• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Mst 100 bdc

ScottVA

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2012
What velocity does the MST 100 scope need to make the BDC accurate? Also, where is this velocity measured? I read somewhere that it is several yards in front of the muzzle or something. Thanks for your help.

Scott

I thought it was somewhere in there. Using a 175g bullet, I guess a minor adjustment will be needed. I've heard that in that scope, the BDC does work reasonably well. Thanks for your help.

The newer MST-100s are set for 175 SMKs. The older Unertls were calibrated for the 173 FMJBTs at 39.5 MOA total. As always, minor adjustments will be necessary for environmental effects.

Great information Gunny! I don't know that I had ever read that. I have one that I need to get zeroed and I want to get the load set as close as possible to get the most out of the BDC. I know that getting that first shot on paper and setting the first zero at 300 yards can be a pain. Thanks for your help.

My tip for zeroing is get a good bore sight to start off and take it slow on the adjustments. Use the short arm of your allen wrench to make the adjustment keeping your hand on the long arm. Leave the wrench in the adjustment screw while you snug the set screw back up, then remove it. A tiny 1-2* adjustment of the screw will move you up to 1/2 moa depending on the scope, so again, take it easy! Don't try to use an "all in one" wrench set, they just don't allow the steady touch required.

Enjoy the scope and hopefully it goes well for you! Oh, and pics dammit! :D

Thanks so much for the tips. I appreciate the advice. I am concerned about getting a good initial zero since the bullet hole can't be seen at 300 yards. So moving the scope will be guess work. I didn't know that the scope will move that much with such tiny adjustments, so that tip is a huge one. I'll do my best to get some pics posted when I get her out and going! Thanks so much!

The key is getting a good bore sight to it. Pull the bolt, line it up on a recognizable object at distance, and adjust the reticle until it rests on the same object. That should certainly put you on paper and will also give you a good idea on how sensitive (or not) your particular scope is.

Gunny,if I fire at 300 yards and get on paper....can I move up to 100 yards or some distance where I can see the bullet holes and dial the scope to the holes with the scope still set on the 300 yard turret and get the initial zero? Or would that make it way off due to the distances being different?

The nice thing about the MST-100/Unertl is you can zero at 100, then confirm/tweak at 300. Just dial the proper yardage setting for where you're at though.

Why not get on paper at 300 and then place a marker over the hole that you CAN see?

Probably the best manual for that scope is to download an old copy of FMFM 1-3B (Sniping). Google it, you'll find them.

Okay Gunny...sounds good. I'll find that and give it a good look. Thanks..

MST-100 w/ American Ballistics 175s and Southwest Ammo 175 (M118LR load).

Get the parallax up front perfect before you start shooting.

Zero at 100.
200-1
300-1
400-1
500-1
1K+1

If you zero at 300, then you'll be 1" low (+1 adj) at 100 and you'll be 1K-1 (adj).

Enjoy the scope, its a lot of fun when you get it adjusted right.

MST-100 w/ American Ballistics 175s and Southwest Ammo 175 (M118LR load).

Get the parallax up front perfect before you start shooting.

Zero at 100.
200-1
300-1
400-1
500-1
1K+1

If you zero at 300, then you'll be 1" low (+1 adj) at 100 and you'll be 1K-1 (adj).

Enjoy the scope, its a lot of fun when you get it adjusted right.
Completely reliant on what DA you're shooting at and your particular rifle as well. I commonly have more than 1 moa swings from the morning to the afternoon, especially in the spring or fall, and I've had cold mornings at Quantico where I was dialing 10+3 and holding over one mil to hit at 900. Man I wish I had a Kestrel and FDAC back then...

Redmanss,

Great point-- saw his handle and assumed he was in VA like me. Altitude below 700 ft with temperature in mid-70s (Quantico and PNTC). Figured this would get him close enough to targets at range so he could make his own adjustments.

Love the FDAC...

Steve

Yes guys, this information is huge. I am outside Richmond VA and 1.5 hours from Quantico. I have shot on Range 4 at Quantico several times during benchrest 1000 yard matches. These figures will get me close, but as Gunny advised...I've seen zeroes change from morning to afternoon by a great deal due to weather. Thanks alot for the information. Also Gunny, that link to the USMC Sniper instructional is an awesome read! I appreciate that.

Scott

Awesome bro, hope you enjoy the rig. I will be putting much rounds down with my '40 this next leave... Favorite gun, period.

I agree, Gunny. I have several benchrest rifles in both light and heavy gun varieties that really shoot well, but this 40 is just a super rifle and my favorite as well. I hope I can get a good zero with it because I know I'll enjoy shooting it. You've been a huge help and I appreciate it.

Great idea! Does 900" represent the bullet's first line of sight crossing and put you on at 300 yards?