• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My First PU Sniper Rifle is on The Way...

How did you remove the shellac and what did you put on the wood after to make it look like that? It looks awesome.

Honestly, I began the clean up process by trying to keep the rifle completely unmolested... I just wanted to remove the cosmoline. Eventually I uttered a few "Oh Craps!" and a "WTF!!!" and before to long there was no turning back... I had screwed the stock up, the history was gone...

I started with mineral spirits to remove the cosmoline... then I used denatured alchohol to remove the shellac, which ultimately bleached the stock. I continued with the DA and a green scrubber pad until all of the shellac was gone. I started the turn by adding a light coat of boiled linseed oil... the stock was looking great, as the definition of the wood grain was so crisp and clear... the cartouche on the butt of the stock was returning, it was great. The next morning, the stock was blotchy with all of the dark spots you see on it now. I gave the stock a coat of Red mahogany stain, wiping away any axcess. The next day I added another coat of boiled linseed oil. I aternated the coats uintil I had three of each. I used #0000 in between the coats to knock down any grain and smooth out any rough edges. Finally I used a single coat of Formby's Tung Oil in a satin finish. Once cured, I knocked the shine off of it with the #0000. I tried to copy this procedure that worked out so well on my first Mosin Nagant:

Mosin Nagant Stock Refinish - YouTube

It is a vicious cycle that I cannot leave well enough alone...

Last edited:
DRAGON64
Nice!
Saving the markings makes it even better, as, for many of us, they are part of the rifle's history. If these rifles could speak, some of them would have great stories to tell us, from Hunters to Snipers, from Fathers to Sons.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

I used Linseed Oil on one of my Mosins, an M44 Izzy made in 1945, and will only use oil to refinish a stock from now on.
Before:
image_zps90281453.jpg

During:
image_zps81ade046.jpg

After:
image_zps8f09fe74.jpg

And it shoots too!
image_zpsd328ddb7.jpg

This coming weekend is looking stellar, so I will be headed back to the range to work solely on sighting in the current set-up. I have not shot this rifle due to some timing issues and weather... but this weekend I plan to sit on the bench and shoot.

longguntoter - that is a nice group with the M44 carbine... and Brwon Bear ammo.

I managed a little range time with the PU sniper rifle this pastweekend...

PU Sniper Rifle Range Testing - YouTube

Will be doing the same on Friday, testing new trigger sears and shims on Tula 43 Sniper PU and 37 Izhevsk.
Will shoot surplus and Factory ammo first; if good results, will also try new reloads.
Good luck to you, going for the Bull next time at the range.
Have fun and good shooting..
Ombre noire

Hi Guys
Made it to the range on Friday, check out the results on SH "Vintage Sniper Rifles" at "Accurizing the Mosin-Nagant".
Looks like the Tula 43 Sniper is doing well; I can still improve the 37 Izhevsk but it is getting better.
I'll take any suggestion.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire