• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My project rifle is half way there....

shawscar17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2012
Ventura Ca
Okay so I got into long range shooting last summer and man is it addicting and so much fun. I told my wife I should have started shooting up heroin because that would have been cheaper. So I bought a remington 700 sps varmint in a 308.

photo1-1_zps809fc76d.jpg

photo2-1_zps38b38ae1.jpg

Just your basic great rifle, them I went out and bought a Timney trigger, lueopld mark 4 er/t 6.5-20X50mm FFP M5 turrets mil-mil, 20 moa rail, mark 4 rings, vortex cant level, holland radial muzzle brake, badger tac knob, and the crown jewel is a bartlien barrel with a m24 contour 1-11 twist rate. I dropped it off at the gunsmith and he put in his oversized recoil lug and this is what I have now....

photo10_zps24d00d79.jpg

photo1-7_zpsf9fa64ab.jpg

Now I know what your thinking, you can't upgrade all that and then put it into a stock stock.... well I have ordered a Manners t4a stock but it will not be here until april... Also if you picked up on it I that is a AICS 5 round mag at the base of my rifle on the last picture and that goes with my badger bottom metal. I can barely contain myself, I hate having this rifle sitting here and I can shoot it. Well I just thought I would share and I will post pictures of my rifle when it is all done. THanks for looking and happy shooting!

Also I have a couple more pictures that I will post they only allow 4 pictures..

Haha I feel your pain. My rifle is getting rebarreled so I have everything but a barreled action sitting around. I like your set up though. Well, minus that fire poker stock ;)

I'd say your pretty stocked up on upgrades. Looks great! I know the wait for the stock must be killing you.

Still need to get my first bolt gun.

I was going to do about the same as you did, sps-v and upgrade everything whenever the money got in (only preferred the AICS over the more traditional stocks).
But I just couldn't resist informing about an AI AE. Here (Europe), it would take 6-8 months to get it, so I had a dilemma, hold of on my purchase and sit out those 8 months whilst saving up for it, or just get the remmy now and upgrade it down the road.
I decided to go with the AI, but man, I can't stand the wait! Still have about 2 more months to go (and will be instantly broke when I do get it).

I hear you man, I know how you feel about waiting for custom items. Its plan torture. when I started out with this build I bought the rifle and budgeted for all the upgrades so that I could have a rifle for a lifetime... Good luck with your build man, I would love to see some pictures when its all done.
I'd say your pretty stocked up on upgrades. Looks great! I know the wait for the stock must be killing you.

Still need to get my first bolt gun.

I was going to do about the same as you did, sps-v and upgrade everything whenever the money got in (only preferred the AICS over the more traditional stocks).
But I just couldn't resist informing about an AI AE. Here (Europe), it would take 6-8 months to get it, so I had a dilemma, hold of on my purchase and sit out those 8 months whilst saving up for it, or just get the remmy now and upgrade it down the road.
I decided to go with the AI, but man, I can't stand the wait! Still have about 2 more months to go (and will be instantly broke when I do get it).

Haha I feel your pain. My rifle is getting rebarreled so I have everything but a barreled action sitting around. I like your set up though. Well, minus that fire poker stock ;)

Thanks man! I will be over before you know it and you will be shooting before I am :) would love to see a picture of your rifle when its done,

Nice build. I went with a T4A as well. Mine won't be ready until late March or early April, the wait is killing me. What color did you go with? I went with forest.

Thanks man! I will be over before you know it and you will be shooting before I am :) would love to see a picture of your rifle when its done,

Oh I will post some pics of her when she's put back together. Might be a couple months though. I picked up one of Manners' 'ready to ship' stocks and had it in 5 days.

Very nice stock! I went with there midnight camp molded in... I think and hope it will look good. I am expecting my stock also at about that time, good times.
Nice build. I went with a T4A as well. Mine won't be ready until late March or early April, the wait is killing me. What color did you go with? I went with forest.

Yes, I forgot, I had a gunsmith true the action, he lapped the bolt lugs and trued the face of the bolt as well. All square to the true center line of the action. I cant wait to shoot it. He also replaced the recoil lug with a heavy duty lug that is perfectly square on all sides as well. The crazy part was I went over there after he threaded the barrel and trued the action but before he cut the chamber. I put all the action, recoil lug, and barrel all together and hand tightened them to get a look at it. When all things are square the friction holding them together was crazy with just hand tightening. Had to use a barrel vise to get it off... Highly recommend using a great smith.
Very nice setup so far. Did you have your gunsmith true up the action while he was at it?