• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My dissapointment with GAP

Re: My dissapointment with GAP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should be disappointed. That's crappy service and they shouldn't send it back just because you keep bugging them to get it done. Yea, you're gonna get flamed and so I am because most SH members swing from GAP's nut sack. </div></div>

Damn. Lol.

George and the boys are all shooters and do a lot to support the shooting community.

George and everyone at GAP are human as well.

Glad to see that the problem will be worked out, and it is nice to have company principals that chime in when they see issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruze5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">your not the only one disapointed in GAP currently </div></div>

Gay post...to half-bash you should elaborate or keep it in the vault. To me that is unfounded slander....as posted.

I work on customer's equipment and trucks all day at work and if anything I will tell them longer than I belive it will take....just to have a built in cushion...nothing ever goes right and that way they aren't planning on having it back and being dissapointed.

This is a bash directly at GAP if the OP is correct.

If whoever answered the phone said it would be on Georges desk and promptly processed then the communication at GAP is flawed. My manager did the same shit all the time....promised a customer that whenever he got to the shop a mechanic would be waiting.....and a mechanic would work all weekend if need be......then the asshole would come out and ask if anybody wanted to stay late or work the weekend.

It makes 100% sense to tell the customer that you will call them back with an actual timeframe....then that issue needs to be priority....untill the customer is informed of the forward progress.

Not trying to give George a buisness lesson but that is the way that I belive a customer should be treated......maybe it was all the person answering the phones.....so I always write the name down of the person promising the world on the phone!!!

</div></div>

Its not slander. Slander is spoken, nice try though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me see, the last match I shot, George, Moon, Flounder, and Matt were shooting next to me... Shooting quite well too. </div></div>

I don't understand how is it possible to go into the prone position with so many snipers hide members swinging from your nuts.

I feel like there may be an unfair advantage here I know everytime I setup onto my tripod formation everyone has always frowned upon it.

Goahead and read that twice and ponder what I'm saying here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George and the boys are all shooters and do a lot to support the shooting community.

George and everyone at GAP are human as well.

Glad to see that the problem will be worked out, and it is nice to have company principals that chime in when they see issues.</div></div>

Couldn't of said it better myself. Alot of bullshit being thrown around in this post by people who don't know what the fuck they are talking about but because this is the internet they can pile on and talk shit. How about you all you newbies hang around a little longer and learn about the people you are talking shit about before passing judgement on a mistake.

George and his crew are great guys and it shows by him coming here and posting and he is going to take care of the OP.

Glad we have so many perfect people on this board who have never made a mistake.
smirk.gif

I ordered a rifle from GAP in April of this year. When I ordered the rifle, I was told it would take 6-7 months for the build. A close friend of mine ordered the exact same rifle 2 days before I did. I was in monthly contact with GAP on this rifle. I called once a month and paid some money towards my outstanding balance. Everytime I talked to my contact, he confirmed that the build was on schedule. My friend called to let me know that his rifle had been shipped. I called GAP and was told to send my accessories (rings, bipod and scope caps) so they would be there by the time the rifle was complete so the entire package could be sent for the paint job. We discussed the scope that I wanted so they could order it. After 1 week, I called to appologize for not sending the accessories and I was told by my contact that it was all a huge mistake and there were 12 rifles ahead of mine, It would take another 6-8 months for the rifle to be completed. I understand delays but I cant help feel that I was pushed down the list for a larger order or something. Since this, I have been laid off due to the current economic conditions. I have contacted GAP and they have allowed me to cancel my order. They have refunded my deposit less a cancellation fee which I am fine with. But there are very slow in refunding the additional $2000 that I paid toward the rifle. This will not keep me from doing business with them in the future but I will take the completion date they give me with a grain of salt.

First off I'm not trying to piss in anyones cheerios, everyone on here is free to share their opinion. I can understand how this situation can be upsetting. I also run a business, along with a full time job, have a wife and 7 kids. I don't always get stuff done when I say I well either. It is really tough sometimes to run a business and maintain any kind of a life outside of it.

As for GAP I have two builds from them, George and I got cross threaded on the delivery time of my first build. So what do you say when you open up the case expecting to see a GAP 7000 and its a Surgeon action on your build? Well I am forever thankful, George went out of his way to get me tooled up in my time of need. I needed that rifle for work, use it daily and it has never failed. To be honest I still feel like an ass for coming unhinged on the phone to George's staff. The build time was supposed to be 6 weeks, it was in my hands in 8. I've had another built since with no problems. My experience with GAP has been outstanding and well have them do more work in the future. When asked who builds the best rifle, GAP is my answer. I guess if I'm "swinging off GAP's nutsack" then so be it.

I've really been trying to keep my thoughts to myself. The OP doesn't deserve to have his thread turn into a bitchfest. Then again, it did start off a little rocky.

AND THAT HAS BEEN ADDRESSED BY THE "OTHER PARTY".

Okay, fine, responsible folks would have left it at that.

But then there comes the young?/new?/inexperienced? snapperheads making comments with the intent to just stir shit, and make things smell worse.

Any ass who can make an accusation that we members are hanging from anyones nutsack, well, I wouldn't piss on his face if his lips were on fire.

Myself, when I'm able to, I buy QUALITY. (there's a new word for you, look it up) Now that doesn't say Best Quality, cause I myself wouldn't know it for sure. Simply because there are so many, yet so few, who make a QUALITY product. And that too depends on ones financial abilities. Otherwise, everyone would be driving Bentley's, right? I don't see that happening soon.

RESPECT (there's another new word for you, look it up too) That is built upon by ones workmanship, word, and warranty. This man, George, is one of a number of members here, whom all have the respect of almost all membership.

So now whether we as individuals decide to drive a F@*d, a Ch@#$y, or a Hy@##%i, that is nothing to you, nor has anything to do with you. And the same goes for anything else that we might have/do/use.

As a business owner I will share this. A business grows from their initial success. A business will continue to grow if they can keep up with the growing success they started with. And a business will die when they believe they are successful enough they do not have to revert back to what made them successful.

From what I have see with all of replies here, GAP has a communication with customer issue and GAP has a following that wants to jump in and defend GAP's issues. Neither the less if the customer is not happy with a issue their is not enough excuses to bandage the damage.

Maybe it is time to say we have too much work and we need to evaluate the current process. Just my 2 bits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no gunsmithing saga ive ever heard included same day service. </div></div>

Yes I have, Mark Pharr from Tumbleweed quoted me same day, got it done same day. </div></div>

Happens all the time... <grin>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anybody has decided after reading this post to throw away their GAP they can just send it to me instead.

I'd live with the stigma of swinging off of some nuts. </div></div>

no sh****t. I like to think my honor, soul and manhood aren't for sale, but call me tarzan the swinging monkey boy........for I must admit I would do about anything if there was a line forming to get "disgarded" builds by those horribly arrogant GAP guys
crazy.gif

I own a small company here in Texas. I pick and choose my clients and some times I even fire them. Yes, you read that correctly, I fire my clients. If they are more hassle then they are worth and if they are problematic by nature I tell them to hit the road. They waste my time and money, and some folks simply will not be pleased with any level of service. So I tell them to piss off and find another vendor of services.

That being said there is one other thing that I do. If I tell a customer I am going to do something and I give them a date that I will do that thing by then I fucking sure as hell do it! No bullshit, no stalling, no excuses, and if something happens while I’m trying to complete the project and it will not be done on time I have the common fucking courtesy to call the client and explain what is going on.

I have found that if I apply these principals and live by them I am never want for customers and my customers provide me with plenty of repeat and referral business. Most people just want the truth right off the bat. Don't promise what you can't deliver! It's really fucking simple.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a small company here in Texas. I pick and choose my clients and some times I even fire them. Yes, you read that correctly, I fire my clients. If they are more hassle then they are worth and if they are problematic by nature I tell them to hit the road. They waste my time and money, and some folks simply will not be pleased with any level of service. So I tell them to piss off and find another vendor of services.

That being said there is one other thing that I do. If I tell a customer I am going to do something and I give them a date that I will do that thing by then I fucking sure as hell do it! No bullshit, no stalling, no excuses, and if something happens while I’m trying to complete the project and it will not be done on time I have the common fucking courtesy to call the client and explain what is going on.

I have found that if I apply these principals and live by them I am never want for customers and my customers provide me with plenty of repeat and referral business. Most people just want the truth right off the bat. Don't promise what you can't deliver! It's really fucking simple.
</div></div>

Dude, you used the F word... Victor's gonna get you......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure who told you a day turnarround, for that I can understand your frustration. The only job that is same day is a bolt knob. I'm guessing Kerry misinformed you. Badger extractors require machining the boltface, brazing in a fitted coller then machining in the extractor cut. We do it on our CNC and I am the only one that does these and I have been out of town , currently in NM till next Thursday. It will be done upon my return. Our normal turnarround for a job like this is 2 months. And it's definatly more than a 2 hr job if done correct. Again Im sorry Someone told you a day that is incorrect.
</div></div>

GA George has now give his word that it will be DONE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who the fcuk is Victor! </div></div>lol

Ok, so to GAP it is a 2 months project. How long would it take if one person dedicated to doing it their entire shift?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a small company here in Texas. I pick and choose my clients and some times I even fire them. Yes, you read that correctly, I fire my clients. If they are more hassle then they are worth and if they are problematic by nature I tell them to hit the road. They waste my time and money, and some folks simply will not be pleased with any level of service. So I tell them to piss off and find another vendor of services.

</div></div>

I really regret not gettin to hang out with you in Germany last year man, you're a cool dude.

Dude... there is a lot of hate and discontent in this room! Snipers and Precision Shooters need patients... I honestly dont even know why I purchased a GAP. I kinda wanted a TacOps rifle, but I couldnt never get in touch with those guys so I called GAP. In a business when you have a multiple people working, sometimes things fall through the crack. Joe says not a problem, puts it on Tim's desk and Tim doesnt know whats going on... GAP has a rep of building a precision instrument, if you think you can get the same quality done elsewhere you can exercise that right. Even though my rifle was delayed and ever time I talked to people they seemed to be lost.... well... My rifle is sweet! and I will give them one more shot. lol.

</div></div>
I agree with this 1000%.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mopseydocks6014</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, so to GAP it is a 2 months project. How long would it take if one person dedicated to doing it their entire shift? </div></div>
Come on, George did not say it'll take two men months to do it. The two months it's the turnaround, based on the shop workload.

I for one value all HONEST feedback on businesses -- both positive and negative. But it has to be honest and reflect what actually happened. If people just blow smoke up out collective butt about positive experiences, it does not help me and quite frankly I care a lot more about what I may experience with a business than them. If they do good work the balance of reviews will be positive and they will have a good reputation. If they start messing up the balance will shift and so will their reputation, and they'll deserve it.

I've seen a few business I won't name get a stellar reputation, get stuck up and start sticking it to their customers, and within a few short years they're wondering where all that backed up business went.

Regarding the current situation, I'd be upset too if they really said a day and took a month. And I probably wouldn't go back. As I say at MY work, "under promise and over deliver". If they'd told him 6 weeks and he sent it in anyways, and got it back in a month, we'd have the same result but a positive evaluation.

If they had said one month I wouldn't have called until week #5...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I have, Mark Pharr from Tumbleweed quoted me same day, got it done same day. </div></div>

Happens all the time... <grin> </div></div>

Big +1

Mark stays busy as heck. But, if he says "It'll be done by X," you can walk in at X:01 and it will be done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaxson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snipers and Precision Shooters need patients... </div></div>

I guess, if they're doctors.

</div></div>

+1

Wie Sie, Bruder tuend?

Schade kamen wir nicht, um etwas Bier und Schnitzel in Deutschland zu haben. Nächstes Mal!

Hoffnung ist alles gut für Sie. Ich lebe in Austin jetzt so, wenn Sie tun wollen, lässt etwas Schießen mich wissen.

Das ganze Beste,

Tman

Thanks for the +1 guys! I'm finding that as I grow older my tolerance for BS is rapidly declining. I try like hell not to create any BS for people and I get mad as hell when they create BS for me.

By the way, I'm not banging on GAP. Their good guys and they really do a great rifle. I hope that all of this is about one that slipped through the cracks. I have talked to and met George and he seems like salt of the earth. However, if this becomes the norm for GAP (let's all hope not) it won't take long before the phone stops ringing!

Operate like me. Tell them it will take you a month and have it done in three weeks. Everyones happy.

It was brought to my attention some of the things George does for our sport, and i think its a wonderful thing. I also hope Gap isn't getting to big that they cant take care of us little folk. I am sure this isn't the norm for GAP. He didnt get were he is by making to many mistakes. I like being involved with my rifle builds so i find great satisfaction by going with the lesser know builder. They take the time to talk with you on the phone and become your friends. Thats means a ton to me. Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was brought to my attention some of the things George does for our sport, and i think its a wonderful thing. I also hope Gap isn't getting to big that they cant take care of us little folk. I am sure this isn't the norm for GAP. He didnt get were he is by making to many mistakes. I like being involved with my rifle builds so i find great satisfaction by going with the lesser know builder. They take the time to talk with you on the phone and become your friends. Thats means a ton to me. Lee </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wie Sie, Bruder tuend?

Schade kamen wir nicht, um etwas Bier und Schnitzel in Deutschland zu haben. Nächstes Mal!

Hoffnung ist alles gut für Sie. Ich lebe in Austin jetzt so, wenn Sie tun wollen, lässt etwas Schießen mich wissen.

Das ganze Beste,

Tman

</div></div>

Did you just drop the F bomb again????

No doubt GAP builds a great rifle. Gun stuff is just one of those sectors that they can apparently get away with missing deadlines. Just like body shops.

I vowed a few years ago after waiting 4 years for a custom rifle I would just for go my fancy specs and put away my micrometer and buy guns already built. I'm pretty patient... But a super long wait can really be a pain

There's a flaw with saying that all companies have to do is tell you it will take longer than they think. First of all I'm only using GAP as a fictitious example here, it in no way represents how I think they do business.

On the surface it sounds like a great logical idea, if I think a job is going to take 4 weeks, I tell the customer 8 weeks. That way if it's done in 4 weeks, the customer is happy as shit, doing backflips the job is done 4 weeks "early". He's going to sing praises of me to everyone he knows. If I tell him 4 weeks and it's done in 4 weeks and 1 day the customer is PISSED and he's going to bad mouth me.

The problem is two fold. First lets say GAP decides to double the time estimate they think it's going to take. So Bob calls up and asks about a build and GAP tells him 24 months.....then Bob calls up company X and they tell him 6 months (even though they can't get it done for 12+ best case)......GAP is going to loose business because other companies will lie about delivery times to get customers. Companies know that once they have your deposit and/or your build is in progress most people will not cancel half way in because of delays. They know that if you have to go somewhere else you are just going to wait that much longer, and loose at least part of your deposit. So they just tell you a couple more weeks and wait for you to call back in a couple weeks and repeat the process. So it only works if all companies decide to do it at the same time otherwise you loose too much business to companies that will lie to customers about their delivery dates.

Second is customers are PUSSIES. No one demands service anymore, everyone is happy to wait longer than they are told, get products that are not done right the first time, and then be HAPPY about it and give them repeat business. IF customers has the balls to quit buying products from those companies they would be forced to do things right the first time, and delivery by the time they said they would.

Case in point, guy buys a $4500 wilson supergrade .45. Aside a couple premier builders that's pretty well as much as you can spend on a 1911 built from anyone in the country. It arrives (after the promised date of course), has tool marks on the crown, rear sight is loose, and won't run right. Turns out it has a poorly fit slide stop. Sends it back, they address the tooling marks, fit a new slide stop, adjust the rear sight, apologize and return it. He gets it back and it still won't run. Has inconsistent ejection, double feeds, and the rear sight shifts again! So it goes back AGAIN and that's where it stands now.

The worst part is the customer is still not upset. I realize getting pissed with the builder does not help the repair process but come on people, no wonder companies find it so easy to not put out top quality and screw customers over. The fact that a customer can spend $4500 for a handgun that does not run right after 2 trips back for repair and still not be upset that's some serious kool-aid right there.

See above. Read above. Each morning when you have your coffee.

I will refrain from dropping any further f bombs, even in German!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will refrain from dropping any further f bombs, even in German! </div></div>

LOL. I'm just fluckin' with ya dude.....
grin.gif

George and the crew at GAP are building the best rifles around. What ever problem or work load he is having I'm sure he will fix and make things right and yes he is a good friend of mine.

Tracy Bartlein

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T.Bartlein</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George and the crew at GAP are building the best rifles around. What ever problem or work load he is having I'm sure he will fix and make things right and yes he is a good friend of mine.

Tracy Bartlein
</div></div>

I just have to ask out of curiosity Tracy.....As you are a supplier and GAP is your customer do you as provider of components MEET all deadlines when GAP orders a bunch of barrels from you? I mean are you ever twice as long on delivery as quoted? Also how many are returned because they were not done right the first time?...are they returned a second time because they still won't shoot? Bet not!!

Asking only because it would be interesting to know if the majority of suppliers for stocks(we all know where McM is on this deal), barrels, actions etc operate under the same backlogs as rifle builders themselves claim to have. I would be willing to bet the rifle builders are not as patient of a customer as they expect their customers to be, and their suppliers for the most part don't require 25% or more up front and then wait a yr.

I emailed GAP over 2yrs ago wanting an 'estimate' to install a Sako extractor in a Remmy bolt and look over another that came in a rifle that didn't work quite right that had a Sako extractor. I am on disability income so surprise prices are not an option. I am still waiting for a reply........just sayin. Is that customer service?....and yes I received an email notice from GAP that my message was received!

Edit to add another example..On 8/7/07 I had a phone conversation with Boots Obermeyer about a 6.5mm blank. He said "2-3 months" he would have me one and gave me his email address to send him exactly what I wanted via email. On Aug 28 I placed the 'official' order for a 6.5 and a .30 blank. The .30 was done mid Dec of 07. In Feb when I inquired about the 6.5 the response was to "remind him in a few weeks" as he hadn't gotten around to any 6.5's but needed to do so. Same response in July. Was told 12/3/08 that his computer crashed and no order and to resubmit and I did. In Feb of 09 another put off that he hadn't gotten to the 6.5's yet but could get me another 30 cal "fairly quick". Well I waited till June 30, 09 to "remind him" again as there was no "fairly quick 30 cal either"!!! June 30, 09 another 'reminder'!!!! He never responded to that email nor 3 more I have sent. The last 2 of which I told him to feel free to break our contract as I would wait no longer.

So I waited 2 frickin yrs on his promises of delivering me a blank and the last 4 months before I emailed him to forget it with not even the courtesy of a response or an apology. At the time I was dead set on wanting to use one of his excellent barrels. I could have ordered a Krieger, Bartlein, or some flippin thing from Flat Cock, Africa and been shooting for 20 months by now. Now I start all over and wait. If that inconsiderate prick would have told me up front or even a yr later he could never make me one I would have understood. Not even the balls to return emails now. So I wonder if the famous Mr Boots Obermeyer would tolerate such false promises, put offs, excuses from his steel suppliers and tooling suppliers???? Think I know the answer. Wished he would be treated in such a manner for a bit. Still pissed just because he was so adamant that he could/would deliver initially and kept stringing me along. He better hope he never loses his apparently lucrative government contracts and have to win back everyone he has pissed off, put off and lied to over the last few yrs.

Ok, now I am done with my bitch fest!!!!!!

OP - Success and demand are never easy bed-fellows in a bespoke manufacturing business.

I'm having GAP build a rifle - and, yes it has taken a fairly long time...longer than George originally forecast and probably longer than necessary due to some late changes in spec I made and also (for the last few months) due to delay on getting the scope from the manufacturer - NOTHING GAP can do about this.

Maybe my situation is a little different from you guys on the other side of the water - smiths with the reputation of GAP are few and far between here and this rifle has to be 110% right before it ships as it would be the devil's own job to send it back for rework.

Sure...the wait is excruciating at times and I've asked myself several times two main points:

1) Would I rather get my rifle quicker?
2) Which aspect of the work would I be happy to compromise on?

The answers are (still):

1) No, it is not necessary for me as this is not a duty rifle, it is for recreational purposes
2) I'm not prepared to compromise so I'll give GAP the space and support necessary to do the job I'm both expecting and paying for.

I'm sure George could recruit additional staff to cover upturns in his business but would he get the right guys? ?

FWIW I'd rather cut George and his guys the slack to do the quality job for which they are known than George grows his business too far, too fast to keep pace with flutuating demand and pays the price in a downturn in quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bsp212</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...after speaking with them and being quoted same day turnaround service...One week later I called to confirm they were actually in possession of it...I was told they would get it out that week...I followed up 1 1/2 weeks later after no contact and was told it wasn't done and they would put it on George's bench so it would sureley get done then. No big deal again, that was Monday. Today I call close to the close of business because of no contact and sure enough, it wasn't done....</div></div>I'm not defending George, but am I the only one that doesn't see a threshold problem with this?

It should have been done in a day, but it wasn't. So an agreement was made to have it done by the end of the week. It was then given to George to take care of personally, but he was not there to do it. Someone dropped the ball, twice, but in the vast scheme of mistakes this wasn't a big one: it's unfortunate, but in business this kind of stuff happens and making it right is all that is required.

If you let this kind of stuff piss you off instead of using it to develop your problem-solving skills then you're in for a rough life.
smile.gif

Now Tracy, shut down the computer and get making my gain-twist barrel or I'll take it out on George!
laugh.gif

Under promise and over deliver. That being said it's not the mistakes you make as a growing company but how you resolve them that define you. I asked George about a build as a newb and never had it done but he was patient and explained things to me that the average guy already knows.I have nothing but good things to say about his communications.

Must be rag time with this bitchfest goin on. If you do not talk to one of the principals re. work time, etc., you have no call to gripe. If you'd have asked George how long (given that it's such a big deal to you), he'd have told you straight up. To complain about the job when he's out of town and unable to respond or complete the work is a problem with you and not with GAP. If you gotta piss, take it outside the tent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeRe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Must be rag time with this bitchfest goin on. If you do not talk to one of the principals re. work time, etc., you have no call to gripe. </div></div>

You call and talk to the owner of every company you do business with? BS. I'm sure George hires people to answer the phones so he can still be bothered by every single person who wants to have work done or has a simple question.

George did indeed respond to every question I ever asked of him. Down to such trivial things as what ring height for the scope I was mounting on the build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeRe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Must be rag time with this bitchfest goin on. If you do not talk to one of the principals re. work time, etc., you have no call to gripe. If you'd have asked George how long (given that it's such a big deal to you), he'd have told you straight up. To complain about the job when he's out of town and unable to respond or complete the work is a problem with you and not with GAP. If you gotta piss, take it outside the tent. </div></div>

"As a point of clarification, if you have a legitimate complaint against a company, by all means you are free to air it, providing it does not turn into a personal attack and name calling dog pile.

Things happens and when they do we need to know in order to protect others. This is not meant to stop discussion of any company. Bad goes with the good sometimes. However it is not for people with no direct knowledge to come on and attack a business simply because they don't like them." - Lowlight's own words.

GAP did not deliver on any commitments made including the one to ship my bolt back on Friday of last week. However, they did in fact call to tell me this because they wanted to know if I wanted them to sent the bolt to another party to install the extractor, I missed the call and didn't get the voicemail until after the close of business. Because of this, I have every call to gripe in the world. However, I did not "gripe", I simply posted factually supported evidence of my disappointment with the level of service and communication I received. Whether or not the commitments came from George or another employee doesn't matter. The employees represent GAP just as George does and maybe more so. Also, if you would have read the original post, you would have seen that I attempted to contact George via PM before posting. The bottom line here is that I will be satisfied by one of two things: either my bolt and extractor returned to me, or the work completed. George has made a commitment to complete the work to the bolt on Thursday. As stated before, I think he should have the opportunity to do so and I have confidence it will get done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's a flaw with saying that all companies have to do is tell you it will take longer than they think. First of all I'm only using GAP as a fictitious example here, it in no way represents how I think they do business.

On the surface it sounds like a great logical idea, if I think a job is going to take 4 weeks, I tell the customer 8 weeks. That way if it's done in 4 weeks, the customer is happy as shit, doing backflips the job is done 4 weeks "early". He's going to sing praises of me to everyone he knows. If I tell him 4 weeks and it's done in 4 weeks and 1 day the customer is PISSED and he's going to bad mouth me.

The problem is two fold. First lets say GAP decides to double the time estimate they think it's going to take. So Bob calls up and asks about a build and GAP tells him 24 months.....then Bob calls up company X and they tell him 6 months (even though they can't get it done for 12+ best case)......GAP is going to loose business because other companies will lie about delivery times to get customers. Companies know that once they have your deposit and/or your build is in progress most people will not cancel half way in because of delays. They know that if you have to go somewhere else you are just going to wait that much longer, and loose at least part of your deposit. So they just tell you a couple more weeks and wait for you to call back in a couple weeks and repeat the process. So it only works if all companies decide to do it at the same time otherwise you loose too much business to companies that will lie to customers about their delivery dates.

Second is customers are PUSSIES. No one demands service anymore, everyone is happy to wait longer than they are told, get products that are not done right the first time, and then be HAPPY about it and give them repeat business. IF customers has the balls to quit buying products from those companies they would be forced to do things right the first time, and delivery by the time they said they would.

Case in point, guy buys a $4500 wilson supergrade .45. Aside a couple premier builders that's pretty well as much as you can spend on a 1911 built from anyone in the country. It arrives (after the promised date of course), has tool marks on the crown, rear sight is loose, and won't run right. Turns out it has a poorly fit slide stop. Sends it back, they address the tooling marks, fit a new slide stop, adjust the rear sight, apologize and return it. He gets it back and it still won't run. Has inconsistent ejection, double feeds, and the rear sight shifts again! So it goes back AGAIN and that's where it stands now.

The worst part is the customer is still not upset. I realize getting pissed with the builder does not help the repair process but come on people, no wonder companies find it so easy to not put out top quality and screw customers over. The fact that a customer can spend $4500 for a handgun that does not run right after 2 trips back for repair and still not be upset that's some serious kool-aid right there. </div></div>

lots of truth in this post.

im an auto mechanic. we have 'same day service' on 90% of the repairs we do. on the other jobs like engine replacement, jobs that you have special order parts on, etc. we usually say a job will be done a day later than it most likely will be. that way, like you said, the customer is happy when its done EARLY, instead of it being LATE. but like you said, 'wait time' is a big part of competition, particularly with guns, etc. but apparently the customer base is happy with GAP wait time, in exchange for a great product, the same way some are happy dealing with getting the bugs out of premier's new scopes and paying top money for them. most of the time it seems like wait times are quoted short to get the deposit. once the deposit is received most will put up with anything, especially when you want a great rifle like a GAP

i used to be big into 18th century reenacting. i've slowed down on that hobby due to a few life changes, but that hobby is worse with waits than tactical rifles and accessories. i ordered a custom totally hand built flintlock long rifle, but a reputable builder in 1997. I was quoted a 1 year delivery turnaround. I received the rifle in 2001. just a month over 4 years. Soon after i took delivery, i ordered another rifle from another maker, who was known for 'quick' turnaround. i was quoted a delivery time of 8 months. i ordered it in 2003 and took delivery in 2007. the wait was blamed on waiting for a barrel. so i finally had enough and ordered my own barrel and sent it to him. deducted it off the price of the gun and it was completed in 4 weeks after he got the barrel.

i think for any customer a company would lose for stating a more 'realistic' wait time, they would gain a customer with the honesty. most guys are quite happy waiting a long time for things, AS LONG as its delivered when its supposed to be. after 15 phone calls, 10 different stories, and a year later, a customer can get pretty fed up.

i have all the parts to put together my dream rifle. im waiting to send it out to GAP until after i buy a used GAP, so i can have a gun to run while i deal with the wait to have the other one put together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bsp212</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As stated before, I think he should have the opportunity to do so and I have confidence it will get done. </div></div>
I'm glad this has been taken care.
Scaling up a business is not as easy as adding new employees, so certain mishaps can happen along the path
wink.gif

Let's say GAP has a 98% customer satisfaction rating (I know its probably lower) overall a great company. It still sucks being in the 2%. Good luck with your repairs.

Thankfully we have great local recources here to deal face to face with.

Some of you guys are harsh, We are human obviously a mistake was made here. It's being taken care of, I'll be back in the shop tomarrow, it's #1 to be taken care of. On the topic of accurate turnarround times. It's alot harder then most of you think to accuratly forcast turnarround times. There are a ton of varriables involved. Our venders, our workload, goverment contracts with timelines. Then on top of that , Vacations, Illness, emergencys. When we give an estimate it's our best edjucated guess based on all of the above. All it takes is one varriable to change and it changes the whole thing. We have never had a build go over 13 months. And we have alot of happy customers. I hate it when we screw up but given the number of rifles we build vs our fuckups I'm still pretty proud of my guys. Look at the top 10 of all the rifle matches I think you will find that we build a stellar product.

Problems like this that are brought to our attention only help them from happening again.

My nuts have felt fine so Im not confident that there is anyone swinging from them.