• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

My Colt Sporter Match HBAR - Pre Ban?

sotexhill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
South Texas
Newbie question.

I bought my Colt Sporter Match HBAR Cal .223 Ser MH 037xxx in May, 1992. It does not have a bayonet lug. It does have an A2 flash hider, which I may have put on myself. I don't remember. It came with one or two five round magazines.

Would it be a pre-ban or mid-ban or post-ban? Does it matter anymore, unless I want to put a bayonet on it? Just for the record, I don't really plan or want to.

Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

Re: My Colt Sporter Match HBAR - Pre Ban?

Might wanna ask over on ar15.com. They'd probably be able to give you an answer to the smallest minutia.

Since you're in Texas it would really only matter if you're planning on selling it.

You can do whatever you want to it as long as you comply with the NFA.

What difference does it make? There is no more ban.

However, with that being said, the ban went into effect in 1994 so if you bought it in 1992 then it would have been considered a "pre-ban" weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SouthTexasHill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought my Colt Sporter Match HBAR Cal .223 Ser MH 037xxx in May, 1992.</div></div>

Colt R6601 Sporter Match HBARs with serial numbers below MH086020 are preban models. While the '94 <span style="text-decoration: underline">federal</span> AWB is no longer in effect, there are still a few states that have their own version of the '94 AWB in effect where your rifle could be legally sold.

Also, if your rifle is factory stock, the NFA rules have nothing to do with it. It's not a Title 2 firearm.

I only mentioned NFA to say that he can't do ANYTHING he wants with it at least without complying with NFA.

Thanks for the info, y'all. Needless to say, the NFA would have to be observed on cans, fun triggers, and tube lengths with any bangstick.
smile.gif