• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muddy the waters - ANOTHER 6.5 cartridge - 6.5 P.R.C.

RedRyder

Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
With the popularity of the 6.5CM (I'm a 260 Rem guy myself) I'm not sure anyone here would want to spend the money on yet another 6.5 cartridge. But here is an article, submitted for your consideration. And yeah, I know this is a 2017 article -

65 PRC

Your opinions are welcomed.

Uh..yeah I mentioned it was a 2017 article. We move kinda' slow around these parts.

I see it becoming a popular hunting cartridge. Using it in a short action limits it’s potential but factory ammo works well. Most reloaders are go for long action to maximize the cartridge without running into mag length issues.

Factory 147's run about 2930 in my 22" hunting build. A little slower than my saum, but my saum is a pain in the ass to reload for.

When I shoot the barrel out of the saum it will become another PRC. As put above, the PRC is what the saum should have been. Real factory ammo is a nice option. (The prime saum ammo is limited on projectiles).

Nothing over a 6.5CM that interests me. But some folks are always looking to hot rod stuff and I suppose this will appeal to that crowd.

I own a 6.5 PRC and feel the same way. Im
Going back to creeds with rl26 than get me 80% of the performance with a lot better barrel life

Reactions: Earnhardt
My first venture into a large case rifle is the PRC. Been running Grendel for my shooting out to 1k.

Factory 147 ELD ammo in my MPA 26" is running 3020, and my RL26 reloads are the same with 54.14gr, single digit SD/ES. Unfortunately my shooting came to a screeching halt due to the availability (or lack thereof) of RL26.

I've only got ~600 rounds down the tube so I can not speak to barrel life. I think that is like MPG on a car, 70% of it is the driver.

$300 - $400 for a replacement barrel - I think your 80% is a little off. My Grendel runs faster than that. More like 90%+

It's an additional 240 yards before going subsonic based on 2695 FPS for the CM...Factory 147 Hornady ammo.

@ 1k
PRC 6.7 mil drop and 1.5 FV wind
CM 8.7 mil drop and 1.8 FV wind

Might be that the PRC is the right tool to maximize the higher BC bullets. Under 1k, the CM probably is the more efficient option without hot rodding the reloads.

is it true the 6.5 PRC will not work in short action AI's?????

No, not unless AI start making Magnum bolts for the Short Actions. I was hoping to go this route. LA AI bolts won't fit SA bolt body...

On another note, i have an MRAD and it should work, but Barrett don't make 6.5 PRC barrels :(

OOPS, sorry, re-read your post.

$300 - $400 for a replacement barrel - I think your 80% is a little off. My Grendel runs faster than that. More like 90%+
42gr of RL-16 in Lapua brass under a 147gr ELD-M gave me 2900 fps in a 26" 6.5 Creedmoor. That's 96% of the speeds you were getting from factory PRC.

Reactions: Earnhardt
No, not unless AI start making Magnum bolts for the Short Actions. I was hoping to go this route. LA AI bolts won't fit SA bolt body...

On another note, i have an MRAD and it should work, but Barrett don't make 6.5 PRC barrels :(

OOPS, sorry, re-read your post.

And the PRC doesn’t feed reliably out of AW mag. Runs just fine out of an AXMC and the .300wm mags

Mine is a SA, Using AI 308 mags (no binder plate). Feeds just fine.

54.14gr RL-26 gets me 3020 out of a 26" MPA barrel, factory ammo runs the same.

42gr of RL-16 in Lapua brass under a 147gr ELD-M gave me 2900 fps in a 26" 6.5 Creedmoor. That's 96% of the speeds you were getting from factory PRC.

Try comparing apples with apples... What speed are you getting with factory 147ELD 6.5 Creedmoor ammo? Then compare it with factory 147ELD PRC velocity.

With 57.5gr RL-26 using 147ELDs I get 3150fps in my 28" 6.5PRC. Anyone can bump the numbers with handloads.