• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzlebrake Mayhem

For a bit of seriousness and civility to this discussion, sheep and midgets excluded.

First, this is Sniper's Hide where we take marksmanship to the highest levels possible, and that includes taking our rifles to the highest level as well. We brake .22 cals here because we want every advantage available to make consistent shots on target in the most rapid way possible. We race clocks and we push both ourselves and our equipment beyond the envelope match after match, year after year. Twenty years ago we didn't even have matching reticles and turrets, we were shooting "Special Ball" in the Marine Corps, and bipods and detachable magazines were more the exception than the norm. Nothing with a .473" or smaller bolt face had a brake on it, even the M24 in magnum configuration was slick muzzled. Look how far we've come, builders and engineers are consistently creating new concepts and innovations every year that make our rifles and ammunition more accurate. A slick-muzzled rifle is a rare sight at a match and that is carrying over to the fields and forests where hunts are taking place. These innovations aren't crutches, instead progression in accuracy at long range, from cut rifled barrels on CNCs to turned solid projectiles with stupid high BCs to *gasp* muzzle brakes on non-magnum chambered rifles.

Nobody that I've seen are arguing that .50cal and Cheytac shooters or those with injuries should go sans brake. That would be stupid if they were, and I would love to see anyone shoulder fire a Barrett M99 with the brake removed to prove their point, it would most definitely be a self correcting error.

All that is needed on a tight range is respect to those on your left and right. It isn't "The 405" at rush hour in Los Angeles where you are expected to be pure asshole to everyone around you, it's a firing range where we should be amicable and considerate to our fellow shooters. I shoot both braked and slick, on the times I've been next to another shooter with the braked rifles I will give them a head's up I'm about to shoot, at times let them get their string off first or they let me do the same. It's not that hard, even in this day and age of limited face-to-face conversation amongst people, and you might just strike up a new friendship in the process. Common courtesy should not be an uncommon virtue.

Range owners and club board members, you can help improve your shooters' experience by either giving more space between shooting positions or providing barriers on your firing lines. Match directors should also take heed to improve their shooters' experiences as well, because putting shooters on a line where they're bumping feet and elbows while causing each other to eat dirt and blast sand into their high dollar ocular lenses is unnecessary.
Well stated.
The last part I think they do on purpose.

R

At some ranges , segregation works ok . Brakes one end of firing line , au natural the other
end . Brakes with backwards angled ports , like the Terminator T4 are absolutely cunty to
be next to . My 300 NM with T4 makes people swear at me ....

I would have given anything for a brake on any belt-fed or other F/A shit fired in anger. You want loud be under a M60a1 tank when a 105mm beehive rd is fired. I'm guessing the guys on the Battle wagons could say something about the 16"' guns as well if they were ever caught on deck.

Knitting might be a better hobby for those who think a brake is bad.

Well stated.
The last part I think they do on purpose.

R
The only purpose it can realistically serve is to sow discontent with their competitors from the suppressed vs braked shooters or increase suppressor sales for their sponsors, all while inducing the potential for a match ending eye injury for one or more of the shooters because virtually nobody wears foam sealed eye protection. Any of those purposes are bullshit reasons that far outweigh any form of competitive stress or stage fairness for those types of shoots. Get a wider firing line or put fewer shooters on line at one time.

The only purpose it can realistically serve is to sow discontent with their competitors from the suppressed vs braked shooters or increase suppressor sales for their sponsors, all while inducing the potential for a match ending eye injury for one or more of the shooters because virtually nobody wears foam sealed eye protection. Any of those purposes are bullshit reasons that far outweigh any form of competitive stress or stage fairness for those types of shoots. Get a wider firing line or put fewer shooters on line at one time.

Gotta love it when somebody sprinkles a little common sense on it?

Redmans points are spot on. And very valid. Pay attention.

For anybody that misses a certain point, a number of sarcastic, satirically minded people stay off other sections where somewhat childish arguments happen over things civil discourse much like Redmans comments above could and should easily settle.

Instead, those sarcastic satire minded people come to the bear pit and lamphoon the other sections arguments to make a point. And generally, 99% of the time, points like Redman' s are brought out and reasonable things are put on the table. And people learn.... learn, the whole purpose of Snipershide, to teach.

Remember the words, sarcastic, satirical, and lamphoon.... it will happen in the bear pit, and generally from people who know the correct thing that should be done, but who long since got tired of being attacked by ego driven keyboard commandos who don't have a single btdt tee shirt or the sense to listen.

Some of the bear pit lamphoons are the ultimate "fuck you" to some puffed up full of self, self styled experts who won't listen.

It is what it is.

Gotta love it when somebody sprinkles a little common sense on it?
1525191374914.png

@Nik H and I were driving out to the range, when we came around this corner and found this sheep hearder with one stuck in the fence, we stop to find him going to town on the poor thing.... the guy stopped when he saw us and asked,

“any of you guys wanna try this out?”

Nik says “Hell yes!”

Sprints out of the truck and pulls his pants down while purposely getting his head stuck in the fence by the sheep....

He's just jealous that he didn't think of the crying room first.

I also know he is looking for another soulmate....sorry @Bender but I don't swing that way even though I heard you were a stud and enjoy your posts consistently. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender and RNWRKNP
I’m down with training under stress but I also be down with being able to hear for a good while longer. Id also like to NOT hear a constant ringing in my ear for the rest of my life. I have borderline tinnitus from loud music back when I used to be cooler than I am now and that shit sucks.

I already made peace with my tinnitus. There are two types of shooters...those with tinnitus and those that will have tinnitus

i hate my tinnitus

I don't much care for mine either but it is payback for playing in a metal band and shooting since the age of 6 years old with little to no hearing protection for the first few years of each.

Mine isn't that bad but it is a consistent, low level, squeal.

Kind of the sound that @Bender makes in the heat of the moment or so I have read

Reactions: Bender
I don't much care for mine either but it is payback for playing in a metal band and shooting since the age of 6 years old with little to no hearing protection for the first few years of each.

Kind of the sound that @Bender makes in the heat of the moment or so I have read

?????

Is Bender "pitching or catching"?

R

Reactions: Bender
With a name like "bender" short for bend over, let your imagination run wild, but don't let 1j post any pics..... just sayin.

Those pics he posts with his sister are really bad...
?????

He's just jealous that he didn't think of the crying room first.

I also know he is looking for another soulmate....sorry Bender but I don't swing that way :)

Lmao... yeah.. I figured you could take my joke.... I thought about making it about Greg, but that would have resulted in a 50,000 word reply and another poll asking if he should stay...... ??

Try flightline tinnitus: warm breezes on the coldest of nights, and the occasional involuntary "tan."

Reactions: 1J04
That tinnitus sounds more fun than my; sledgehammers, crushers, and heavy equipment tinnitus.
Ahhh yes.... I miss those days standing on the side of the cone crusher picking out metal before it falls in. And pulling off clay balls from the screen deck before they get to the crusher

Reactions: demolitionman
On another note, I'm so damn thankful I don't have to deal with the shit you guys at ranges have to deal with. To be completely honest, I couldn't and wouldn't deal with it for many reasons. First and foremost I just don't trust a lot of people around me with firearms. On my left, on my right, walking behind me, nope. I don't do that. Then comes the inevitable confrontation. Nothing good will come of that. Then the biggest part. I love my solitude. I need it and I know it. Peace of mind and unabated fun to do as I damn well please with no harm no foul. If I had to drive 2 or 3 hours to find solitude, I'd do it and probably make it a 2 day trip and just camp out.

Seriously, I feel for you guys that can't enjoy this kinda shooting.

1525197283528.png

1525197562848.png

1525197933450.png

1525198594268.png

1525198653531.png

1525199562869.png

1525198771772.png

I expect a couple obligatory 'fuck you's', but just a couple. And I'm gonna keep count. :ROFLMAO:

Break? Sure, go ahead.

Attachments

• 1525197354739.png
    1525197354739.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Try flightline tinnitus: warm breezes on the coldest of nights, and the occasional involuntary "tan."

Think Aircraft Carriers Jimmy. And I'm not even counting all the saw time, shingle mills, yada yada. And ya, the heavy equipment too. It all added up.

On another note, I'm so damn thankful I don't have to deal with the shit you guys at ranges have to deal with. To be completely honest, I couldn't and wouldn't deal with it for many reasons. First and foremost I just don't trust a lot of people around me with firearms. On my left, on my right, walking behind me, nope. I don't do that. Then comes the inevitable confrontation. Nothing good will come of that. Then the biggest part. I love my solitude. I need it and I know it. Peace of mind and unabated fun to do as I damn well please with no harm no foul. If I had to drive 2 or 3 hours to find solitude, I'd do it and probably make it a 2 day trip and just camp out.

View attachment 6899732

View attachment 6899736

View attachment 6899742

View attachment 6899747

View attachment 6899748

View attachment 6899749

I expect a couple obligatory 'fuck you's', but just a couple. And I'm gonna keep count. :ROFLMAO:

Break? Sure, go ahead.

I won't say FU...I'll just sit here and drool.

That must be so awesome.

View attachment 6899732

View attachment 6899736

View attachment 6899742

View attachment 6899747

View attachment 6899748

View attachment 6899749

Break? Sure, go ahead.
Don’t worry. Won’t be long before WA comes after your bolt gun.

View attachment 6899732

View attachment 6899736

View attachment 6899742

View attachment 6899747

View attachment 6899748

View attachment 6899751

View attachment 6899749

Break? Sure, go ahead.

Beautiful country amigo? Feel the same way. If not for Cowtown in AZ I would still be shooting BLM. Never even made it out of the parking lot at Ben Avery here in Phoenix?

Reactions: 1J04
Of course, some of y'all could think about forfeituring your muzzle brakes, and some of the stuff would go away...

That one will get lost.

Reactions: 1J04 and Bender
So since they locked the original thread in the equipment section. I will post my input here.
@Culpeper (who I think got banned) Newton did the laws of motion, Einstein did relativity. Just off by a couple hundred years.

Reactions: 1J04 and Bender