• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My story of fitness, which I hope can be an inspiration to someone...

Fried Chicken Blowout

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
Meeker, Colorado
About 6 months ago I wrote an article for a shooting related magazine that I write match reviews for. Normally I stick to USPSA, IDPA, 3-Gun and Long Range Field match articles for them. I actually don't read magazines anymore but I've been interested in writing at times in my life and figured I would do a little here and there for them to entertain myself. The editor choose not to run this fitness related article siting "although it's a good article, it lacks a solid tie in to shooting and some readers may find your comments about aunt abrasive." This decision I was expecting, more so because I have a bunch of trademarked product names in the article that I didn't think I could do without. So without further ado I'm going to post the article in it's entirety here in the hopes that SOMEONE, ANYONE can get some inspiration from it. If you're in the position of my aunt with being morbidly obese, don't take my comments as a slam, take them as a reason for you to ponder some choices you might want to make about your future.

An interesting question was posed to me recently by my aunt. She had not seen me in a while and I happened to be wearing a form fitting t-shirt at the time. The question was “Why do you want to be so big?” and it was asked in a demeaning manner. The question was in reference to my muscular development. The weird thing is that I’m not that “buff”, I just look like an average guy that works out. This question was particularly silly to me, as it was posed by a morbidly obese person who, in her late 50s, recently had a knee replacement. My response was a simple smile and I went on with my day. But it got me to thinking about why someone, anyone, would see a good level of fitness as a problem.

Throughout my life I have struggled with my weight and general health. There was a great improvement in my weight and wellbeing in my early 20’s when I lost significant weight and educated myself on healthy eating and fitness. Unfortunately, my bad habits returned in my late 20‘s and early 30’s with the addition of kids and career stresses. I fell back on my love of eating and made excuse after excuse about why I could not workout and why I enjoyed fast food so much. So there I was 34 years old, 5 foot 11 inches (although my wife says I’m 5’10”), weighing in at 260 pounds. Something needed to be done. Having been through this before to a smaller degree, I knew what I needed to do. Making it happen is always the hard part.

Excited to begin this process of ‘reshaping’ myself, I began building a significant home gym. A large amount of money was sunk into an 800 sq ft gym, situated in a portion of my basement. The workouts ensued and some results were seen. I also incorporated running into my program. All of which was time consuming, but I stuck with it until things went south. My joints decided they did not like me. It started with my wrists and fingers and ended up extending to my ankles and knees. After several visits to my doctor I was referred to a rheumatologist who ended up diagnosing me with rheumatoid arthritis.

Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a form of inflammatory arthritis and is an autoimmune disease. With RA, for reasons no one fully understands, the immune system – which is designed to protect our health by attacking foreign cells such as viruses and bacteria – instead attacks the body’s own tissues, specifically the synovium, a thin membrane that lines the joints. As a result of these attacks, fluid builds up in the joints, causing pain in the joints and systemic inflammation. That means it can occur throughout the entire body.

My new challenge limited my ability to work out as vigorously and was only compounded by still being overweight. Continued knee and ankle issues stopped me from running and wrist issues kept me from lifting weights as heavily. My desire to workout waned as bodyweight increased. All the while I watched my wonderful wife live her outdoor life running, being fit, and looking great. The fact I needed to face was this challenge would be with me for life, no matter how aggressively medicated. Dealing with increased bodyweight would only make matters worse not to mention increasing my risk of heart disease, diabetes, and other weight-related medical issues. In early 2012 I decided something had to change.

Once I made the decision to take my health seriously, I signed up for Weight Watchers Online. This program appealed to me because it did not have a huge cost, no special meals, and no meetings. A person just uses their calculator for points and tracks them each day. They provide an excellent set of programs for iPhone and Android smartphones to help along the way. And along my way I went! Progress was seen pretty quickly and it wasn’t long before I was feeling better and more able to workout while dealing with the joint pain. But without running or even walking pain-free what kind of exercises could I do? I ended up ordering a stationary bike that worked out wonderfully. That alone with the Weight Watchers was the key to 30 pounds of weight loss in about eight months time. After losing 30 pounds, my energy level was creeping back up and my lower body joint pain was manageable.

Unfortunately, not long after this time things began to stall.. Thankfully my wife heard from a friend about a ‘silly’ video that was available on YouTube. It was a short, intense workout video by Jillian Michaels of “The Biggest Looser” fame. I had heard of Jillian Michaels but am a rather skeptical reality TV viewer and never watched any of the shows. I was nevertheless willing to give it a try. After the first week or two I was hooked. The moves were easy enough to understand, the workout was a short 20 minutes, and I could modify things to work around my upper body joint issues. After a little research we discovered that Michaels has a large number of videos available at retail stores and online for very reasonable prices. We quickly bought several of the videos and added them into out workout routine. Despite my wife already having an aggressive working routine, she enjoyed adding the videos into her workouts for additional training and an increase in variety.

The biggest thing I learned from these videos was that I could enjoy working my core. I found that with proper core work, I became significantly more powerful in all of my workouts and less prone to back and neck injuries. The amazing thing was I could do intense workouts without thousands of dollars of gym equipment. My massive gym collected dust as I became fit with just some simple and light dumbbells. As time went on, I was able to increase the weight of the dumbbells but even now I am only using 12-pound dumbbells for these workouts and nothing more than my body weight for a lot of the moves.

It was a welcome surprise then that after a few months of this routine, in addition to weight loss, I noticed a significant improvement in my sports endurance and performance. At last, here comes the tie-in to shooting. As a competitive shooter, you have to consider yourself an athlete or you will not be successful. I had been competing in USPSA, IDPA, Multi-Gun, and field-based long-range team matches prior to my new fitness drive. And let me tell you, if you cannot sprint across a shooting stage or hike a mile long field course without wanting to lose your lunch, you surly will not be able to shoot worth a damn.

With my newfound fitness level I was able to traverse a USPSA stage at high speed, making turns, and running my gun with ease instead of wanting to puke. I was startled to notice that I was able to think at high speed during these events when before I would have a hard time remembering my plan and performing to the best of my ability because it was such an effort just to move my body. It was amazing how much better your shooting can be when your body does not get in the way.

Dropping to prone and getting back out of position was easy now. Kneeling and squatting, simple! Where my 40” waist once housed my gut and spare tire, I now have smooth flat abs and 33” waist which now does not get in the way or interfere with my gear setup. My shooting life has improved and, more to the point, my life has improved. I feel better about myself and have the drive to be a better person, a better husband, and a better father. There is energy to do more with my life and that allows me to workout more frequently and more strenuously. There came a point in the last year and a half since I started this new fitness focus, with proper treatment for my RA and weight loss, that my RA stopped becoming my limiting factor. I have learned to work around my joint limitations and continue to progress in my fitness.

When my aunt asked why I wanted to be so muscular I wanted to laugh in her face. But I held my tongue and really thought about it later. I have always been a big guy and at one in my 20s point did actually pursue the body builder physic. Now my drive is different. I want to be healthy and free to live the life I want to live unencumbered by my obesity or medical issues. My focus is having the ability to sling on a 20-pound pack with 16-pound long range rifle, hike a mile uphill, and very successfully engage a 12” steel target at 1000 yards during a match.

Being fit allows you to live your best life. You only get one life to live and you make the choice about how you want to live it. We all have barriers of some kind that effect our health and fitness. It’s up to us to work around them and adapt to make the best of what we have. If you you’re a shooter or an outdoors person who is overweight or out of shape, just think about how much easier the things you love to do would be if you were fit and healthy. Now is the time to make the choice that will improve your life.. It’s hard work, but everything else in your life will benefit. You may even be able to encourage others around you to improve their life with your success.

My biggest encouragement has been my wife’s cousin Lynn. She was once more than 125 pounds overweight and successfully reached her goal weight years after starting her adventure in fitness. As an elementary school teacher she is a role model for her students and was certainly one for me. I knew that I could be successful after watching what Lynn accomplished. Search out the encouragement you need to be successful so you can live your best life. . Then when someone asks ‘why you want to be so muscular’, you can just smile and walk away confident that you have reached your fitness and health goals.

For those of you that made it to the end of the article, hopefully you enjoyed something about it. If you did, check back to this thread in the future. In the last 6 months I've progressed on to working with a trainer and getting into high intensity kettle-bell training that is similar to CrossFit and wow the results have been great. As I get time I'll update this tread with more information about these new workouts as well.

Mr. Fried Chicken Blowout

Good stuff FCB! Love references to the fat aunt and putting exercise into a life perspective. Your story reminds me of me except that @ 39 expecting my first child, it was simply free will and a shitload of fishing that had me 265+ and "needing" meds. Didn't want to be a fat old man (not) chasing my daughter. I knew what needed to happen and have worked steady enough since then to keep 50 pounds off my frame. Hell, I ran a half marathon this morning as a "training" run for a planned full in December. Hopefully, I hold together and it works out. Keep it up.

Btw. I have plenty of folks who discourage me from running because I'll need new knees or hips when I'm old...I figure without exercise, I probably wouldn't have the old problem in the first place!

Awesome. I'm in almost the exact same situation (height, weight, no RA) and just signed up for weight watcher online last week which was also they day before I left for a week long sales conference. Even with all the shenanigans, I stuck to the program petty well, found that the ability to track from my phone works great and I still lost two pounds. Got back into the gym this week and sticking with it. I'll update periodically as we'll unless you would rather me not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Btw. I have plenty of folks who discourage me from running because I'll need new knees or hips when I'm old...I figure without exercise, I probably wouldn't have the old problem in the first place!

Pretty much... You gotta find something you can do to stay in shape and take what comes after. Otherwise you'll be facing so many other medical problems as you age.

I'll update periodically as we'll unless you would rather me not.

Post up what works for you as you're going along. Stick with it through any setbacks and it'll be worth it in the end.

Last edited:
To help along some that may feel lost I’m going to post up some info about how I went about things and include links. Clearly there are many ways to go about things and what works for me, may not work for you. If you disagree, then please create your own thread to discuss what your suggestions.

I would have to say the first thing that needs to happen is YOU have to decide that you’re ready to take on your fitness challenge. Your wife, mother or brother pushing you into doing something really won’t work if YOU don’t want it. Once you decide YOU want to make the change, then do it and stick to it. My moment came when I had to shop for a belt to fit my new found 40” midsection. Well it was a 42” belt I ended up with. I never wore that belt because when I returned home with it, something snapped in me and that was it. I knew I was ready at that point.

Once you’re ready, don’t mess around with fad diets. Just hunker down and use WeightWatchers. It’s a time tested and proven way to keep track of your intake. Their online program is what I used and what I suggest since it’s simple and really takes no time out of your day.

Weightwatchers

Once you sign up, put the smartphone app on your phone and get going. You can also learn a lot about different food options standing around in the grocery store scaning different packages with an app called Fooducate.

Fooducate | eat a bit better

As a priority in the intake portion of things, stop drinking alcohol. For some reason, in my situation, even a little alcohol would put a stop to any weight loss I was having. I mean just a couple cocktails a week would kill weight loss for me. So kick the habit. If you’re a heavy drinker it’s especially important you get professional help to stop as withdrawals can actually kill is some circumstances.

Then start working out. Here’s the disclaimer... Talk to your doctor if you have concerns or serious medical issues that you’re dealing with. But for the most part everyone can walk. Start walking every day in the morning before work. This is where your fitness needs to become a priority in your life. Everyone has a list of things they do for others (family, employers and so on), you need to do this for you and put it before all else. If that means going to bed early so you can get up early to workout before work, so be it.

Once you’re walking 45 mins to an hour a day and doing okay when start looking at running. If you’ve never run before or had issues with running, you need to go about it the right way. The best way I’ve found to get people running is to use the Couch to 5K program available at Cool Running.

The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan | C25K Mobile App

Their mobile app is the way to go so you don’t have to keep notes and if you can put up with carrying your phone on the run it will play the prompts over your music so you don’t have to look at the phone while you’re running. Because of my joint issues I always run on a treadmill and just stick the phone on the console and keep an eye on the timer. I will have RA flares here and there that will keep me from running. But when I get back into it, I use the program to make sure I don’t over do it and injury myself.

Couch to 5K Mobile App

Once you look at stepping up from walking to running you really need to look at your shoes. If you’re one of those people that keeps a set of “tennis” shoes for years or doesn't own a pair of running shoes, that’s a setup for failure. You need to find a place like Road Runner Sports where you go in and they evaluate your gait and give suggestions for proper running shoe fit and type. There is a lot to know about picking the right shoe for you and you may even need custom orthotics designed for running if you’ve had issues in the past. If you have a Road Runner Sports nearby then use them and join the VIP program, it’s worth the money if you’re really gonna be running.

Road Runner Sports: The Best Top-Brand Running Shoes & Running Gear

I’ve learned a lot about shoes and their limited life from my wife. She runs for fun as it’s likely the activity she enjoys most in life, but at times she’ll train for different runs. Being in Colorado we have close access to some interesting runs. If you have something specific to train for it can help bring focus to your running but it’s not fore everyone. My wife’s last run was the Imogene Pass Run. Starting in Ouray, Colorado (7,810 ft elevation) the run traverses off paved roads to dirt trails over Imogene Pass (13,114 ft elevation) and then drops down into the town of Telluride, Colorado (8,750 ft elevation). The run covers a total of 17.1 miles and has several time cut offs for safety of the runners and workers not to get stuck out on the mountain too late in the day. So if you’re looking for something totally different to challenge yourself, there’s a lot out there if you’re able to get into running this much.

Once you progress into the Couch To 5K program, keep up the walking on your off days from the program and see how it goes. You can always repeat weeks in the program if it’s moving along too fast. If running or walking doesn’t work for you at all because you’re so far out of shape or have medical limitations then get a stationary bike. At one point my joints were so bad the stationary bike was all I could do. That was it... I started with 30 mins at a time every day. I increased that up to 90 mins at time as my joints improved and the weight came off. If you can’t ride a bike for some reason, start looking at water exercise. There’s almost always a way to figure out your limitations and soon those limitations will become a thing of the past.

That’s it for now. In the next post I’ll write up my suggestions for increasing the intensity as you progress.

Weighed in today. I've lost 8 pounds in the two weeks I have been on the program. The first week I was away at a sales conference, didn't eat the best but tried. Week two I was religious about tracking my points perfectly. I also made it to the gym a few times and walked on off days.
-Still Hustlin'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I lift weights and I'm younger than most.. lets say younger than 95% of you. thats what I do even though I'm not as fit as some people but I can run a mile without stopping Idk bout carrying weight with me. I enjoy weight lifting since it relieves stress and I get a work out. I'm also starting to get less tired. So yeah theres ups.

Between posts like this and taking my wife to cancer treatment, and seeing 2 kinds of folks at the hospital, those who are just meant to have problems and those who are there due to unhealthy choices and realizing I was the second group

I have now finally gotten motivated and starting at 240Lbs. lost so far 30 Lbs. with a goal of about 20 more and a goal of running a half marathon next year

I wish I had taken measurements before I started but I can say the 38-40 Jeans are now more like 32-34 Jeans and looks like I will be recutting/resewing my Turkey hunting vest for Spring :)

Recently started in with BURST Training and will continue with Treadmill and Cycling planning a reward next July of a new road bike if all goes well

Thank You FCB and others for posting the inspiration and keep up the good fight !

BTW I have to get into shape because the wife is responding and now cancer free so we have many more years ahead of us

John

Once you’re into a full 5k of running every other day, and you’re walking on your off days feeling good then start looking at something else to increase the intensity. My suggestion is the Jillian Michael's videos I talked about in the article above.

Workout DVDs | Official Jillian Michaels Store | Shop.JillianMichaels.com

All the DVD’s can be bought though Wal-Mart and Amazon if you want to save a little money. What I would do is rip them onto my iMac and put them into iTunes. Then I setup a TV in the basement with an AppleTV attached so I could watch any of them. All you need to go along with them is a light set of weights what Wal-Mart also has that includes 2 x 2.5#, 2 x 5# and 2 x 8# dumbbells. This may sound stupid light but light is good at first. I ended up moving onto 10# and 15# dumbbells before getting into the more CrossFit style workouts.

Speaking of CrossFit, I think they are really raising the bar on all around fitness and are onto something. But I’ve never participated in any of the CrossFit gyms or events. I’m more of a workout at home kind of person so when I was introduced to a trainer that my wife and I actually work with that was willing to work with us on a routine we could do at home, I jumped all over the opportunity. The trainer is strict on form and heavy into teaching you the skills involved in the moves so you can do everything correctly without injury. This was my first introduction to kettle bells. I’d always been interested but it look like an easy way to hurt yourself. Having direct instruction made all the difference and the high intensity workout has been great. It’s easy to see and feel the difference it makes over what I used to do with just standard weight lifting.

After selling a bunch of our expensive equipment in the home gym, we started buying kettlebells. The decision was made to buy all “Competition Kettlebells,” which are made of steel and are all formed to the same size regardless of the weight. The interior is hollow to different degrees based on the weight they are designed to be. The different weights are differentiated by the color they are painted. So far we’ve got 8kg, 12kg, 16kg and 20kg in pairs. Once I could comfortably complete the whole workout program with a specific weight, I would buy two more of the next weight up. And yes, I really had to start with the 8kg pink kettlebells. I’m now up to the 20kg kettle bells for the whole workout below and could move up on some of the stuff.

Here’s my current workout, published with the permission of my trainer Aaron Pierson of Fundamental Strength LLC.

Where there are sets of exercises that can be completed in under a min, then a the next set or exercise is started at the top of the next min. I use the following iPhone interval timer setup for my 10 mins of Turkish Getups and then it starts a 60 second timer that last the remainder of the hour.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/interval-timer-timing-for/id406473568?mt=8

This way it keeps the tempo fast and the rest limited. On the longer ladders where it may take a full min or more to complete one section then I keep track of the timer and start the next one as soon as I hit the top of the next min.

Day 1
Warm up:
Turkish Getups (TGU) x 10 minutes - alternate sides
5 x 10 (per arm) Deadbugs

Workout:
Bench Press x 10
Squat - Overhead Press 3 x (2-4-6-8 reps) - Similar to CrossFit Squat Thrusters
Swings x 10 / Loaded Carry (vary it up)
3-5 rounds time dependent

5 x 10 Ab wheel or V-Ups

Day 2
Warm up:
TGU x 10 minutes
10 - 20 Round the Worlds

Workout:
3 x 50 Kettlebell Dead Lifts
5 x 10 Rows
Cadence Squats x 1 min on 1 min off for 3 rounds
200 swings

Day 3
Warm up:
TGU x 10 minutes
5 x 10 Deadbugs

Workout:
Single Arm Clean & Press with Pull Ups Ladder
-- 5 x (1-2-3-4-5)
-- rest as needed to hit the required rep

Top of minute swings x 10-20 min
-- set timer for 1 min repeats
-- choose a rep count between 16-20
-- swing for the required rep count and rest for the remainder of the min.

Aaron Pierson
Website: Fundamental Strength | Creating Stronger, More Durable Bodies
Phone: 970-219-2011

Forgot to post week three update. As of last Friday I'm down 11 pounds in 3 weeks. I worked 75 hours last week but the mobile app helped me continue to make good foo choices even while on the road.

The other main change I have made is going to bed earlier so I can get up earlier and get to the gym. In two days I have my next weigh in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to post week three update. As of last Friday I'm down 11 pounds in 3 weeks. I worked 75 hours last week but the mobile app helped me continue to make good foo choices even while on the road.

The other main change I have made is going to bed earlier so I can get up earlier and get to the gym. In two days I have my next weigh in.

Congratulations! 11 pounds is a lot of weight...

I was showing off to my wife today how my 34" pants have inches of extra material in the waist. I don't loose any weight anymore but I'm getting leaner, VERY SLOWLY. I'm holding at 207# and building muscle at the same rate I'm losing fat. I'm not sure how long this can keep up but I actually contribute it to your last statement. I've started going to be at like 9pm. Which isn't too hard around here because my wife has always done it. But it makes we wide awake at 5am so I hit the basement gym or go for a run. I'm back on week 6 of the Couch 2 5K program I listed above and that's part of getting leaner. I've also been researching CrossFit a bunch and have decided to get a Concept 2 Rower to add to my gym. I keep looking for ways to get just a little bit more intensity into my workouts and that looks like a good way. Because of my joints I can't always be lifting or running. Today was a bad day because I'm trying to get off prednisone and I drop in the dose has flared up my joints so I just walked for 30 mins and hit the bike for 30 mins and then stretched for 30 mins. Depending on how if my hands/wrists or my knees are the worst tomorrow I'll either run or lift. I've been hitting something 7 days a week for the last month and that has been causing me to get leaner... Well except for the days that I shoot matches, although before the last IDPA match I got up at 4am and ran. Excess is never enough I guess, I just don't go full tilt all the time so I have active rest days.

Weighed in yesterday and I lost one pound last week bringing the total to 12 for the month. I'm pleased with the progress. I only got to the gym twice this week because I started work really early most mornings.

Two things slowed me down this week:

1. This was week two of being on the road everyday and my fourth week 70+ hour working. I did have a breakdown in discipline somewhat. I stayed within my points but did not eat as well as I should have due to time. I'm going to develop a gameplan around this.
2. I did indulge myself a whiskey 3 evenings. I could blame it on stress but that is a cop out. I also don't want to turn to alcohol to mellow out. I believe you when you say alcohol slows your progress.

I already talked to the managers and had them help me spread my load a bit at work.

Additionally I wrapped up two major projects which helps. Too much Stress is not conducive to proper weight loss or health in general. I learned this the hard way which is why I left my old company for this one.

My game plan for traveling going forward will be to take the extra time to pack some healthy food in a cooler the night before and rely on that.

Thanks for all your advice here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. This was week two of being on the road everyday and my fourth week 70+ hour working. I did have a breakdown in discipline somewhat. I stayed within my points but did not eat as well as I should have due to time. I'm going to develop a gameplan around this.

PAINFUL! You know, work will kill you. When I worked 12-Night shifts I had the hardest time eating right. Not that I'm off nights people ask why I went to days since it was a 25% pay cut... I tell them no amount of money is worth the negative impact that working nights made of my life, furthermore my stress eating caused me to attempt to eat myself to death on nights. My wife still insists on working nights because she doesn't like all the politics and people on the day shift, but she also has her own set of stress reactions to working nights, they just don't include eating 5k calories a day like I did.

Sometimes you have to reevaluate what specific things you thought you were okay doing in the past. As your life changes and you focus on different things, you realize that 70+ hour weeks are not compatible with what you now hold as a priority... Your health and well being!

I've got a buddy that works like you do and talks about all the stuff or luxuries that his extensive work is providing him and how nice his retirement is going to be. At 38 years old I work 3 days a week and my wife works 2 nights a week because we made some significant changes in our life, relocated out of California, drive cars that are a few years old, don't take vacation besides to family's houses, don't have cable/sat TV. I'll never own a Schmit & Bender scope or a custom GAP rifle, but tough shit I still live very well off... Im essentially enjoying part of my retirement now and my buddy may work himself to death before he can even see a single day of his retirement.

The good thing is you recognize it, I don't think my buddy does or he chooses to believe it's not harmful. You've asked your managers about changing things up so that's a step in the right direction. If you're at the point where you can run, then I would substitute that for the drinking. As tough as it maybe to motivate yourself to workout in the evenings, you'll get TRUE relaxations and stress reduction from exercise where as you get a false sense of relaxation and stress reduction from drinking. Drinking also causes your body to not obtain as restful of sleep as it should which then further increases stress and tiredness. If you can't run, then start the Couch 2 5K program today after you get some good running shoes and you program up your iPod with some good tunes.

I've decided to go a little more public to hopefully help others I know that are not into firearms and such. I've chosen to try out Facebook for this effort. Kind of doing it as a blog format very similar to what I started here and I'll keep going with things as I progress. While I'm not a big Facebook fan, it appears as though most of the rest of the sedentary world is a fan and that's my target audience so there you have it. Interested folks can check out and "Like" my page for updates.

https://www.facebook.com/getyourstrength

Good for you guys, keep it up! This time last year I was just shy of 240lbs and hard up to fit in size 36 jeans (and generously cut ones at that). I went through a lot of rough personal shit this year, and started re-purposing my life around June of this year. Part of that included a renewed interest in fitness and health, both for personal and professional reasons... i can't be a good competitor OR instructor if I can't do what I teach. Last week I stepped on the gym scale at 198, and I now comfortably carry my sidearm IWB... in size 34 pants, and I NEED the belt or risk saggin'. I am NOT where I wanna be yet, but halfway down that road is a mighty fine view.

Diet modification (I try to use paleo as a guideline, but not strict rules for life) and 15-20 miles on a resistance bike every week, plus free weights and circuit machines as my free time allows. I cheat frequently and eat bad stuff- but in small portions, and I make it special occasions... like getting ice cream with a very important woman in my life, or a beer with a colleague. So the rest of the time I don't eat candy, cookies, or even very much bread- the sort of shit that humans really ought not to eat (here is the anthropologist in me looking at thousands of years of human physiology). I still drink, but not daily and not in quantity... when I do, I pick something good and make it a cheat treat.

Best thing you can quit doing is drinking pop... don't touch it, it's poison! That shit ought to have a skull on the bottle like draino used to, and a phone number for emergency medical assistance.

"PAINFUL! You know, work will kill you. When I worked 12-Night shifts I had the hardest time eating right. Not that I'm off nights people ask why I went to days since it was a 25% pay cut... I tell them no amount of money is worth the negative impact that working nights made of my life, furthermore my stress eating caused me to attempt to eat myself to death on nights. My wife still insists on working nights because she doesn't like all the politics and people on the day shift, but she also has her own set of stress reactions to working nights, they just don't include eating 5k calories a day like I did."

Yes sir. It is one of the reasons that I switched companies and moved my family 1500 miles. My last job had me working 70-80 hour weeks every week in a high stress sales position with not ony no support, but a semi-hostile work enviornment.

At any rate I am still on the program and down 15 pounds in about 6 weeks. Work here has been a little hectic but slowing down finally. Going to keep hustling. The biggest motivator I use is to remind myself that it isnt a spirnt it is a marathon. It took me years of bad habits to get this way and it will take time to fix. Steady progress over the long term is rewarding.

Good posts...

I can solidly recommend Weight Watchers as well.

Got me from 120 kg/265 lbs down to 83 kg/180 lbs about 14 years ago.

Man, life had so much more going for it when you aren't stressing out your whole system with acres of blubber.

I always moved and exercised, but you cannot get around the fact that you have to really take notice of what you put in your mouth (answer is: not that much). And the alcohol is really a bad one for weight - especially beer (and I love it).

I've not really kept to 180 lbs, more like 200 these days, but it's nowhere near where I was.

Think about your own situation and decide if you need to do something today!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wrote up a new post for the Facebook blog and thought I would share here. During an outstanding active rest day workout this morning at 4am I was inspired to write some tips on improving your fitness. Things I've leaned in the last two years and I just hadn't put into words year. Hope it's at least entertaining to you all...

Real Tips… (Consistency, Intensity, Time - Duration)

Get ready to be offended. Get ready to hear what you don’t what to hear. Get ready to think that I’m totally full of shit. Deny it all you want, it’s okay if you want to be fat and out of shape, I was there and I know what you’re thinking. Don’t listen to what I have to say. But I hear it all the time in casual conversation where people ask, “hey, did you loose a bunch of weight? How did you do it?” What I realize now is that these questions don’t come up because they actually want to hear how you loose weight and get in shape, people just want to share their excuses about why they fail. And it normally goes a little like this…

“I can’t loose weight, I workout all the time and I don’t lose any weight.”
“I eat right and I don’t get any results.”
“I do what my trainer says and nothing changes.”
“My metabolism is just too slow.”
“I have low thyroid which makes it hard to loose weight.”
“My knees are bad, I can’t workout.”

Well I’m about to give you real advice to fix that and throw a little reality at you about the situation. I’m sure I’m gonna sound like an ass, but people need to get a slap in the face sometimes. So here it goes…

If you’ve ever muttered any of the statements above, or anything similar I have an answer for you. That’s BULLSHIT! They are all excuses for you to remain where you are happy. You must be happy that you’re wasting your time because you’re not making the changes you need to in order to change your life. Now I’m going break it down to the tips I’d like to touch on…

- Consistency
One of the key components to changing your body is consistency. You have to be doing something to make your body change every day. Working out like a freak 2 days a week and then eating like a freak for the other 5 changes nothing. Your body sees that as little odd episodes of work and just blows off any need to change. But if your body sees intensity of work every day it knows it better get with the program and get moving and adapt to that workload. Sure you need rest days. I had a rest day today… Today’s rest day included getting up at 4am before work and completing this workout…

5 mins on the rower to warm up
5 mins active/dynamic stretching
10 mins working my tendonitis issues in my left arm with with more stretching and band negatives
5 mins walking warm up
Run 5k at 10:30/mile pace
3 sets of Abmat Sit-ups to failure
5 mins on the rower to cool down

So how long did I workout on my active rest day? I can tell you exactly, because I time all my workouts. 62 min and 54 seconds. Weird huh? I time my workouts? I workout on rest days? I must not get any results right? BULLSHIT…. I get results. Lets talk about the results in the last month from consistency.

The weekend before Thanksgiving I weighted in at 208 pounds with 23% body fat at I’m 5’10” tall. This is the day I stared eating Paleo style. I weighted in today at 201.2 pounds and 20% body fat in less than a month. How’d I do that? By paying attention to what I’m shoving into my pie hole consistently and being consistent with workouts. That 7 pounds of weight I lost is all fat. It’s all coming off my midsection. Do you need to eat Paleo style? No, it’s just a way for me to keep myself on track and eat well. Just pay attention to what you shove in the pie hole and it will make a difference.

So do I take full rest days? Yes… If I’m wrecked tired, I will. If I’ve really been working hard and know I’m pushing it, I will. I didn’t do any workout yesterday. That’s because I had 4 different private training session over the last week with my kettlebell trainer and my CrossFit trainer working on new stuff. I’m pushing the limits of my medical condition and I took a total break yesterday. I came back today with a strong active rest day. Now if you spend most of your days working in an office and eating like shit, my active rest day may send you to the hospital. It would have sent me to the hospital two years ago but I’ve worked into it through pushing myself consistently and intensly.

Do something everyday to start. Even if it’s just walking. On most days, work harder than others. And through consistency you will improve your health. Fail to do it consistently, you’re failing to spend your time wisely. Have other excuses? Don’t have time? Work too much? Don’t have the energy? All BULLSHIT lies that you tell yourself. Make the time, make the energy, fit it into your life and don’t lie. Get up at 4am before your 12-hour shift! Go to bed earlier so you can make that happen? Don’t drink alcohol, it makes your sleep useless and stops weight loss.

Intensity
So you workout hard right? Really hard? You’re sweating into your leg warmers and really working right? You’re in that heart rate fat zone right? BULLSHIT! I’ve heard people say that in the “fat burning zone” you should be able to carry on a conversation. BULLSHIT! The heart rate should be this or that and they try to keep their heart rate here or there… BULLSHIT! They should remove heart rate monitors from all cardio equipment. It’s like giving you a speed limit and giving you the false impression that you need to be somewhere. So how hard do you need to workout? As hard as it takes, you should be pushing the envelope on your workout days. Without pushing the envelope, you’re not forcing your body to change. You body has to be scared that you’re going to kill yourself before it will change and adapt to the forces you are challenging it with. How hard do I workout?

This is very subjective. Everyone has their own workload tolerance. But from what I’ve seen really fit people do, I’d say I’m a 5/10 on the intensity scale. What? I’m at 50% of what really fit people do? Sure… But for me I could feel like I’m about to die at times. During a workout, I can’t carry on a conversation. NOTHING… No talking… It’s oxygen in and carbon dioxide out. That’s all I can do. Ask me a question and I might grunt. There are times where I’m on my knees between sets. There are times that if I tried to drink any water I’d inhaled it and drowned because I can’t control my breathing enough to pause to drink. Need to add in “cardio” to your weight training? BULLSHIT! You’re doing your weight training wrong. It’s all the same. Your workouts should be so hard it’s an effort to stay alive.

To some this intensity level can be obtained by walking because you’re so out of shape. But you have to keep pushing the limit. Just walking your body will get used to. Then you have to adapt your efforts to your body’s ability to ignore them. Keep pushing and pushing and then push some more. Never stop pushing and your body will never stop changing as a result of your efforts. My hope is to get to a 6/10 on the intensity scale. That will feel just like 5/10 right now to me but I’ll know the difference because I’ll be moving more weight or running faster or jumping higher with the same amount of effort as before but obtaining more.

Want some tips on intensity? Don’t drink alcohol… Weird trend I keep bringing up right… Well it’s a key thing I noticed in my life, even a little is a problem. Sleep a good amount. I’m a bad boy and don’t get enough. Eat the right foods. Music… LOUD MUSIC… LOUD FAST MUSIC… Use ear buds that block sounds from around you. You don’t want to hear yourself breathing. The more you hear yourself working the harder it feels to do the work. Spend some money on an iPod Shuffle and really good ear buds. Not the crap that Apple gives you with the iPod, but something that fits tight and stays in place so you can’t hear the sounds of your body trying to give up on you. Listen to the music loud enough to cause hearing damage. Sounds pretty extreme huh? Loud music via ear buds is bad for your hearing right? Sure it is. Being a fat ass is bad for your heart and will kill you. I’ll be in the best shape ever and I’ll be deaf. You’ll just be dead.

What else? Should you worry about your heart rate? No… If you can drink water and talk you’re being lazy. We keep our house cold at night. The heater doesn’t kick on till 6am, it was 58 degrees in the basement this morning. I worked out in shorts, shirtless and a fan blowing on me and I was still too hot. If you’re cold while you’re working out, you’re lazy. Work hard enough to feel like you’d rather be doing anything else but what you’re doing and then work harder.

Use caffeine to your advantage if your body and medical conditions can tolerate it. I’m not gonna lie, I love caffeine and lots of it. Tea, Rockstars and anything else with lots of it. It helps bring up the intensity. Whatever it takes works with me. I’m not ashamed to say it. When I’m trying to lower the dosing on my prednisone from an arthritis flare, I live on caffeine. Dropping the dosing on prednisone is like removing your body’s energy supply. I’m not on any, but blood pressure medications can kill your energy so watch out. Once you’ve increased your exercise, work with your doctor to get you off the blood pressure meds and you’ll see improvements.

Time (Duration)
So how long do you need to workout? Depends on your intensity? Some workouts are so hard you’d be lucky to last 15 mins. Some, like today’s went 62 mins and 54 seconds. Workout as long as it takes. If you don’t get results increase your intensity and duration until you do. But you’ve got to be consistent.

So how long until you get results? As long as it takes. If you’re not getting results YOU are doing something wrong. Work out harder, workout longer, eat better and don’t drink alcohol. Annoying trend in my writing right? Sure is, it’s all called personally accountability. If you want results YOU have to make them happen. If you’re not getting them, YOU’RE doing something WRONG. It’s what you’re doing that is wrong. So do something different.

If what I say doesn’t work, then I’ll give you your money back. Wait this is all free so I guess you’re stuck. But don’t listen to me. Assume I’m a lier and prove it to yourself that I’m a lier. Do everything I say and see what happens. But really DO IT like your life matters to you and others. Then see what happens. Maybe it will work like it does for me. Maybe you need something different. Just know that when you’re trainer say “you need to work harder, go faster, work longer…” and you say “I can’t, it’s too hard, I’m dying…” That you’re a lier and you’re shorting yourself. That trainer is just trying to get you out of your comfort zone and get you working. People like to be comfortable and change hurts. Especially changing your body. It’s wants to be fat an lazy because that’s the easy way. The hard way is work and effort and time and consistency of intense work. It’s okay if you want to be fat, just don’t ask me how I lost weight and then tell me all your excuses because it makes me want to vomit in my mouth and slap you across the face.

Disclaimer - I am not the fittest man in the world. I have no idea what I’m talking about. I’m not a certified fitness expert. I’m not a certified fitness trainer. I’m making this shit up as I go. I’m taking information from every source I can and I’m making it work for me. What I do WORKS FOR ME. I get results for myself. What I say may not work for you. I may appear to be a complete asshole. So what am I? I’m a fat bastard that wants to be the fittest version of himself. I want to be all I can be so when I look back at all the medications I take, some with huge risks to my long term health, I want to say that I did EVERYTHING I could to improve my life to get off these medications. Then if I’m stuck on them forever and they kill me, at least I don’t have to look back and say… “Well if I would have just taken better care of myself I might have been able to get off these medications that are killing me now…”

Thanks for the inspiration!

Mr. FCB Sir,
I have read this entire thread and you are a great inspiration for me. As you have stated early on in the tread one must want to get in good shape someone telling you to do so really for most does not work. I am older than many here being 59 and over the years I have been overweight and I won't say struggle because over those years a couple of times I got in really good shape and I know what it takes it takes commitment and knowledge. For some like myself having someone to report to or keep tabs on me is helpful because yes even if I know I'm the one who has to decide to get in shape having someone keeping an eye on me helps to keep me true to that commitment. I started about 12 weeks ago after reading a suggestion by another member here Raptorguy89 and a reference to Truestar and they do offer a bunch of free advise and such along with there line of supplements. It was enough to inspire a change in my eating habits and believe me I know for years now what the "wrong" habits are but just needed a push. Anyway all this said I have lost about 15 pounds now and see a good trend in my eating habits now though I still have issues as we all do. I am fortunate enough to be able to ride my bicycle to and from work and even though for me now it's quite easy if I pay attention I can get some good workout from it. I am interested and will follow some of your links because I have had my share of gyms over the years and working out in the garage is more appealing to me now. I am not a facebook person so I will be looking for additional input here if you are willing and I look forward to hearing more from you.
Thanks again
Bill

Great articles, it somewhat mirrors my story.

I got married and took an office job 10 years ago, and slowly but surely started gaining. I kept 'working out', going to the gym and lifting or jogging on a treadmill with no appreciable results. I've always been strong and tried to deny to myself that I had a problem.

My turning point was when I passed 250 lbs at 5' 11" like it was standing still. A coworker was doing the GM diet, and I jumped in with her. I forget exactly how many pounds I lost that week, I think it was around 18, but I used it as an opportunity to change my diet. I immediately put a couple pounds back on as expected, but held at about 235. Over the next year, I worked down to 225 but started slowly converting fat to muscle. Then, last October I started Crossfit and kicked everything into overdrive. I held the same weight for a long time, but my body shape changed dramatically. After a year, I was at 215. I'm taking a break from Crossfit for a strength phase right now.

Currently I'm in the middle of Starting Strength, a program by Mark Rippetoe that increases your overall power. I'm making little effort to control my weight right now, I've gained some belly fat, but I'll get rid of that when I'm finished with this progression. In my last workout last Friday, I did 3 sets of 5 squats at 20lbs over the weight that was my one rep max before starting this program- and it was fairly easy. It's working, and once I stall I'll reincorporate Crossfit.

This is my favorite paragraph

Being fit allows you to live your best life. You only get one life to live and you make the choice about how you want to live it. We all have barriers of some kind that effect our health and fitness. It’s up to us to work around them and adapt to make the best of what we have. If you you’re a shooter or an outdoors person who is overweight or out of shape, just think about how much easier the things you love to do would be if you were fit and healthy. Now is the time to make the choice that will improve your life.. It’s hard work, but everything else in your life will benefit. You may even be able to encourage others around you to improve their life with your success.

100% truth! thank you for sharing your story. I am and have been in your shoes, and gladly I am on the other side now and my life is better beyond words. It's about quality of life, don't waste it, don't wait, don't be a statistic!!!

It changed me so much that I also teach indoor cycling/spin class as a side gig, I get to inspire and motivate others every week, have met tons of people, get paid to yell at rooms full of hot sweaty women, and release my stress... It also helps pay for my shooting sports :). Don't be the fat guy at the range, we all have our excuses, health issues, and personal problems, turn your issues into opportunity and git er done

Mr. FCB Sir,
I have read this entire thread and you are a great inspiration for me. As you have stated early on in the tread one must want to get in good shape someone telling you to do so really for most does not work. I am older than many here being 59 and over the years I have been overweight and I won't say struggle because over those years a couple of times I got in really good shape and I know what it takes it takes commitment and knowledge. For some like myself having someone to report to or keep tabs on me is helpful because yes even if I know I'm the one who has to decide to get in shape having someone keeping an eye on me helps to keep me true to that commitment. I started about 12 weeks ago after reading a suggestion by another member here Raptorguy89 and a reference to Truestar and they do offer a bunch of free advise and such along with there line of supplements. It was enough to inspire a change in my eating habits and believe me I know for years now what the "wrong" habits are but just needed a push. Anyway all this said I have lost about 15 pounds now and see a good trend in my eating habits now though I still have issues as we all do. I am fortunate enough to be able to ride my bicycle to and from work and even though for me now it's quite easy if I pay attention I can get some good workout from it. I am interested and will follow some of your links because I have had my share of gyms over the years and working out in the garage is more appealing to me now. I am not a facebook person so I will be looking for additional input here if you are willing and I look forward to hearing more from you.
Thanks again
Bill

Bill,
Keep at it, once you make some headway it just keeps coming off. When things stall, switch up what you're doing and reevaluate your food choices. Find someone to keep tabs on you and tell your friends what you're doing so you feel responsible to follow through with your plan.

Great articles, it somewhat mirrors my story.

I got married and took an office job 10 years ago, and slowly but surely started gaining. I kept 'working out', going to the gym and lifting or jogging on a treadmill with no appreciable results. I've always been strong and tried to deny to myself that I had a problem.

My turning point was when I passed 250 lbs at 5' 11" like it was standing still. A coworker was doing the GM diet, and I jumped in with her. I forget exactly how many pounds I lost that week, I think it was around 18, but I used it as an opportunity to change my diet. I immediately put a couple pounds back on as expected, but held at about 235. Over the next year, I worked down to 225 but started slowly converting fat to muscle. Then, last October I started Crossfit and kicked everything into overdrive. I held the same weight for a long time, but my body shape changed dramatically. After a year, I was at 215. I'm taking a break from Crossfit for a strength phase right now.

Currently I'm in the middle of Starting Strength, a program by Mark Rippetoe that increases your overall power. I'm making little effort to control my weight right now, I've gained some belly fat, but I'll get rid of that when I'm finished with this progression. In my last workout last Friday, I did 3 sets of 5 squats at 20lbs over the weight that was my one rep max before starting this program- and it was fairly easy. It's working, and once I stall I'll reincorporate Crossfit.

I ended up building a top notch CrossFit gym in my basement and I'm on my 5th of 6 intro classes today at the local CrossFit affiliate. It's definitely good stuff with the right coach. It just so happens that I really like the CrossFit coach that owns the gym I chose. I'll be splitting my time after the intro course between home workouts and at his gym at a discount since I wanted just limited access to days. It's similar to what I was doing for the last 8+ months with my kettlebell trainer which has done wonders for my real world strength. I highly recommend finding a good Dragon Door (yes the name is weird) kettlebell trainer for those looking for something different in strength training. Getting back to barbell work in CrossFit has been quite the change and a little hard on my joints. I flared up some issues in my shoulders doing the workouts from the CrossFit.com main site feed prior to meeting with the local coach. I think the CrossFit.com site feed fails to take into account some overworking of specific body parts and it caught up to me within a couple weeks. The local owner seems to a much better job at programming and spending a lot of time actually coaching each member during the beginning 1/2 hours before the high speed workout begins. He also makes sure he doesn't keep pounding on one or two body parts workout after workout.

I like the idea of splitting off at times to work on more specific power moves or even just take specific days of the week to break from CrossFit programming to do that. From what I understand the big CrossFit Games guys will do a couple days of actually CrossFit type training a week but are doing a lot of power lifting very strength specific work the rest of the time. But as long as you bring the intensity to each workout you'll get what you need. My problem 10-15 years ago was I was doing power lifting type workouts with very low intensity and never saw any change in body fat. Strength, sure... But I was still fat and adding light cardio for an hour was a waste.

This is my favorite paragraph

100% truth! thank you for sharing your story. I am and have been in your shoes, and gladly I am on the other side now and my life is better beyond words. It's about quality of life, don't waste it, don't wait, don't be a statistic!!!

It changed me so much that I also teach indoor cycling/spin class as a side gig, I get to inspire and motivate others every week, have met tons of people, get paid to yell at rooms full of hot sweaty women, and release my stress... It also helps pay for my shooting sports :). Don't be the fat guy at the range, we all have our excuses, health issues, and personal problems, turn your issues into opportunity and git er done

The funny thing is that either shooting attracts fat people are shooters become fat, I'm not sure how that works... But a lot of the guys I see at our range are pretty fat. I'm glad to not be one of them anymore. I'm also looking to get my Dragon Door Trainer Certificate for kettlebell coaching next year and do a little coaching myself just to see the other side of it. I did the same thing with shooting and teaching people how to shoot really improved my shooting and my ability to figure out what my problems were. Thanks for posting up, glad you're lean and mean leading others to improving themselves.

That is a great story and inspiration. One thing I do to motivate is think about all the people who would kill just for the chance to be able to workout at all. The guys with the spinal cord injuries, the kids in wheelchairs, the morbidly obese. Once you get going, it's never bad. At the beginning of June, I was 15 lbs. overweight, which isn't much. (I took my kids to Taco Bell the other day - one taco each and water to drink - and over half the people inside were obese). But 15 lbs. will weigh you down and hurt your joints running. It's also dead weight biking or doing anything else. I mostly rely on outdoor, distance activities because they're fun, effective and mirror my physical requirements for hunting. I've never competed in a 3-gun or anything, but I get bored with going to the range. So, weather and roads permitting, I will hit Forest Service land to set up targets and run 50-300 yards between shots at unknown distances (well, none of them are over 300 yards so it's not that hard).

Anyway, I also had come across this 7-Minute Workout article in the New York Times magazine. Being an app developer, I wrote an app for Windows Phone (and I'm not going to point to it...not posting to plug anything). I thought it would be an interesting programming challenge and I wanted something I could do as a break from sitting at a desk. So 2-3 times a day I'll use it to get the blood pumping. I eventually updated it to allow doubling the sequence time. I basically consider something like this as helpful in maintaining a baseline. What's even better, is getting a buddy. I have a friend who, this time of year, goes x-c skiing almost every day. I'd hate to do the drive by myself, but with two of us, it makes sense. I've made it a point to go twice a week. Even with just that, it's enough that it keeps you honest. If you're not working out at other times, it will show when you can't keep up. One more motivator: I came across the book, Born to Run. I never considered myself much of a runner, only doing x-c running in high school to get in shape for soccer. But this book caused me to rethink that. I don't accept everything it says. Yet, switching to a mid-foot running style, watching my posture, etc. has made running more fun, even with a partial bum knee.

Keep it fun and just get your ass out the door. The highlight of 2013 for me was going for seven high-altitude bike rides in a row near Cooke City, MT. The scenery and wildlife at 6:30 in the morning was spectacular and coming down off those passes as fast as I dared made me feel twenty years younger. Go forth and challenge yourself this coming year!

Pay It Forward - Free iPod Shuffle

Before I post this in the For Sale section as a Pay It Forward free item, I thought I would post it here in case someone is in need.

Now this is not a shiny new one or anything. I had some issues with it not working a while back and ended up replacing it with a new current model. But I picked it up today off the shelf, plugged it into the computer. Low and behold it worked and accepted music on it. I used it for my workout today without any issues. If someone is in real need of a iPod Shuffle and would like it, I'll ship it to you for free. It may decide to go tits up, but hey you didn't have to pay for it. Includes the dock.

PM me your address and post up here that it's taken if you want it.

Thanks

image by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr