• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

N00b questions re: ballistics mil-dots Mark II

spystyle

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2006
Maine, USA
Hello from Maine,

I really enjoy reading this forum
smile.gif

I have a Savage mark II (22lr) from Wal-Mart, the least expensive version with a synthetic stock and standard trigger (no accu-trigger). I enjoy shooting it and it's a real tack driver
smile.gif

I just bought a "serious" scope for it (considering my tiny hobby-budget) - The Nikon 4.5-14x40 SF Mil-Dot

I was hoping to make a range card (is that the right word?) to tape to my stock so I could zero at 50 yards and use mil-dots to shoot out further. I was hoping someone would care to help a n00b out and give me that data or tell me how to calculate it.

So here is my info :

Rifle is Savage Mark II f

Ammo is Federal 22lr AM22

Scope is Nikon 4.5-14x40 SF Buckmasters (it has Army mil-dots)

I'd like a range card that covers the following :

1. Zero at 50 yards

2. What are the mil-dots at all powers 4.5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

I have the idea that with the mil-dots I can zero it at 50 yards and leave it there, then just adjust the power and look at the mil-dots for different ranges - this is probably really incorrect
frown.gif

So, please tell me how I can calculate all this or make a printable "range card" for me if you don't mind
smile.gif

------

Also, I have a machinist and I bet he'd make me some 22lr "gong plates" and I can do the wood work with 2X4's - what thickness and dimension of "gong plate" is good for 100 yards, 200 yards, and 300 yards ?

Thank you and I'm sorry if these questions are annoying.

Cheers,
Craig

Re: N00b questions re: ballistics mil-dots Mark II

best way to do it in my opinion, is zero at 50, then shoot a group at 75, 100, 125, etc. aiming dead on the bull at those yardages without holding over or adjusting any turrets. the groups should be below the bull. while keeping the crosshairs on the bull, adjust your power back and forth to where the dot covers the group, whether it be the first, second, third, dot whatever you wish or a combination of different powers and dots for the same distance, just make sure to write it down. you can make a "word" or "excel" document and can be shrunk down to tape to your rifle. this will give you trigger time in knowing exactly what your rifle is doing with that ammo and other ammo, and using the mildots frequently enough to be familiar with what your trying to accomplish.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=931437&nt=5&page=5

scroll down half way i posted some numbers you may find usefull

Re: N00b questions re: ballistics mil-dots Mark II

What TP said is what I'd recommend as well. Remember that when you change power you might also be changing POI