• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Moving Up In Scopes. Help Me Decide!!!!!!!!!!!!!

turbochad

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2009
KY
Ok, I have a new Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 I am looking to upgrade scopes from my trusty little Nikon Buckmaster to something a bit better. I have a $600 limit including tax. I already have bases and rings if I stick with a 1" tube. I want at least 18 power. The scopes that look the best to me so far are the Nikon Monarch in 5x20x44 or 6x24x50 and the Burris Fullfield II in 6.5x20x50. I can get an amazing deal on a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5x30x50 for $636 out the door but it doesn't seem to have the quality of glass the Monarch does. I think the local dealer has it priced wrong as the cheapest I have found that scope anywhere is $799. There is also a Zeis Conquest there in 4.5x14x44 that I can get for less then $600 but I am back to a lower power scope. What is your opinions on these choices and prices? I can get the Fullfield II in their tactical versions but the clarity looks no better, just cooler knobs and finish.

Re: Moving Up In Scopes. Help Me Decide!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about Vortex and Sightron optics? Both companies make pretty good scopes for the money and have models that fall within your requirements. I'd hook up with Scott of Liberty Optics, he'll get you a good scope and probably well within your price range as well.

Hey, thanks for the info. I guess I should have specified that we are doing a big shoot this weekend so I would like to buy something local. That Zeiss is sounding like a damn good deal. They are $849 on SWFA. The Bushnell 6500 is $899.

Hey Turbo...my man Alex at Euro Optics has a used Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 mil dot for $775!! Might wanna send him a message or call him. He might be open tomorrow as well. Great guy to deal with and he will get it to you quick...probably wont help for this weekend tho. thats a good deal.

Yea, I just can't wait. Come on guys, I need some advice here.

Well the question is...what scopes do you have available to you in your area that are in your price range?

Leupold 4.5-14x40 MK 4. You can find a Duplex for around $600, Mil dot will be a extra $100.

Picture782.jpg

I can get the brands mentioned above and of course Leupold. I don't think that MK4 would hold a candle to the Zeiss would it?

You're starting a whole new arguement there!! LOL. I have used both and in my opinion...the Zeiss better. I hear a lot of good things about the Sightron SIII but have never even held one. All the scopes in your price range are going to be comparable...MK4 is 30mm where the conquest is gonna be 1" tube. How far are you planning on shooting this thing?

It will mainly be 100-200 yds. Every once in a while I get to shoot 300+ but rarely. Is that a steal on the Zeiss and Elite 6500?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STWguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're starting a whole new arguement there!! LOL. </div></div>

+1

Take a look at a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 30mm.

Picture755.jpg

That isnt a bad deal...I hear you talk about power range...but if you talk to most you will find that guys shoot all day long out to 1000 yards at 10x...so I don't get caught up in that too much. I have some higher powered scopes, Nightforce 3.5-15 and a S&B 3-12 and am totally comfortable with those power ranges. Just remember...if you are doing everything around 200 yards power isnt going to be an issue for you.

I looked at the 4200 elite but thought it wasn't nearly as clear as the others. The only Leupold MK4's I am finding are over 1,000.

Your guns are pure bad ass btw

If it were me...and you're not gonna shoot much outside 300...i'd grab that zeiss and go shooting this weekend. Those 6-20's and such are just gonna be too much bro! Trust me. We shoot 100-200 all day long on our team with 1-4x powered NF's. You dont have to worry about too much drop at those ranges...if any. Look at the big pic.

Whatever you get, Scott @ LibertyOptics is the man. It is said too often, but his service is superlative, and no one beats his prices. Pretty much an unbeatable business model. I just ordered a Premier from him for my 223 MilSpec. Really a great guy. I would buy from if his prices were high LOL.

The problem is that I have to have it this weekend and I doubt he is going to sell that Zeiss at $600 or the 6500 Elite for $600. The only thing I can't stand about the Zeiss is that it's silver.

OH! Yup...wouldnt buy that Bankock special silver thing either. LOL. Just walk in there...put $600 on the counter and see what he will do.

Re: Moving Up In Scopes. Help Me Decide!!!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about Vortex and Sightron optics? Both companies make pretty good scopes for the money and have models that fall within your requirements. I'd hook up with Scott of Liberty Optics, he'll get you a good scope and probably well within your price range as well. </div></div>
Exactly what I would suggest also, Scott is IMO the best optics dealer I've dealt with. I've had Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 and for the money,is prolly the best scope out there.
Ive heard nothing but good about the Sightron SIII series as well. I think you'd be happy with either one.

Hunter

That is a steal on the Zeiss. I have a 6500 and let me tell you its optics are far better then the Nikon's. You say 300yds is the most? Dang I'd jump on that Zeiss? Burris sucks? Customer service is poor.

IOR 2.5-10 FFP MP8 in the for sale section as we type........

If you have a Nikon on there that works why not leave it alone and shoot with it this weekend so you can save a few more bucks and take some time researching and shopping for the scope you really want????

That being said, I had a Bushnell 3200 5-15x40 on my SPS Tactical .308 for a short time and was real happy with it. They can be found for well under $400 and have a 1" tube. I used mine at the range out to several hundred yards without issue. Just sold it a couple weeks ago and upgraded to a MK4 thanks to another hide member.

If you really like the Zeiss, and the silver finish is the only problem, you could just buy it and Krylon or Duracoat the thing black or whatever color you want. I wouldn't let a color issue let a great deal get away dude. I also wouldn't worry about the 14x top end not being enough if you're shooting a 300 yard max.