• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MPVO for a Gas gun

PistoleroJesse

Pistol:Expert Rifle:Novice Shotgun:Jackwagon
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2014
Indiana
I'm going to replace an LPVO (TR24) with a MVPO and offset RDS.

I was pretty dead set on a NF NXS 2.5-10x42mm. Regular price is $1600 on EuroOptic.

But there is a great sale on the Credo 2-10x36mm for $775

The NF has a better eyebox spec, parallax adjust, but is SFP. The Credo has FFP and a tree reticle, but no parralax adjust.

My question is of optical clarity and eyebox usability on a gas gun. Does the NF beat out the Credo in these regards to justify the price of it? I think I'm looking at durability as a wash, but let me know if I'm wrong there.

What am I doing with this optic? Before I was very 3 gun focused. But I'm moving to switch that up. I'm planning to focus on positional shooting (barricades and other props, medium range PRS type shooting on BC USPSA steel) about 60% of the time. Then probably 15% proned out shooting on paper, the other 25% will be a mixed bag of 0 to 200 yard 3 gun type stuff. This MPVO is going on a Colt 6944, meaning 14.5" barrel, so I'm going to be realistically limited to 700-800 Yards.

So what say the hide about these two scopes? If recommending another scope, it needs:
  • More than 35ft fov on the low end magnification
  • Weigh less than 24 oz
  • Cost less that $1800

Reactions: simonp
This is right up Ilya’s alley. He just did a detailed review of several MVPO’s. @koshkin

This is right up Ilya’s alley. He just did a detailed review of several MVPO’s. @koshkin
Paraphrasing from locals... said he doesn't consider the NXS in his MPVO bucket because it's SFP. He also said the parallax isn't a deal breaker on the Credo because of my use case.

I'm just trying to justify the wife's wrath in my mind to get the Credo before bonus time rather than the NF after bonus time...

Paraphrasing from locals... said he doesn't consider the NXS in his MPVO bucket because it's SFP. He also said the parallax isn't a deal breaker on the Credo because of my use case.

I'm just trying to justify the wife's wrath in my mind to get the Credo before bonus time rather than the NF after bonus time...
It really comes down to how you use the scope. If you only use reticle wind holds on highest magnification, SFP will work fine for you. I am perpetually finding myself on some intermediary magnification, so I strongly prefer FFP reticles.
That having been said, the 2.5-10x42 NXS is a really nice design and if they had it in FFP, I'd own one.

ILya

It really comes down to how you use the scope. If you only use reticle wind holds on highest magnification, SFP will work fine for you. I am perpetually finding myself on some intermediary magnification, so I strongly prefer FFP reticles.
That having been said, the 2.5-10x42 NXS is a really nice design and if they had it in FFP, I'd own one.

ILya
Yes, I recognized that I was going to be using 2.5x, 5x, and 10x and working harder on the math for hits. But maybe the amount of agonizing I'm showing here will reach NF marketing and hopefully they'll fix the mistake of the NX8 2.5x line in due time. But I'm not going to wait around another year. I asked if they could drop the Mil-xt into an NXS and predictably they told random guy with an email question no...

So I feel at that sale price, the Credo is a great value. But the wife's ire will put me in optic buying prison for a year... maybe two... maybe next time NF...

Last edited:
Lrhs 3-12 is the ticket.

Another great one is the swfa 3-15

Not having parallax adjustment is a deal breaker far as I’m concerned.

Just swapped out the Lrhs 3-12 for an swfa 6x.. could only shoot to 600 on the runway but everything was tidy.

If money is an issue I’d swfa 6x and offset a China dot and switch later down the road.

I run the NF 2.5-10x42 on a 308 gaser and like it for the application. It does have a fisheye thing at 10X that bugs me if I stay on the scope for extended times, but I don't usually do that with this particular gun.

I don't care about the parallax, it isn't a long range gun anyway. The illumination is fucky and the glass is clear and bright. Mine is for quick shots of semi-precision so SFP is important due to reticle always being usable. Were I looking to place precision fire, I'd choose a different...well...everything.

That gun is not going to be precise, and 700-800 is very optimistic, assuming you aren't in CO or the Himalayas.

The value of NF, to me, has always been rock solid mechanicals and almost bomb-proof durability. FFP is awesome for a range gun, or for field work that will not be stressful or from unusual positions. And, voice of experience: unless you train A LOT under stress, don't plan on that SFP math holding up too well. I can't tell you how many times I corrected on my Hensoldt 3-12 SFP set at 12 (when it is true at 6) and thought, " damn, I doubled my correct, how the fuck... I am a moron..."

Edit: FFP is awesome for ranging (with lots of practice) and for adjusting fire on the reticle. For semi-precision fire, which you will get out a 14.5 colt upper, I don't find it useful in shoot-n-move circumstances.

Last edited:
Any hesitation picking up a LPVO, i.e. Vortex Razor Gen 3? If you want more magnification then there are better options but for the applications you are describing and to you needs, it looks like you could do all of that with one scope. And still shoot 3gun with that setup and not have to worry about a secondary red dot. (Sell your red dot and there is your money for your 1x10).

Three main points of why I'm moving away from LPVO.
  • I hate small eyebox optics and will pay the weight penalty to get better 10x or more
  • I'm refocusing my training on middle distance shooting and less 3 gun hosing
  • I also wanted to start angling towards some NOD capability for passive aiming in the future

• Yea at 10x the Vortex is kinda tight, but ok if you have good fundamentals. All your previous responses mentioned 10x. Reading between the lines your looking more in the 3x15. I settled in the 3x15 and/or 3x18 for my DMR.
  • Build a DMR, and have two rifles? You wanted 25% or so to be able to do 3 gun, you’d be pretty hampered in the matches I run with a set up like we are talking. You can do pretty well in the 600x800 yard range with a 10x. If you are positional shooting more magnification doesn‘t always equal better results.
  • Who knew.

I have the Credo 2-10x36 on my 18” 5.56 gun and am quite happy with it. I shot the IWI gas gun challenge last weekend and was able to make hits out to 635 by both dialing and holding with the tree reticle. The lack of parallax didn’t seem to have any impact on my ability to make hits at extended range.