• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My Chargemaster sucks

boltstop

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2010
Colorado, USA
I may have bought my last tool from RCBS.

I was an "early adopter" to the RCBS Chargemaster when it came out about 6 years ago. I used it, and it was quick and efficient.

A couple of years went by and I started reloading single stage again after putting the Chargemaster aside. When I fired it up the display and keyboard were all wonky. I contacted RCBS and they told me, "So sorry, out of warranty - we had a bad rash of that problem a few years back. Send us your unit and we'll replace the electronics for $75."

I got it back and I think they simply swapped out the unit. It was markedly slower than previously, and seemed far more prone to exposure to RF - the scale would change readings when I would turn around to look at it.

I went to load up some 6mm Rem. for a crazy Mauser I own, and discovered that the "auto" feature that restarts the dispensing when the meter reads zero was no longer working. So great, more crummy Chinese electronics crapping out on you after 2 years!

Anybody else have this problem with their Chargemasters?

Re: My Chargemaster sucks

That seems semi reasonable to me.. Warranty is warranty. At least they arent pulling that oh send it in well send you a full replacement for full price crap some of these companies pull.

You already paid for RCBS to fix it, contact them again and demand to get what you paid for, I bet they make it right

I have sent mine back 3 or 4 times. They have always made it right. I just don't trust electronic scales as much as I do the old balance beam scales. I now set mine a couple of 10ths under and then trickle up.

My chargemaster is ok. Going on about 6yrs knock on wood... I trickle my long range loads too from my Harrels powder throw which is pretty Dang accurate in itself and American Made!!! It just screams quality. If I wasn't so anal I'd just throw em and forget about it but I just have to know each round is the best I can get.

In my opinion, the Chargemaster is probably the best electronic dispenser/scale offerd by the big companies.

I have a Lyman 1300 that sits on my bench, looking really neat, and the thing went haywire.

I called Lyman, out of warranty, of course, and according to them, flourescent lights, cells phones (esp. smartphones) and running it without a power conditioner plays havoc on their dispenser.

I never did get it to work right again, and it sits next to my Chargemaster, as a reminder of good ideas gone bad.

I turn it on every once in a while, hoping the gremlins moved out, and it still drifts and will go all the way to 300 grains with nothing on the scale.
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skg_Mre_Lght</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion, the Chargemaster is probably the best electronic dispenser/scale offerd by the big companies.

I have a Lyman 1300 that sits on my bench, looking really neat, and the thing went haywire.

I called Lyman, out of warranty, of course, and according to them, flourescent lights, cells phones (esp. smartphones) and running it without a power conditioner plays havoc on their dispenser.

I never did get it to work right again, and it sits next to my Chargemaster, as a reminder of good ideas gone bad.

I turn it on every once in a while, hoping the gremlins moved out, and it still drifts and will go all the way to 300 grains with nothing on the scale.
mad.gif
</div></div>

WOOF. That sucks.

I'll call RCBS and see what they say - but I went on YouTube and was shocked to find that there's a way to reprogram the unit for better speed. Granted this won't fix my stupid "won't auto dispense" problem but I may be able to use the dadgum thing better if they fix it.

Did you try to turn the auto dispense back on? I know, stupid question, but I do spend 2 days a week at the IT help desk, so stupid questions are always the first that I ask.

Branden

"discovered that the "auto" feature that restarts the dispensing when the meter reads zero was no longer working. So great, more crummy Chinese electronics crapping out on you after 2 years!"

Yep. Electronics are that way, no matter who made 'em. If you get a good one, you got a good one. Get a "normal" one and...not so good. Costly and unreliable reloading digital gimmicks are not for me.

Not only are they unreliable and quirky, they cost something like 4-5 times more than they would if they had the same markup as other Chinese electronic devices. All the companies selling 'em have to be grinning from ear to ear going to the bank after selling a batch of 'em!

I ran 2 or these at the same time. I had problems with one the screens. I sent it back and they sent me a new one. I would still pay the 75. The machine works great. RCBS has great customer service. If you have a problem with the machine again. I would call them and let them know.
If you need it to work faster. Here is a video of the basics how to reprogram the RCBS. I think you will find this is one of the best electronic dispensers out on the market. Good luck

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ALVCfvTBBmA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ALVCfvTBBmA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

so says the previous thread, but that video doesn't give enough intel by a mile--I would be interested in some complete intel on how to do it--and UNDO it.

Here is some basic instructions to go with the video.
link to thread: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1497899

Step 1
You have to press enter and edit at the same time. This will get you into the programing features. By pressing enter it will take you to the next part of the program.
Step 2
You will see the first set of numbers HSB_A1 (15.68) To change this. You must enter 0 then the new numbers. For example to change this press 0 then to change it to 10 simply press 1000. This will now show up as HSB_A1 (10.00)
Step 3 Press enter and go to the next area to change. This will show up as HSB_B1 (3.42). Press 0,the enter you new number 2.00. Now this will show up as HSB_B1 2.00.
After these steps are completed. You must press Enter button until the chargemaster has went through the programming. If the machine is running to fast for you. You simply go back into the programming mode and readjust the first 2 set of numbers until desired speed is achieved. Hope this explains it better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"discovered that the "auto" feature that restarts the dispensing when the meter reads zero was no longer working. So great, more crummy Chinese electronics crapping out on you after 2 years!"

Yep. Electronics are that way, no matter who made 'em. If you get a good one, you got a good one. Get a "normal" one and...not so good. Costly and unreliable reloading digital gimmicks are not for me.

Not only are they unreliable and quirky, they cost something like 4-5 times more than they would if they had the same markup as other Chinese electronic devices. All the companies selling 'em have to be grinning from ear to ear going to the bank after selling a batch of 'em!

</div></div>

You ain't kiddin' there, Fuzzball. When they told me that they'd repair the board for $75 and not to include anything but the dispensing unit itself, I thought "Hey, they're going to swap out my board and send the unit back to me."

I was wrong, naturally.

They sent me a completely new unit in the box with all the accessories: weights, pan, plexiglass draft cover, et al.

They simply get new units from China for $75, so they're giving me a unit at cost (or perhaps they cost $35, and they're hitting me for $40 or something). Yayy RCBS!

What can you say, (in business college, they told me to say, "oligarchy") other than "hey, it's a limited market, so you'll pay what we tell you to."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you try to turn the auto dispense back on? I know, stupid question, but I do spend 2 days a week at the IT help desk, so stupid questions are always the first that I ask.

Branden</div></div>

Fair enough question - I'M never dumb; it's always the "other guy," right? That's the attitude most Americans have (luLZ) but we know the reality.

No, I checked - first thing I did - and I try and re-try to start that functionality each time I turn it on, but no joy.

I did reprogram the lil' bastard and got it to spit out a 45.0 gr. load VERY accurately in 13 seconds! (LOL!!) That may actually be more effective in reducing my load times than having the "auto dispense" functionality, although I'm worried the faults may spread to other areas later.

I'll call RCBS Monday and see what they say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran 2 or these at the same time. I had problems with one the screens. I sent it back and they sent me a new one. I would still pay the 75. The machine works great. RCBS has great customer service. If you have a problem with the machine again. I would call them and let them know.
If you need it to work faster. Here is a video of the basics how to reprogram the RCBS. I think you will find this is one of the best electronic dispensers out on the market. Good luck

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ALVCfvTBBmA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ALVCfvTBBmA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

I downloaded some info from a South African shooter's website where a thread shows how to reprogram the machine and I have it working almost exactly like yours at this point. It's so much faster I could just CRAP!

For 75 dollars they sent you a new machine past the warranty. That is pretty good service. I would have some faith in thinking that their service dept. will help you.
Try and find another company that will do the same thing. Most companies will charge you more than that to repair the unit. At least they sent you a brand new one and I bet they warranty it full.

I had good results dealing with them in the past. I think you will end up a in good shape.

It makes a difference on how the machine runs after the reprogram. Get the Auto thing figured out and you are go to go.. Good luck

Good info Dar, thanks. I reprogrammed the first three settings on my Chargemaster to 10.00, 2.00 & .80 I will test it out in the next day or so to see how much fast it performs.

Never had a lick of problems In over 3 years but i don't load as much
as I should. Reprogramming for a faster throw is the first thing I would
do on a new machine though. Sorry to here you have had bad luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you turn on the auto throw mode?
</div></div>

You need to purchase one of these in order to be able to auto dispense.

Set up the drinking bird so that its beak hits the dispense button

179_xl.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is some basic instructions to go with the video.
link to thread: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1497899

Step 1
You have to press enter and edit at the same time. This will get you into the programing features. By pressing enter it will take you to the next part of the program.
Step 2
You will see the first set of numbers HSB_A1 (15.68) To change this. You must enter 0 then the new numbers. For example to change this press 0 then to change it to 10 simply press 1000. This will now show up as HSB_A1 (10.00)
Step 3 Press enter and go to the next area to change. This will show up as HSB_B1 (3.42). Press 0,the enter you new number 2.00. Now this will show up as HSB_B1 2.00.
After these steps are completed. You must press Enter button until the chargemaster has went through the programming. If the machine is running to fast for you. You simply go back into the programming mode and readjust the first 2 set of numbers until desired speed is achieved. Hope this explains it better. </div></div>

Dar, very helpul, thanks, may try it with that intel, much appreciated. do you know what those settings are altering/adjusting within the program?--just curious.

Thanks again

Here the Key settings that would be changing.

HSB_A1 (15.68) Grains under target weight to go from full to high speed
HSB_B1 (3.42) Grains under target weight to go from high to slow speed
BSP_C1 (1.08) Grains under target weight to go from slow to final trickle speed

I tried to turn on the auto feature and it would not work on mine either. (hold enter until auto shows on the screen)

Also changed the parameters and the throw time is probably half what it was
smile.gif
!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Juice5610</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you need to know about reprogramming you chargemaster can be found here

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/11/tech-tip-how-to-speed-up-your-rcbs-chargemaster-1500/

Also adding a piece of straw or a tube just slightly bigger then the dispensing tube and about and inch long will help greatly with overcharging problems </div></div>

I have seen this before,

But do you put the straw inside of the metal tube, or around the outside of the metal tube, or does it matter?

Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback / info.
M Richardson

"They simply get new units from China for $75, so they're giving me a unit at cost (or perhaps they cost $35, and they're hitting me for $40 or something). Yayy RCBS!"

'Spect the $35 is closer to accurate. But I won't pay "what (they) tell me to", be a cold day in hades before I'll pay what they are charging for something I would't expect to last much longer, on average, than the two-year warrantee.

I simply don't find manual powder dispensing/weighing to be all that slow and it's sure not complicated!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Inside the metal tube. Use a McDonalds straw. It is the right size. </div></div>

Correct Micky D's straw is what you need

Man, i am having no luck, I could not force the damn Mc Donalds straw into mine! I guess I am on mission to find the magic straw size!! (taco bell doesnt work, too small.)

(wife laughed when I told a buddy I was trying to shove a straw up my powder hole!!)

Only I could end up with a queer bastard chargemaster that cannot turn on the auto throw and wont let shove a straw up its powder hole
grin.gif
!!!

Mine has worked flawlessly for a little over three years now. Prior to purchase I read up on all of them as much as I could find from various sites.

Conclusion:

Make sure your room is an even temp, I turn the electric heat on in mine and get it up to mid to high 60's which also helps dry out any humidity (I'm in NW Wash).

I have two double 4' fluorescent fixtures I've changed out the ballasts to high power factor ones pushing my lamps @ 110% instead of 87% and use full spectrum 6500 kelvin lamps. Few people know this but pushing your lamp higher give much brighter light and extends the life of the lamps far longer. I'm an electrical contractor so I know these things. I have no interference whatsoever from my lighting whereas I would if using the older magnetic ballasts. Get rid of them if you have em.

I leave my scale on most of the time and if not, I turn it on a couple hours prior to using it along with the heat and my lights so everything is as stable as I can get it. Also, when put to rest, everything on my bench is covered with a cloth to keep everything clean.

Prior to using it I always calibrate it. Always. After 20 to 30 rounds, I recheck it with a 50. The only thing I've dealt with is a tenth or two extra kernal landing after the re-wait cycle, I simply put it back and re-throw. I don't find that to be a pain, and compared to using my scales which were, I'll never stop using it. Ditto on using my trickler with it as well, it's one accurate scale.

My 2. Hope that helps.

Sandbogg, Slit a 1/2" piece of straw lengthwise down one side, lap it over and slip it in.

Copy that, slit it and slip it in!

Thanks!! ( I was getting tired of collecting straws.)

Re: My Chargemaster sucks DOESN'T suck!

As it turns out, I suck, not the Chargemaster.
frown.gif

I had changed the pan out to a light plastic pan with a funnel attached. I had used this combination previously without any challenges. I hadn't thought the lightness of the pan would be any problem but apparently it was; in an experiment I used double-sided stick tape to put a substantial washer on the bottom of the outside of the pan and immediately was rewarded with a system which would auto-dispense without trouble.