• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns My review of the Ruger LC9 for Concealed Carry

Silver_Bullet_00

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
North Carolina
Got a new Ruger LC9 last week.

It conceals easy being a thin single stack 9mm. It is a little to big for a pocket gun in my opinion.

It has not jammed through 150 rounds. I used 40 rounds of Winchester SXT 9mm bullet +P 124 grain. This is my intended carry load, and it functioned without a problem. The rest was an assortment of fmj target ammo.

The gun was accurate enough for its intended purpose. At 7 yards I could put 5 shots in a 1-2 inch group on average. At 25 yards I was able to do 5 inches. All this slow firing.

Now the trigger is my only complaint. I measured it at 6 lbs and 6 OZ. Not to heavy or to light for a CCW. The pull is like a smooth DA, but it is very long. When I say it is long I mean it feels like it travels forever before it breaks.

The long travel in the trigger is what I think effected my rapid follow up shots, as I had a hard time staying on target during rapid fire follow ups.

So slow firing this pistol was excellent, but the trigger is long. I hope someone makes a kit for this soon, because that would make it one nice ccw piece if you could fix the travel on the trigger.

Another complaint is that it will not fire if the mag drops out.
Oh and it has a thumb safety if you want one on your CCW.

Re: My review of the Ruger LC9 for Concealed Carry

Curious on why you decided on the Ruger vs. other offerings. Just curious. I don't have any experience with the LC9 and was looking at a PPS. A friend has simular compaints with the LC9 trigger however this is probably par for that kind of animal. They both are relatively thin at 0.9" and that caught my attention.

The Kawr CM9 has a better trigger, I shot a friends. He said it had to go through a break in before it was reliable though. I cant speak for the PPS. Price was a consideration, as it was only 380 dollars new, and I read some good reviews on it, but you can never take those magazines serious.

The kel-tec pf9 trigger also feels a little better, but I wouldn't trust my life to that keltec. Its also not recommended to fire a lot of +p.

As far as handguns go, I am used to glock triggers with 3&1/2 # connectors.

I still want to know why these manufacturers keep producing these tiny pistols with a drop free mag release on the side...a bump from a set of keys or a knife will drop the mag...giving you a single shot pistol. The remedy in my hands is a piece of duct tape. Not elegant, but effective...It would be much better served, IMHO, to have a spring loaded butt release like the EARLY pocket pistols. Or the Makarov. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still want to know why these manufacturers keep producing these tiny pistols with a drop free mag release on the side...a bump from a set of keys or a knife will drop the mag...giving you a single shot pistol. The remedy in my hands is a piece of duct tape. Not elegant, but effective...It would be much better served, IMHO, to have a spring loaded butt release like the EARLY pocket pistols. Or the Makarov. JMHO </div></div>

With the LC9 you want even have a single shot, because it will not fire without the magazine in it.

Ordered one for myself last week. Shot one several months ago and was pleasantly suprised by the accuracy, the smooth trigger, the reliability, and the generous sites. It will serve as my backup weapon while on duty.

Sounds like I need to keep my 642 a while longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like I need to keep my 642 a while longer. </div></div>

Or you could go buy a Kahr CM9 or PM9 if you want to spend the extra dough for nicer lines and 5R rifling. I have a K9 and I owned a PM9 until someone broke into my truck and stole it. They are great guns and they are also made in the States.

I recently purchased a LC9. Shot it once and I am going to sell it and get a CM9. On sale I can get a CM9 for another $75 over the LC9. Being used to the triggers on my Kahr's the LC9 trigger pull seems very, very long. Trigger pull on Kahr is long compared to single actions but very smooth for a low to mid range pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rootney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like I need to keep my 642 a while longer. </div></div>

Or you could go buy a Kahr CM9 or PM9 if you want to spend the extra dough for nicer lines and 5R rifling. I have a K9 and I owned a PM9 until someone broke into my truck and stole it. They are great guns and they are also made in the States.

I recently purchased a LC9. Shot it once and I am going to sell it and get a CM9. On sale I can get a CM9 for another $75. They are worlds apart. Trigger on the LC9 horrible compared to both Kahr's I have owned. </div></div>

The Pm9 has a match polygonal barrel rather than conventional rifling on the Cm9

Not really important for a handgun that small being used for concealed carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rootney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like I need to keep my 642 a while longer. </div></div>

I recently purchased a LC9. Shot it once and I am going to sell it and get a CM9. On sale I can get a CM9 for another $75. They are worlds apart. Trigger on the LC9 horrible compared to both Kahr's I have owned. </div></div>

The Pm9 has a match polygonal barrel rather than conventional rifling on the Cm9

Not really important for a handgun that small being used for concealed carry. </div></div>

Oops. I meant Polygonal not 5R. Was thinking about rifles when I posted. Definitely not needed on a small concealed carry gun like this. That is why I suggested the CM9 unless you want to pay another $200 dollars for polygonal barrel, different machining on the slide, machined slide stop, steel front sight and an extra magazine. I will be getting the CM9 and saving the extra $$$.

After looking at my Kahr K9 and Ruger LC9 I must say that I like the lines of the LC9 better. The Kahr's are blocky looking compared to the Ruger. The Ruger slide and grip are nicely contoured which would not print as much under thin clothing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rootney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After looking at my Kahr K9 and Ruger LC9 I must say that I like the lines of the LC9 better. The Kahr's are blocky looking compared to the Ruger. The Ruger slide and grip are nicely contoured which would not print as much under thin clothing. </div></div>

That is true. The Ruger would be a good choice if you can master the trigger. I need more practice. I have been dry firing it lately.

Went through another box of ammo today (50rnds), I am still having trouble with the trigger on follow ups. Its just soooooooooo loooooonnnnggggg! I need more practice, or trade it for a CW9.

I switched to my Glock after firing the LC9 for the last 3 days. I took aim, and i pulled the trigger to feel for that certain point before break, and it went off earlier than I meant! I was used to the heavy long trigger in the LC9 LOL. After that first shot, my muscle memory came back to my finger for my Glock trigger with 3&1/2 pound connector. I just had to get some good follow up shots in, even if it meant switching pistols! LOL

I also picked up an LC9 a week ago but I have yet to shoot it. I had been wanting a light, compact, single stack pistol for a while as my everyday carry is a HK P7M13. I would agree that it is not quite a pocket gun but thats not what I wanted anyway. I have dry fired it and though the trigger is long is does seem rather smooth.

In addition to the no magazine no fire issue I also don't like that you can't rack the slide while the safety is engaged. I carry chambered with the safety on and if I want to clear it I have to take it off safe before racking the slide. Not terrible, just one of those things. Range report should follow next week hopefully.

Well, I guess I am going against the grain on this thread. I don't like the LC9. I have a daily carry Walther PPS. The LCP is not really any smaller and I found the trigger to be totally to my disliking. The pull is long and gritty on the samples I have tried. To top that off, I have long and large fingers and the trigger's shape is most uncomfortable to me.
The Diamondback 9MM felt much better than the LC9 but I have no knowledge of its reliability.

The long trigger takes a little getting used to but I find it easy to shoot and have a good feel for where it will break. Mine is very smooth, not gritty as some described. I like Woolrich Tactical pants and find yhe LP9 goes just fine in the very deep front pockets when carried in a Blackhawk #4 pocket holster. It is a little big to go in a pair of jeans. I like it as an eight shot alternative to a pocket J frame.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The long trigger takes a little getting used to but I find it easy to shoot and have a good feel for where it will break. Mine is very smooth, not gritty as some described. I like Woolrich Tactical pants and find yhe LP9 goes just fine in the very deep front pockets when carried in a Blackhawk #4 pocket holster. It is a little big to go in a pair of jeans. I like it as an eight shot alternative to a pocket J frame. </div></div>

It is smooth, but I don't have that feeling of where it is going to break yet, since it is longer than any trigger I have ever pulled on a handgun.

The magazine disconnect can be easily eliminated. Some are sure to comment about the "lawsuit that will surely be filed by the family of the person killed by an illegaly altered gun".

That is not a concern for me. I haven't removed mine yet but I plan on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qin3g_T9HvY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The magazine disconnect can be easily eliminated. Some are sure to comment about the "lawsuit that will surely be filed by the family of the person killed by an illegaly altered gun".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qin3g_T9HvY </div></div>

How is altering a guns (magazine disconnect) illegal? Your not making a full auto!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The magazine disconnect can be easily eliminated. Some are sure to comment about the "lawsuit that will surely be filed by the family of the person killed by an illegaly altered gun".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qin3g_T9HvY </div></div>

There is no problem with it, but there always seems to be a lengthy debate as someone usually finds a problem with it. I shouldn't have even brought it up.

That video is pretty good and I have a friend who has done his without issue. I plan to remove mine soon.

How is altering a guns (magazine disconnect) illegal? Your not making a full auto! </div></div>

Whatever you do, just remember to never use +P or +P+ ammo in the Ruger. My friend did just that, and it took two trips to the factory to get it corrected. He has carried one for about six months; seems to like it. The finish is already wearing, white dots fell out of the sights, and it has some rusting (we live in North Florida). Other than those issues, it seems to be a good weapon for the price.

I have had one for three months, and have not had any issues. I carry it inside of my body armor and its holding up fine so far. The trigger pull is long, but smooth. I have shot some hot reloads and it functioned fine. I got the Laser from Crimson Trace and it molds to the front well.

My wife bought one, and mastering the trigger is a challenge. We don't normally use safeties, but when she engaged the LC9 safety after 100 rounds or so the pistol completely failed to function. Ruger fixed it - looks like a spring problem - but some confidence has eroded. My guess is she will trade it for something else, but in the meantime is having fun with her .357 magnum.

We normally like Ruger products, but neither of us is very fond of the LC9. We admittedly have a 1911 bias, so maybe a SA EMP is in her future.