• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle Brake Sound Forwarder... Myth, Gimmick, or legit?

Fred Bear

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2022
TN
The idea of an muzzle brake that reduces recoil and also reduces noise to the shooter sounds amazing. There are tons of products advertised to do just that. However, the fact a muzzle brake reduces recoil by directing blast in directions other than straight away from the shooter the idea that a brake could redirect the blast/recoil while still sending the sound downrange seems unlikely. Is it possible to reduce the recoil and the sound to the shooter with the same device (non-suppressor)? This seems to be a good article on sound levels and brakes but I don't think those brakes are the ones advertised to do sound forwarding. Anyone use a muzzle brake sound forwarder that seemed to reduce both recoil and noise?

Maybe a "W" design, where the standard brake works normally with the exiting gasses dispersed to minimize recoil, but another angled protrusion brake face to redirect THOSE gasses after as a blast wall from the shooter.

I think it could work but it would need to be something like a rear venting comp, inside a gallon paint can. :D

(On man, now I want to try that! Not because think it will work, just because I want to hear the sound it makes. Off to Home Depot....)

IMO, if it's possible to be done, it would have been done and sold for $500 by Surefire... Even if it was, it will never be reduced enough to where you can't wear ear pro safely.

The idea of an muzzle brake that reduces recoil and also reduces noise to the shooter sounds amazing. There are tons of products advertised to do just that. However, the fact a muzzle brake reduces recoil by directing blast in directions other than straight away from the shooter the idea that a brake could redirect the blast/recoil while still sending the sound downrange seems unlikely. Is it possible to reduce the recoil and the sound to the shooter with the same device (non-suppressor)? This seems to be a good article on sound levels and brakes but I don't think those brakes are the ones advertised to do sound forwarding. Anyone use a muzzle brake sound forwarder that seemed to reduce both recoil and noise?
Actually, while they certainly do not make anything quieter, I have found that my JMac Customs BDS-37 Blast Diverter on a KeyMo brake DOES actually work to project the sound and blast forward, and away from the shooter and those around the shooter. Even people standing beside me agreed it was more pleasant standing beside the shooter with it on.

As for those stupid YT videos I've seen that claimed you don't need hearing protection and that it's "as good as a suppressor", that's a complete load of shit. While it does divert the direction of the sound, it does nothing to mitigate the levels of it.

Reactions: FatCow