• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MyBighorn isnt setting off CCI450's

Call Bighorn. Never had an issue igniting 450's in my 3 TL3's. Sounds like a trigger issue

My buddy sent his TL3 in to have the issue fixed. They modded the firing system and sent it back to him. Only issue is that the problem is still happening. The lot of 450s is bad, which is probably the case with most people that have issues with the 450s in this thread. When I talked to my gun smith about the issue, he told me about the fact that he had 15,000 that did the same thing in every weapon he tried them in. He tried to get CCI to correct the issue and they basically told him to pound sand (same thing they told me).

I suggest try the 205M or 205MAR primers.

Did this ever get resolved?

Found this thread problem-solving my TL3 as well. Have tried CCI 450s and BR4s in my 6 Dasher and same issues as OP.

50% won't fire. 90% of them will fire on a second or third trigger pull. Brass is new brass, hydroformed, and I didn't touch the primer pockets prior to loading. I have taken the bolt apart and there is no issue there. I seat primers will the Lee hand tool and all are slightly below flush. Here are some pictures of FTF rounds that won't go off no matter how many strikes.

Ditch the Timney trigger. I had the same issue with a Calvin Elite and TL3, I sent my bolt to Bighorn and they worked on it, still had issues with light primer strikes not firing once I got it back. Got a Trigger Tech Special, 0 issues since.

The issue is usually the trigger. I had a Triggertech in my TL3 and it light struck. Changed it to a Bix N Andy with the correct sear in for the action, and have had no problems since. The sear height has to be correct for this action, or you get problems. i now fit the bix trigger in all bighorns that go out to customers.

So I shot 205Ms and the Timney with a tightening of the overtravel screw and slight tightening of pull weight screw. No adjustments to sear engagement. No FTFs. Changing two variables at once wasn't very scientific of me, but hey, it worked. I'll mark this one resolved and here's my final estimation:

Yes, the bighorn strikes light, maybe too light for 450s with their harder cap, but since BR4s gave me the same issues I'm gonna assume the Timney has suboptimal sear engagement and makes the striking even lighter.

I think it is workable with the Timney and 205Ms, as I shot 35 rounds today issue-free, but the trigger required me to tune it out of how I like it to feel. Ordered a TT special.

@christopher.dow Did you ever get it work before you ditched? Ever try other primers?

I have been eyeballing the TT triggers for a while so having to make the switch wouldn't be the worst but I'd like to get it fixed and know it isn't the firing pin.
When I bought a second action, the did the fix for the Timney for me, but in the end I put a TriggerTech in that rifle. Sorry!

I am having this problem now too

New lapua brass.
Cci br4 primers .008 below flush

BixnAndy tacsport pro with low top sear

Measured pin at .049 from bolt face

Factory hornady match went off with no problem

Last edited:
I've got a BNA TacSport Pro 2stage on my TL3s in 6br and 6.5x47L all Lapua brass and 450 go boom every time

Call Zermatt and talk to them. They will no doubt fix your issue. No one out there wants to fix this for you, more than they do.

Most likely the light weight firing pin will fix the issue, but could be something else. There's a very good change a different trigger will solve this also, but if that's the trigger you want to run, they will get it to run!! They have amazing CS.

Reactions: jda2631
I have also have this issue in my 25creed TL3 and origin 6.5 creed. I was thinking it was a bad lot of primers. One of my buddies was having the same issue out a 300blk bolt gun using the same primers. Some of mine will go off second strike and some don't.

I had a similar problem with two different rifles, with two root causes:

1) Aftermarket action from a quality manufacturer, root cause was shmutz (that's a gun smith's technical term, look it up) on the firing pin/in the firing pin channel; said shmutz was slowing down the firing pin and preventing it from striking the primer with it's full/intended force
2) Factory action that I had a 'smith rebarrel, root cause was that I was moving the case shoulder back too far during the loading (well, crimping) process, and the extractor tension was insufficient to consistently hold the case against the bolt face solidly enough to deal with the firing pin strike

So... check the firing pin/channel for shmutz, and make sure that you're not bumping your shoulder back too far on your loads.

Reactions: SOAPdata