• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Question to you, video thoughts

I too, am relatively new here and completely new to long range shooting. And while I would like to think I can shoot 1000yds I certainly don’t have any delusions about doing with my equipment ( REM. 700 25-06, REM 700 308, Win 70 357 H&H Mag) I think I would be lucky to get 500 yd. But have learned a lot just about fundamentals. There is a world of difference between just going out hunting and precision long range shooting. I have a great deal of respect ( and some envy) for those that can do it. I know practice, practice, practice. Don’t quite know where I am going with this but there are novices out here (at least one) that would like to improve their skills. I have no illusions of becoming a Marine sniper but would like to use some of their techniques to improve.
I'm not likely to ever compete in real long range competitions either, but I want to become a better shooter. I have a couple old school target rifles, (6.5x55 and 308) but with the cost and availability of components, I haven't really shot them the past couple years. I found rimfire PRS, and am having a blast with that, and have shot matches with targets as far out as 450 yards. I'm doing it on the cheap, with a $200 rifle in a homemade wood stock. I started last year and am unlikely to win any matches, but I'm getting better. My first one this year I was 9th overall, and only 6 points away from a podium finish against some pretty good shooters. I'm trying to learn how to do this by watching YouTube and other shooters at matches. My only real expenditure so far was a half decent scope and 34 mm rings. I figure (hope?) most of the techniques from rimfire should translate to centerfire rifles.
Kristian

Reactions: 101st
I'm not likely to ever compete in real long range competitions either, but I want to become a better shooter. I have a couple old school target rifles, (6.5x55 and 308) but with the cost and availability of components, I haven't really shot them the past couple years. I found rimfire PRS, and am having a blast with that, and have shot matches with targets as far out as 450 yards. I'm doing it on the cheap, with a $200 rifle in a homemade wood stock. I started last year and am unlikely to win any matches, but I'm getting better. My first one this year I was 9th overall, and only 6 points away from a podium finish against some pretty good shooters. I'm trying to learn how to do this by watching YouTube and other shooters at matches. My only real expenditure so far was a half decent scope and 34 mm rings. I figure (hope?) most of the techniques from rimfire should translate to centerfire rifles.
Kristian
Rock on.

Okay we went out today, Short session but I wanted to try some stuff out

Chris did a drill video which is kinda like a lesson video, but I changed the intro and got rid of the opening demonstration stuff

There is still a tiny bit of wind noise, the on camera mic was pulling some sound as a safety, I ended up lowering that after the fact, but the noise is minor

I have a bullet point video too but need to edit it first

Okay we went out today, Short session but I wanted to try some stuff out

Chris did a drill video which is kinda like a lesson video, but I changed the intro and got rid of the opening demonstration stuff

There is still a tiny bit of wind noise, the on camera mic was pulling some sound as a safety, I ended up lowering that after the fact, but the noise is minor

I have a bullet point video too but need to edit it first

I liked it. Very short intro sort of thing (18 seconds), right into the meat, it kept my interest. IMO, good vid but as I said....I'm a dinosaur so maybe opinions from younger people would be more helpful in attracting new shooters to your vids, clinics, and the Hide.

Reactions: Maggot
I liked it. Very short intro sort of thing (18 seconds), right into the meat, it kept my interest. IMO, good vid but as I said....I'm a dinosaur so maybe opinions from younger people would be more helpful in attracting new shooters to your vids, clinics, and the Hide.
T Rex agrees, good video. Covered just the right amount, kept it simple and straight forward. I learned something...Exxhale/close bolt.....fire. The only thing that didnt agree with me, and its largely subjective/generational, was the music. I bet the dinosaur above remembers this one...

Exxhale/close bolt
Personally and since I'm not Chris, I'd acquire target sight picture, close the bolt, then do breathing and break. But that's just me.

And I've seen Santana in concert three times and they were all great.

Ok, so I killed most of the opening though I decided to tack on a small piece,

But overall, this format is shorter, faster, gets to the point quicker so let me know, big picture stuff, not minor crap like the camera tried finding me a few times because I have no soul and the facial recognition doesn't work well on me

I do need a bit more B Roll for stuff, cover me and show different angles, but overall

But overall, this format is shorter, faster, gets to the point quicker so let me know, big picture stuff, not minor crap like the camera tried finding me a few times because I have no soul and the facial recognition doesn't work well on me

I do need a bit more B Roll for stuff, cover me and show different angles, but overall

Would be nice to see the actual reticle and display.

Calling it a Bullet Point Video is a little redundant isn’t it? It’s a “Sniper’s Hide™️ Bullet Point” about the Revic; I’m watching it, I know it’s a video. Consider adjusting the text and script as such? Also found the intro text hard to read because of how fast it went in/out exacerbated by the animation that’s behind the text. Minor point, what’s a 905 laser? I know you mean 905nm, but Mrs. Jones taught us to always include units.

Do you have internal guidelines on Bullet Point content and format? Not to share, but to keep yourself to a standard. Must be under X minutes long, etc.

I liked it, Frank. The intro is 20 seconds which is not objectionable to me. And as for the comment about the intro's text being cycled too fast to read, that really didn't bother me in the least. To me, it seemed clear that the intro was just that and not a dissertation in and of itself. The real content is after the intro as it should be.

I get it about mounts for different oculars and trying to get a thru the bino pics of the reticle and display.

And, its a bullet point...I believe these are intended to be very short and sweet. But if you ever do a more in depth review of the product, seeing the display in the binos would be critical, I think. As would the work flow and interaction between the binos and the app.

All in all, I liked it for what it was...a brief into to the Revic binos.

Reactions: Lowlight
It's always a question as to how much to include, sure a through the optic is nice, but I really don't think it's necessary to repeat certain things when a company has created a series of videos to highlight the features of products

So I appreciate the insight everyone provided, as far as the speed of the intros and wording, ya, if you want seconds you have to forgo the time to see it. Just how it works. I can intro short or long but everyone wants short so what it says is really hard to manage. unless you slow it down or stop it

Turned my comments off so we'll see what happens

I really don't think it's necessary to repeat certain things when a company has created a series of videos to highlight the features of products
Well,....but its from the company that makes them (and yeah, with vid thru the binos, etc so that's there) so it can be viewed by many as basically a sales pitch which is bias by its nature.

I think that people looking at your vids on products would do so for seeking an independent, objective evaluation.

Again, not the purpose of a bullet point vid, as I understand it. But for product reviews, I'm always interested in the independent guy vs the company sale pitch.

I liked it, Frank. The intro is 20 seconds which is not objectionable to me. And as for the comment about the intro's text being cycled too fast to read, that really didn't bother me in the least.
well I’ll just go and fuck myself then

well I’ll just go and fuck myself then
Get the fuck out.

My comment was my own opinion and nothing more.

Yes, your comment raised the subject but my comment was not intended (nor was in fact) to be some sort of person rebuttal or insult, my friend.

Don’t want people to ever disagree with you, then you may want to consider staying out of forums.

• Haha
Reactions: TheOE800

That’s really good! I did laugh at the thought of hitting cows at 1800 though. 1:10 mark in the video.

I liked the new video on the binos. The intro was to the point and relevant to the subject, a little bit of info to get the viewer interested in the product, but not overloaded by reading the spec sheet like some reviewers do. It's also good to have a real world target distance that they can be expected to work at, instead of just the manufacturers claims. The bit about the app is useful, and gives the viewer something to look into further if that interests them.
Kristian

I know it takes some time editing, but to have a timer for showing how long it takes to build a position like in this clip I find helpful. Gives something to measure

Long time follower, I've enjoyed all the content you've put out through the years. Whether long or short clips. The YouTube comment section is usually full of Muppets so that's understandable. Agree with switching off comments.

Funny,
So this morning I was looking at some video stats from YT and the numbers are telling

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 11.08.38 AM.png

You look at the training / instructional stuff, light views, you look at the gear stuff, 4x the views

People don't want to learn how to shoot, they want to buy stuff, how do I buy a hit...

That needs to be to my next video,

Buying a hit all all the best stuff you can't afford

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23 and Maggot
Funny,
So this morning I was looking at some video stats from YT and the numbers are telling

View attachment 8170628

You look at the training / instructional stuff, light views, you look at the gear stuff, 4x the views

People don't want to learn how to shoot, they want to buy stuff, how do I buy a hit...

I learned that with guitars, bought the best, Paul Reed Smith, Marshall, etc, but never really learned to play well. Then the thief got it all.

Brought that to lesson to shooting. When I first started LR I looked into doing a 'custom build' for north of 3K. then someone with experience told me about the Remington 5R in 308 for $900. I saw that it would out shoot me os why spend 3K. I still have that rifle and it can still out shoot me.

Funny,

View attachment 8170628

Because when people search they are generally looking for gear, so they type in X gear in the search window and videos pop up.

Notice one of your most popular videos has 6.5 creedmoor in the title. Because thats a popular cartridge. I bet if your title was something about sniping the sub(titan) that imploded near the titanic it would get views.

Do it...please...do it. That would be hilarious and right up there with "Mighty Fine Ammo"! LOL

I've searched for how to videos on shooting, and it's tough to find them. I suck at finding stuff on the internet in general, but that could be part of why the gear reviews get way more views than instructional ones too. Everything these days seems to be about selling something, so there's a good chance YouTube also promotes those types of videos more than the ones that are just about training.
Kristian

Still playing with format,

Had a minor hiccup with the audio due to the increased wind noise, but it's hardly noticeable.

Skipping content and going to style, is this more to the point ?

Tne end credit too much ? Putting the branding after the video ?

Reactions: isofahunter
I like the format, maybe a quick banner/title at start Way Wind Reading Lesson to quickly set topic . Other than that I think you have it, captures attention and moves right into practical advice the viewer can use.

Skipping content and going to style, is this more to the point ?
Yes, nice and to the point.

Tne end credit too much ? Putting the branding after the video ?
I thought it was just fine. Didn't offend or annoy me in the least. But of course I'm an ignorant philistine! LOL

And I like the suggestion above about a quick banner to intro the subject.

For me, the key has been focusing on engaging visuals and tight, concise editing that keeps the pace lively. People seem to love content that feels personal and relatable, yet polished. A good video editor can make a world of difference in achieving that balance. Speaking of which, finding a video editor that's intuitive yet powerful has been a game-changer for me. It allows for creativity without the need for Spielberg-level resources. With just a couple of cameras and a solid editor, you can produce content that resonates with today's audience. It's all about experimenting and finding what works best for you and your viewers.

Last edited:
Reactions: candyx