• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Mounting Help?

tacshooter223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2009
Destin, FL
I went shooting a few days ago and to zero the new scope I had to use the windage a lot to get it zero-d. [around 4 out of 5 turns]. Does this mean my rings are off? The base is off?

I'm not sure where to even start to try and get this thing centered with the barrel if possible.

Rifle specs:
Savage 12 FLV
EGW 20 MOA rail
TPS 30mm rings
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50

Thanks for any help.

Re: Mounting Help?

Looking for something cheaper than USO if possible and need ones that fit a picatinney [that's spelled wrong] rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was the reticle centered before you started? </div></div>
Yes.

It might be possible to get closer to true by rearranging your rings. Swap the front and rear, reverse the front and/or rear, etc. Do you have access to measurement tools or access to a friend that can check it out for you? I would think this is preferable to randomly swapping parts until things line up "as they should."

BTW did you ream the rings or do anything to them before installing the scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neutronics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It might be possible to get closer to true by rearranging your rings. Swap the front and rear, reverse the front and/or rear, etc. Do you have access to measurement tools or access to a friend that can check it out for you? I would think this is preferable to randomly swapping parts until things line up "as they should."

BTW did you ream the rings or do anything to them before installing the scope?
</div></div>
Sounds like a good idea.. I have a caliper if that counts? What parts should I measure?

And no I didn't ream them

Alternative to measuring everything you can clamp the rifle in a vise and point the crosshairs at a mark on the wall. Then start flipping and/or reversing the rings, remount the scope and see if the POA changes.

If you only have a caliper you might want to have a smith check it out. You can't check everything that needs checking with a caliper only.

I don't believe it an uncommon issue for Savage rifles to have their scope mount hole pattern lying in an angle compared to the axis of the receiver. With the round receiver it can cause a lot of problems because not only will the base mount up pointing in the wrong direction, it will twist when the screws are tightened down. (This can be alleviated somewhat by bedding the base.)

I don't know that I'd go swapping parts around. The upper and lower parts of the rings are usually milled as matched pairs, from what I've been told. I may be wrong.

In any case, Burris Signature Zee rings allow you to apply a lot of correction through the use of inserts. I had to use them on a Remmy 700 that I had on which the barrel was installed crooked. I had to apply something around 30min of windage correction to get it zeroed. The rings go for around $60 a set and are made of steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rezmedic54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Millet Angle-Loc rings wind the winsage adjustment. This way I get all the winage out with the rings and then have plenty on the scope. </div></div>
I've also used the Millet Angle-Loc rings (about $30) very helpfull with windage problems but on occasion can be a bear to adjust to get the scope near zero. Boresight first if possible and start out with scope knobs centered.