• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes mounting scopes do's and donts

dyna962007

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2012
STL MO area
Hi, Is there any kind of tutorial or article or anything I can read that is comprehensive on the proper mounting techniques for putting a scope on a Remington 700 rifle.
There must be some rules of thumb on mounting the rings, the tube, torques, what to mount first,
How far from shooters eye to position scope, etc etc.
thanks, Mike

Re: mounting scopes do's and donts

Rule of thumb #1, buy QUALITY mounts and rings! Yes, this means they cost a bit more.

Rule of thumb #2, eye relief has to be set by the user...It's your eye looking through the scope!

Rule of thumb #3, start at the bottom. Base, then bottom ring halves, scope, then top ring halves.

I would also torque all screws for the base and the rings according to the manfacture for the rings.

This won't apply to the OP but this thread seems like a good place.

I recently purchased a Burris AR-332 for my Noveske Rogue Hunter. I took the gun to the range last week for a sight in and shoot. I was able to tighten up the groups some but left unsatisfied with my progress. I wrote it off as a new gun, scope and not much shooting.

I took the gun to the range again this morning and had to keep adjusting my POA to hit steel targets. The last time I fired the gun I noticed a rattling sound.

The scope was moving around on the mount so I used some locktite and tightened the mounting screws. Monday I will return to the range for more shooting.

I believe vortex optics has a great video showing exactly how to mount a high end scope.

You guys prefer any manufacturer over another for feeler gauges on scopes? Or are they all pretty much the same when it comes to mounting a scope?

If you purchase quality components, do not lap the rings, locktight your base screws, buy a QUALITY torque wrench (borka)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just remember.....

Inch lbs, not ft lbs </div></div>

Haha, yeah that would probably make a difference.

This is all quality advice. It would be BETTER if you used the blue loctite on the base screws.