• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck Sizing question

lordt313

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2007
Louisville. KY
I am still new to reloading and have a general question: for high quality ammo is it necessary to full length size each time? I have heard talk of neck sizing only. Is there a special die that is a neck sizer only? Can anyone point me in the right direction? As it stand now I full length resize every time. Caliber is .308 if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Taylor

Re: Neck Sizing question

If you are shooting a bolt gun, neck sizing only will work great. You may have to full length every 5 or 6 times, if they get tight. All semi autos must be FLR every time.
Opinions will vary, but I use a $20 Lee collet neck sizing die and have zero complaints.
YMMV- Rob

The only thing I would add to Ol Rob's statement is that if you only want to neck size ( and many die company's make neck sizer dies)make sure the ammo is always for the same firearm.

For neck sizing I use a Lee collet die or the lee loader and they seem to work fine for me. I have heard of people setting up full length sizing dies to neck size only by backing it out so it only sizes the neck. I'm going going to try to set up my full length sizing die to just bump the shoulders back just enough to chamber easily (like a minimum full-length resizing) because as Ol Rob pointed out now that I have neck sized 5-6 times my cases are tight in the chamber. I figure neck sizing and this minimum full length sizing when I need to will work the brass the least...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ol Rob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All semi autos must be FLR every time.</div></div>

Errrrrr, No

What you must do is to make sure the case is small enough to fit the chamber. Thus you must measure the position of the sholder. The loaded cartrige must have clearance on all sides to fit in the chamber without any tight points. Most of this is the sholder position, and a little more is the diameter of the case base.

I, personally, have run many thousand of rounds through my AR15 that have been neck only sized, and have not had a single hickup (except the one I forgot to put powder in).

If shooting military 5.56 fired cases in a SAMMI chamber .223 I would full length resize on the first firing. After that some resize, some neck size or neck size with a shoulder bump, if reloading for use in one rifle. I kind of a personal preference thing what works for you and your rifle.

Taylor,
You should measure your handloads (when you setup your dies) to see how much chamber clearance <span style="font-weight: bold">YOUR</span> handloads will have (at the shoulder) in <span style="font-weight: bold">YOUR</span> particular chamber. Whether you FL or NK size - it's a good idea to push the shoulder back a measured distance. I prefer to always FL resize, and do it accurately.

COAD-06SM.jpg

I developed the <span style="font-weight: bold">Digital Headspace Gauge </span>to help shooters keep their chamber clearance to a minimum (about - .002") This gauge provides the easiest way to get this measurement.

Most resizing dies will push the shoulder back quite a bit more than necessary, and some chambers are a bit larger than necessary. The difference can be considerable, so it's best to measure your handloads, and get it exactly right. Most shooters are amazed to see how far off factory ammo is compared to their particular chamber. Check this out on our website ...

- Innovative

Lee works great i did have problems with there collet dies (operator error) I use redding neck dies and lee full lenght