• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My anniversary present to myself.

Miller Tyme

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2020
Well with my 30th Anniversary at work last week I decided to treat myself to something a little special for my collection. I wanted something both uncommon & documented, but something that I could also enjoy on the range that would also be a centerpiece of my collection.
And I found it, just picked it up at my LGS a Remington M24sws w/deployment kit and transit case.
This is one of the Army trade-ins for the XM2010 program that Remington rebuilt with new barreled actions and trigger groups. It came with all the Remington documentation as to who the original purchaser was as well as the M24(R) rebuild program specifics.
It appears this particular rifle was last issued to C-Troop, 6/8th Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division and still has dust and dirt on its bipod from its last deployment.
20220419_174921 (2).jpg
20220419_173011 (2).jpg
20220419_175041 (2).jpg
20220419_175049 (2).jpg
20220419_175052 (2).jpg
20220419_175150 (2).jpg
20220419_175354 (2).jpg
20220419_175407 (2).jpg
20220419_175451 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance but is that pattern on the scope and stock a consequence of time or it is intentional?

Personally, I like it. That's good camo.

Reactions: Miller Tyme
Interesting. I wonder why they wouldn’t leave it as-is, field fresh? I thought that was the whole point of buying an authentic rifle, to be ‘as it was’ at war.

edit: after looking on google for just a few minutes, I noticed that most of the ones listed for sale don’t have camo on the barreled actions either. Must be a normal process to swap them out. Bummer. I’d like one that was straight from the field, with all the scratches, marks, matching camo, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: forthehunt
Interesting. I wonder why they wouldn’t leave it as-is, field fresh? I thought that was the whole point of buying an authentic rifle, to be ‘as it was’ at war.
The receivers on the M24's were reused in the XM2010 builds but the Army gave them permission to reuse any of the other components so I can understand the new barreled actions. As to the trigger groups I am going to guess it is a liability issue.

Reactions: SmolPP and trob
Well played (y) Love the Harris Bipod because everyone knows all the other mouse traps are better. :rolleyes:

Congratulations!

Beautiful piece of history, brings lots of memories, enjoy it, I spent time behind many rifles and believe that this one is the best sniper rifle ever built, it was light enough to carry all day in my pack and planty accurate for any job it was meant to.
I see the sniper rifles today and most of them are too heavy and cumbersome

Seriously @Miller Tyme .
That is an incredible rifle/piece of history you have treated yourself to.
I hope you enjoy after a day at the range( shooting little bug holes) with a fine bottle of great old Scotch!

Well since my initial posting I have been conversing with Lt. Col. Robert Reynolds, Commander, 6th Sqdn/8th Cav. Regt. and he has conveyed to me the following info;

Walter Just wanted to give you a little background before unplug for a Bible study I am leading.

1. C Troop, 6-8 Cav was a light reconnaissance Troop assigned to 2nd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division (not 1st Cav).

2. 2009 was the first time 6-8 was authorized snipers since we reorganized from a mechanized squadron to a “light” Squadron.

3. They were in Iraq 2010-2011 and Afghanistan on their next deployment.

4. If you know when it went back into rebuild we might be able to figure out where it was.

5. Either way I will dig through my stuff and see if I can find any pictures of C Troop in Iraq…might have a picture of some of our sniper teams or maybe get you in touch with some of the guys who were there. God bless

Pastor Bob Reynolds

COL(Retired), US Army

I informed him that the rifle in questions barreled action has a date code of 2012, and was shipped out to the original purchaser 1/2013. There for the rifle was probably returned to Remington in late 2011 or early 2012 for rebuild.

His replay was;

Well if it was one of our post deployment refit turn ins. That would have been with Chaos Troop along the Iraq/Syria border In the vicinity of a town called Sinjar. If I can find anything from my old files or photos you are welcome to it. No promises since I got rid of a lot of stuff after I retired, but I can still check.

God bless Bob

So I have updated the OP to reflect corrected information and am eagerly awaiting any future updates.

Well since my initial posting I have been conversing with Lt. Col. Robert Reynolds, Commander, 6th Sqdn/8th Cav. Regt. and he has conveyed to me the following info;

Walter Just wanted to give you a little background before unplug for a Bible study I am leading.

1. C Troop, 6-8 Cav was a light reconnaissance Troop assigned to 2nd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division (not 1st Cav).

2. 2009 was the first time 6-8 was authorized snipers since we reorganized from a mechanized squadron to a “light” Squadron.

3. They were in Iraq 2010-2011 and Afghanistan on their next deployment.

4. If you know when it went back into rebuild we might be able to figure out where it was.

5. Either way I will dig through my stuff and see if I can find any pictures of C Troop in Iraq…might have a picture of some of our sniper teams or maybe get you in touch with some of the guys who were there. God bless

Pastor Bob Reynolds

COL(Retired), US Army

I informed him that the rifle in questions barreled action has a date code of 2012, and was shipped out to the original purchaser 1/2013. There for the rifle was probably returned to Remington in late 2011 or early 2012 for rebuild.

His replay was;

Well if it was one of our post deployment refit turn ins. That would have been with Chaos Troop along the Iraq/Syria border In the vicinity of a town called Sinjar. If I can find anything from my old files or photos you are welcome to it. No promises since I got rid of a lot of stuff after I retired, but I can still check.

God bless Bob

So I have updated the OP to reflect corrected information and am eagerly awaiting any future updates.
What a fantastic piece of history.
You chose well! I'm super jealous of you, but, at the same time, I'm glad that that rifle went to someone who would look up all of the info and cherish that piece of history.

What a fantastic piece of history.
You chose well! I'm super jealous of you, but, at the same time, I'm glad that that rifle went to someone who would look up all of the info and cherish that piece of history.
Thanks sir, this didn't start out that way but while I was waiting its arrival, I read someone else's post on there M24 and the discussion about some of the tags affixed to there transit case. I didn't know there where any on mine but I hoped there where.

Thanks sir, this didn't start out that way but while I was waiting its arrival, I read someone else's post on there M24 and the discussion about some of the tags affixed to there transit case. I didn't know there where any on mine but I hoped there where.
It really is super cool that you have been able to get so much info on this kit. Honestly, I'd hope that if I saw something like this in a local shop that I'd have the nuts to just buy it and pray that I could get the kind of info that you've gotten so far.
Next up, we need pix of it on deployment as well as some target pictures!

It really is super cool that you have been able to get so much info on this kit. Honestly, I'd hope that if I saw something like this in a local shop that I'd have the nuts to just buy it and pray that I could get the kind of info that you've gotten so far.
Next up, we need pix of it on deployment as well as some target pictures!
Target pics might be as early as tomorrow. I am supposed to go to the range and shoot for the 1st time in 8 months (range was closed, zoning battle) but I 1st have to get the wife sighted in on my M41B for a Vintage sniper shoot we have in a few weeks.

Reactions: Raufoss
Target pics might be as early as tomorrow. I am supposed to go to the range and shoot for the 1st time in 8 months (range was closed, zoning battle) but I 1st have to get the wife sighted in on my M41B for a Vintage sniper shoot we have in a few weeks.
I'll be looking forward to seeing them! Have fun, and God bless.

If you're right handed I'm thinking you pushed it.
At least when I do that it's due to me pushing into the butt pad....and it doesn't take much.
Still, very good for the first outing with a unknown to you rifle.