• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need 2 Recoil Pads Ground

linebaugh500

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2008
Rochester, New York
I'm looking for a professional gunsmith to grind 2 Kick-Eez magnum recoil pads to fit AICS units. I'd only need to send him the two pads and a 1" plastic spacer from an AICS as the pads mate with the spacers, not the stock itself.

It should be a simple job - the screw holes are already where they need to be and the angle of the grind will be straight back all the way around (no drop at the toe, etc.).

Does anyone here have any suggestions as to who might be able to take on this work sometime in the near future? Any gunsmiths reading this that think they could help me out?

Thanks.

Re: Need 2 Recoil Pads Ground

You could buy a belt sander at a pawn shop, get a new pack of 80 grit belts and still save money over a pro doing it, its not hard to do, just go slow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could buy a belt sander at a pawn shop, get a new pack of 80 grit belts and still save money over a pro doing it, its not hard to do, just go slow. </div></div>

Yeah, I thought about trying that, but I'm very hesitant because I just can't picture things coming out all that well since I've never done it before.

I used to be way more into tinkering with things, but most of what I did came about about 90% as well as I'd hoped (a little knick here, a little flaw there, etc.). Most times things seemed to require more time and more tools than I first planned, too (and many of those tools are just sitting around now after a single use). In the end, I usually wound up wishing I had just paid a little bit more to have a professional do the job 100% correctly.

And maybe I've grown just a little bit lazier, too ;-)

Nothing wrong with having someone else do it. Nothing makes a job easier than having the proper tools. Plus it's a messy job, all the black rubber "dust" up your nose!

I'd like to take you up on your offer if you're still willing to do the work.

I don't think you'll need the stock, I'm guessing you'll probably just need one of the spacers that the pads mate to. Here's a closeup photo of the recoil pad setup on an AICS:

AICS.jpg

You can see the stock itself, then a 1" (black plastic) spacer, then a 1/2" spacer, and then the recoil pad. If the stock is not needed, I'd still be able to use the rifle while waiting. However, if you believe you'll need the stock after looking at the picture, just let me know.

Here's another photo, this one showing an example of a recoil pad that has a straight contour (inline with the stock):

pad.jpg

If it's easy to do, I'd like to have my pads contoured this way (without angling the toes downward). If this is actually harder to do for some reason, feel free to angle them any way you'd like.

Thanks very much for responding to this thread and offering to help me out - it's actually much harder to find someone to fit a recoil pad than I thought it would be.