• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzlebrake Mayhem

Nobody seems to like the blast or noise on my Desert tech covert but they just say wtf and go on about their shooting. My buddy did tell me to switch rifles for a little bit one day but he didn't get any sand in his vajajay.

I'm good! lol. Seriously though, I have a brake on a rifle and have nothing against them. But when dudes are all "oh don't be a pussy just sit next to my brake and take it", that bothers the hell out of me. Just be a good person and be courteous. Let them know "this shit may be loud, tell me if it's painful and we can alternate strings." Done. THat is what I do when I shoot my braked rifle. I guess I just dont get the whole manly eardrum thing.

The smilie didn't attach, the electronic device is misbehaving again.

You and I are on the same page, courtesy and respect go a long way. All disabilities aren't necessarily visible and junk happens between people who don't understand or communicate.

Civil discourse solves a lot of problems b4 they become problems.
I have been guilty of uncivil b4, so, I'm not throwing stones.

I formerly had good hearing b4 a couple of grenades went off and a m2 Browning responded..... I understand ear pain real well. I've gone home with a headache from shooting my own toys. It doesn't have a damn thing to do with sand in my mangina. I've got lots of sand scar tissue now, my mangina is tough as old leather now. Just sayin.... ?

Now, all u hardasses leave me alone while I go in the blue thing.
No 1j, you can't go in with me.... no!!!!

Last edited:
Bender, I’m sorry buddy but your in second place now as Nik has officially smoked everybody? in all seriousness now, Seargent jpgolf at 5% are you fishin?

Nothing wrong with being courteous to your fellow shooters. I go out of my way to do so?

Reactions: Bender
If you are missing steel at 200-500 you got more issues than needing a brake!!
I was referring to PRS style stuff where most misses are because your shooting position is a bit awkward. Makes the muzzle brake a bit more important since it's harder to get recoil on target from the compromised position. That or you're shooting 1 MOA targets if you're lying prone, and when the wind gets blowing to 15+ mph those targets start to seem a whole lot smaller.

So, who got the hook outta that exchange of opinions over there? And just to state my opinion, I'm not in love with brakes, either, but they work.

Bender, I’m sorry buddy but your in second place now as Nik has officially smoked everybody? in all seriousness now, Seargent jpgolf at 5% are you fishin?

Nothing wrong with being courteous to your fellow shooters. I go out of my way to do so?
Hell no I,m not fishin. Or I am... What the hell is fishin? I did catch a large delicious bass the other day.

And prob not actually 5% but it is low. I lift heavy crap and eat like hell to stay around 185 at 6ft.

Right? Cause a real man would just sit and take the pain and deal with the hearing loss. Am I right? If we are talking real man shit why don't we just take the recoil like men and learn how to control it?
youre right, whining like a bitch about it is clearly the better approach.....

Reactions: Spblademaker
Agreed. If I am shooting next to my bud Gordon, I double up
ugh-double-up-ugh-ugh.jpg

I read through it all just now and don't understand the bans...Rob is usually very metered about banning someone without a good reason.

Maybe some posts got deleted by Rob.

Hell no I,m not fishin. Or I am... What the hell is fishin? I did catch a large delicious bass the other day.

And prob not actually 5% but it is low. I lift heavy crap and eat like hell to stay around 185 at 6ft.

Fihin for a date? All in fun now that Nik has served his tier 1 elixor for the tempers that were flaring?

I'm not naming any names, but I know these guys that have a private range with an elevated shooting platform for rifle and just to the right of it on ground level they have two pistol shooting stations set up on a dueling tree. Ive seen them shoot the dueling tree while the Barret .50 was barking from the rifle platform. It adds a lot of stress to be standing not that far from the blast and at least near the hot .50 BMG brass.

Some believe that you need to practice under stress, others want a Zen like peace to shoot. I kinda think each has a place.

I'm not naming any names, but I know these guys that have a private range with an elevated shooting platform for rifle and just to the right of it on ground level they have two pistol shooting stations set up on a dueling tree. Ive seen them shoot the dueling tree while the Barret .50 was barking from the rifle platform. It adds a lot of stress to be standing not that far from the blast and at least near the hot .50 BMG brass.

Some believe that you need to practice under stress, others want a Zen like peace to shoot. I kinda think each has a place.

Excellent point. Personally, I like shooting under stress. Stress teaches you much about yourself but I am not telling you what you don't already know.

youre right, whining like a bitch about it is clearly the better approach.....
Ahhh yes. There I go again. “Oh my hearing is now fucked because Darrel can’t man the fuck up and take the recoil of his 6.5” man I am such a little bitch.

The whining I hear comes in blast form from the side of a rifle. A lot of people hear a blast and concussion, I actually hear (at deafening levels)“ohhhhwhaaa, my wittle man-child shoulder can’t take it, I can’t see my hits because I can’t learn how to hold a fucking rifle correctly....ugh...ugh...ohhhhwhaaaa!” Lmao.

If you read that in the correct voice it’s hilarious. Again, all in fun nobody get their panties in a wad.

Excellent point. Personally, I like shooting under stress. Stress teaches you much about yourself but I am not telling you what you don't already know.
I’m down with training under stress but I also be down with being able to hear for a good while longer. Id also like to NOT hear a constant ringing in my ear for the rest of my life. I have borderline tinnitus from loud music back when I used to be cooler than I am now and that shit sucks.

you arent going to get hearing damage from a braked 6.5....so calm your tits.

should be doubling up on hearing protection anyways.
Had you read the thread you would see I do double up. And yes, you absolutely can get permanent hearing damage from a braked 6.5. I have no idea what reality you are living in where you can’t. I’m going to take a wild guess that you shoot sometimes with no hearing protection because “it’s fine”.

Muzzle break has nothing on a stack? Or a PA system right Bender.........right.......oh never mind?
Lamb Of God was the loudest thing I’ve ever heard......followed by Ill Ninio..... they had sooo much bass, you literally could feel it move the air in and out of your lungs around 25-30Hz..... it was mind blowing....

Reactions: RNWRKNP
Lamb Of God was the loudest thing I’ve ever heard......followed by Ill Ninio..... they had sooo much bass, you literally could feel it move the air in and out of your lungs around 25-30Hz..... it was mind blowing....

Cooperstown, Dokken/Great White. Didn’t hear right for two days but what a show?

@Nik H and I were driving out to the range, when we came around this corner and found this sheep hearder with one stuck in the fence, we stop to find him going to town on the poor thing.... the guy stopped when he saw us and asked,

“any of you guys wanna try this out?”

Nik says “Hell yes!”

Sprints out of the truck and pulls his pants down while purposely getting his head stuck in the fence by the sheep....

@Nik H and I were driving out to the range, when we came around this corner and found this sheep hearder with one stuck in the fence, we stop to find him going to town on the poor thing.... the guy stopped when he saw us and asked,

“any of you guys wanna try this out?”

Nik says “Hell yes!”

Sprints out of the truck and pulls his pants down while purposely getting his head stuck in the fence by the sheep....

Ouch and damn Nik, you gonna let’m cut a brother like that!???

The smilie didn't attach, the electronic device is misbehaving again.

You and I are on the same page, courtesy and respect go a long way. All disabilities aren't necessarily visible and junk happens between people who don't understand or communicate.

Civil discourse solves a lot of problems b4 they become problems.
I have been guilty of uncivil b4, so, I'm not throwing stones.

I formerly had good hearing b4 a couple of grenades went off and a m2 Browning responded..... I understand ear pain real well. I've gone home with a headache from shooting my own toys. It doesn't have a damn thing to do with sand in my mangina. I've got lots of sand scar tissue now, my mangina is tough as old leather now. Just sayin.... ?

Now, all u hardasses leave me alone while I go in the blue thing.
No 1j, you can't go in with me.... no!!!!

All good Brother. It's got a peeky hole around back. :ROFLMAO:

Has zero to do with scary and 100% do do with it being painful and damaging to my ears. I have about 5% body fat so maybe that makes the bone conduction to my ears worse than some people. I had no idea recoil was so scary....
What do you shoot on a regular basis, and how many rounds? A 300 RUM, 300weatherby mag, 338 LM, 30-378 weatherby(fairly common big magnums). Any of those and you are a minority in my experience if you enjoy 25-40 rounds a sitting without a brake, or you haven't shot one with a brake. I personally like brakes and am also considerate of other people at the range as I'm aware of the muzzle blast and what it feels like. Most people I meet at the range really aren't expecting what a 338LM does with a break, so I take the the time to let them know and get as far away as feasible, some obviously already know. Never once have I had anyone complain of the blast, usually the casuals come up and ask what the heck is that thing, kind of intrigued by it. So it is my opinion that yeah, recoil can be kinda scary, give a shit less if anybody thinks different. My guns,my choice, braked!!

Kansas at the Paramount Theater/Seattle, 77'ish timeframe. I couldn't recite my name for two days afterward. We were back of house, main floor. So loud, my eyes still bled. ZZ Top ? Hah, hah, hah, Funny.....loud ? what a bunch of pussies.....

Reactions: RNWRKNP and Bender
I triple dog dare you to get run over by a car, break your neck, have 5 injured vertebrae and discs, and then shoot a 50, a 408, or 375 without a brake. .

Recoil isn't scary to me, paralysis from the neck down is. Shooting im not giving up. So, if u see me coming with the 50 and brake, leave....

You ain't supposed to be shooting those rounds, especially the .50, without a brake anyway!

Reactions: W54/XM-388
"Mom! Jimmy was shooting and his brake was loud and kicked up some dirt that got in my eyes."

What do you shoot on a regular basis, and how many rounds? A 300 RUM, 300weatherby mag, 338 LM, 30-378 weatherby(fairly common big magnums). Any of those and you are a minority in my experience if you enjoy 25-40 rounds a sitting without a brake, or you haven't shot one with a brake. I personally like brakes and am also considerate of other people at the range as I'm aware of the muzzle blast and what it feels like. Most people I meet at the range really aren't expecting what a 338LM does with a break, so I take the the time to let them know and get as far away as feasible, some obviously already know. Never once have I had anyone complain of the blast, usually the casuals come up and ask what the heck is that thing, kind of intrigued by it. So it is my opinion that yeah, recoil can be kinda scary, give a shit less if anybody thinks different. My guns,my choice, braked!!
Yep. It’s that easy. Let the people around know what’s about to happen and tell them you’d be happy to alternate strings if the concussion hurts their ears, even when doubled up. Again, I don’t mind brakes....I just don’t get the “man up and take the eardrum pain” crowd.

"Mom! Jimmy was shooting and his brake was loud and kicked up some dirt that got in my eyes."
“Hey dad, this little guy at the range needed a brake on his 6.5 to be able to handle the recoil and see his hits. I told him he should learn some recoil management but he kept saying “huh? What?”

Parents get tired of worthless bantering either way. They just want their childern to stfu, get along, and have fun.

No one is on fire, bleeding, or bones broken. So whats all the commotion?

Why in todays society is your problems now my problems? Why must I change because you cant handle something? you don't like them, move. you don't like whats on the channel, change it. who cares why someone chooses to shoot with a brake or without a brake. maybe they just like the way it looks. maybe its a medical issue. maybe its because a 22LR is too much recoil for them. Next people will complain because joes gun is better than bills gun and that's not fair. take your vagisil and your WAH-made.

Here I thought we were out of junior high. I guess that is what I get for thinking.

When I used to do sound for a band, I seriously had people come up to me asking me to turn it down because they cant hear there friend talk standing next to a speaker. tough shit. move. just for that, lets turn it up. I always left a few clicks in the volume for those people.

Why in todays society is your problems now my problems? Why must I change because you cant handle something? you don't like them, move. you don't like whats on the channel, change it. who cares why someone chooses to shoot with a brake or without a brake. maybe they just like the way it looks. maybe its a medical issue. maybe its because a 22LR is too much recoil for them. Next people will complain because joes gun is better than bills gun and that's not fair. take your vagisil and your WAH-made.

Here I thought we were out of junior high. I guess that is what I get for thinking.

When I used to do sound for a band, I seriously had people come up to me asking me to turn it down because they cant hear there friend talk standing next to a speaker. tough shit. move. just for that, lets turn it up. I always left a few clicks in the volume for those people.
Fist bump ?

For a bit of seriousness and civility to this discussion, sheep and midgets excluded.

First, this is Sniper's Hide where we take marksmanship to the highest levels possible, and that includes taking our rifles to the highest level as well. We brake .22 cals here because we want every advantage available to make consistent shots on target in the most rapid way possible. We race clocks and we push both ourselves and our equipment beyond the envelope match after match, year after year. Twenty years ago we didn't even have matching reticles and turrets, we were shooting "Special Ball" in the Marine Corps, and bipods and detachable magazines were more the exception than the norm. Nothing with a .473" or smaller bolt face had a brake on it, even the M24 in magnum configuration was slick muzzled. Look how far we've come, builders and engineers are consistently creating new concepts and innovations every year that make our rifles and ammunition more accurate. A slick-muzzled rifle is a rare sight at a match and that is carrying over to the fields and forests where hunts are taking place. These innovations aren't crutches, instead progression in accuracy at long range, from cut rifled barrels on CNCs to turned solid projectiles with stupid high BCs to *gasp* muzzle brakes on non-magnum chambered rifles.

Nobody that I've seen are arguing that .50cal and Cheytac shooters or those with injuries should go sans brake. That would be stupid if they were, and I would love to see anyone shoulder fire a Barrett M99 with the brake removed to prove their point, it would most definitely be a self correcting error.

All that is needed on a tight range is respect to those on your left and right. It isn't "The 405" at rush hour in Los Angeles where you are expected to be pure asshole to everyone around you, it's a firing range where we should be amicable and considerate to our fellow shooters. I shoot both braked and slick, on the times I've been next to another shooter with the braked rifles I will give them a head's up I'm about to shoot, at times let them get their string off first or they let me do the same. It's not that hard, even in this day and age of limited face-to-face conversation amongst people, and you might just strike up a new friendship in the process. Common courtesy should not be an uncommon virtue.

Range owners and club board members, you can help improve your shooters' experience by either giving more space between shooting positions or providing barriers on your firing lines. Match directors should also take heed to improve their shooters' experiences as well, because putting shooters on a line where they're bumping feet and elbows while causing each other to eat dirt and blast sand into their high dollar ocular lenses is unnecessary.