• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck Tension inconsitancy

Macmathews

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2011
Ontario . Canada
Just like the topic says..
Loading 308 in Lapua brass.. Full length sizing all..

Forster dies for sizing and Ultra micrometer for seating..
Lapua brass has been annealed after 4 shots..

Loading 175 grain SMK's
And at really getting a feel for the tension.. Some seat very easily but are solidly intact..
Others seat noticeably harder. The easier seated bunch measure within a thou or 2 consistant of ogive..
Their tighter counter parts are generally 3-4 thou variance..

I have never done any ES/SD testing..
But I am sure this is causing some spreads..

Would buying a neck seater get me more consitant tension ?

Kyle

just thinking out loud- inconsistent annealing? When the brass was new thru the 4th firing did you notice the "inconsistency"?

just thinking out loud- inconsistent annealing? When the brass was new thru the 4th firing did you notice the "inconsistency"?

that could be.. ( I am using a torch and drill)
I never noticed when they were new.
My memory says it was about the same... And I am just catching on to why now..
but I can't say for certain.

Kyle

Just like the topic says..
Loading 308 in Lapua brass.. Full length sizing all..

Forster dies for sizing and Ultra micrometer for seating..
Lapua brass has been annealed after 4 shots..

Loading 175 grain SMK's
And at really getting a feel for the tension.. Some seat very easily but are solidly intact..
Others seat noticeably harder. The easier seated bunch measure within a thou or 2 consistant of ogive..
Their tighter counter parts are generally 3-4 thou variance..

I have never done any ES/SD testing..
But I am sure this is causing some spreads..

Would buying a neck seater get me more consitant tension ?

Kyle

I'm not understanding how you are doing your measurements.

'The easier seated bunch measure within a thou or 2 consistant of ogive..
Their tighter counter parts are generally 3-4 thou variance..'

-What do you mean by this?

Anyway, inconsistent neck tension that is unexplainable can be from mouths that are not chamfered and deburred evenly. Check your mouths.

I'm not understanding how you are doing your measurements.

'The easier seated bunch measure within a thou or 2 consistant of ogive..
Their tighter counter parts are generally 3-4 thou variance..'

-What do you mean by this?

Anyway, inconsistent neck tension that is unexplainable can be from mouths that are not chamfered and deburred evenly. Check your mouths.

Yes.. Is worded poorly.

the lighter seating bunch. Measure 2.195-2.196 to ogive.
the tighter seating bunch Measure 2.196-2.200 to ogive..

I after seating a hundred or so I could tell before measuring which were gonna be which. but seating pressure alone..

Chamfering could be an issue.. Although I am using a RCBS prep center and do inside/outside then case mouth brush internally.
But again, I am far from a reloading GURU.
How to most get consistent chamfering.. TIPS ?

thanks

Kyle

I've found that annealing after every other firing yields more consistent neck tensions, along with neck turning

I've heard nothing but great things about using the lee collet die... It's a neck sizer thy also helps with runout. That in combination with using a vld chamfering tool for the inside of the mouths and also annealing every 2 firings might help. I personally have not yet used the collet die but is on my list and will start using it very soon ;)

The Lapua brass I have used had fairly consistent neck wall thickness with the variation not great enough to justify turning for most applications. As far as other makes of brass the best way to assure uniform tension is to combine turning with bushing dies and eliminating the expander plug. If you have a tube micrometer check the neck wall thickness of the brass to determine if that is the issue. If not, it is most likely related to inconsistent annealing.

Yes.. Is worded poorly.

the lighter seating bunch. Measure 2.195-2.196 to ogive.
the tighter seating bunch Measure 2.196-2.200 to ogive..

I after seating a hundred or so I could tell before measuring which were gonna be which. but seating pressure alone..

Chamfering could be an issue.. Although I am using a RCBS prep center and do inside/outside then case mouth brush internally.
But again, I am far from a reloading GURU.
How to most get consistent chamfering.. TIPS ?

thanks

Kyle

Sounds like you're talking about variation in seating depth rather than neck tension, although neck tension variance could be a reason for the differences in seating depth you have observed. Neck tension is measuring the diameter of the resized neck before and after bullet seating. If using a full length sizing die with a bushing, you can control neck tension by selecting the bushing that gives you an [empty] case neck diameter ~2 thous. under what it will be after seating a bullet. However, when testing different bushings to determine which one gives me the neck tension I want, I have found variation in neck tension of 3-5 thousandths between the 3-4 different bushings I tested. More importantly, the seating depths of those rounds didn't change by 5 thousandths like you're observing, probably because the force exerted by the ram/handle far outweighs the resistance of a few thousandths neck tension.

I think it is also unlikely that chamfering alone is responsible for the difference in pressure required to seat the rounds. Chamfering variation should only affect the initial entry of the bullet into the neck and unless the differences in chamfering between cases was absolutely huge, the variation in seating depth force you would feel would be miniscule. Further, the chamfered area doesn't contact the bullet, so unless you chamfered so deep you actually shortened the case neck length, the difference in neck tension should be due solely to contact between the neck wall and the bullet.

You might try taking 10-20 cases (enough to get a few each of both the easy and hard seating cases) and measure the necks accurately before seating a bullet. Then measure each after seating. This will tell you whether the neck tension is dramatically different on the easy vs hard seated rounds. If you have large variation in neck tension, the following are some possible causes:

1) resizing die - necks are inconsistently sized
2) uneven neck wall thickness in the brass
3) inconsistent annealing

FWIW - there are lots of ways to improve neck tension, but it's probably better to back up a step and try to figure out the underlying cause (if there is one) first, before making a bunch of [possibly expensive] changes. From your numbers above, the seating depth of two different sets of rounds are only differing by a max of .005". That means some differ by much less than that. That is really not an enormous difference, are you absolutely sure you have the calipers/comparator tool fully seated when taking a length measurement? I only mention this because it's easy to be just a tick off when seating the round in the comparator. Try measuring the same round 10 times in a row to see how much variation you get. If it's more than a couple thousandths, that's part of your problem.

Also, have you ever measured a group of your bullets base to ogive using the comparator? The seating die stem contacts the bullet at a point well above where you measure the ogive of a loaded round. Any lot variation in bullet length in that region can easily give you .005" difference between base to ogive length of loaded rounds because the seater stem pushes the longer bullets farther into the case. In other words, there may not be any problem at all with your reloading technique and/or brass prep. Measuring 10 or 20 bullets from that lot can tell you if this is contributing to your seating depth variation. FWIW - I've seen a number of recent posts at various shooting forums where people were complaining about length variation with Sierra 175s.

I would try these simple things first to see whether you actually have a seating depth issue, a neck tension issue, or possibly just simple variation in bullet length. If it's bullet variation, you can sort bullets into different length lots using a tool like Bob Green's comparator (Bob Green New Products). Then you simply adjust your seating die for each different lot to get the seating depth you want.

If you find it's actually neck tension variation, the first thing I would recommend would be to use a neck expander die/mandrel (SINCLAIR GENERATION II EXPANDER DIES | Sinclair Intl) (SINCLAIR EXPANDER MANDREL - OVERSIZED | Sinclair Intl). Necks often get flat spots and dings from the ejector that may not be completely removed using a bushing-type full-length resizing die, because the bushing doesn't go all the way to the base of the neck. The expander die does a fairly good job of opening up and uniforming the neck so that the resizing die can do it's job better. Plus, the die/expander mandrel aren't hideously expensive.

Finally, a couple other useful tools for checking your case necks would be a concentricity gauge and/or a neck wall thickness gauge. These can tell you if the necks are not concentric and if the neck wall thickness varies, respectively. The concentricity gauge is also useful for evaluating runout of loaded rounds. However, in your shoes I would definitely spend some time measuring and/or comparing neck tension and bullet variation before racing out and buying expensive new tools. You can do this with the tools you already have and possibly find the cause of your seating depth variation, or at the very least rule some things out. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
I had this same problem and it was causing huge MV spreads. Lapua and Winchester brass both in a 308.

I was annealing after 4 firings, and it didn't help on all of the cases. I found that annealing every 3rd firing made results more consistent, as well as really paying attention to the annealing process. Torch and drill like we both use can have inconsistencies of it's own.

Finally I started lubing the insides of the necks when sizing and chamfering case mouths more often and problem was resolved completely. ES/SD greatly improved, seating force consistent, and base-ogive lengths all within .001".

I also found that inconsistent neck tensions induced runout up to 0.007" in cartridges that were harder to seat and that was fixed with the changes I made.

I'm using Forster dies also, and for some reason it seems very important to size and seat slowly on the ram stroke as well as lubing inside case necks when doing so. I use Imperial or Hornady Unique for lube and just put some on a Q-tip and run it through the case mouth. When done you can tumble or use an alcohol soaked swab to remove.

It adds time and work to the process, but the results were worth it for me.

I don't know how you measure your neck tension, but I would recommend using a micrometer. Check the diameter at the mouth, then check again a little further down, near the shoulder. If the mouth diameter is more than the neck diameter closer to the shoulder, then inadequate chamfering is causing inconsistent neck tension. It can also mean that the mouth is not properly deburred. This will cause a false reading of your neck tension. Really pay attention to your chamfer and deburr, and only proceed if it is nice and smooth.

My one box of Lapua 223 match brass was the poorest brass I have ever loaded. I eventually necked turned it all, just to neck size it. Winchester is superior.

If your powder charges are up into the shoulder/neck junction, the bottom of the bullet may try to compress the powder and cause length variations.

Try polishing the insides of the case necks with 0000 steel wool on a bore brush spun in a drill motor. Then a Q tip with dry graphite lube. I use stuff similar to Lock Ease. That plus using the Lee Collet neck sizer has cut my runout to +/- .001 consistently and my OAL is pretty much dead on.

The Lapua brass I have used had fairly consistent neck wall thickness with the variation not great enough to justify turning for most applications. As far as other makes of brass the best way to assure uniform tension is to combine turning with bushing dies and eliminating the expander plug. If you have a tube micrometer check the neck wall thickness of the brass to determine if that is the issue. If not, it is most likely related to inconsistent annealing.

^^^^^This^^^^

I have run into the same thing with virgin lapua brass that I just ran through neck bushing but was using 178 Amax's.

The ones that seat easier are always about .004-ish shorter Ogive than the ones that feel normal seating. Using redding comp dies and Forster co-ax press. About 1 in 5 seated noticeably easier and ended up shorter. Decided I wanted to go back and measure diameter if the projectiles to see if that might be the culprit. Brass measurements prior to neck/bushing were pretty darn consistent.

Originally I tried the old 'torch and drill' method for annealing and wound up shit canning the brass. I then found, bought and learned to use the bench-source annealing machine. My MVs are now in the 6-8 range and neck tension is consistent. I use a Forster co-ax press and Redding S dies for my GAP Hospitaller in 6-5 CM.

Neck Tension inconsitancy

I just added 21st Century Shooting's expander mandrel die & concentricity gage to my reloading bench. Using new Lapua brass I run it over the expander mandrel and then size it using a bushing neck die. Follow that with cleaning any lube and chamfer and deburring. My TIR at the neck is under .0005" and at three places on the bullet (168gr SMK) is at or under .0015".

Rounds I made up prior to owning the expander mandrel measure .003-.005 TIR on the bullet.

I also started sorting bullets using the Sinclair sorting stand. Wish I had the Bob Green setup now that I know about it..

My Lapua brass neck thickness measures right at .015" consistently using a Mitutoyo ball anvil micrometer.

I have found measuring seating depth round to round with a Redding Instant Indicator to be much more accurate than my Sinclair comparator. They all measure within .0005" on the comparator. The indicator registers on the bullet using a .300" bushing. The comparator is tapered and is measuring farther down the bullet, causing the .004" inconsistency I was seeing when measuring seating depth.

Last edited:
You didn't really explain your sequence of operations. There was a post a few days ago about annealing and it was discussed that one person cleaned their brass, then annealed it, then sized it. If you are annealing after sizing, the annealing will cause expansion and contraction that can vary with the length of time that the heat is on.

If you size after annealing, all the cases get worked to the same size. Then if you run them over a mandrel as has been suggested, using graphite lube, then they will all be the same inside mouth diameter, if they have consistent wall thickness.

The prior statement that annealing does not help all the cases is true. An assumption that all the cases are the same is false. I anneal after every firing and find some of the cases just do not take the heat like others, no matter how much or how long I heat them. I can tell by the color change as I heat them. I use a micro torch, so I have better control.

My Lee collet dies work great in 260 & 308. Ogives dead on as well as OAL and comparator gauge shows only .001-.002 variation. Final cartridges weigh within 0.5 gr. with Lapua brass.

Lee Collet Dies are Lee's best invention. Just about perfect neck tension for a bolt gun. I do experience bullet setback in my AR-15 so I don't recommend it for that application.

Just noting... when we've pulled down factory ammo to see what makes it tick, we've found that Federal Gold Medal Match, from one shell to another, *seems* to have different neck tension. It still shoots great, of course.

So I think I'd first see if there is a problem, by shooting the ammo and seeing what happens. You might even "blind bag" the different shells, so that you can't influence the outcome by conscious or unconscious expectations... and see if groups fired with identical OAL's and seemingly the same neck tensions end up being tighter than groups shot with the presumably problematic cartridges.

It may turn out there's not enough difference to worry about.

This is a short article I did describing a technique for unbiased testing of cartridge variations...
The blind bag test... in Technical stuff... :) Forum