• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My First AR Build

Derrick0188

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2013
Im currently working on my first AR 15 build. Im building this gun for medium range shooting and possibly small game. I currently have a CMMG M4 with EOTech 512 that I use for home defense and plinking.

The lower I used on this gun was a MAG Tactical Systems lower that I bought at my local AR store. They talked me into buying it. I had worries about the material it was constructed out of which is a magnesium alloy, but after reading several review I'm convinced of its durability. I used a CMMG lower parts kit which went in smoothly. The only issue with the parts kit was a missing magazine release spring. A quick call to the manufacture and a new spring is on its way. The upper receiver I used Double Star. I read several positive reviews about their uppers and have no doubts to its durability. I went with a Magpul UBR stock for adjustability and increased stability over their MOE and CTR lineup. I must say I really like it. It has some weight to it, which I like. Hand grip is a Magpul MOE+ rubber grip.

The rest of the parts im acquiring as I go. Im not 100% decided on the barrel but I am leaning towards Daniel Defense and BCM 16" M4 1:7 twist barrels as well as a Daniel Defense or BCM BCG. I thought about running a 20" or a varmint barrel but I believe I would do just fine with a 16" M4 barrel and save a little on weight. A Midwest Industries full length aluminum hand guard for the front end.

I am planning on running a scope on top with flip up style back up sights if space allows for it. A quick detach mount and maybe a Nikon P-223 Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm BDC 600. Still deciding on those. I just thought I would post up my build and gather some thoughts. Thanks.

MAGar_zpsc6cce391.jpg

Looks good. What role do you intend this rifle to fill? This may help guide some of your choices like barrel length (anything more specific than "medium range shooting and possibly small game?) If this, then look at a match grade 18" stainless barrel from Rainier Arms, Noveske, or Compass Lake Engineering. Be prepared to spend some money though, especially for a Noveske.

I acquired a Noveske barrel a while ago for a build I am in the middle of. I would say go with the barrel that has the best reputation for accuracy that you can afford. Go with a quality mount, QD if you prefer, and buy the best glass you can afford with just a little more magnification than you plan on needing. Your three most important areas to put money into are your barrel, mount, and GLASS (not necessarily magnification). And I would stay away from a BDC reticle. If you want something like that look into the HORUS reticles.

Im currently working on my first AR 15 build. Im building this gun for medium range shooting and possibly small game.

I would humbly have you consider a 6.5 Grendel if this is the case, which will also allow you to hunt medium game, while having a great lightweight intermediate-to-long range blaster with a lot of inherent accuracy potential.

A 123gr .264" diameter projectile will blow through shoulders on a lot of medium game, and there are an amazing number of hunting and target projectiles for the 6.5mm/.264" guns.

I don't know how many 5.56 carbines I have, but none of them really excite me anymore. Sure, I have them for short-range blasting and high-volume work, but I have seen a shift lately where I don't even take any of them with me when I go out to shoot, since 5.56 has doubled in price.

I just focus more on my intermediate and long-range shooting on my steel targets, and the lightweight little Grendel is a pleasure to shoot. Shooters who haven't shot with a rifle past 100 or 200yds have been 100% so far on 1st-round hits at 300, 400, and 500yds with it using my wind calls. 600yd hits are easy for me in high winds, and in no wind, I have literally made easy consecutive hits at 1200yds, and that's with my little 16" Grendel. I have almost half the wind-drift of a 55gr 5.56 with the Grendel.

Sight picture at 400yds:

I have used several different parts kits for builds and I must say I really like the cmmg kits they seem to fit really nice.Your rifle is looking good man its an addiction for sure keep us updated on the build.