• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My dream rifle finally a reality.

wburke2010

Minuteman
About a year ago I got started in long range shooting, not really knowing what I wanted I had a rifle built by a local smith. The rifle shot good, but it left me with something to be desired. After putting some rounds down range and being comfortable with my shooting I started to learn what I really wanted. So I started buying parts until I had everything that I wanted, and if I could do it over again I would not change a thing. For my smith I decided to use Scott Weichel local to me in Wylie, TX and I couldn't have made a better choice. Scott was top notch to work with and does some amazing work. He will defiantly be building me more rifles in the future. Most of the parts were sourced here on the hide and everyone that I did business with was top notch in their dealings and I could not recommend them more.

Specs

Stiller Tac 30 action with aw mag cut, one piece bolt, with straight bolt handle bought from Sledge Hammer here on the hide.
Barrel is a Brux M24 finished at 26" Threaded with a thread protector bought from Bugholes here on the hide with great service and fast shipping
Huber two stage trigger at 2.5 lbs bought from Mark at Accurate Ordnance who also had great service and fast shipping, Mark was great to deal with and answered all of my questions with no problems
Stock is a Manners T2A with 90% carbon fill, two non rotating flush cups on both sides, extended lop. This is my second Manners Stock and the crew at Manners is in a class of their own with top notch customer service.
Bottom Metal is from Stiller and I like that it has the beveled mag well, holds the mag nice and tight with no rattle or sloppy play.
Atlas bipod, Tab sling, and extra 10 round aw mag were all bought from Triad Tactical, which is also a top notch company that will defiantly get my business in future purchases.
Scope is a USO 3.2-17 Tpal, erek knob, digital blue illumination sitting in seekins low rings. Which was purchased from Lazy21 here on the hide, He is great to do business with and the only place to get your USO gear from.

The rifle is chambered in 243 win. The purpose of this rifle is for target shooting and some hunting, but it will be my go to rifle for 500 and in. I have some Berger 105 grain hybrids to work up some loads with when I get a chance, but will be sighting it in with some factory HSM ammo, because I have a ram hunt to go on next weekend.

I can not say enough good things about Scott, if you are needing a rifle built he is defiantly GTG.

Thanks
Walter

Attachments

• IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
A very nice looking rig, indeed! My next build will be on a T2, accurized 700 action, 28" Bart HV.

Sweet Ride Walter, I'm here in TX Too! Might need to Hit Scott up on some custom works myself in the future. What was the turn around time for the rifle build (All Parts Supplied of course)?

Sweet Ride Walter, I'm here in TX Too! Might need to Hit Scott up on some custom works myself in the future. What was the turn around time for the rifle build (All Parts Supplied of course)?

Not exacly sure but I think it was a little over a month for him to put it together. I just dropped the parts off and tried waiting as paitently as I could. Scott is great to deal with and does an amazing job, he can definatly take care of you.

Walter

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Unfortunately a load work up and range report will have to wait, because I have a ram hunt next weekend so I got some HSM ammo with 95 grain berger vlds to sight it in and take hunting with me. But after that I will get a load worked up.

Looks good Walter, if you need someone to test it. Let me know ;)

Yeah I have had a few other people tell me that too. If your every up this way let me know and maybe we can go do some shooting or see if we can find some pigs out at my place. Still love the USO, can't wait to be able to order another from you.

Walter

I have about a 1000 rounds through a rifle with this scope in all kinds of light and ranges out to 900 so far. I hands down love the USO, it is crisp and clear glass, tracks great, built like a tank. I like the low profile erek knob, Under Lazy21's advice I got the us #3 windage knob and it is also great. I really don't have any complaints with the USO.

Walter

range report

Well I had a chance to load up some rounds and test it out this weekend. I loaded from 41 grains to 43 grains in .2 grain increments, using new lapua brass, fed 210m, 105 berger hybrid and H4350.

All loads were with .020 jump and shot at 250 yards off bipod and rear bag. Over a Magnetospeed chrony.

This load was the best with a .967 CTC spread. which is .36 moa the load is running right around 3050. with a es of 30 and a sd of 16. There was one load that threw off the es all the others where with about 15 fps or so.

IMG_0171_zpsacc0758b.jpg
[/URL]

This load was the second best if you don't count the flyer which I knew was a bad shot when I released the trigger. I am still getting used to the Huber. without the flyer the group was 1.007 CTC. with the flyer it opened up to 3 inches.

IMG_0172_zpsc654dfe8.jpg
[/URL]

All of the other groups measured somewhere around 2 inches. But the above two was where everything fell into place and started shooting good. All the groups were under MOA and most of them hovered between .5 to .75 MOA

So far I am really liking this rifle, The Huber has a great feel and a nice clean break with the two stage set up. I need to go back and take one of the small spacers out of the stock because it is a little long.

IMG_0157_zpsf6f6cde3.jpg
[/URL]

Thanks
Walter

Off topic, but how do you like the Magneto Chrono? Had one guy in our club trying to use one, but couldn't get the thing to tighten on his bbl...

Off topic, but how do you like the Magneto Chrono? Had one guy in our club trying to use one, but couldn't get the thing to tighten on his bbl...

This is the first time that I have used it, I did not get a reading on the first ten shots because I did not have it setup right. Once it is setup right it is great. There is a certain way to tighten down and you have to follow the instructions on that. But I think there is two different versions and there is two different adapters for different size barrels.

Walter