• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing My 1st WI Archery P&Y

khall540

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2011
Beaver Dam, WI
I was able to successfully fill my archery tag on Nov. 4th in Wisconsin. I had several early season trail camera pictures of this buck in velvet and was convinced it was probably one of the biggest if not the biggest buck on the property. I first laid my eyes on him at 100+ yds away while in the field on Oct 4th while sitting the same stand I shot him out of. This was my first year attempting to self film my hunts and although I did not get the actual shot on film, I was able to gather some memorable moments while on stand. I attempted to edit it all together into a video to sum up my season and tell a story. The shot was a 25 yard double lung, which impacted the far shoulder and did not exit. He went about 150 yards. It all happened pretty quick and I did not have time to turn on the camera for the shot or to even realize that this was the buck I was hoping for when I made the shot. He grossed 138 5/8" with 11 points and a 17 1/2" spread. Needless to say this is my largest archery kill to date and I am very pleased with my season. Here are a few pictures and a link to the video.

Blue Line Bowhunter 2013 Complete Season - YouTube

Congratulations that's a great buck especially with a bow. I'll watch the video later when I'm not in the woods

Congrats and thanks for the video! Great buck. He's wiiiide.
Please allow me to pile on. I got, what I'm hoping will be P&Y, the morning of Nov. 9th. I was hunting a tree stand in Central TX. This guy came in sniffing a doe that had eluded me about 20 min prior. He walked right under the stand, turned his ass on me, and finally presented a left-side, quartering away shot at about 7 yards. He's not a monster but good for the area...especially those G1's. Rough grossed 135". Hoping he'll net about 130".

Attachments

• P&Y.jpg
    P&Y.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 18
I got a shot off at a turkey this year out of the same treestand I took this buck. I have the shot on film also on youtube, but unfortunately I hit it low and never recovered it. Turkeys are damn near impossible to hunt out of a treestand for me. Its almost as if they look up into the trees to check for danger.

OP and Buhlockay those are both great bucks, especially with a bow.

Its almost as if they look up into the trees to check for danger.

I have at least 2, but I think now 3 different does, that do exactly this. They scan left and right, then they look right up...

OP and Buhlockay those are both great bucks, especially with a bow.

Thanks, bohem.

I have at least 2, but I think now 3 different does, that do exactly this. They scan left and right, then they look right up...
Regarding deer scanning the trees, are they on alert when they do this? I've had a few come in and do this but only after they caught my scent. Had them stare right at me for several minutes. It's a good thing whitetail are either half-blind or simply don't trust their eyes, because I've never had one spook after seeing me. They always stare for a bit and then just carry on.

OP, what type of mount did you go with?

One in particular turns and walks away in a different direction, the others like to stare at the tree and look at the lump sitting there 25 feet over their head. I've had 1 spook but I moved just a little bit and it was my own fault that time.

What kind of mount are you going with? I went with a european.

What kind of mount are you going with? I went with a european.

It will be a full shoulder mount. I cant think of the name.. maybe a "full sneak" where the head and neck come straight out. Not your normal everyday looking mount where they just have their head up slightly turned one way. I honestly cant even remember. I looked at the taxidermist wall of headmounts and said, "that one looks cool" something different.

That's the same mount I want because he came in sniffing for a doe. I move a lot, so I'm concerned with how far it sticks out, however. Never know if I'll have the room. Plus, the lady friend thinks it makes him look sad. I guess she can overlook the fact that it's only a bit of hide and dried bone sticking out of the wall...so long as it doesn't look "sad."

Got the mount back. Its not the full sneak like I thought but I still like the look.
yse8ezyg.jpg

5uzy2a5e.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk