• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Rifle Eats Everything .... Better than Yours

Mike throws some pixie dust at it, which, his barrel work helps account for a lot of this

I was surprised by the dope more an anything, sure I have had loads zero pretty close to each other but then the world takes over and they diverge well before 600, I was surprised that all 3 hit the same using 4 mils
That’s the craziest thing, with the difference in weights, bc, brand etc. Especially taking into account they’re factory loads. I recorded 6.5 PRC 140 gr Hornady Precision Hunter SD 11.3 with 15 rds though with a Magnetospeed V3.

Mike throws some pixie dust at it, which, his barrel work helps account for a lot of this

I was surprised by the dope more an anything, sure I have had loads zero pretty close to each other but then the world takes over and they diverge well before 600, I was surprised that all 3 hit the same using 4 mils
As I’ve placed an order for one, without having ever seen or held one. Just trying to get a good picture about it, would you put Tac ops fit and finish, build quality, and attention to detail in the top two category? Thanks

Everything I’ve ever seen from Tac Ops tells me you will begetting a rifle at the top end of accurate. Hope you get a great rifle who ever you go with. Other great smiths would be LRI, SAC, GAP.

Reactions: JakeM
As I’ve placed an order for one, without having ever seen or held one. Just trying to get a good picture about it, would you put Tac ops fit and finish, build quality, and attention to detail in the top two category? Thanks
Read the tac ops thread. He times his screws. Doesn’t get better than that

most attention to detail gunsmith for a tactical rifle.

Rather obvious that His Majesty grouped the first load, but then developed a nasty flinch to the other two loads, which just coincidentally impacted where the first group was. 👍👍👍

Some times it happens. Some times it doesn't.

You can line up 6 different bullets with the same POI, then another time you can take 2 different lots of the same product and have 2 different POI's.

It's beyond that, I have had rifles zero close but the rounds were never on track at distance

the fact all three are using the same dope is unique, especially at distance, at 100 there is nothing to act on the bullet, at 600 there is plenty

it's not a case, um, ya it happens ... never happens like this

That’s pretty cool that they match up like that. I have some Norma 130’s (I think the old Prime stuff) that have the same holdover of 4 miles at 600yds. I have a 19.4” Bartlein barrel, terminus Zeus prefit cut by Straight Jacket Armory. Mine are running 2,650fps with my TBAC Ultra 9 on it.

What’s the length of your barrel? What’s the speed for each round?

Good stuff as always. @lowlight.

Reactions: MikeRTacOps
Rather obvious that His Majesty grouped the first load, but then developed a nasty flinch to the other two loads, which just coincidentally impacted where the first group was. 👍👍👍
Not true. Watch that video when you're sober there Leaving Las Vegas.

H
Huh?

That’s interesting! I wonder how the dope would hold up as you stretch it out further. Surely they must start to diverge meaningfully at some point.

I think he is joking…

Somehow the magic of positive compensation must have (accidentally?) kicked in here. I realize these shots were with factory ammo not tuned to the rifle, which makes it all the more amazing. The slower 142 gn bullet must have been launched at a substantially higher barrel (whip) angle compared to the 130 gn, which was probably traveling at least 100 fps faster.

Would be interesting to know how much the speed varied, as well as barrel profile and barrel length.

Good shooting sir!

It’s not pixie dust I only chamber my rifles with Extra Virgin Italian Olive Oil from Naples Italy... ;)

Mike R.

It’s not pixie dust I only chamber my rifles with Extra Virgin Italian Olive Oil from Naples Italy... ;)

Mike R.
This is how you gain new customers. Phenomenal products, customer service, and a sense of humor. I’m new, but will be in contact.

This is super cool.
I ran out of powder for my 6.5 CM 123 load and needed just a few more rounds to shoot a club match. So I used a different powder and loaded a ladder test until it lined up with my zero. I never chronoed it but the dope was the same, it was the same bullet though. Lowlights case is cartridge efficiency, good rifle, good ammo, and good shooting. Thanks for sharing!

My FN SPR surprises me much in the same manner. It doesn't seem to matter what I shoot through it, FGGM 175s, Prime 155s, Black hills, copper creek, Southwest Berger 185s, hell it even shoots M80 ball surprisingly well. People don't believe it usually until they shoot it, and then they tell me they want it. I'll never get rid of it.

Attachments

• DSC_5812.JPG
    DSC_5812.JPG
    373.7 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: TriggerJerk!
I was starting to wonder if you had seen this! I’m starting to get a TacOps 6.5 CM itch…
Doc , I don't want the wife to come Smoke me when I'm coming out of my office she'd go to slide lock if you order another Tac Ops lol

Mike R.

Edited not to be too personal ;)

This certainly seems like an extremely rare event. (not the great shooting obviously)

If the dope is the same at 600, with the same zero, all dope inward ought surely also be so similar. But at some point, the magic recipe of BC, f/s, weight resulting in this must fail and those loads open up from eachother. Be interesting to see how far out

Such an interesting occurrence!

I brought the Victor to NE for class and use it for a demo first thing. I just grabbed a few rounds from a student, didn’t care what it was honestly. Shot 1/2 MOA without really trying

I am gonna explore the round situation more, I really only have les than 40 rounds through it, so I need to explore the phenomenon better to see what is going on….

But Mike‘s shit is legit, I have rifles from a metric ton of people, too many really my Family is gonna hate me when I go. That said I am using this rifle as a work gun. It’s fit, finish, feel, fits me perfect and the thing hammers

Love the Apollo, the actions wars are annoying but the Terminus is solid. Nice bolt lift and throw, feels good.

It’s the barrel work has to be, I know what Mike does and it’s different, this might be an unexpected result of that work.
499DA4B9-E67A-48BB-AA2F-1E291E37B27A.jpeg

Mike R.
NOW YOU’VE DONE IT!

First it was primers, then powder, bullets and brass. Now, when I am going to try and cook something or need an oil for any purpose, The Panic will strike, people will Hoard and No Olive Oil Will Be Found!

So, I know who to blame when I go to the grocery store and the shelves will be empty of Olive Oil.

@lowlight, Did Mike personalize this rifle for you? Engraving or anything?

647C612E-67BF-4381-A8AB-80E8E9A2ADF1.jpeg
Was able to take the Victor 51 out to 1200 today at the Nebraska class.

06226C32-8CF2-4F35-B78E-5575435E690A.jpeg

absolute hammer - easily one of the most accurate rifles I ever used.

even managed to pull off a Babe Ruth Moment in front of the students, I got it … Boo

Doped her out to 1000 using 300, 600, 800 to set my data than murdered everything I was pointed at to 1200 after that.

when your 19” barrels second round impacts in some tricky winds you know you made a great choice.

will get a picture of the engraving later it’s in its bag sleeping right now. Had a busy day

Neophyte question: does Tac Ops mount the action further back in the stock than standard? Sold my McMs, so don't have one to hand, but that rear action screw seems right up against the pistol grip... and I remember a significant gap. Just not sure if that's an illusion, a stock model thing or a Tac Ops thing. Obviously, shorter would be better for me from a trigger reach standpoint.

That might wipe off but it’s gonna be a work gun, they get dirty and scratched

the Stock is the A10 / U10 which is smaller and the grip is closer to the trigger it was worked on with Regina Milk for woman and children, and guys named Frank

Reactions: kthomas

the Stock is the A10 / U10 which is smaller and the grip is closer to the trigger it was worked on with Regina Milk for woman and children, and guys named Frank

Add "Dave" to the list... over here rocking my 12.5" LOP and envying your shorter trigger reach (because I've yet to own even one stock that gets my finger "square" that isn't an AR-15). Awesome. Gets harder not to call Tac Ops every day...

hahaha....was just joking, Frank. Playing the dozens a bit, really. I agree....IMO, guns are to be used and loving use shows.

I too often think that rifle shooters that stock makers used for fit testing were former NBA players who can palm a bowling ball. Does not work with my short fingers. Tyler at MK did a modified grip for JAE that I have on my chassis and wow, what a world of difference...actually can grip the stock and reach the trigger. Amazing, who knew! haha

Cheers

Reactions: JakeM
Still my dream rifle…Anyone need a left 🌰? I’ll trade you for a TacOps…… one of these days I’ll have one.

Frank, I’ve been tracking this thread and quite frankly it challenges my humble scientific brain. You shoot lights out (not at all surprising), out at what looks like Ft Morgan (I’ve taken your class there) in wind and environmental conditions I have experienced there, with 3 completely different rounds, all other parameters and dope equal, and you have the same result at 600yds with all three rounds - no other independent variables In science speak! This racks my brain!

So, what does this mean? We spend dozens of attempts to just tweak a load - just one load trying different bullets, powder, primers, cases, and charges just to get one that works best for a given rifle.

What you just demonstrated (in my humble brain) was that it’s not BC, or SD, or velocity, or powder, or bullet weight, primers(?), all cartridge parameters except case varied in your shoot and all three different cartridges performed - I’ll call it equally. How does that happen? And it’s obviously not distance from the lands, COAL, or chamber fit as those differed between cartridges too!

What does this mean? Does this mean that we should all be focused way more on Mike R’s detailed tolerances, harmonics, etc instead of cartridge/load development? Are we to learn now that build tolerances and attention to minute build details are the answer? Help me understand the implications.

My scientific logical brain has more hypotheses/questions in it now than I can answer. Short story, to me this is some very interesting data that needs way more vetting or explaining by the likes of the ballistics geniuses on the hide.

No doubt Mike R has the recipe for amazing precision and accuracy, and given this thread he is going to be even more busy than he was. Amazing rifle Mike, and terrific shooting Frank. We need more threads like this!

Reactions: tacops1
Frank, I’ve been tracking this thread and quite frankly it challenges my humble scientific brain. You shoot lights out (not at all surprising), out at what looks like Ft Morgan (I’ve taken your class there) in wind and environmental conditions I have experienced there, with 3 completely different rounds, all other parameters and dope equal, and you have the same result at 600yds with all three rounds - no other independent variables In science speak! This racks my brain!

So, what does this mean? We spend dozens of attempts to just tweak a load - just one load trying different bullets, powder, primers, cases, and charges just to get one that works best for a given rifle.

What you just demonstrated (in my humble brain) was that it’s not BC, or SD, or velocity, or powder, or bullet weight, primers(?), all cartridge parameters except case varied in your shoot and all three different cartridges performed - I’ll call it equally. How does that happen? And it’s obviously not distance from the lands, COAL, or chamber fit as those differed between cartridges too!

What does this mean? Does this mean that we should all be focused way more on Mike R’s detailed tolerances, harmonics, etc instead of cartridge/load development? Are we to learn now that build tolerances and attention to minute build details are the answer? Help me understand the implications.

My scientific logical brain has more hypotheses/questions in it now than I can answer. Short story, to me this is some very interesting data that needs way more vetting or explaining by the likes of the ballistics geniuses on the hide.

No doubt Mike R has the recipe for amazing precision and accuracy, and given this thread he is going to be even more busy than he was. Amazing rifle Mike, and terrific shooting Frank. We need more threads like this!

I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest... This costs you nothing to read or ignore, nor am I trying to discount any of what Mike does, but I will re-iterate. It happens sometimes.

I have a box of "shootable" 6.5 Creedmoor-- 129 American White tail, 140 ELD-M, 147 ELD-M, 143 ELD-X, Bastard hand loads-- hell even some 160gr Round noses. It's just odds and ends of boxes of various ammo & hand loads I've had over 4 barrels of 6.5 Creedmoor. Mostly I use it for fouling and breaking barrels in, rough sighting, etc...

I have noticed a peculiar tendency for a lot of those different lots/types of ammo to shoot to the same POI/POA at 100yd. If not dead nuts in the same place, within .25 MOA, even the 160 RN's. I've never put it to a scientific test because it's a big random ball of shit, but I have noticed it... At any rate, at 500yd, most "match" and "long range" loads end up in the same place. Dial 3 mils, check wind, send it. Often enough one of the types of ammo out of the pile will hit somewhere else, but also often enough 3, 4, 5 types of different ammo in a "rainbow magazine" will group surprisingly well at 500yd. Like MOA or better.

Having said all of that... I have also had, on several occasions, 2 different lots of the 'same' ammo shoot in entirely different places. Like 3/4 to 1 MOA away from each other. So yeah... Sometimes it all lines up, sometimes it doesn't. I think you'd be hard pressed to back any claim of consistency because you're at the mercy of multiple ammo mfgs. with different powders, bullet lots, case lots, whatever... It's cool when it happens, but I wouldn't bank on it, basically.

Reactions: spife7980