• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

National Guard Training question

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    Since many states and cities are asking for assistance from the National Guard to assist in quelling rioting, looting, etc., I am wondering what formal training the individuals may have in dealing with this type of situation? I hope that no one gets hurt or killed in the process, and that the offenders are dealt with appropriately (PC terminology) .

Last edited:
    Well, I know a few guys that are deployed to help with riots. They got a few hours of riot training. Before being deployed to backup police.

Well I knew a guy at college who was in the National Guard. He got called out to help clear the interstate of snow, since nobody in the South expects several inches of snow to stick. He wasn't sure what the hell they expected him to do 'cause, in his words, "I trained as a SAW gunner, not a snowplow driver!" But I expect some of them have had some MP or riot training or something, or at least watched an instructional half-hour slideshow on it?

It doesnt take too much training to pull a trigger.
    -
    Holy hell.. Your state Governor gives them Ammo ?
    HAhahah ..Our Oregon governor Kate, she suffers severe erectile dysfunction. She called out a whole 50 Guard today, but ordered Guard, None to be armed .
    1591067142534.png

• Love
    Reactions: Maggot
    OHhhh, It's a show alright. It is orchestrated from the governors agenda down to the Salem OR. capital, then staged in specific fenced off streets in downtown Portland for a media show.

Don't know about the National Guard but the news reported that they were bringing in Federal Bureau of Prison riot squads. Those folks have some decent training. Used to be one many years ago.

Between the combination of riots, the virus and the politics..... Just what sort of a 'training program" could be implemented? Even the guy's on over watch... What are they watchin' for?

Hobo

Depends on what they do. If they are maintenance, or plumbers....probably not to much training.

Many that have been deployed multiple times as front line combat troops should be well trained. At least the units I was apart of, especially when connecting with the regular Army.......the guard was night and day far above the regular guys.

But typically the guard guys wont be shit. You should be able to find the units and see what their training is. Like I said if aviation, construction, or what not.....probably notnto well trained for this

My guard unit was engineering/construction. While plumbers and mechanics do not seem useful we are very useful. Unlike an idiot with a M249, we can drive and operate all manner of trucks, tracked vehicles, heavy equipment and weapons. Most people never realize units like my old unit are 50% rural Americans of every color and collectively own more guns than the national guard and know how to use them.

Most guardsmen/women can do things actual civilians cannot. They can follow instructions, march in formation, work as a unit, co-ordinate their movements with other units of varying size, occasionally read a map, communicate via radio properly, fix things, not cry when it gets wet(bitch and complain but not cry). These days they have a surprising amount of combat experience. And with a day or two of riot training they can support law enforcement easily defending a perimeter or road block, directing traffic, answering phones or knocking on doors.

Oh, the uniform, weapon and oath give them the aura of authority a can of spray paint and copy of the communist manifesto seems to lack.

I love that tired "Kent State" crap. More than 50 years ago some hippies tried to use physical violence against guys with guns and got what they got. I love how people throwing bricks, fire bombs, glass bottles and other deadly objects never seem to consider their actions violent. As of yet, no police car or vehicle of any kind has ran into anyone who was not in a public roadway or being physically violent towards the vehicle and/or it's driver. "Non-Violent" means on the side walk shouting. Violent is in the street pounding on the hood of an automobile you do not own.

Last edited:
    I really dont want to see my unit get called up....if they do there are bigger issues. Being a sapper unit can make things fun! Something you really don't want to see in the cities.

I have met a ton of military people, and honestly some of the dumbest were regular army. Now not all of course, not by any stretch of the mean. But have seen that guard guys typically have more of a world view as they still work in the real world. Many guard guys have multiple skills, while regular only has one specific skill.

Again not a knock on any decent military member. But I have only seen regular army guys try and put belted 556 ammo in a 50 feed chute. Must have sat at the test fire pit for 15 min before he mentioned anything. The guy couldn't figure out why the ammo wouldn't fit.

Reactions: bigdaddydmd
    My last deployment we trained monthly for crowd control, initial training was two days one day of beating each other with shields and batons, the 2nd day doing it while peope throw Molotovs at your feet.

Good times, hard on boots though

It’s a show of force. I don’t think any Governor wants to repeat Kent State. Very little training is done for crowd control.

There was a HUGE difference between Kent State and whats going on now. Those were just naive college kids. These are violent communist backed anarchists. As John Kay of Steppenwolf so aptly put it about The Pusher...Goddamn the communist.

You know I've smoked a lot of grass
    O' Lord, I've popped a lot of pills
    But I've never touched nothin'
    That my spirit could kill
    You know, I've seen a lot of people walkin' 'round
    With tombstones in their eyes
    But the pusher don't care
    Ah, if you live or if you die
    God damn, The Pusher
    God damn, I say The Pusher
    I said God damn, God damn The Pusher man
    You know the dealer, the dealer is a man
    With the love grass in his hand
    Oh but the pusher is a monster
    Good God, he's not a natural man
    The dealer for a nickel
    Lord, he'll sell you lots of sweet dreams
    Ah, but the pusher ruin your body
    Lord, he'll leave your, he'll leave your mind to scream
    God damn, The Pusher
    God damn, God damn the Pusher
    I said God damn, God, God damn The Pusher man
    Well, now if I were the president of this land
    You know, I'd declare total war on The Pusher Communist man
    I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
    Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

God damn The Pusher
    God damn The Pusher
    I said God damn, God damn The Pusher man

Reactions: E-Tool and plong
    Nothing on our old folks but society has come a long way since kent state. The military hardships of the 80-90s and beyond was a direct result of the indiscipline of the Soldiers in the 60-70s

Unfortunately it takes time to weed the bad eggs out, we still have rapists, murders, drug dealers, pimps, adulterers, and smugglers atc; but the consequences are heavier and i’d like to think they are far less common now.

Nothing against our Vietnam vets either, I love you guys.

i move around alot and currently live in OR and i have to say she is the worst Governor i ever seen
    -
    She is the worst this State has ever had . She does what she is told, does little to even try to hide that she has fully sworn duty to Party machine that subsidizes her, and married to special interest for donation . I just cant wait to see next who the Democrat party fully backs-$$$ and slides into the Governors seat when she leaves.
    Back in 98 it became mandatory vote by Mail only. and from that point on the system was gamed. Obscene amount regulation code and law just grows larger by the year that just squashes the life out of independence away from State control .

I was in the Army Guard years ago. We were told that if we had to carry M-16s we were NOT getting any ammunition.

I made up my mind then that I would find a way to fit at least two 30-round magazines in each cargo pocket of my BDUs.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
    Back in my Guard time, we got about 2 full days of riot control training a year- stomp-and-drag stuff with riot shield and batons, active restraint tactics, detainee processing mostly. One exercise with "opfor" in civvies and redman suits as part of that. On top of that, a half day maintaining and practicing with M9 flamethowers converted to chuck CS dust.

After the bullshit post-Hurricane Andrew, there were always 'Designated Shooters' that had full mags- not gonna give away tactics, but it was a significant number and they weren't the dummies.

It will be interesting to watch NYC. A large number of our brethren down there have done multiple combat deployments, a lot of former Rangers and SF, not just nasty girls that did it for the college money. Bad news is a lot of the mid-level leadership is LE monday through friday. No idea what uniform would take precedence if they deployed fully.