• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes MST-100 USO mount issue... HELP!

mcm308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2008
Bloomfield, NJ
I am mocking up the MST-100 onto Nelly and it appears the front ring is out of alignment. About .020 rear tilt which means .020 gap between the scope and ring at the back and no gap at the front. It is clearly noticeable ... I don't like it... Can this be lapped out or is this mount fucked.
Before I call George or John, I want to see if I can fix it myself. Pics in a few minutes. Thanks Guys!

Re: MST-100 USO mount issue... HELP!

IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

The scope is loosely fit and the top half is flush on the scope. I didn't even snug the rings down and the scope's finish is marred... I don't care about ring marks but still..
frown.gif

I wouldnt mess with it,I had that happend once with Leupold rings..Id call tomm and just ask for a new cap or something like that.

It's not the cap... It's the lower half which is the whole mount....

Remove the scope from the mount and lay a good straight edge across the ends of the front and rear rings (both sides, one side at a time) - the straight edge will be parallel to the barrel. This will tell you whether it's the lower mount or simply the ring cap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remove the scope from the mount and lay a good straight edge across the ends of the front and rear mount (both sides, one at a time). This will tell you whether it's the lower mount or simply the ring cap. </div></div>

Did that and it's the lower mount...

I'm not sure if USO still make this mount. They might be able to remanufacture it for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure if USO still make this mount. They might be able to remanufacture it for you. </div></div>

So... your saying it can't be lapped or anything?

If you take the upper half off and put the screws in are the perpendicular? It almost looks as if they may be crossthreaded. They screws look to be perpendicular to the base but the upper is canted. If one side was cross-threadedat at the start the other side would follow suit. Just an observation. I could be wrong.

I had the same issue.I was a bit pissed, but a few minutes with the lapping bar and I was up and running.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The scope is loosely fit and the top half is flush on the scope. I didn't even snug the rings down and the scope's finish is marred... I don't care about ring marks but still..
frown.gif
</div></div>

I'm waiting on the same scope/mount combo with my GAP...given the cost and the time spent waiting I'd be seriously pissed if the fit is that bad and the finish was marred when fitting.

It's a "less than my expectations" situation.....and I'd expect the manufacturer to put it right at their expense - especially one as that is as well-respected.

Just my £0.02

The caps and the screws are fine.. here is a straight edge accross the bottom... To better show whats going on...
IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

Looks like the screw on the left side is canted? You may want to check to see if the base of the screw is clear of debris or anything?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like the screw on the left side is canted? You may want to check to see if the base of the screw is clear of debris or anything? </div></div>

The rings caps tighten fine without the scope

IMG_1102.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The scope is loosely fit and the top half is flush on the scope. I didn't even snug the rings down and the scope's finish is marred... I don't care about ring marks but still..
frown.gif
</div></div>

I'm waiting on the same scope/mount combo with my GAP...given the cost and the time spent waiting I'd be seriously pissed if the fit is that bad and the finish was marred when fitting.

It's a "less than my expectations" situation.....and I'd expect the manufacturer to put it right at their expense - especially one as that is as well-respected.

Just my £0.02 </div></div>

If I had ordered the rifle with the scope pre-mounted as a package and it came like that, I would've been severely ticked... But that's not the case so it's not GAP's problem...I would think if GAP mounted the scope and found this problem, they would've corrected it.

I need to talk to John at USO about it and see what he says to do.. I'm ticked but shit happens..

I understand. The guys at GAP ordered my scope and mount in. Something like this falls at the door of the manufacturer of the kit, not the smith installing it.

Assuming your steel rule is flat on the rear scope ring/base I'd have to agree that it looks like the front ring is sloping backwards.

Is it welded or screwed to the mount base?

Hope you can get it sorted quickly and painlessly.

I'd like to know how it turns out.....

First I would lap the shit out of the rings. There is alot of room for that. Dont be afraid of even doing the tops too. Is this the gun from Gap that you had made? All of the MST-100s get ring marks when mounted. The scope mount is more diffacult to change than a good lapping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Assuming your steel rule is flat on the rear scope ring/base I'd have to agree that it looks like the front ring is sloping backwards.

Is it welded or screwed to the mount base? </div></div>

The steel edge is flat on the rear... The rings are welded to the base..

It is visible that the front ring is sloping backwards..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious; what happens if you snug the front screws down first? </div></div>

what you see in the 1st pictures is what happens and the screws are binding in the lower half holes..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did you get the base from?

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

I got the base from GAP..and GAP installed base onto rifle...

Call George and see if he has another one. I know we did a group buy production run on them (DAFAR ran it) I think JBWIII may have gotten some extra's along with the ordered ones.

That front ring doesn't look level from the pics and with that much a lapping bar won't help you.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That front ring doesn't look level from the pics and with that much a lapping bar won't help you.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

I got the calls put out...

Thanks

I just spoke with mcm on the phone, I am sending him another one.

It is hard to imagine that the ring could be canted back that far; when they are brazed onto the base there is a 1" arbor clamped into the rings.

If it was only a little off I would say just lap it in, but that one is really far off in my opinion.
John III

John beat me to it.

I can't say enough about the support and service you guys provide. Especially providing us few with these one of a kind items to build our replicas.

Great customer service USO!

Can't wait to get mine from the group buy.