• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Muzzel Break on a .670 @ 26 inches

CHEYTAC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2005
NC
I have a .30 cal barrel that is .670 at 26 inches is this barrel to small for a muzzel brake , some might say over time this barrel may not have enough meat left in it after it is threaded , your thoughts

Re: Muzzel Break on a .670 @ 26 inches

You could still thread it 5/8-24, but wouldn't have much of a shoulder. You might run into trouble if you were trying to run a suppressor, but locktite the brake and you'll be fine.

if it is to small chop an 1 or 2 inches off and you should be good then.

I'm thinking no myself , but had to ask

I would look at one of the 9/16 threads. That will give you a .562" threaded tennon and plenty of shoulder to tighten against. There are a lot of barrels that size wearing muzzle brakes. Shop around and find a brake that you like. Most of the brake makers offer them with some version of 9/16. IIRC Vias and Hollands are 32 tpi, Ross Schuler offers a couple of different tpi options. I can't remember what Harrel's tpi is.

I would vote a second on the 9/16, fairly common on all the hunting rifles out there that are in the lighter contours, from my experience with 10 or more of these type barrels, I really like the Vias brakes out of the ones I have used.

Kp

There are some good brakes out there that clamp on without any threads as well as some thread ons that use a clamp so the shoulder and/or timing aren't issues.

You can also go custom on the break if you don't see what you want. Threads can be cut at any size/pitch.