• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Next Action: Defiance vs. Impact vs. Curtis

I’ve been getting rid of my Defiance actions and going all Impact. Thier actions and barrels are cut to the closest tolerances possible. It crazy how they have made something available to us that the best gunsmiths can’t rival.

Nothing special.

Kelblys has been doing this since the 90's.

Reactions: b6graham
Defiance (and many other) action manufacturers have actions that can have pre-fit barrels attached. CNC machining allows for repeatably tight tolerances with properly maintained machines and cutting tools. This is not unique to Impact.
I think the difference is I can go on a handful of websites and order a prefit impact barrel right now... If I go searching for a defiance, Kelby, etc prefit... Nothing.

It may not be unique but the availability plays a huge factor in what action to choose.

I actually have had all three of these, and I like the Impact the best. I sold my Curtis actions, they were ok, not bad just not as smooth as my Defiances or Impacts.

I think the difference is I can go on a handful of websites and order a prefit impact barrel right now... If I go searching for a defiance, Kelby, etc prefit... Nothing.

It may not be unique but the availability plays a huge factor in what action to choose.

Sure, if you need a barrel ASAP.

I usually only have to wait a couple of weeks to get my gunsmith to spin me up a barrel.

Sure, if you need a barrel ASAP.

I usually only have to wait a couple of weeks to get my gunsmith to spin me up a barrel.
Prefits are generally cheaper, in fairness. At least in my limited experience.

You need some help with Google, the first few have them actually in stock:

https://jaoutdoors.com/product/ruckus-7mm-rem-mag-pre-fit/ (check the 24in 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC, etc)
http://www.bugholes.com/category-s/2041.htm (where I buy all mine)

There's a lot more, that's just the first few I found when I searched for "defiance prefit" on Google. It's ok to have opinions, but I would suggest validating your assertions before making them. It's not fair to manufacturers to negatively portray them without basis. There's plenty of factual things to bring up in a comparison; there's no need to invent issues that don't exist.

Speaking of, it's important to differentiate the Ruckus/Anti/AntiX from the Deviant. The whole "reliability" thing comes up a lot on the hide re: Impact - and it truly is a very reliable action. The whole Defiance binds up with "moon dust" thing comes up a lot, too, which is most certainly true of Deviants. I and a lot of other people use the newer actions like the Ruckus in challenging situations, and do not have reliability issues as the clearances are now large enough to accommodate some grit and grime without issue. I just bring it up, because it is important/imperative to recognize the differences in these models.

I have Impacts and Defiances and I like them both for a lot of different reasons. I lean a little more towards my current Defiance actions, but if I was PRS only and only bought in-stock actions, I might lean more towards Impact 737s (or LP Fuzion for that matter/Terminus Zeus/etc). With the ability to customize just about everything, Defiance is who gets my money. They're all great actions at this level, though.

Last edited:
Proof barrels, preferred barrel blanks, etc. lol 😆😆

All barrels not worth buying for a serious shooter.

And SJA... if I order today, it will not ship tomorrow... They do good stuff but it will take weeks to arrives. Bug holes, 8-12 weeks.

I'm not negatively portraying anyone... But I'm also being honest on *good* availability. No serious shooter is going to choose any of those above barrels over, say, the Wisconsin dozen with proven match records.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
Great, looking to get one for my first build.

The Wisconsin dozen?

Bartlein, Brux, Krieger, Rock Creek, Criterion, Broughton, Obermeyer (I think he retired and sold to one of the other manufacturers), etc. Wisconsin has a long history in barrel making (WWII).
You can buy a prefit for multiple Defiance actions from StraightJacket Armory with Rock Creek blanks.

Yes, you can order from Stuteville directly and that's great and all but you are exaggerating that you cannot get a prefit or even a shouldered barrel for a Defiance with one of these makes. Yes, you can order from Altus but I can do that with a Defiance action as well so what really is the difference there?

Stuteville's also out of stock of 6GT prefits by the way, so how long am I going to wait on one? Probably the same time or more then getting a shouldered or prefit barrel ordered from LRI. It's a silly argument to try to make really.

Defiance (and many other) action manufacturers have actions that can have pre-fit barrels attached. CNC machining allows for repeatably tight tolerances with properly maintained machines and cutting tools. This is not unique to Impact.
I know there are others. I understand someone else preferring one brand over the other, Ford vs Chevy. It is my opinion that Impact has the best CNC equipment money can buy and have an operator, Wade Stuteville, that brings a level of precision that is hard to match. I do not know Wade. This definitely isn’t a friend trying to build up a friend. I’m just someone looking for my best value & am open to learning from you and others.

Maybe there is a good reason Defiance actions aren’t all held to such close tolerances that you can build shouldered pre-fit off of all thier actions. My guess is that they need to update thier equipment. If you know I would appreciate you passing it on. I acknowledge I don’t know much. My preference for Impact stems from hands on seeing how close there tolerances are. I especially like the chamber work With the close tolerances.

The blessing that we are receiving from the all the manufacturers that hold thier tolerances so close is eliminating the potential wait time of sending your rifle off to be rebarreled.

Pic below is off a Defiance Deviant Hunter which I definitely won’t get rid off. It’s an XM size that allows me to load 65 PRC up to 3.2” maximizing efficiency from that cartridge. Defiance offers a lot of options.

Attachments

• 6E50B76E-BF90-4821-B74C-BF4EBE7CA562.jpeg
    6E50B76E-BF90-4821-B74C-BF4EBE7CA562.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I know there are others. I understand someone else preferring one brand over the other, Ford vs Chevy. It is my opinion that Impact has the best CNC equipment money can buy and have an operator, Wade Stuteville, that brings a level of precision that is hard to match. I do not know Wade. This definitely isn’t a friend trying to build up a friend. I’m just someone looking for my best value & am open to learning from you and others.

Maybe there is a good reason Defiance actions aren’t all held to such close tolerances that you can build shouldered pre-fit off of all thier actions. My guess is that they need to update thier equipment. If you know I would appreciate you passing it on. I acknowledge I don’t know much. My preference for Impact stems from hands on seeing how close there tolerances are. I especially like the chamber work With the close tolerances.

The blessing that we are receiving from the all the manufacturers that hold thier tolerances so close is eliminating the potential wait time of sending your rifle off to be rebarreled.

Pic below is off a Defiance Deviant Hunter which I definitely won’t get rid off. It’s an XM size that allows me to load 65 PRC up to 3.2” maximizing efficiency from that cartridge. Defiance offers a lot of options.
If you read other comments above you will see why not all defiance actions can take prefits and it has nothing to do with being better equipment. Just like with an impact the ones they take prefits for defiance don't let you change options for things that change the headspace. The actions for defiance that can't take prefits have so many options that change those variables that they can't just say well here's a deviant print to spin a barrel up off of. I don't say this in defense of defiance since the 1 action of theirs I have im not overly impressed with but facts are facts. What impact does almost all the major "custom" action makers do as far as headspace ands being able to take prefits. Hell my $700 bighorn origin does that and I can go order a shouldered prefit today for it if I want.

I appreciate that you are upfront about it being your opinion! As the other poster responded, and as I initially stated, Defiance does not build all of their actions the same way. The Ruckus, Anti, AntiX, and Tenacity were all designed to allow for pre-fit barrels, and are held the machining standards necessary for this. It’s not a matter of equipment, but about design. They all have one-piece bolts. https://defiancemachine.com/actions/

You can hold tolerances +-0.001” relatively easily, with standard machining on a reasonably setup mill or lathe, good tooling, and proper speeds and feeds for the material and machine at hand. That wasn’t ever the limiting factor. It’s tolerance stacking with their previous designs and customization options.

The difference between most go and no-go gauges is something like 0.0035-0.006”, to put that into perspective.

I don’t know if you’re interest in metrology, but if you have the equipment necessary, you should check the measurements of the actions in question against the prints (if you can find them), or at least against other like actions. I think the results would surprise you. All of these top-tier action makers are putting out really good stuff at this point, which is why you really can’t go wrong with an Impact, LP, Terminus, Defiance, etc. It’s more about aesthetics and features at these price points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynn313
Proof barrels, preferred barrel blanks, etc. lol 😆😆

All barrels not worth buying for a serious shooter.

And SJA... if I order today, it will not ship tomorrow... They do good stuff but it will take weeks to arrives. Bug holes, 8-12 weeks.

I'm not negatively portraying anyone... But I'm also being honest on *good* availability. No serious shooter is going to choose any of those above barrels over, say, the Wisconsin dozen with proven match records.
I’m not going to sit and argue with you on this one, but you should realize you’re on a PRS website, and now you’re talking about serious shooters. I think you’re confused; this isn’t accurateshooter. Moving goalposts just because you were wrong just makes you look foolish, I just grabbed the first half dozen results out of the exact search you tossed at me.

If you require BR accuracy, you’re not buying any pre-fit cut with a SAAMI chamber as @kthomas so clearly pointed out. How much of a “serious shooter” are you to think otherwise? How many of your impact prefits are shooting into the .1s and .2s? Slippery slope.

Reactions: frost1235
Looks like a thread raised from the dead. But if you're buying prefits, you're making an excellent decision. Sure, you can get even more exact to your specific load, but very few people (relatively) actually need that or even do that. You can fire form your brass and find the lands and do all that reloading mumbo jumbo with a prefit just fine. And you'll clean stages in PRS at 1,000 yards like everyone else. Or you can fire factory match ammo and clean the stage, too. 90% of the misses come from not shooting at the target in consideration of wind, etc., not your $800 5-month wait barrel cut to your specific specifications.

I’m not going to sit and argue with you on this one, but you should realize you’re on a PRS website, and now you’re talking about serious shooters. I think you’re confused; this isn’t accurateshooter. Moving goalposts just because you were wrong just makes you look foolish, I just grabbed the first half dozen results out of the exact search you tossed at me.

If you require BR accuracy, you’re not buying any pre-fit cut with a SAAMI chamber as @kthomas so clearly pointed out. How much of a “serious shooter” are you to think otherwise? How many of your impact prefits are shooting into the .1s and .2s? Slippery slope.
I truly dont know what you’ll are discussing about barrels. This is strictly a response to you asking if anyone has ever seen a .1 or .2 group with an impact prefit. The pics are of a “10 shot group“ on a bipod & Caldwell rear bag. I was shooting fairly fast as it was cold. It was just a mag dump for break-in. These are break-in loads with no load development + I would imagine most of you shoot better than me. I’m just an old man who enjoys shooting. Just posting so that you can see a pre-fit is very capable of what you said. No disrespect & send you best wishes. I think we are in a wonderful era with multiple good choices today. The best thing is I don’t have to send my rifle to a gunsmith for a new barrel.

Attachments

• D822F38A-C208-423A-937F-8F803D01EE02.jpeg
    D822F38A-C208-423A-937F-8F803D01EE02.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 4732C669-AC9D-4E7C-B012-3A81E9DA6E41.jpeg
    4732C669-AC9D-4E7C-B012-3A81E9DA6E41.jpeg
    870.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 22689FD7-8D62-470F-98A4-69D68F27FFEC.jpeg
    22689FD7-8D62-470F-98A4-69D68F27FFEC.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 146
  • DDDA6D12-E0FD-4F6A-B244-19C48DBA5F65.jpeg
    DDDA6D12-E0FD-4F6A-B244-19C48DBA5F65.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: ormandj
I truly dont know what you’ll are discussing about barrels. This is strictly a response to you asking if anyone has ever seen a .1 or .2 group with an impact prefit. The pics are of a “10 shot group“ on a bipod & Caldwell rear bag. I was shooting fairly fast as it was cold. It was just a mag dump for break-in. These are break-in loads with no load development + I would imagine most of you shoot better than me. I’m just an old man who enjoys shooting. Just posting so that you can see a pre-fit is very capable of what you said. No disrespect & send you best wishes. I think we are in a wonderful era with multiple good choices today. The best thing is I don’t have to send my rifle to a gunsmith for a new barrel.
That’s a pretty wild 10 shot rapid fire group with no load development. There are very few people I’ve seen that can produce ten shot groups like that even with meticulous load development at a reasonable pace, much less untuned loads doing a magdump. So kudos to you; you’re way underselling yourself as a shooter. I very rarely see anything under .4 5-shot groups on this site.

When we talk about prefit barrels, we’re really just saying barrels with headspacing that falls within specification without custom fitting. If you’ve got an off-the-shelf prefit run from a SAAMI reamer/standard throating/neck/etc, printing rapid fire groups like that with random handloads during break in, no less, all the pieces really fell into perfect place for you and you’re a great shooter. I certainly can’t argue against those results, that’s very impressive. I use prefits, effectively, but cut with my own reamer specifications.

My 737r w/ M24 prefit (SAAMI 6.5CM reamer - only one I have cut with a SAAMI reamer) wouldn’t shoot like that with random handloads, and would likely more often than not hang with that 10 shot group even with well-tuned loads, and definitely not rapid fire. I’d be terrified to compete against you if you had well-tuned ammunition and had a reamer setup optimally for your brass and bullets.

Good call on the B’n’A trigger.

Last edited:
Looks like a thread raised from the dead. But if you're buying prefits, you're making an excellent decision. Sure, you can get even more exact to your specific load, but very few people (relatively) actually need that or even do that. You can fire form your brass and find the lands and do all that reloading mumbo jumbo with a prefit just fine. And you'll clean stages in PRS at 1,000 yards like everyone else. Or you can fire factory match ammo and clean the stage, too. 90% of the misses come from not shooting at the target in consideration of wind, etc., not your $800 5-month wait barrel cut to your specific specifications.
If we’re talking PRS, I 100% agree. There’s no reason to go full custom to shoot steel. I’d argue it’s more likely 99% of the misses.

So did you just admit that none of those websites have pre-fits ready to ship? Because, they don't. You wait weeks. I didn't look foolish in that response as you did with your google-foo.

And again, I don't see proofs and preferred barrel blanks (haha) winning PRS matches.

I am no competition shooter nor get out these days like I used to and hunt or target shoot. I have had or built off just about every action that has come out in the last 20 years. I have to say I am a Bat and Kelbly fan boy. I have had a lot of rifles built over the years and have been more than pleased with all the actions I have used from these 2 manufactures. Everybody is going to have their own opinion of likes and dislikes on custom actions. Both companies I use in actions have been great to work with over the years. Hell 0ver 90 percent of these actions did not exist. I have been to Kelblys several times to pick up a rifle. Kelblys was then and still now the best people I have ever dealt with hands down. Their products and customer service is the absolute best in the business.

I am in the market for building my first custom rifle and need some ideas on what to buy. I don’t have any preferences currently and just want to hear some opinions on the best action, thanks! wendy's lunch time surveyzop.com

Last edited:
I am in the market for building my first custom rifle and need some ideas on what to buy. I don’t have any preferences currently and just want to hear some opinions on the best action, thanks!
Best for what? What is the rifle going to be used for? Comp, hunting, plinking, etc?
What chamber? Action length? Right or left hand? Material (Ti, CS, SS)? Finish (Nitride/DLC)? Does weight matter? Controlled round feed? Ejector preference? 90*, 60*, or something in between? Machined in rail and lug or do you prefer hybrid rings? Single feed, Bdl, or dbm. Prefit barrels of interest?

Reactions: gnochi
I am in the market for building my first custom rifle and need some ideas on what to buy. I don’t have any preferences currently and just want to hear some opinions on the best action, thanks! wendy's lunch time surveyzop.com
For the price/value ratio the ARC Coup De Grace is the best bet. It’ll cover any scenario pretty much and it’s actually an engineered design versus a dead brained clone with someone else’s branding / macho name.

Disclosure: I own a ARC Nucleus and it’s good enough that I don’t want to dump it for anything else but I wouldn’t say it’s perfect.

Hey y'all, greetings from the Great White North!

Let me set the story. I set my Rem700 5R Gen 2 6.5CM barrelled action into an MDT ACC chassis and it has been performing just fine, accuracy-wise. Practiced lots with it for about a year, and entered my first PRS-style competition up here this past summer during the COVID let-down up here (before the fall spike).
The one thing I noticed is that the action is not all that smooth (compared to customs, obviously), and I did have some issues with feeding from the AICS mags at times that cost me completing a few stages in the PAR time allotted. This pissed me off to no end. So I've been fiddling with it, and have decided to say "to hell with it" and build a new action/barrel combo to go into the chassis I already have.

So, I "think" I've narrowed it down to the three named actions and have read every thread I could get my hands on here. However, I haven't felt any of these actions in person and haven't cycled them. I don't even think there is anywhere near me to do so.

With that said, here are the three I'm leaning toward, in no particular order:

Impact 737
Defiance Deviant (or maybe Tenacity)
Curtis Valor

I've looked at the Terminus Zeus also, but it's pretty close to the Curtis Valor (given the shared history of those two brands, not sure which to go with).

My main requirements are:
  • Must fit in my MDT ACC R700 SA chassis without any other fitment/inletting
  • Butter smooth feel
  • Must feed flawlessly
  • Must have pre-fit barrels available for DIY barrel changes
  • Good support by good people that stand behind their product
Probably can't go wrong on any of these, but just wanted to throw that out there. I'm also somewhat limited to which action brands are available here in Canada, but any thoughts or pro's & cons would be helpful.
I had Defiance build me a rifle when Badrock Rifles were available. The action is based in a lot of ways on the Deviant Elite with some cost cutting changes, but none in the actual workings. Read this and the look at the Elite's specifications at their site. It is super smooth, uses controlled feed (great) and with a Winchester type extraction leaf system. The barrel was chambered with a cone. Look at the front of the bolt's lug faces: they are angled to fit that cone. The probably precludes a lot of DIY prefits.

I you have never used that extraction system it can be tricky. Most all of us grew up with an action that has a spring loaded plunger in the face of the bolt (Rem 700). That is much more positive than the leaf extraction because when you pull the bolt back the plunger triggers to force positive extraction. The leaf extraction depends on how fast/hard you pull the bolt back to throw the case out, or not.

That said there is a potential drawback with that plunger system too because the plunger pressure coming from the left side of the bolt face can affect how the bullet lines up in the chamber (bullet tip pushed slightly right). For example, in the ultimate precision game which is benchrest, the actions are single feed with no plungers.

Oh. and I have never had any issues using multiple magazines with the Deviant based action I own. They all feed flawlessly.

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
Ain’t no one buying a Defiance at retail in 2023.
I don't know what they are paying but someone is buying them. I called a couple weeks ago to order one and they are over a year behind on production.

I don't know what they are paying but someone is buying them. I called a couple weeks ago to order one and they are over a year behind on production.
Last year they were 16 months behind. Then they raised the prices and opened the books saying they were only 3-4 months backlogged. Now a year? Whatever.

Ive got several different actions.Ive got a Defiance, Impact Precision ,Savage 110,DSavage 112, Stiller TAC 338,Stiller Tac Driver, and Stiller Predator( Pre 2005) Stiller Scout, Remimgton 700, Curtis. BAT.
And of all these my favorite is my Stiller Tac Driver and Impact Precision. Never did care for the Curtis after I got it.
I never had it but the only issue Ive heard of Stiller was when they had a whole Batch of bad Extractors. I never saw it but head about it.Im also like my Savage 110 in my 300 PRC. Its been great shooter out to 2900 yards.