• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My GAP rifle was backed over by a truck!

AMTeam4

O317
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2011
Kansas City
stores.hogsaddle.com
GA Precision built me a .308 rifle from a Surgeon action, AICS 2.0 stock and Bartlein 24" barrel. Topped off with a USO SN-3 T-Pal scope and Badger rings. This is my dream rifle I bought for myself when I left the Marine Corps in '08.
Last weekend I went out to the desert with some scout snipers I deployed with a few years ago. We got in late, shot a little and set up camp before dark. Around 2200 my buddy decided to back his truck closer to the fire. Apparently my dirty dragbag blended in a little too well and he completely ran over the barrel end of the bag. The rifle looked OK after inspection but I dreaded for morning to reconfirm my zero.
When the sun came up I set up to re-zero and was thinking up a way I could explain this accident to George at GAP. To my amazement I drilled a 3/8" group dead center in the pastie. For the rest of the day my rifle decimated beer bottles at 525yds and killed several propane tanks at 1000yds.

I'm telling this story as a testimonial to the craftsmanship and ruggedness of GA Precision, Surgeon Actions, US Optics and Badger rings. By no means is this a light rifle (18lbs) but I had this rifle built to be a tank. I can't think of much worse punishment.

This forum helped me when I was deciding how to construct my rifle build so I hope this helps others here who are looking for build information.

Re: My GAP rifle was backed over by a truck!

That's sweet, the rifle still working that is. I can't wait till mine and my brothers get in. It's reassuring to know they are capable of surviving some of the most unfortunate situations. Especially since we sold all our other rifles...

that's a great story but i personally would use targets a little easier to clean up than glass bottles.

The scope could have taken it too, I ran my rifle over in a soft case right across the wrist of the stock, bolt knob and scope (USO 5-25 TPal).
Bolt handle was the only casualty, and AZ Precision had me back up in no time!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did it shoot that well before it was run over? </div></div>

Thats what I was thinking.

The Rifle has always shot amazingly. I would have taken this rifle to Iraq any day over my M40A3. It loves Federal GM 175gr. The Bartlein barrel hardly fowls after a day at the range.

I hope you cleaned up after yourselves. I hate seeing the litter left behind in the desert by dumbass morons who don't have the sense or decency to clean up after themselves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMTeam4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, we policed up our area. Our spot was definitely left in better shape than how we found it. </div></div>

Thanks bud. Glad your rifle's shooting lights out and forgive me for presuming the worst - dick move on my part.

Good to hear. I'm not not quite sure how you shot it the next day. I would have still been in shock.

There is one problem with GAP Rifles and US Optics scopes.....

THEY SEEM TO ATTRACT TRUCKS TO RUN THEM OVER LOL. This has to be about the 3rd or 4th time I have heard this happening here on the hide
laugh.gif

Its not easy treating a rifle like a rifle when that "rifle" cost over $6k. I would be lying if I said I didn't somewhat baby the hell out of this rifle.
So, for the guys with the ultimate builds who have a better track record in the negligence department than I do. At least you know your rigs potential through another person's expense. I wouldn't recommend an independent test to recreate/verify my results. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is one problem with GAP Rifles and US Optics scopes.....

THEY SEEM TO ATTRACT TRUCKS TO RUN THEM OVER LOL. This has to be about the 3rd or 4th time I have heard this happening here on the hide
laugh.gif
</div></div>

That's hilarious. I would love to hear from those other 2 or 3 out there.

Leave it to bunch of Marines to do something like that ... and thats why Im damn proud to be one. Great story that rifle definatly earned its salt with that. Semper Fi

if that would of happen to me I would of shat my pants!

I'm impressed to say the least. I bet your buddy felt worst about it than you did. Thanks for you and your buddies going over there and kicking ass!!!!

getting run over by a truck is part of our standard break in procedure. Did you get the green sheet of paper with your rifle?

Wow, quite a story. Your friend must have felt really bad about it.

Reminds me of the old story....

"Leave a Marine in a padded room with only 2 ball bearings....
He will lose one and break the other!"

Glad to hear the GAP survived but I'll still baby my "Rock"....what do you guys have planned for your next outing ? HA!