• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Question to you, video thoughts

Aside from Mazerblade using me for his spank bank,

This has actually helped a bunch, I can see how it appears to be wandering and not necessarily in a straight line

I was playing with an intro / edit and seeing how I just want to drop clips in vs telling the story upfront is evident now.

I have series of clips that are often not connected I use out of convenience, it needs to be pre determined. I usually have a very loose shooting style, no real plan, just a rough idea goin in, but instead I should story board parts of it better to tell the story then use the rest as filler vs using a series of filler to make a video

So a bit more of a plan, editing in more logical order, and creating a more defined beginning middle and end, vs having an empty opening and then just going off the cuff is what I see
And as mentioned above, a better index so we can locate specific videos more easily w/o having to sort through every one. AlexJ did a nice job on reworking the site, she could likely do that easily.

I'm thinking it may be as simple as changing up your targets. Instead of shooting steel, shoot something that people would enjoy seen being shot. Examples, a can or bottle of bud lite, or a purple haired troll. Also ad a slow motion camera to catch the damage to the target.
You don't have to change anything about your format, it's perfect. Actually it would be perfect for this type of video. A serious discussion on how to hit a target at 4 hundred yards and then you show your shot hitting a really cool target.
Also the title should read something like ( shooting a troll at 400 meters). Have a picture of the target on the thumbnail.

I think your training videos are excellent.

What is a bit confusing is the order in which one should proceed through them, as others have mentioned. No syllabus

If you want to make super-short vids (relatively speaking) in addition to the long vids then cut out the talking and just show, don’t tell. Think of the IKEA directions of precision rifle instruction.

This following technique is both for the impatient and for a reminder/refresher course for those who have watched the in-depth vids but are rusty.

Pardon, I couldn’t find a manly example, but here is one of the gayest examples (iPhone case dyeing etc).

I’m sure you can see what I’m getting at.

I couldn’t figure out exactly the best way to search for examples of what I’m describing.

I used this search phrase to find it in google: show don't tell diy videos -writing

I didn’t find many videos, but I’ve seen a bunch of them on manly subjects, usually by non-English speakers.

Also, what is very powerful is showing the wrong way to do a thing, followed by the right way. Don’t discount that technique either, especially in the no-talking vids.

Reactions: XP1K
You can not put the training videos in order,
They are moved by interaction and order of viewing, if you comment on a video it gets moved, even stickying them will still change the order

I am using a system not designed to be formatted to format a lesson program

We have more options now, but I am basically just adding the lessons to the forum, just like in the Bear Pit when you interact it moves the order of things around

You can not put the training videos in order,
They are moved by interaction and order of viewing, if you comment on a video it gets moved, even stickying them will still change the order

I am using a system not designed to be formatted to format a lesson program

We have more options now, but I am basically just adding the lessons to the forum, just like in the Bear Pit when you interact it moves the order of things around
Can you make a post listing your suggested order and pin it at the top? That would suffice for a syllabus.

Reactions: Baron23
there was viewing order posts I am sure they are there, we used to have a static post with list of the lessons

I have not looked but once I start over with the lessons I will try to arrange them in a new way it might mean I have to get creative with how I write them

I Would have to make a Post,

Fundamentals, then in the sticky fundamental post you would have to add in the lesson videos, but nobody can comment until they are all up , otherwise they will be mixed in like any other big thread

So I can do a Post with response lessons to block things together but really the forum is not designed to keep a specific format that way

Just so we’re clear, don’t get rid of the long vids! I’m just responding to your query about short vids.

In my mind’s-eye I’m envisioning a faster paced vid, almost ad-like, with text that points out what you’re doing. Like a cliff-notes version, or movie trailer, almost, with the already existing longer instructional version as the “movie.”

If you’d like, you could add short bits of talking interspersed with instructional text on the screen that is done in an interesting way. This dude shows how you could actually make an interesting video on anything. Like on…toast:

You can go far with interesting text, music, and still pics with arrows pointing out things.

Sound, especially music, and tight tight editing is what will make videos like this work. I wasn’t bored for a sec on the fake toast documentary lol

=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=

Switching gears, just for fun, I always laugh at this YT channel called Knob Feel. He doesn’t talk, it’s about how gear knobs feel to the hand (haptics). Not directly applicable to the task but you can see how he communicates with just ooohh’s and aaaahhh’s:

I always remember when I shopped for hi-fi equipment back in the day, the first fucking thing I did was to spin the receiver’s channel dial lol. Heavy, damped feel = quality.

Ya it's mainly for the short form stuff,

The lessons I have no issue with, it's my public, shorter form, you can see the engagements drop over time even though I have a ton of subscribers.

I think I got what I need, it's a change in how I do things, but it's really not any different, its just being more thoughtful on the front end vs just taking any old footage and dropping it in

the weather is absolute shit here in Colorado and I have to make a quick trip this weekend to Kansas, but once I have a free two days I can do the first part of this and see how it comes out

Cool.

I think the shorter stuff might be harder to do than the longer-form vids. Boiling something down to its utter essence (minimal talking) while holding people’s attention is tough.

For example, a short and engaging music video is harder to make than placid talking-head documentary, I feel.

You almost certainly already know this stuff anyway…you’ve made tons of vids.

Good luck, Frank! You have an awesome site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lowlight
I've only ever watched your videos on you-tube... and found them interesting and well done. The reason that I no longer watch them is because of interactions that you would have with people in the comment section.... a person would ask a dumb (or beginner) question and you would reply with something like "if you don't know that then you need to find a new hobby". Not a harsh reply- but kind of off-putting (and would be much easier to just not reply at all). There's a lot of channels with good info (lots more without it)- so little things make a big difference. If I can get the same info from 2 different sources then I'm going to go with the one not insulting people in the comments.

* This is not meant as a trying to get under your skin or pick a fight- but honest feedback on why I don't watch your videos.

@Lowlight

Hi Frank - again, I may not have the best insight into what younger, newer shooters would like to watch, but I have thought about this further.

I absolutely agree with the point made by another member above to ditch the long, unrelated intro section. The RRS one you posted above went 1:25 before actual related content started. The GAP...for me, 1:08. Many shooting vids have even longer unrelated intros than you, with their fav music running full blast (which I might actually fucking hate), and I often will quickly stop them and not watch.

And as you noted above, and I agree....watching someone just shoot is boring as fuck. All types of shooting are awful as a spectator sport. Unless you are demo'ing something specific or your shooting results were directly related to the subject of the vid, I'd suggest cutting that way back.

As for humor, etc....ok, I'm still of the opinion that jokes, snark, and the like are not something I would like to see in your vids cause its just filler and I'm looking for info.

I've attended two of your clinics and we were all out to dinner and drinks together night after night. You actually have a very lively, funny, and friendly personality when face to face (I know, hard to believe from reading some of your scorching posts on the forum! :unsure:;) :ROFLMAO: ). I think if you bring more of that flavor, it will lighten up your vids and make them more accessible to the public at large. I think in your RRS vid above you absolutely did that. I think in the GAP 6GT one, you did not.

You asked us to critique the GAP 6GT vid so here it is.

As I mentioned, the personality in your delivery was on the dry side. TBH, I didn't care for the vid. You say you're going to discuss the "Anatomy of a Competition (or PRS) Rifle". But, to me, it just seemed like a advertisement for GAP and this specific commercial offering.

In general, that turns me off and undermines any confidence I have in the info being presented. There really was no critique of the rifle...it was just "perfect" as is. Really? For example, I too cannot palm a basketball and whenever I look at these Manners (or other company) stocks, I look hard at the distance from the grip front strap to the trigger shoe. I personally would have liked to hear you talk about that a bit...critique it. Looks to me that you had to stretch a bit to reach the trigger.

And, if these are for attracting the public at large, I suggest you to drop the jargon or explain it. E.g. "Wobble zone". And 6GT..."G for George and T for Tom"....how many people in the public know who the fuck George and Tom are...or care? In the section about the action, the "GA Precision Templar V2 action"....that's just jargon to me. And two lug vs three and which style of mag is suited to one vice the other with no explanation of why (and yes, I'm the constant "but why" guy haha)

I really would have rather heard what you like about it and what you do not like about it.

You asked for a critique and part of my former work was being a pro nitpicker....so, your nits got picked. I hope it was at least minimally helpful.

Cheers

Last edited:
And, if these are for attracting the public at large, I suggest you to drop the jargon or explain it. E.g. "Wobble zone". And 6GT..."G for George and T for Tom"....how many people in the public know who the fuck George and Tom are...or care?

I thought most people in Precision rifle or PRS certainly know who George Gardner (GAP), is, Gunsmith to the gods, formerly gunsmith to Chris Kyle, (and myself ;)); and Tom is Tom Manners. When George puts his name on something, you are looking at something likely to appreciate. Carry on.

Reactions: 101st
I thought most people in Precision rifle or PRS certainly know who George Gardner (GAP), is, Gunsmith to the gods, formerly gunsmith to Chris Kyle, (and myself ;)); and Tom is Tom Manners. When George puts his name on something, you are looking at something likely to appreciate. Carry on.
Actually, I believe the T is for Tom Jacobs of Vapor Trail bullets.

And my understanding is that Frank is looking to attract new people with public vids....not PRS or precision rifle shooters.

Garand Thumb is entertainment and fun. I really enjoy the guy, but little technical knowledge being passed along.

I could never be good at videos, Im too dry and lack charisma. You cant learn that stuff.

You have a high sweaky voice, it is made worse when you talk fast. Slow down in your delivery.

Having said that, I wouldnt worry about the content or delivery. Make the videos, then pay some young kid to edit them and spice it up for you. Let the editing make up for any character or delivery flaws.

Dont listen to these boomers for new age content. Get a hipster that you cant stand to do the editing. Im sure some college videographing student would be happy to help for peanuts and name recognition.

Showing a quick view from the back to get an idea of distance on those shots and maybe a quick windage flag to appreciate those 12mph cross winds. The transition on the silent load/contact was a bit abrupt to the music overlay on the rest. Maybe just a voice section between for transition.

Tell me you don't watch my videos without telling me,

This is boiler plate stuff, break it up, sure describe break it up... what does break up the video mean ?

I have been to cinematography classes and never heard them say break it up, LOL
It's literal.
Break the subject matter into smaller portions with *something* as an intermission....humor, scenery, whatever.

Stone truth, no one wants to watch a guy just saying whatever for 20 minutes straight....even if it's the worlds ultimate get rich today thing.
The mind will wander if not kept busy with....well.....something.

Example:
Say you're recording doing some shit at the reloading bench, cool, whatever.
The dog comes in and is being annoying.....or the old lady gives you some shit.
Film that and keep it in for entertainment value.
Then go right back as if nothing happened with perhaps a wise crack or what have you to make light of it.
Get it ?

I've watched plenty of your stuff......you should know that.....Leopard Woobie ring any bells ?

I understand you want to spread information and education.
It's an honorable thing to do, I salute you for it.
Just go at it in a lighter manner....you're a serious person and it shows.
That's not a bad thing.
But, it's not something that will hold attention.
When is the last time YOU sat down and watched a guy just talking about some singular subject......and found YOUR mind not wandering ?
It's not a good or bad thing, it's perfectly natural to be of this mind at both ends of this sort of situation.

Perhaps watch a few YouTube videos from people that have 2-3-4 million subscribed viewers and see what they are doing and how they approach it ?
That's probably the best thing.
They did something right to get all those clicks.
Right ?

Sorry if this seems long but I just started going through my own thoughts. I can say as both a student and instructor it's not easy to get technical expertise across to all in the audience.

In one of your live sessions you were speaking about how to grade shooters to place them at a certain level. If I followed the topic correctly it was basically the shooter needs to obtain and sustain a certain level of experience/performance. I want to say the topic was more about competition and matches, so think of your videos in the same manner.

Do you want to bring a shooter along the trail from apprentice to journeyman? We all want to learn, some just haven't gotten to your level since we don't have the resources at home station to get into action. Can you make your videos a key element to help the path to journeyman level shooting??

First thing that's needed is to decide who are you talking to versus what you are talking about. You and your resources already know the subject material. If an expert is trying to train novices while speaking at the expert level, no one learns anything.
You can have different levels of videos as examples: Basics, beginner/novice, sharpshooter, marksman, expert. Each series can dig deeper into the topic you are covering.
I'd suggest going along the line of a series of videos. Each segment to cover a specific aspect. Then in the last video cover the whole topic end to end. Each segment can be spoken/taught at a different level. 10 minutes is pretty short for one topic, yet adding up each segment can make it 1-3 hours of total time talking on a subject.

In the end you will have a bit of work editing the videos for use. I do think you could plan a day of video production that covers all levels of the topic. You would need a "storyboard" of sorts to plan the day. Your camera time may end up being 3-6 hours, but the topic broken down into shorter segments could be at least a dozen or so videos on the subject. Maybe even label the different segments as to the level you are speaking to (Basics, beginner/novice, sharpshooter, marksman, expert.)

Let's say you want to talk optics: for example
Basics: Cover the typical elements of the scope: parts, terms, etc etc
Novice: Cover adjustments, mounting, care, etc etc
Sharpshooter: Cover ranging, reticules, zeroing, etc etc
Marksman: Mirage, targets at longer range, reticule use for longer range, etc etc etc
Expert: Bullet trajectory, Vapor trail, bullet trace, earth effects on the bullet, etc etc etc

Just $.02....

Reactions: Maggot
Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals...

And you're the man to teach us. Use a reticle cam. Show the reticle cam with the rifle sitting by itself on the bag and bipod, perfectly lined up with the target. Then get behind the rifle incorrectly and show people how the POA changes and why manhandling it back to POA with a poor setup will still result in a miss. That would be invaluable.

Show parallax errors, etc. All of it. I see it at the range all the time. People have bad setups and blame the wind, the rifle or the ammo instead. A good consistent setup is the holy grail.

This helps, some of its funny though, and others still don’t get it or never watched one of my videos.

I have a plan, I do find it funny the intro comment being 1:00+, I never looked at it as being nothing, I see value in the demonstration as in my mind it was best practice. But having it considered part of the intro is interesting. It’s sort of the real-time demo vs the talk but I can see it. I just never considered it empty.

YT and comments, you should try to stand on my side of screen. I get a metric ton of hate messages, size, voice, rarely content but a to. Of personal attacks. Moving forward I would just turn them off. For every insult you see me post there 25 I removed about me. Even here, personal

No triggercam I hate it, think it works like shit and does nothing for the instruction but that is me. Not a fan, tried it don’t like it, mainly the device and format it uses

It’s been illuminating

This helps, some of its funny though, and others still don’t get it or never watched one of my videos.

I have a plan, I do find it funny the intro comment being 1:00+, I never looked at it as being nothing, I see value in the demonstration as in my mind it was best practice. But having it considered part of the intro is interesting. It’s sort of the real-time demo vs the talk but I can see it. I just never considered it empty.

YT and comments, you should try to stand on my side of screen. I get a metric ton of hate messages, size, voice, rarely content but a to. Of personal attacks. Moving forward I would just turn them off. For every insult you see me post there 25 I removed about me. Even here, personal

No triggercam I hate it, think it works like shit and does nothing for the instruction but that is me. Not a fan, tried it don’t like it, mainly the device and format it uses

It’s been illuminating
Keep at it, Frank. Brush ‘em off. You are making a difference.

Theodore Roosevelt’s Man in the Arena passage within his “Citizenship in a Republic” speech
Paris, France, April 23, 1910​
ABBREVIATED VERSION
"It is not the critic who counts; …(the) credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; … if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."​
My only critique (ha!) of Teddy’s idea here is it would be foolish not to heed any constructive criticism, but I think his message is dealing with more of the heckler types.

Me? When I am creating something, I key on only the critiques that resonate with me, modify my stuff, and move on.

FULL TEXT OF “Citizenship in a Republic”
https://www.theodorerooseveltcenter...dia/Culture-and-Society/Man-in-the-Arena.aspx

https://www.worldfuturefund.org/Documents/maninarena.htm

BACKGROUND
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenship_in_a_Republic

Last edited:

It’s been illuminating
What are the metric ton of hateful or negative comments about? If they all are saying the same or similar thing maybe that’s an area you can work on?

Otherwise I find your videos informative, clear and to the point. But if you are trying to gain traction in the YouTube world for example then you need to do something to stand out because there is about 500 hours of content uploaded every minute. So ask yourself “what is Frank doing that will bring people here instead of over there”. Look at successful guys like BuckinBillyRay, what makes him so successful? He is informative, positive, educational, very funny, and probably spends many hours videoing and editing.

So be yourself, or not, and people will watch you, or not.

My size and voice mainly

Not sure I could grow taller or change the pitch of my voice

It just negativity not anything specific, turning off comments would be my next move, I dislike what I read there anyways, people have no idea the level of bs come in the form of comments

I have enjoyed your video's as they are but do wonder about the inner working keebler elf tree like how long does it take to make all those cookies lol your voice is fine .

lol

That was one of my favorites,

I get, I didn't realize the Lollipop gang had snipers, or since when did Wizard of Oz stand up an Army, shit like that which normally who cares, but it craps up the feed so you remove it and then guys will dogpile more because you removed their joke

For me YT was never about interacting with the public but to host videos, I have this place to comment. So turning of the comments moving forward is probably best since it hurts people's feelings to read it

Throwing a couple pennies out here. I've only skimmed this thread so apologies if I'm repeating anyone. Here's a little formula that I've noticed many content creators are utilizing. With the goal of directing viewers from Youtube to websites or patreon, have three videos for every topic. The full video, a condensed video, and a short (one minute video). Full videos reserved for the website. For youtube, one 8+ minute video that is your condensed version and a short that is highlights of the youtube vid. Assuming you make it into the youtube algorithm, the one minute short videos will be what draws the attention of new viewers. That is what needs to be jazzed up some. Start the short with a quick catchy tune over scenes of what the main video is about, followed by a very brief clip of a discussion segment of the main video then finished off with more shooting/action/product highlighting scenes. The full youtube vid can be slower paced, slightly longer intro but keep it at a reasonable one minute or less.

I would encourage you to leave comments turned on and just not read them. The reason being is to give the youtube crowd a sense of community which helps keep viewers around. The trolls and white knights will forever be locked in a never-ending battle in full view of all spectators, such are the ways of youtube. If it helps put a disclaimer in the video description inviting anyone that is serious about discussing the topics on the videos to join the hide. Any troll that dares come over here will eventually be fed to the bear pit or the ban cat.

Now as far as formatting videos to gain interest. What's worked before still works, a brief intro with catchy tunes over action shots followed by a quick hello then onto the subject followed by a summary or outro. I've noticed videos that get straight to the point and stay on subject without long banter get more results in regards to likes, subscribes, shares, and follows.

Due to the nature of precision shooting, cinematography and video quality will need to be sharp. Focus extra attention there. I see 9-Hole reviews mentioned above, what they do instead of a trigger or scope cam is a camera through the spotting scope, which IMO adding that alongside the down range camera and the main camera at the shooter is the way to go. Instead of having the spotting scope with camera off to the side like 9-hole does, place it slightly above and directly behind the shooter. Another thing 9-hole does right is list the atmospheric/environmental conditions they are shooting in at the start of their range session.

When I was a new shooter trying to figure out how to use Mils or MOA, all I ran into on video were these pompous, long winded doosh bags that wanted to use as many complicated terms and 45 mins on how to use them. It didn’t click for me until I read one of YOUR short explanations. I forgot the exact wording but it was pretty much, forget about linear distance and measure aim point to impact with the ruler infront of your effing face. Mil, or MOA, doesn’t matter, and me being semi-retarded and bad at math, I just use Mils. I’ve always wanted to make a 2 minute video with an overhead projector (dating myself to the kids now) with a reticle on a clear plastic sheet so you can show aimpoint, impact, measurement. That fucking easy. But no…. The YouTube gun-queers (not you) like to ramble on making seem like rocket science or calculus level shit.

Please make a simple 2min video as explained above. With better production value and more cursing of the gun-queers rubbing one out to making shit harder than it needs to be. There is plenty more stuff to teach when you can flex your ample lexicon.

My size and voice mainly

Not sure I could grow taller or change the pitch of my voice

It just negativity not anything specific, turning off comments would be my next move, I dislike what I read there anyways, people have no idea the level of bs come in the form of comments
There are some, in fact many, that dont feel important unless theyre shitting on someone else.

Having been in the corps I'm sure youre fluent in French, but where I grew up in rural Virginia we had a saying that covered a lot of ground.

"Fuck'em if they cant take a joke."

It's served me well for 60 + years.

You could cut audio when the wind noise is high, voice over or Closed Caption.
Audio cuts and adds should be easy with most editing software.

Alot of your vids seem to always showcase equipment that works great but never the "hey stay away from this crap". Starts to feel like the typical gun magazine that gets paid by the manufacturers.

Oh, and more side boob.

Hey Frank,

I think I am part of the demographic you are after as I shoot casually, want to learn more without traveling a great distance for a class, and watch a lot of youtube...

2 things:
You do a great job on the meat of your videos, but the intro music and fast visuals/lettering may be driving some people away. I am 43 and listen to rock and heavy metal, but sometimes it is a bit too much stimuli, especially at the end of the day, when people are lazily drifting through youtube. Your actual delivery of the info is a completely different feel/tempo than the intro so there is a disconnect which could be affecting viewership. It would be interesting to try a mellower intro to see if this affects your viewer stats, retention, etc.

The second thing is just that something has changed at youtube in the last two years. I used to get your videos recommended to me fairly often, but now it only appears if I specifically search for a topic I know you have covered. I watch the same stuff now that I used to, so I think the algorithm has drifted, not my preferences. I don 't know your metric data, so if you personally see a lot of people quitting your videos early that would hurt your videos being recommended. But if not, something else is going on.

Otherwise I think the style and tempo of the main part of your videos is great. Looking at some of them side by side, I think your video about the upside-down AI buttplate covers your shooting best when you overlay the synchronized target cam (with the distance spray-painted on the nearby target) with the video of you taking the shot.

I think your youtube equivalent is SuperSetCA, someone very knowledgeable, with a laid back speaking style, conveying a lot of information, without much fluff. Maybe look at some of his videos to see if a similar editing/overall style is something you want to try.

Anyways, thanks for all of the knowledge you readily give out.

Greg.

Reactions: Lowlight
Video likes would increase a ten fold if we had some Asian scenery and good camera placement in the rear........ Once in awhile.....

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased
There are some, in fact many, that dont feel important unless theyre shitting on someone else.

Having been in the corps I'm sure youre fluent in French, but where I grew up in rural Virginia we had a saying that covered a lot of ground.

"Fuck'em if they cant take a joke."

It's served me well for 60 + years.
The fuck em part is what they don’t like, you tell ‘em and they get upset

You’re supposed to do nothing. So comments off

On the limits to the account, not seeing me anymore, yes I am on block lists. I get censored hard now. In fact I am on pre block lists on a lot of platforms.

Reactions: Bender and Maggot
The fuck em part is what they don’t like, you tell ‘em and they get upset

You’re supposed to do nothing. So comments off

On the limits to the account, not seeing me anymore, yes I am on block lists. I get censored hard now. In fact I am on pre block lists on a lot of platforms.
Yeah, as I've learned from dealing with trolls on here its usually best to just ignore them. I remember a remark you made years back...

"Welcome to the internet."

Frank, regarding vids to attract new people to SH and the realm of precision shooting- it isn't much different than it'd be for other areas of interest and recreation- these SH/PrecRifle "marketing videos" should be fun, amusing, a bit sexy, and speak to the appeal of basic Prec Rifle for the average gun owner. It's a cool area of the shooting sports- we just need to show that!

All kidding aside- a few shots of a 20/30 something hottie's cleavage while shooting, tight buns in tight spandex while prone, etc., is what works! Don't even need to show her face!

Literally telling the audience what you're going to tell them, then actually telling them, and then saying why what you've told them is true- is the basic model of successful "argument" and you're the perfect guy to sell it.

Don't worry about music in the background- but the sounds of ringing steel, along with target visuals, and some light animation of bullet travel and impact, make the viewer feel more immersed.

You're a fun fuckin guy and the rest of the world needs to know it!

I'm new to snipers hide, and didn't really know there was a YouTube channel as well. I just watched a few videos to check them out and see what they're all about. The intro isn't bad when it's stuff to do with the upcoming video, but maybe cut out the bits that aren't specifically part of the video we're watching. And the ending with you just taking a couple shots made me want to just skip to the next one, so that's where you could be losing viewers. The main part of the videos I watched were mostly good though. For your channel in general, maybe a playlist or two dealing with different sets of shooting fundamentals for beginner, intermediate, and more advanced shooters would be good. It would help someone like me that's brand new to your channel figure out what's what instead of just scrolling through a ton of random videos to see what you're all about.
Kristian

You are looking at a pretty Niche market by cornering high end precision rifle shooting. Most of what you get into are upper end platforms that the majority of the people (use poors) can't afford and are not interested in learning to use in the proficient manner, that you teach. In that, your material only clicks with a relatively small portion of shooters. Your average views per video is what 30-40,000... which is damn respectable, given the small portion of the market you apeal to.

If more youtube views, money is what you are after, you would need more entertainment for the masses . Titties( yes I know why I got banned) in a thumb nail is always and will always be click bait, explosions, jokes, and fucking shit up, is not very professional but it gets views. For example Kentucky Ballistics got a popularity boost blowing up a .50 and nearly killing himself. Garande Thumb has Charlie in the back ground constantly cracking jokes and recent videos like playing hide from the drone bomb.

Not everyone wants a serious learning experience... they want entertainment, they want here hold my beer type shit.

My .02 its worth what ya paid for it.

Frank, regarding vids to attract new people to SH and the realm of precision shooting- it isn't much different than it'd be for other areas of interest and recreation- these SH/PrecRifle "marketing videos" should be fun, amusing, a bit sexy, and speak to the appeal of basic Prec Rifle for the average gun owner. It's a cool area of the shooting sports- we just need to show that!

All kidding aside- a few shots of a 20/30 something hottie's cleavage while shooting, tight buns in tight spandex while prone, etc., is what works! Don't even need to show her face!

Literally telling the audience what you're going to tell them, then actually telling them, and then saying why what you've told them is true- is the basic model of successful "argument" and you're the perfect guy to sell it.

Don't worry about music in the background- but the sounds of ringing steel, along with target visuals, and some light animation of bullet travel and impact, make the viewer feel more immersed.

You're a fun fuckin guy and the rest of the world needs to know it!
This hads been mentioned several times. doesnt have to be cheesy, there are a bunch of LR female shooters that would likely love a chance to be on youre vids. Remember what all the stars know "Any publicity is good publicity. Its all in building name recognition.

Ill give you an example from my other hobby, audio. I have a buddy that builds some of the finest tube gear in the world, much better than established companies like Conrad Johnson. But CJ has name recognition so people tend to gravitate there.

As well as getting a good product out its getting your name, or Sniper's Hide name, out there for people to see. Thats how I got here. I was in Virginia Arms in Manassas Virginia where I bought my Barrett asking questions. One of the sales guys said check out 'Sniper's Hide'. The rest is history :cool:

Having a fine looking woman who is also a great marksman could only help. Would the average guy be sucked in by Jesse Duff or Candice Horner
chorner.jpg
topwomen3.jpg

You know he would. Invite/pay them to help with a class.

www.ssusa.org › content › top-50-women-inTop 50 Women in Competitive Shooting - Shooting Sports USA

Jun 19, 2017 · From action pistol and bullseye champions, smallbore, high power and precision rifle masters, trapshooters and Olympic gold medalists— SSUSA has compiled this list of 50 (52 to be

I don’t watch many video’s because in the far outback where we live, internet is sent to us in packets loaded on a twenty mule train.

First PRS is slow? Would you please attend a local IHMSA match with me sometime. (five shots in two minutes…targets are reset, repeat. Move to next animal, reset sights…five more shots…You get the picture.) its hard but takes quite some time to get 40 shots off.

So, Start the video, by showing a real PRS stage in real time. All ten shots in 90 seconds, with shots confirmed hits. Have an RO call impacts.

Then, as mentioned earlier, explain what happened and what was used to make it happen.

Next, show how to make it happen (main body of video)

Finally give a brief review of things not to do. And light-heartedly show why. (Things like dragging enough equipment to provide for an infantry squad).

Finish it with a shooter who is a beginner, shooting really poor, then later showing improvement.

Final words, “see, I told you it could be done.”

I'm new to snipers hide, and didn't really know there was a YouTube channel as well. I just watched a few videos to check them out and see what they're all about. The intro isn't bad when it's stuff to do with the upcoming video, but maybe cut out the bits that aren't specifically part of the video we're watching. And the ending with you just taking a couple shots made me want to just skip to the next one, so that's where you could be losing viewers. The main part of the videos I watched were mostly good though. For your channel in general, maybe a playlist or two dealing with different sets of shooting fundamentals for beginner, intermediate, and more advanced shooters would be good. It would help someone like me that's brand new to your channel figure out what's what instead of just scrolling through a ton of random videos to see what you're all about.
Kristian
I too, am relatively new here and completely new to long range shooting. And while I would like to think I can shoot 1000yds I certainly don’t have any delusions about doing with my equipment ( REM. 700 25-06, REM 700 308, Win 70 357 H&H Mag) I think I would be lucky to get 500 yd. But have learned a lot just about fundamentals. There is a world of difference between just going out hunting and precision long range shooting. I have a great deal of respect ( and some envy) for those that can do it. I know practice, practice, practice. Don’t quite know where I am going with this but there are novices out here (at least one) that would like to improve their skills. I have no illusions of becoming a Marine sniper but would like to use some of their techniques to improve.

Last edited: