• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mushroom hunter's knife

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
Probably not the right place to put this but it is Vintage. and feel free to move it.
Have you ever come across a Mushroon Hunter's knife?
Neighbor scored one at an estate sale, in a $2 box of junk, and had no idea what it was other than old as hell and very high quality.
I got to look at it and didn't even try to take pictures as I can't get them from my phone to here.

They are neat and I make my own with a cheapo steak knife and a small paint brush and some duct tape for when I go. FM

No, they are a fine knife with a bristle type brush out of the other end of the handle.
You cut off the mushroom and turn the knife around and use the brush end to clean off dirt, pine kneedles etc.
They can be fragile and are a very special, hard to carry item.

My discription of a steak knife and a small paint brush taped together, end for end, is the best I can come up with.

They are not very practical unless you are doing only mushrooms in the boonies.

The idea is great and works well, just not something you would ordinatly carry.

The post above is on it. The old ones don't use steel bristles as you are not trying to skin the mushroom, just brush the dirt off.

Reactions: Gregor.Samsa
Mora makes a horsehair brush version.

@Davo308 Now your talking what I was thinking of. I will be buying one or 4 of those knives.

All of the older ones I have ever seen have the brush coming out of the end of the handle.
This looks to me to be a much better solution. Thank you. FM

Reactions: Davo308