• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My First Rifle... Savage, Remington or Ruger?

fskjester

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2014
Washington, MI
I am looking to purchase my first large cal rifle. I have decided on the .308 / 7.62x51 because it is very capable, common and can take down pretty much anything in North America. I still need help deciding which rifle to go with. Here are my top three contenders.

-The Ruger Gunsite Scout - Love the scout style, ghost ring open sites and size and how easy to lug around. Also love how easy to someday put a suppressor on it.
-Remington 700 SPS Tactical (preferably but not necessarily in the aac-sd version) A remy 700 it's so upgradeable as time goes on...
-Savage 10FCP-k - seems likes savages version of the sps tactical and I've read good things.

This will be a hunting rifle and a target rifle.

I will more often be using this for target shooting at 500m or less. I will be shooting on a 500m range it's 5 mins from my house $150 a year and I would like to learn to be accurate at that range. I know a lot of people say they want something to shoot that distance however they never will. I will definitely be doing so therefore it's important that the rife is capable.

My budget? Well I would prefer to stay under...

-$1000 on my rifle (the lower the better)
-$300 on my Optic

So with that criteria and purpose what are some thoughts? Feel free to toss in a new gun or some optic ideas as I have no idea on optics.

Savage is a great choice in my opinion. The model 10's are great tack drivers as factory weapons. For optics i would run a SWFA super sniper in a straight 14x power. The SWFA is only 299 and you get Quality glass and True turret tracking that is every bit as good as your 2000 dollar glass. As for rings id run the steel 20 moa picattiny TPS base with their low 30mm Steel rings. This set up is a great match as i have a Savage model 10 FCP-SR thats set up like this and have no problem banging 10" steel plates @ 700 meters.

Savage is a great choice in my opinion. The model 10's are great tack drivers as factory weapons. For optics i would run a SWFA super sniper in a straight 14x power. The SWFA is only 299 and you get Quality glass and True turret tracking that is every bit as good as your 2000 dollar glass. As for rings id run the steel 20 moa picattiny TPS base with their low 30mm Steel rings. This set up is a great match as i have a Savage model 10 FCP-SR thats set up like this and have no problem banging 10" steel plates @ 700 meters.
20MOA rail for 500m or less?
14X fixed power on a rig that's going hunting?
He said what route should he go, not "what's on your rifle"

I agree with the Savage 10, it's much more than what a SPS is out of the box. SWFA isn't bad advice as far as glass goes - but I would consider a 3-9 if you're going hunting.

I'd get a Remington 700. Everybody works on them, parts are everywhere, and the resale is about as good as it gets. Plenty accurate out of the box. You could get a used one and it will not depreciate. You should be able to shoot more than a few thousand rounds down a factory tube, before you need to rebarrel. Just my .02, J

+1 on the Savage 10 series, hard to go wrong with those.

You should look at Tikka also, I'm building one now and must say they are a nice rifle for the $$.

20MOA rail for 500m or less?
14X fixed power on a rig that's going hunting?
He said what route should he go, not "what's on your rifle"

I agree with the Savage 10, it's much more than what a SPS is out of the box. SWFA isn't bad advice as far as glass goes - but I would consider a 3-9 if you're going hunting.

20MOA rail YES! so tell me how many people on here actually stay within their said range when they think thats all they will shoot? A 20MOA rail is the same price as a straight rail so why wouldn't you go 20 off the start to save yourself the expense in the long run? when you decide to stretch it out and ya run out of elevation feel free to kick yourself in the ass and waste more money buying a 20MOA rail.

As for hunting, yes your right a fixed depending on where your hunting could suck but if you can find a 3x9 in great glass quality and true 100% tracking turrets with matching reticle like the SWFA for under $300 well then ill eat my words but there isn't a damn one out there.

So it all comes down to the simple shit. you cant budget build and have the best for both worlds without giving something up. Or spending more green backs.

Last edited:
Like I said I'd prefer to stay under $300. The nice thing about the scout is it gets me on the range with nothing more than the rifle (iron sights). Not ideal but it works. Sounds like the Savage 10 is a favorite here. I'd love to hear why. Also if I can get something noticeably better for a little more money let me know. What is the 20 moa rail. I'm relatively new at building a rifle. I've shot them and owned a few just nothing real serious. Whatever came on it from the gun show type of past if that makes sense.

The Savage 10FCP-K has been discontinued for 2014.

$1300 for a rifle and optic, eh?

Options, given in order of popularity and not necessarily recommendation:
1. 700 Tactical or AAC-SD, a Bell & Carlson A3 or M40 Medalist stock, a Weaver 20MOA base, Burris XTR low rings, and a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40
2. Savage 11 Hog Hunter, Bell & Carlson A2 Medalist stock, Weaver 20MOA base, Burris XTR low rings, and a Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x40
3. Howa #23104 barreled action, Bell & Carlson Medalist stock, Talley 20MOA base, Burris XTR low rings, and a Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x40

(notice a theme? The Weaver GST 3-10x is a good budget optic, Burris XTR rings aren't great but they work very well, and most "budget" rifles have shitty factory stocks with the Medalist being a good value option)

4. Shop around and buy used gear, meaning your dollar goes further.
4a. Find used a Tikka T3 Scout CTR, or look into the new CTR which is at the top of your price range and is dropping this month at EuroOptic

Last edited:
It would also be helpful to know why some of you have said the rifle you said.

Much of that will hinge on each person's experiences and biases.

If you buy a Savage, folks will give you a hard time for it...but odds are good that it'll be accurate and teach you a lot for less of a cash outlay than a 700. The upside to a Savage is 1. cheaper and 2. DIY, the downside is 1. lower resale values and 2. "its a Savage" (meaning looks, feel, reliability, etc. depending on who you ask and what their previous experience with Savages has been).

If you buy a 700, its the "safe" choice as everybody has one, but its not necessarily "better" than any other option. Every smith out there can work on them, massive aftermarket, metric ton of data for ammo and loads and everything else. The small-block Chevy of the precision rifle world, and for good reason. It will need a stock and a trigger, however, as the factory options are terrible (IMO).

If you get a Howa, you've thought outside the box and gotten a solid system that provides good value, but that many folks will never have heard of.

If you get a Tikka, you'll have hands-down the best feeling, most true factory action that should shoot well but will cost more than the others.

Pay yous money and take yous chances...

I bought a Savage model 10pc in 308 a month ago and Im not a satisfied customer. Horrible chamber causing ZERO accuracy or consistency. Needs a new barrel. Roughly $350 more or sell the gun. I hope Savage doesnt start riding on their past accuracy and well made rifles. But, there are some bad 700's also. Just gamble and pick one. You may luck out. Or strike out. Good luck.

Get a savage model 10, put a 20 MOA egw base on it, a ss straight 6x42, buy some black hills match ammo, and go shoot the piss out of it. That will serve you very well, more than long enough to find out what else you may like

As someone who started with a Savage and upgraded it, I would advise against it for certain purposes but it's fine for others. Affordability was my primary motivation since it was my first rifle I bought and didn't realize how much quality parts cost yet. If all you care about is shooting small groups then you'll probably be happy with the Savage and save money. I don't want to get a thread started about whether it's capable or being a comp rifle. I can tell you that, subjectively, it was frustrating upgrading it and it not feeling as smooth as a stock Remington or Tikka even though it shot well. In my opinion, if you know that you're going to eventually upgrade the Remington or Tikka will be a better option with better resale value as long as you value factors other than group shooting and budget equally as much as those.

I'd try to find a used R700 SPS Varmint .308 for around $500 then a new or used SWFA 3-15 would be nice for the rest of the budget. If you decide you like it then you can get a take off HS Precision stock for a good deal or get a Manners when it's in the budget.

20MOA rail YES! so tell me how many people on here actually stay within their said range when they think thats all they will shoot? A 20MOA rail is the same price as a straight rail so why wouldn't you go 20 off the start to save yourself the expense in the long run? when you decide to stretch it out and ya run out of elevation feel free to kick yourself in the ass and waste more money buying a 20MOA rail.

As for hunting, yes your right a fixed depending on where your hunting could suck but if you can find a 3x9 in great glass quality and true 100% tracking turrets with matching reticle like the SWFA for under $300 well then ill eat my words but there isn't a damn one out there.

So it all comes down to the simple shit. you cant budget build and have the best for both worlds without giving something up. Or spending more green backs.
Because depending on the $300 optic, you wont be able to zero or adjust to 100 yards - which depending on your hunting habits can be important.
And no, 14x fixed power is not a good compromise.

Last edited:
If you want the best bang for the buck I would get a savage as they won the five gun contest for being accurate.

They have a built in vibration dampener that allows them to shoot many brands of ammo more accurately.

Savage for out of the box accuracy and range shooting, Tikka for the smooth action/feel and for hunting, Rem 700 for aftermarket sky's the limit mods.

I own or have owned 4 of the 5 being discussed here. My suggestions:

1) Howa 1500 - best bang for the buck, very well made and strong. Somewhat limited aftermarket but much better than for Ruger. And other than the stock you won't want or need to change much.

2) Tikka T3 - only one I haven't owned. Plenty of great reviews here. More money up front but little you need to do to it.

3) Rem 700 - these are like the Chevy pickup of rifles. Not really great at anything, but by far the most common with the most aftermarket, anyone who calls themself a gunsmith can work on it, etc. They are fine, just not great. Over time you will upgrade or replace most of the parts, but that's easy to do for a 700. It won't be cheap though.

4) Savage 10/11/12 - a lot of bang for the buck. Feel cheap, because, well, in some ways they are. Can be very accurate out of the box, and some people like the Accutrigger. One of the biggest problems is how often Savage changes dimensions or design points, so the aftermarket options are much more limited, because while item X may fit some Savage, it may not fit yours.

5) Ruger, anything. If you are going to keep it factory stock and only go hunting they make pretty good rifles. There is little to no aftermarket and the design (M77, primarily) is not easily adaptable to a lot of stocks and other parts made for the Rem or Savage. I could easily recommend a Ruger M77 to someone who is only a hunter and will not want to change the stock or do anything even slightly fancy, but if you have any chance of wanting to change things, skip Ruger.

If it were me, on your stated budget, I'd get a Howa barreled action, B&C stock, Farrell or Warne scope base, and either a SWFA SS 10x42 ($299) or some other scope in that price range (Weaver Tactical 3-10x40, Burris MTAC 3.5-10x42, Leupold Mark AR, etc.).

This barreled action can be had for $439 (out of stock-reserve price):

Howa Barreled Action HWB23103 308 Varmint Blue 24" $439.00 SHIPS FREE

This stock for $248 (sale price):

Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 2 Remington 700 SPS BDL Savage 10/12 Weatherby Vanguard Howa 1500 Vertical Grip 2092, 2096, 2997, 2998 & 2999

That leaves approximately $600 for the scope/base/ring combination of your choice.

And who knows, by the time the barreled action is back in stock maybe you can save up a little more to put toward glass.

Having been someone who was once in your shoes it was a very hard choice between the remington 700 aac and the savage however after handling both I dont feel one or the other is superior. I ended up choosing the rem due to personal preference on the bolt feel. The remington just felt smoother. I have put mine into a aics 1.5 chassis and have no problem shooting a wonderful 5 shot group at 100 yards. I just installed a timney trigger and couldn't be happier. My advice is if possible find the rifles locally and see what you prefer. I'm beyond happy with my remington and a lot of the criticisms I see just don't hold up with my personal experiences. If your looking to upgrade down the road get a rem. if that's not your style the Tikkas seem to be great out the box in general consensus. The ones I tried just didn't. Hope this helps. The one advice I will give you don't go cheap on your base and rings. I torqued seekins and have neve had a single problem. A buddy of mine got a nightforce base and rings and has had his scope slip a few times believe it or not. I feel your glass and base and rings are going to really show you a difference in quality. Hope this helped

Here are my top three contenders.

-The Ruger Gunsite Scout - Love the scout style, ghost ring open sites and size and how easy to lug around. Also love how easy to someday put a suppressor on it.
-Remington 700 SPS Tactical (preferably but not necessarily in the aac-sd version) A remy 700 it's so upgradeable as time goes on...
-Savage 10FCP-k - seems likes savages version of the sps tactical and I've read good things.

None of the above. Get a Tikka and be done with it. If you want to get fancy, then drop it in a XLR or KRG chassis.

My budget? Well I would prefer to stay under...

-$1000 on my rifle (the lower the better)
-$300 on my Optic

So with that criteria and purpose what are some thoughts? Feel free to toss in a new gun or some optic ideas as I have no idea on optics.

People new to this tend to lowball what they need to spend on optics. This is a bad decision because you cannot hit what you cannot see. The question is what is the best value optic for my needs. I think you should up to at least $700 for the optics system, which includes the scope base, rings, butler creek caps, etc. I recommend you look at the Vortex HS-T line if you are on a budget and consider that the bare bones minimum if you want a tactical like rig. If all you want is a hunting rifle then go with the Burris Fullfield II and take advantage of the rebate offer.

And the other two don't? I'll take a remy over the others any day.

Savages also scream "cheap" but at least they are consistently accurate and Savage puts money into the things that matter (like barrels and triggers). The Ruger Model 77 is anything but a cheap rifle. It is different, but not cheap.

In retrospect, I'd rather have the low cost Japanese or Finnish option than any of the American choices.

Savages also scream "cheap" but at least they are consistently accurate and Savage puts money into the things that matter (like barrels and triggers). The Ruger Model 77 is anything but a cheap rifle. It is different, but not cheap.

In retrospect, I'd rather have the low cost Japanese or Finnish option than any of the American choices.

I've never had to send a Remington back due to poor accuracy. I've heard reports of others doing so but I haven't and I don't personally know anybody who has. At least Remington replaces the barrel or entire rifle when you send it back though.

I've bought several savages that wouldn't shoot. My LRH 7mm shot 5-6" groups and savage sent it back saying it was within specs. My buddy sent his 110 338 lapua back for the same thing. I also had several 17HMR's that shot like crap and savage did nothing.

The M77 is a pile of shit. One the the loosest clanky actions there is and because of that looseness they bind like crazy. Good luck with action torque if you ever take it out of the stock, you'll waste 100 rounds of ammo trying to get it to shoot again and finding the action torque that specific gun likes that time it went back together. Couldn't give me one.

T3 Scout or T3 CTR.

This. Period.

I have (or have had) all of the rifles mentioned (still have all but the Ruger). The Tikkas are really hard to beat as a entry rifle (have a T-3 Hunter and waiting on a CTR from Eurooptics now).

Did the Savage thing, took my ass whipping and never looking back. Cheaply made POS. Even if you replace everything but the reciever with aftermarket parts, it is likely to be accurate but have other design related functioning issues (again, been there done that.) There is a LOT more to a rifle than just group sizes. After you get your eyes opened about what they really are, the ass whipping isnt over becuase you will be lucky to get 1/2 of your money back when you try to sell it.

You could jump into the NW group buy and buy a remi trued action for $550+-, good aftermaket barrel, timney 510, and stock of your choice. Could build yourself a killer stick for $1300. Just my .02 but it will be a much nicer gun than a stock factory, and you will allready be upgraded. Then shoot the piss outa it. ...:)

My thoughts are to keep this first rifle as low cost as possible. However... I don't want to waste money. If I can spend an extra $100-$300 to keep from having to spend way more down the road I'm happy. What I don't want to do though is wait until 2 yrs down the road before I can afford this perfect rifle that I won't be able to shoot worth a crap.

Is the Howa barreled action something I will want replaced down the road? Is the Tikka going to give me the ability to upgrade it? Will I even have to?

Here is kind of what I'm thinking... Get LEG HOG TGT MSTR 308 FLTD GRN $692.00 SHIPS FREE

Shoot the crap out of it. When I am able purchase a very nice piece of glass (up to $1500) Down the road purchase a remington trued action with a top notch barrel and throw it in the AICS stock.

Any thoughts?

My post is pending approval because of the link. In the meantime. I'm thinking of going with the Howa Targetmaster rifle scope combo. Get on the range and get to work before I perfect every piece of the rifle. First upgrade after that will be a really nice optic. I figure the one it comes with will get me on the range and even a deer or two this year. Plus the whole thing is less than $800. So I feel like if I can do that shoot it for 6 months and up grade the optic etc I should be in good shape. Does this seem like a good plan?

This will be a hunting rifle and a target rifle.

You really can't have both, issue being is hunting (sporter) barrels are lightweight, 1 shot 1 kill. Sporter barrels can't take the heat of multiple shots fired in succession as in paper/steel punching. If you are leaning towards target, you should get a heavy "varmint" type barrel. Bull barrels are much more resistant to elevated barrel heat. You certainly can use a sporter barrel for target, but you need to take frequent breaks to let the barrel cool down. You also probably don't want to be lugging a heavy bull barrel target rifle through the woods for hunting either. I went with a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .308, got it from Bass Pro for $580 net cost after Rem's $50 rebate promo. LOVE the Rem, i'm a newer precision shooter so my sps is way more accurate than I will ever be for the foreseeable future ! My son recently picked up a basic meat and potatoes Savage 10FP in .223, and overall slightly nicer quality, more user friendly if you want to do your own rebarrels, and shoots no more or less accurate than my Remmy. Either way you go you will have an excellent starting point for a rifle. Good luck !

Last edited:
This barreled action can be had for $439 (out of stock-reserve price):

Howa Barreled Action HWB23103 308 Varmint Blue 24" $439.00 SHIPS FREE

This stock for $248 (sale price):

Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 2 Remington 700 SPS BDL Savage 10/12 Weatherby Vanguard Howa 1500 Vertical Grip 2092, 2096, 2997, 2998 & 2999

That leaves approximately $600 for the scope/base/ring combination of your choice.

And who knows, by the time the barreled action is back in stock maybe you can save up a little more to put toward glass.

Now there's a good answer!

Having said that.... You say hunting and targets... Scope choice is key here. Maybe a Vortex hs-t?

The howa will see you right as will savage,remington and most of the other brands mentioned here.

You should probably decide what its going to do more of either hunting or targets and set up for that.

Try the classified section for a decent deal.

You really can't have both

Sure you can...you just have to make compromises.

My "hunting-and-target-and-jack-of-all-trades" rifle is a Savage 260 with a 20" light varmint contour barrel in a McM A5 with CDI DBM. Sure its heavier than my 700 Mountain LSS but I don't hump the 260 up and down mountains out west, and it has less velocity than my previous 26" 260 which would put it at a disadvantage for competitions but I don't shoot comps. For banging steel, punching holes in paper, and carrying 500 yards to a treestand for deer its all I need in a single package.

My personal experience with Savage has not been good. It's very accurate, but I have had nothing but problems with it; Accutrigger is completely unreliable, bolt is sloppy and binds, doesn't eject worth a shit, pierced primers with moderate loads (still haven't figured out why). Accuracy is excellent, especially for a rifle in it's price range, but the other issues are enough that I won't buy another.

I haven't owned any of the newer Remington 700s, but have had a number of older ones (still have two). They were all excellent rifles and with just minor tuning capable of 1/2 MOA accuracy. If you can find a well maintained older 700 with low mileage, jump on it. You could probably find a nice one for under $600. Don't be afraid of a walnut stock either. They work just fine in all but the wettest environments. I still prefer the feel of wood over synthetic and they look great too.

I don't own a Tikka but I do own a Sako (basically the same thing) and it is outstanding! I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Tikka.

Last edited:
i have a savage 10 its accurate for sure, 168gr .5moa but has short throat issue that doesn't take anything above 175gr factory ammo. send it to savage, they polish the chamber, time the bolt, which now the action very smooth, but still wont take 175gr+

A few dozen years ago Bill Ruger came out in favor of the federal "assault weapon ban", which has since expired. I have not owned any Ruger products since then, and I never will. I can't imagine why anyone would. I hope the company goes out of business and the heirs go BK.

Choose a Remington or a Savage.

A few dozen years ago Bill Ruger came out in favor of the federal "assault weapon ban", which has since expired. I have not owned any Ruger products since then, and I never will. I can't imagine why anyone would. I hope the company goes out of business and the heirs go BK.

Choose a Remington or a Savage.

You do realize that Bill Ruger died, the company has done a 180 on that position and now makes some very good ARs?

I'll pose another option to you.

The Ruger American Predator in 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

The Ruger American Rifle® Predator Bolt-Action Rifle Models

The street price of this rifle is around $400 from what I can find.

As mentioned above, the Weaver GS Tactical and the Burris or weaver rings

My experience with the new American series from Ruger is the 270 I purchased several months ago. Everything about the rifle is adequate. The trigger being the best part about the entire rifle. I have a Viper 3-9x40 on it an with Federal Powershok 130s I can keep about an inch with it as 100 yards with a front rest and a rear bag. This is the hunting version of this rifle and the barrel is a pencil. For the $275 I paid for it I am very happy with the product received and it actually far exceeded my expectations. The stock is actually fairly stiff in comparison to the SPS tactical stock. Remember this is a sample size of one and my personal opinion.

The Predator has a thicker barrel and comes threaded from the factory. The magazines are nothing special but they work nicely, or at least my 270 magazines do.

This might be a good option to keep the rifle cost lower and spend a larger percentage of you funds on a better optics.

You'll be very happy you have a high end optic on a cheap rifle than a cheap optic on a high end rifle.

Good luck with your rifle build.

My second suggestion is be patient and browse the for sale section. Lots of great deals in there if you keep an eye out. Also, put up a want to buy ad, people might come to you with something to sell that meets your needs.

Matt

There is some good stuff in the for sale section at the moment. I remember seeing two 243's that were damn fine deals. One in a b&c medalist, scope, the whole bit. Sounds like the right deal for you to me maybe