Movie Theater Movies that should never be remade...

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
The new "Red Dawn" to me ranks as one of those movies that shouldn't be re-made...

Not that movies should be re-made, anyway. Seems like a way out of, say, original thinking? But since those who make movies seem to insist on re-making them these days... what movies do you think were so perfect the first time that it would be/is/was a tragedy to re-make them?

A few I can think of:

Casablanca
Blazing Saddles (not that you *Could* ever re-make it)
Star Wars
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Dirty Harry
The Outlaw Josey Wales

I have more I could list...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2007
CONUS
Re: Movies that should never be remade...

The movies that should be remade are ones that were great ideas, but poor executions. Unfortunately, that reasonable creative reason to remake a film is counter-intuitive to the business of filmmaking, where remaking a failed film in the hopes of making it better will likely not draw people to theaters because they are reminded of how poor the first one was.

And a big part of the reason you see remakes in the first place is Hollywood studios trying to hedge their bets. Films are damned expensive gambles these days and anything they can do to help get people into seats, the better for the bottom line. So they become creatively risk averse and decide it's safe to make remakes and sequels that they think everyone will go see (and it works, to a degree).

BMelton

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
Moss Bluff, La

Read a few days ago that Tony Scott (RIP) and Jerry Bruckheimer along with Mr Cruise were entertaining "Top Gun II" God help us. Hollywood has erroded into a pile of useless clowns with no sense of imagination or creativity.

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2007
CONUS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMelton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hollywood has erroded into a pile of useless clowns with no sense of imagination or creativity.</div></div>

This is completely inaccurate, though entirely expected from the outside looking in. For the reasons I wrote about in the post above yours, it's the business side of Hollywood that turned very risk averse over the years - not the creative side. So if you're looking for bold, creative ideas you generally have to look at studios outside of the system (ie independents and premium networks like HBO). They don't have the kind of pressures to fill sits in theaters for a window of time and tend to work with smaller budgets that are less of a gamble if things go sour.

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMelton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hollywood has erroded into a pile of useless clowns with no sense of imagination or creativity.</div></div>

This is completely inaccurate, though entirely expected from the outside looking in. For the reasons I wrote about in the post above yours, it's the business side of Hollywood that turned very risk averse over the years - not the creative side. So if you're looking for bold, creative ideas you generally have to look at studios outside of the system (ie independents and premium networks like HBO). They don't have the kind of pressures to fill sits in theaters for a window of time and tend to work with smaller budgets that are less of a gamble if things go sour. </div></div>

That ^^^ I totally agree with!

Unfortunately, good creative film-making is an art. And the side business is run by accountants, actuaries and risk managers.

Re-making a classic title makes them happy because you can tip the scales towards success enough to make the numbers work. Then constrain the artist to the old script or formula (thus the sequals that go on for decades.)

Only a few directors/writers/etc. have the track record to pursue the novel or the creative.

Cheers,

Sirhr

salty dog

Minuteman
May 28, 2010
the bluegrass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new "Red Dawn" to me ranks as one of those movies that shouldn't be re-made...

Not that movies should be re-made, anyway. Seems like a way out of, say, original thinking? But since those who make movies seem to insist on re-making them these days... what movies do you think were so perfect the first time that it would be/is/was a tragedy to re-make them?

A few I can think of:

Casablanca
Blazing Saddles (not that you *Could* ever re-make it)
Star Wars
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Dirty Harry
The Outlaw Josey Wales

I have more I could list...

Cheers,

Sirhr
</div></div>
lonesome dove
forrest gump
raging bull
terminator

maxpower220

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
Tampa, FL

Pulp Fiction
Dumb and Dumber

I find that Hugh Jackman has many physical attributes similar to Clint Eastwood. I would like to see the "Dirty Harry" franchise restarted with Jackman. Maybe a story of Inspector Callahan shooting Nancy Pelosi or something along those lines. Just a thought.

SledDog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2009
Saint Helens, Or

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"Manhunter"
</div></div>
With William Peterson? It has been remade to Red Dragon.

ProImaging

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
Alabama
www.proimagingonline.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helen Keller 02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fern gully. Am i rightm or am i right? </div></div>

x2...lol

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA

Anything made by Stanley Kubrick. Anything made by Akira Kurosawa.

Good, Bad, Ugly for sure. Hell, anything Sergio Leone. I think it would be best to steer clear of trying to redo anything Tarantino also.

I guess it all comes down to the director for me. And note each one of those directors above are all artists that refrain from "doing what it's told".

GUNNER75

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Jun 29, 2005
    SW KS

Where the Red Fern Grows.

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
    Minuteman
    Aug 10, 2001
    AZ

I am less concerned with previoous movies than I am about the one I'm watching. I try to judge each production according to its own merits, and not by comparison to (an)other(s).

Greg

Timo Turl

Minuteman
    May 24, 2010

Platoon
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Debbie Does Dallas

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Nov 15, 2007
    Glacier Valley Alaska

I'll play:

Casablanca
    Maltese Falcon
    Forbidden Planet
    Sahara
    Man Hunt
    Bullet
    Ronin
    African Queen

Commander Cody

Way too many to list but these are my top favs, any boggy or duke movies and any 50s sci fi,

Ones that shouldn't have:

The Day the Earth Stood Still
    The Searchers
    War of the Worlds
    Stagecoach several times

aur0ra145

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    May 25, 2012
    DFW, TX

Run Silent, Run Deep. Seriously, how can you beat Clark Gable?

Exo

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jan 20, 2011
    El Mirage, Arizona

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Platoon
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Debbie Does Dallas </div></div>

I thought they already re-did Debbie Does Dallas?

^^ correction, i re-read the OP and see that this a "was/is/be" question...

Krav69

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Mar 24, 2007

Three Days of the Condor
    E.T.
    Indiana Jones
    The Fifth Element
    Collateral
    Alien(s)

Sure would be nice if Hollywood would get some original ideas for once.

I'd like to start a grass-roots effort to boycott any and all re-makes, re-boots, etc.

Maybe then Hollywood would come up with something original.

maxpower220

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Feb 17, 2010
    Tampa, FL

I just watched part of "The Highlander". I would like to see a movie that followed the life of one of the other guys (who obviously gets his head looped off at some point). He could be from any old country with any type of life experiences.

With modern technology, the film could be pretty amazing. Perhaps, his mentor could be Liam Neisen or Russel Crowe and the star could be Chris Hemsworth or Sam Worthington with the maybe the Rock as the "bad" guy who loops off everyone's head. Just a thought.

jtpickens

Private
    Minuteman
    May 9, 2006
    weston,wv

Cannibal Holocaust no way can todays Hollywood ever pull off a classic like this
    McQ
    Southern Comfort
    the Wind And The Lion
    Ulzanas Raid
    Mad Max
    Animal House
    Police Academy
    The Wild Bunch

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
    Minuteman

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yentl and anything with Jane fonda in it.</div></div>

^^^ Those are movies that should never have been made in the first place!

Cheers,

Sirhr

swampbuck

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    May 11, 2012
    Mississippi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yentl and anything with Jane fonda in it.</div></div>

^^^ Those are movies that should never have been made in the first place!

Cheers,

Sirhr </div></div>

Thats for sure.

Lawrance of Arabia
    Last of the Mohicans
    The Longest Day
    All quiet on the Western Front
    Dr. Zhivago
    Saving Private Ryan
    Mary Poppins "Plug for my kid"
    The Sound of Music "Plug for my wife"
    Fox and the Hound

Friar

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    May 3, 2011
    PA

Leave "Jeremiah Johnson" alone. Great flick, I'd hate to see it redone.

slg888

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    May 5, 2009
    Knoxville,TN

Oh Warriors come out to playayeeee!

the-warriors.jpg

asmith5144

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, NE

One of the best holiday comedies that I can think of is "national lampoons Christmas Vacation" with Chevy Chase. This movie was freaking hilarious and there is no way a remake could be done any better. Maybe not a top 100 movie but still a classic.

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
    Minuteman
    Jun 21, 2007
    CONUS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swampbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Lawrance of Arabia
    </div></div>

"Lawrence of Arabia" is celebrating its 50th anniversary this month. If you live near a big city you may find a screening as they've remastered it for the 3rd time now, this time with a 4K digital intermediate.

normbal

CPT USA (ret)
    Minuteman
    Aug 18, 2006
    Silver Spring, MD
    www.scribd.com

Blade Runner.

Ridley Scott has remade it so many different times it would be superfluous, redundant, ridiculous to make yet another version.

I still like the original.

softcock

novice judgmental prick
    Supporter
    Commercial Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 24, 2006
    Oregon

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">From Dusk Till Dawn </span> </span></span>.
    Cant make it any better than it was done the 1st time around .
    -
    <span style="font-weight: bold">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9FCOAEPHHM</span>

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
    Minuteman
    Jun 21, 2007
    CONUS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Thing.</div></div>

The 1982 John Carpenter version was a remake of a 1951 version, though obviously more "re-imagined" than a straight remake.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Thing.</div></div>

The 1982 John Carpenter version was a remake of a 1951 version, though obviously more "re-imagined" than a straight remake. </div></div>

Sad thing is knew that before i posted just failed to remember it lol. But yeah John Carpenters was definitely more re-imagined.

VisionPro Shop

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Aug 24, 2012
    U.S.A.
    www.visionproshop.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hobo With a Shotgun

Nothing can surpass the original..... </div></div>

I think I only kept wasting my time to see if it could actually get any worse. It did.

jakelly

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Dec 31, 2011
    Norman, OK

Indiana Jones
    Field of Dreams
    Meet Joe Black
    American History X
    Bloodsport
    Youngblood
    Rocky
    American Beauty
    several that have been mentioned
    several more that will pop up throughout the next week
    Some movies have a place in time where they work, and some are so much a part the people producing them that you cannot separate them.

athhud

Minuteman
    Sep 17, 2007
    Florala, Alabama

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MINITS iWitness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I think I only kept wasting my time to see if it could actually get any worse. It did.</div></div>

If you enjoyed Hobo With a Shotgun, Paintball is a must see!