• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing moving targets

giliganz

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2008
mn
So theres been too many times coyote hunting when more then one show up and we drop one but the second shot is a moving target. About how much lead on a coyote running right to left at 150 to 200 yards with a hp rifle. I seem to be slinging lead with no success.

Re: moving targets

well you could do it the scientific way and figure the average speed of a coyote translate that into yrds per second, measure how long it takes your bullet to cover said distance. figure out how far that coyote travels in that time, convert distance to mils and bam you have your lead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: giliganz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya well im a plumber not a balistic calculator </div></div>

LOL... ok what caliber and bullet are you shooting?

dang that should catch em pretty fast, 3200fps on a yote running 35 - 40fps...hmmm, let me think about this for you... your shooting 95gr bullets @ 3200fps. you call in a dog, he sees you, takes off running @ 90 degrees from you, @ about 35 fps @ 100M (328ft) 328X35=11480, 11480/3250=<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">3.53ft </span></span> is what you would have to lead that running yote. if someone could convert that to MOA it would be helpful for my np-r1 and np-r2 reticles.
i just got one last night @ 80M running full speed aimed @ the front of his chest hit right behind the shoulder, ass over end.

I like your math,Skinney! Easier than the way I did it. I figured
328ft to the dog. The 3200ft/sec bullet will take 0.1025 sec's
to get there. The dog is moving at 35ft/sec so in 0.1025 sec's
he would get 3.5875 ft. while the bullet was in flight. Looks
like either way about a 1 mil lead would work. Wondering now if
it would be 2 mils at 200M, 3 at 300,etc. Might do the math later
when I'm not drinking,lol. Good stuff to know.

It also depends on your swing, ie: do you follow thru like a shotgunner or stop at the trigger break like most rifle guys (bad). If you follow thru hold point of shoulder and Wiley is toast.

for a man its easier general rule of thumb is take a walking lead and double it for jogging and triple it for sprinting.

Picture180.jpg

well its somthing to work with ill give it a try next moon. we would of dropped five more last moon if we woulda hit the runners, thanks guys

Yeah,to tell the truth,I swing on 'em and at 150yds-front of shoulder,100 and in middle of shoulder.Sometimes break 'em down
and have to shoot 'em again(damn I hate that....not!) Any farther
and I hope they stop and shoot at 'em then.

Very nice work skinney,,,, need you beside me giving lead advice on runners. I don't do the sceintific way,,, just eyeball it and turn it loose. Took many years to get the hang of it,,, just like shooting skeet with the scatter gun,,, no time to calculate.

One got hit behind the ear yesterday at about 220. he was in that loping gate. Held at the front of the nose with a 22-250 45gr jhp.

Copper, heard through the grapevine, a few snowmobilers east of rapid over in the wall area, ran down over 30 dogs in a day, must of been alot in that area.

I shot a fox once that was on a dead run at about 150yds. As best I can remember, I aimed just in front of him and shot when the cross hairs were just in front of the shoulder. I was resting the rifle on a fence post. It hit him dead in the shoulder. I always considered it a lucky shot.