• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My 6.5 Saum load development.

Kevin9934

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2014
So today was the second time to the range with my new rifle.
Rifle specs(picture will follow):

Defiance deviant action
Brought 5C 28 inch barrel contour 7.1
Badget FTE brake
CG trigger
AICS 1.5 chassis
Razor HD 5-20x50
PTG reamer .081 freebore and .298 NK

First load test was a ladder test but it failed because i only had 200 yard to test it out.

So now i tried a OCW test and results a more interesting.

You can see the Sighter square followed by 5 square.

This is 4 round i had load with 61 gr to test it out for the fun. It correlate with the other in the test.

Velocity with Berger 140gr Hybrid/Fed 210M primers and H1000. Cooper creek brass trimmed at 2.015. Cartridge is 2.891 COAL (+- .020 jump)

59.98 gr: average of 3060 fps
61/61.2 gr : 3100 fps
61.8 gr: 3143 fps
62.4 gr: 3175 fps
63 gr: 3198 fps

I know those velocity dont mean alot for now but it correlate almost perfectly with Quickload and are in the range of speed i was looking for.

From what i see and if i have understood the OCW method correctly i will try refining my load in the 61 gr area. I would like to go in the 62 area but the chamber pressure will be higher than 58K psi and i want to get better barrel life.

For the pressure sign i have test it out to 63.5 gr of H1000 and no flat primmer , no ejector marks , mo sticky bolt lift. I could test higher charge but i dont need to.

It is a good start and a relief for me since it work like a dream.

Let me know if i miss something in my interpretation

Just out of curiosity were you able to discern anything with the 200Y ladder? Maybe you can determine a node using both methods.

I once did a 100Y OCW and a 400Y ladder for a experiment to see how well they coincided. They both confirmed the high node but was obvious using the ladder and not so much the OCW. There was a discrepancy on the low node.

I did the ladder in .1 grain increments and the OCW in .2 grain increments. Why the big jump in charge weights - 59.9 to 61.2 then in odd grain increments?

At any rate I'd start narrowing the load down from 61 to 61.8.

Yes i need to get out to 400 yard to do a True ladder test.

the one at 200 yards was not bad but really condensed. It looked like i had a high node at 61/61.5 and a Lower one in the 59/59.5

So yes as you suggest i was to make another run from 61 in .2 grain increments and maybe try in the 59/60

YEAH lol the big jump is just me failling in Maths....

Thanks BL i will update it with more pictures and result next week.

On the to do list:
-Refine the load and do a new ladder test.
-Find a load for the 150 and 160 Matrix VLD.

Questions for the pros: Should i try changing for Fed 215M?

Thanks BL i will update it with more pictures and result next week.

On the to do list:
-Refine the load and do a new ladder test.
-Find a load for the 150 and 160 Matrix VLD.

Questions for the pros: Should i try changing for Fed 215M?
I am using Federal 215. I did an initial load development and settled back to the standard 63 grains of H1000 with the bullet seated .040" off the lands. Using the 130 VLD. I didn't shrink my groups down at all, this load was by far the best. Check out my 1 mile group. Highest shot was after 1 adjustment. first round hits at a mile. uploadfromtaptalk1406499184862.jpg

Nice group at 1 mile. I hope i will do similar with my loads.

I am .020 off the lands.

I might try the 215 but i think i have a good start for the load , so i ask myself if it' a good time and money investment to test the magnum primers.

Form the test i posted i really think i have a stable node in the 61 gr area. Because if you look to the 61.2(target #2) 61.8(target #3) and the 61 gr(target #9) all groups are in the same quadrant and disposition. The fun part is that following the OCW methodologies , that call to do a + and - 1% test with the desired load.

So
My 61.8 gr group is a 1.3% increment(of 61gr) and still stable. I would have to make a test at 60.4 to see if i am still in the node and then stretch my leg to 1000 yards

I might have found my resilient load. i will play with the seating to see if i get better results.

Lets hope i can find good load for 150/160 vld.

Last edited:
Yes i need to get out to 400 yard to do a True ladder test.

the one at 200 yards was not bad but really condensed. It looked like i had a high node at 61/61.5 and a Lower one in the 59/59.5

So yes as you suggest i was to make another run from 61 in .2 grain increments and maybe try in the 59/60

YEAH lol the big jump is just me failling in Maths....

With all the info you have so far I bet at this point you could ditch the 400Y ladder and go strait to group shooting at distance from 61 to 61.8 while using the chrono and watching ES. I usually do that at 200Y to 300Y depending on how low the wind is.

Got my 6.5 Saum shooting 1" groups at 290Y with 140 hybrids. I got lazy and never attempted tuning seating depth because I'm not sure I can shoot any better than that off a bipod anyway.

Here is my latest test , to see if to switch to Fed 215M would change something

It look like the node is unchanged and the velocity got up a little bit. Impact point is a little bit higher than with Fed 210.

I just need to confirm those number with the chrono now.

Little question for you guys: Should i switch to Magnum primers? Is their a benefit to magnums in this kind of Case design? It look like i am on the edge between std and mag primers.

Last edited:
Try both primers at distance behind the chrono.

I know most wouldn't agree with this but... Just because a load groups tight at 100Y doesn't necessarily mean it will do as well at distance. My 6x47L is like this with one barrel and I've had the same thing happen with other rifles. You have a long range rifle, use the vertical dispersion at distance to determine what load shoots tight.

Yes your right next step is 500-600 meters(my longest available) to test the loads.

I will Update this as soon i have results

20140824_110916.jpg

Here is the 536 meters gong results.

Note:

-big splatter are from my buddy with hes 300 win mag 210grn
-my shoot are on the upper left corner.
- no chronograph data gather or should i say that at least we took velocity of 2 rounds.
- i used 17 click of elevation and did not adjust windage. I hit the plate and that's was it.
I should use less elevation and put 2 click of windage.
-this was with the 130 jlk at 63gr .015 off the land no prior test was done.
-overhall we did not take our time we were somewhat short on schedule(and we looked 30 min for the car key that we lost in the brush...) and had to abort the shooting session since atv killed our fun at 11h00

Thought of the day: damn that the 6.5 saum hit hard. With hes 300wm and my 6.5 we have broken the screw link:eek:

Last edited: