.
Those sights does also have a special reticle.
He has a webpage http://www.smalanning.se/
I don't know if you can get those sights through Zeiss in the US, or you have to buy them through him.

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is actually at least one factory scope for this.
That is Zeiss 3-12x56 "Jocke Smålänning"
Jocke Smålänning is a competion shooter and proffesional shooter in Sweden. He think it's wrong to have the windage turret on the right side where the ejection is and have therefor had Zeiss to make a special run of those sights.
Those sights does also have a special reticle.
He has a webpage http://www.smalanning.se/
I don't know if you can get those sights through Zeiss in the US, or you have to buy them through him.

Håkan </div></div>

That's kind of funny. I routinely buy extra windage knobs with new high end scopes, just in case I sell them. My rifles PUMMEL the windage knobs.

One day you amateurs will step up and start holding your wind...
grin.gif

This has been a very interesting thread. I noticed on my Premier Heritage, if not for the side-parallax/illumination assembly, one could rotate the scope 45 degrees CCW, change knobs, and use it normally.

Rotating it would be out of the question though, because I'm not willing to do without the parallax/illumination assembly.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I noticed on my Premier Heritage, if not for the side-parallax/illumination assembly, one could rotate the scope 45 degrees CCW, change knobs, and use it normally.

Rotating it would be out of the question though, because I'm not willing to do without the parallax/illumination assembly.
cool.gif
</div></div>

Plus how often is the wind only coming from the left? It'd be hard to dial any right into a R->L wind with the zero stop.....

Primary reason's I'm having my ST10 done with Left windage are:
-to provise a clean right side, because its on my SPR and a windage knob on the right limits my view of the JPoint I have mounted at 1:00 on my forend.
-CDI factor is off the chart!
-Because with the good folks at USO I can!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One day you amateurs will step up and start holding your wind...
grin.gif
</div></div>

yup...

smile.gif