• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Need 3 pistols, should I stick with one brand?

HereinCS

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
I have a HK usp tactical. I want 3 more pistols, mostly for home defense. I'm not a competitive shooter. Although I'd like to buy a sig 220, FN45 tact, and a glock....would it make more sense to just buy 3 more hk's?. I like the idea of having 4 different guns that I really want. But I like my HK just fine, and the thought of being very familiar with one hand gun is comforting. I a jam, I know I can shoot predictably if it's the same gun. Is it logical?

Re: Need 3 pistols, should I stick with one brand?

I don't know if that is logical. I know if I practice with all of my pistols I won't have a problem picking any one of them up and using them 100% predictably. check out the S&W MP, most comfortable pistol I've ever held and perfect slide weight. it's not light like the glock and it's not top heavy like the sig's. check it out.

I've heard great things about the m&p, but have not had a chance to shoot one. My range has a million 9mm, but only a dozen or so .45s. Most of them are 1911s, which is not my first choice. I do need a manual safety though. I don't think the M&P has a manual safety.

I'm also buying a can. A m&p with a threaded barrel cost almost as much as my hk tactical. If they are the same price, would you still buy the m&p?

No the M&P doesn't have a manual safety, just don't pull the slide back or don't put the magazine in and it won't fire. I haven't shot the HK USP Tactical.

Some of the M&P .45 models do have a safety. You can do a great trigger job on these guns all by yourself as well. If you get one without night sights you'll be purchasing a STRONG sight pusher though.

I have the glock family 26, 19, 17 the glock 17 mags fit in the 19 and 26, the glock 19 mags fit in the 26. They are set up all the same and when I pick one up I know exactly how its going to feel as opposed to picking up another and trying to remember where the safety is as opposed to the de-cocker. After shooting an Hk for a long time I transitioned to glock, even after practicing with the glock before a match I pulled the glock and went to thumb down the rear safety of my Hk, but I was shooting a glock. I burned a second or two before, my mind registered I'm shooting the safe action. After that I went all glock, so I am the same with what I carry on the street as what I have for home defense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EZguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No the M&P doesn't have a manual safety, just don't pull the slide back or don't put the magazine in and it won't fire. I haven't shot the HK USP Tactical. </div></div>

You can get them with a saftey now. I didn't think you could either till I walked into a local shop and saw a stack of em on the counter with my own eyes. You just have to order em like that. That being said, go to a local shop and handle the FN45 tac before you buy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HereinCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'd like to buy a sig 220, FN45 tact, and a glock....would it make more sense to just buy 3 more hk's?...I like my HK just fine, and the thought of being very familiar with one hand gun is comforting...Is it logical? </div></div> I understand your thought process...and it would make more sense if you were debating this over widely different platforms, but the pistols you are entertaining buying that you "really want" are all similar enough that the differences in operation is nominal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HereinCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it logical? </div></div>

I would say it depends on your skill level and objective. Years ago when I started out I went through a buying frenzy and years later sold most of them in favor of the guns that I enjoyed shooting and could shoot well as well as all the guns that just sat around. The guns you mentioned may be "similar" but they are not going to feel, shoot or operate exactly the same way. I assume they are all the same caliber and at a certain skill level you can learn to shoot a variety of guns pretty well but they will still have different mags, holsters, etc. If you ever intend to carry then you want to have the same draw stroke every time which means the same holster, position, cant, etc which many not be possible or comfortable with all of these guns. It's less important if these are just HD or range guns. For HD however, it may be beneficial to have the same kinds of mags for upstairs, downstairs, carry, etc. For range, if you are just starting out, sometimes the differences in feel, trigger, etc can negatively impact your shooting as you switch from gun to gun. Again, once you reach a certain skill level, you should be able to apply the basics and automatically make those minor grip and trigger adjustments for each pistol.

YMMV, Just my humble opinion, etc, etc.

Ill agree with DirtyRod....irregardless of your skill level I really dont think you can go wrong with these three:

-Glock 22
-Glock 27
-Ruger LCP

They arent going to break the bank and are quality handguns....Im by no means a huge Glock fan but I have 3 of them. You really cant argue with the quality of the Tupperware gun.

And for as small as that little Ruger LCP is, that sucker is ACCURATE....I mean the thing really surprised the HELL out of me. I figured it was just a belly gun but I wouldnt hesitate to make a DISTANCE shot with it.

i can pick up any of the 15 rifles in my safe, load and fire it in the dark and hit the target straight off.

same should be for pistols. if you dont intend to practice much and just want them around, then yes, get 3 identical pistols and use them. but if you spend a day at the range once every 2 weeks or so and manage to shoot at least 1 or 2 of them, you'll be fine. practice practice practice.

All SigSauer. P220, 1911, and P226. Commonality across platforms. Two calibers. These firearms always deliver.

The biggest problem I've run across transitioning from one pistol to another is different grip angle when instinctive shooting.

I carry an M9 at work, and a G19 at home. Last time I was home and hit the range, the first thing I did was I drew straight from holster to do a hammer pair on a steel target at 15yds, just to see how well I would perform cold. Due to the change in grip angle I was looking at the top of the slide, just a little bit, but enough that my sights were nowhere near being in proper alignment and I shot over the 8" plate.

Lesson learned and now I will do dry fires once I get home to readjust to the Glock's angle.

Practice, practice, practice, + 1
also put some self induced stress on yourself go to the local range and sign up for a competition, a little head to head will let you know if you are truly comfortable with your pistol, the draw, the mag changes etc.

Great news!

You need three more pistols like a fish needs a bicyle.

You just saved a bundle.

You only got 2 arms so you only need 2 HK's. Pretty simple huh?

As redmanss said one pistol brand is better. I used to carry a Walther P99 and shoot a Glock in IDPA. every time I shot the Walther I shoot low because of the different grip angle. Carrying a glock now.

HK. The handgun is a defensive, last resort weapon with the only exception possibly being clearing a tiny space which unless you are LE or mil you probably wont be doing. By far the most important quality of any self defense handgun is reliability. I am not happy with 99% reliability in a handgun. HKs in my humble opinion are overpriced and it irks me that they are made overseas so I am by no means a fanboy, but I recognize they are the most reliable production weapons made, period. I have HKs with thousands of rounds through with ZERO failuers of any kind. Check out some of the reliability blogs with the HK45 going tens of thousands of rounds, running like a sewing machine with zero stoppages. If you can afford three of them then by all means buy them. If money is tighter then go with the glocks, if their grip angle allows you to shoot well with them.
The reality is, if you practice a lot then the cost of the weapon itself almost becomes incidental compared to the ammo. Buy the best you can afford and shoot several hundred rounds through each weapon to check function. Label your mags and rotate them so you know all are reliable.
I think there is some value to sticking with the same brand, but more importantly the same control set up. ie, switching from a 1911 to a DAO to DA/SA is not real smart unless you practice so much the differences are overcome, in which case you dont need our advice anyway. Under stress your dexterity and ability to think through a procedure is vastly reduced unless you have trained hard. Why give yourself any extra hurdle?
If you can swing it go HK all with the same variant. Sounds like you are looking for the safety option but personally I think an HK with the LEM module is the best production self defense handgun you can buy from a purely functional standpoint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

Great news!

You just saved a bundle.

.. </div></div>

I know that 4 pistols seems excessive, but I have young children and can't carry a pistol around the house. I'd like to have one within not too far a reach. I've had incidences with aggressive salesman (you know, those kids that bang on your door for donation so that they can stay off drugs), and frankly I would find it more tactful to reach for a close by gun and tuck it in my back pocket rather than opening the door with a big old shotgun in hand.

I don't shoot pistols a great deal, perhaps once a month at most. I went through 12 guns at our range last week. Although they are not drastically different given a caliber, some shoot high, some shoot low. Some for me shoot really low. I'd hit some one's nuts if I was aiming for the chest. I'd get it right after a dozen rounds, but in a pinch, adrenalin rush, etc, I'd likely miss entirely. I'm definitely going to sign up for a tactical pistol class in the near future, that's a great idea. Maybe less expensive guns such as glocks are the way to go. The thing I like most about the hk is I can feel the controls in the dark.

I agree with the logic on shooting one gun and being comfortable with it. That is the philosophy I've used for the last few years with my G17. I think the more important factor is that controls remain the same. If you're used to the DA/SA and external safety then stick with that system. The FN and the Sig fit that pattern, the Glock does not.

I also agree with some of the other posts about adding some stress to your shooting. Try some competition or even just get a timer and put yourself on the clock. A tactical pistol class would be another good call. The more trigger time the better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> HKs in my humble opinion are overpriced and it irks me that they are made overseas so I am by no means a fanboy, but I recognize they are the most reliable production weapons made, period. </div></div>

On that note, actually the HK45 pistols are now being made in the USA

If you like the Tactical HK that you have right now, I'd suggest you take a try of the newer HK45 and get the extended threaded barrel from the factory. In the HK line that is one of their best current pistols, you'll probably love how it fits in your hand and how nice the recoil is, not to mention they are accurate and reliable.

A nice match is also the HK45c because it uses the same mags as the HK45, you can get an extended threaded barrel made for it, but it is smaller and with smoother grips designed to be more comfortable when worn concealed. (The HK45 is more like sharkskin, designed to make sure you don't drop your handgun when under stress).

I'd have to say that the 9mm Glocks take the cake on reliability (G17/G34).

No I don't hate HKs. I use to own a USP9, P30, and P2000SK.

You know, there is this saying that I have always remembered and take seriously.

Be wary of the man with one gun, he might be VERY good with it!"

I'd love to get the HK45ct, but could not find one anywhere. Do they not make them anymore?

I just had a conversation with a friend who is a cop. Told him I was getting a suppressor. He didn't even think it was legal and started looking a me a bit weird. I told him I'm not going to sneak around in the night killing people. I was at the range last week, and at one point I had to adjust my headset. Just pulled it off my ears to reset it. Right then in the next lane some guy shot off a couple of large rounds. Nearly blew my ear drums out. Could not believe how loud it was. Granted the range was indoors, but there must be some sound insulation. So I asked the cop friend if he ever shot something indoors. He said he had to shoot a dog once. In a hallway. I asked what the noise was like, he said that it was so loud that immediately afterwards, he couldn't hear and felt like he as in a tunnel. Anyways, I'm paying an arm and a leg more for the 'tactical' threaded barrels so I don't make my family deaf if I ever have to let off a round indoors. I wonder if this is necessary.....anyone shot indoors? It wouldn't make any sense to wear earplugs when you hear a noise in the house.

I have shot indoors (pistols, .22 and .17, and 12 gauge shotgun). I have heard the noise without ear plugs, didn't bother me. But I'm still in my late 20's and I have been listening to loud music for years.

Shooting indoors is almost debilitating....it sucks.

EZguy....dont be doing stuff like that if you dont have to, TAKE CARE OF YOUR EARS man....TRUST me. I regret some of the abuse I put my ears through and am now paying for it. I really wish I could rewind time and kick my own ass for not wearing earplugs. Granted there were times that I was unable to put them in and that is out of my control. But man listen to someone that has been there and REGRETTED it, turn the music down, put earplugs in. Or just like your mom used to say "If you keep doing that it will get stuck that way" just as an example of what your hearing is like after listening to your music on full blast for a while, feels like you have cotton balls in your ears doesnt it?

glock 23 and glock 27 40sw. then you can buy some 357sig barrels and some 9mm conversion barrels and a threaded barrel or 2. Muscle memory...mags etc S I M P L E

i can make it fail waay before a glock
smile.gif
Or even a beretta.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwsnydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The HK USP is a nearly unbeatable and reliable platform. Spend a little more and never wonder if it is going to go bang again. </div></div>

I started out buying a lot of different pistols in several different calibers.I enjoy shooting each one,and i have learned each ones differences through lots of range time and competition.Then i took several handgun courses and i have been slowly tightening my group.I currently have a nice battery of Glocks the G19,26,and 34.My daily carry is the 26,my son made off with the 19 a few months ago,and the 34 is just a magical gun that i can hit anything with.The rest are still fun range guns,although the ammo prices on the 44 mag. and 454 casull are prohibitive.So yes,I'd say get if you have to get 3 more guns for HD,get the same,same ammo,magazines,mechanics.Then dump money into more ammo, magazines,and training.

Colt Defender, Commander and Series 70 1911. All that anyone needs and then some, plus mag interchangability between them in a jam. Defender won't work in larger two but fullsize works in all three.230grs. of confidence. I carry ccw 2 of these everyday comfortably. Quality leather makes all the difference between being seen and all day carry.

We run all Glock 9mm's as the family pistols. No matter which one you grab, they all work the same. Works fine for us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kihnspiracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We run all Glock 9mm's as the family pistols. No matter which one you grab, they all work the same. Works fine for us. </div></div>

I went the same way , all Glocks all 9's . This is for load out's , AR carbine & a G17 , Mossy 590A1 and a 17 , SPS and a G19 . BUT the house gun is a G20sf bedsider .

I just got back from the range and got off about 300 rounds. Tested the sw mp, glock 19, hk p30. All really nice guns. At 10 yards, I can get good groups on all three. I shot all 3 back to back. If I pick up the hk, which seems most natural to me b/c I own an hk, then the glock shoots about 4 inches low. But the sw, shoots 1 foot low! I guess I answered my question. I'd better stick with similar guns.

Yea,I drink the HK coolaid. Yea, I want more HK. My suggestion would be to put some rounds down range with a HK45 and decide what you like the feel of better, the USP or the HK45.

On another note, since you are shooting .45's I would recomend getting a USP9 or P309 to do most of your range shooting with. Unless you can afford to shoot alot of .45.

Everyone has their opinion, no need to add mine since everyone is correct for their situation/perspective. You already have your plan figured out.. go buy what you want.

4 pistols is not too much. You can never have too many guns. If you can afford them of course. But in my opnion, variety is the spice of life. I feel that you are cheating yourself if you dont own different makes from quality builders. Each pistol has its own function and application category.

longrange it's not every dayi shoot indoors, I just did it to see how loud they where, and it didn't bother me. I have been playing drums for 17 years tho, and almost never used hearing protection for that. So that is probably why =)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMOK!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All SigSauer. P220, 1911, and P226. Commonality across platforms. Two calibers. These firearms always deliver.</div></div>
+1

I love me some sig.

Here is my take.. I've had and owned lots of pistols over the years and more than one at a time. That being said, I've never had enough time to spend getting good with all of them. I would take out my Glock 19, CZ75 and 1911 to the range. Then shoot crap groups with all of them b/c the feel and trigger and POI is different on each. And by the time I get out again, I've forgot where each one shoots and trigger feels. UGH! So in my mind I'm just wasting ammo and getting frustrated. I've relegated to getting good with one pistol and use that for my EDC, home defense and range gun. Now I know that every time I pick it up I know how it feels, trigger pull and POI is at. Now I'm not saying I got rid of all my pistols b/c that would be rediculous. But I spend 90% of my time on my "ONE" gun I plan to use if need be. If you want to have more than one I would at least stick with the same manufacture and similar models. For instance.. I use my G19 for my pretty much everything gun. But I have a G35 for competition and a G21 for range/home/camping gun. Triggers are mostly the same on all of them.. sights are the same on all of them, grip angle is the same on all of them.. balance is mostly the same.

Just a thought.. but we are always going to collect never the less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HereinCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

Great news!

You just saved a bundle.

.. </div></div>

I know that 4 pistols seems excessive, but I have young children and can't carry a pistol around the house. I'd like to have one within not too far a reach. I've had incidences with aggressive salesman (you know, those kids that bang on your door for donation so that they can stay off drugs), and frankly I would find it more tactful to reach for a close by gun and tuck it in my back pocket rather than opening the door with a big old shotgun in hand.

I don't shoot pistols a great deal, perhaps once a month at most. I went through 12 guns at our range last week. Although they are not drastically different given a caliber, some shoot high, some shoot low. Some for me shoot really low. I'd hit some one's nuts if I was aiming for the chest. I'd get it right after a dozen rounds, but in a pinch, adrenalin rush, etc, I'd likely miss entirely. I'm definitely going to sign up for a tactical pistol class in the near future, that's a great idea. Maybe less expensive guns such as glocks are the way to go. The thing I like most about the hk is I can feel the controls in the dark. </div></div>

Most firearms in a home are either unsafe or irrelevant in a home invasion scenario. More guns around the house, in a hand activated lockbox may help, however I recommend that you extend your situational awareness so you have more reaction time to get to your current weapon and get your family in their safe place. Without knowing the exact threat you seek to protect against, its hard to say. Don't forget to train your kids on gun safety when you feel they are old enough (STOP, Don't Touch, Move Away, Get an adult). If you are concerned enough to buy 4 guns, you should be concerned enough to practice as much as possible/ 1 x per month is a good start. Just don't stand there in front of the target and shoot mag after mag into the target. Shoot strong and weak hand, prone if you can, sitting etc. Practice shooting with a flashlight if its possible.

I guess ultimately, my point is that you are asking a very specific question in support of a tactic that may not be the best tactic for your situation. I don't want to reinforce a tactic (More guns vs less situational awareness) to reduce your response time that I do not necessarily agree with or that is used for the wrong reason.

While I have more than one gun around my house, some locked, some not, my child is well trained to shoot and handle a firearm and my situational awareness starts 100 meters away from my house.

IMHO

For home defense it would make more sense to keep one gun on your person and buy a rifle and shotgun that you can shoot yourself towards with your HK tactical and get the silencer for the tactical.

The only reason I can see need for a second pistol is for other family members in the house.

Plastic fantastics, wait one hundred years and see how many of these are still up and on the job daily. From one corner of the globe to the other one platform reignes SUPREME. God bless and thank you for John Moses Browning. 1911's rule!!! Any other questions?

I'm not knocking 1911's, they are great guns. I would eventually like to have one in the safe. But then again, I'm not going to be around in 100 years to shoot it.

A pair of G19's and a quality 1911. If you are a Hk guy replace the Glocks with P30 with the LEM setup and you will be GTG...

Good luck!

What comes into play with the use of several pistols is muscle memory during a high stress situation (getting robbed, active shooting, etc). For example, you may carry a Glock 19 one day and nothing happens and the following day you carry your 1911 and end up getting into a shooting but your dead because muscle memory took into affect and you forgot to take the safety off. I'm not saying that it cannot be done but it would require a lot of PERFECT practice. I carry a Sig Sauer P226 on duty and carry either a Glock or 1911 off duty. I mostly carry the 1911 and find that when I clear leather with my Glock I try to find the thumb safety.

Sweeping the safety off is a natural part of the draw for the 1911. A proper grip starts at the draw. Once you practice this, it's impossible to "forget" the safety.

Bought this pistol,bought that pistol.This one is smaller,this one holds more ammo.Finally found one that I always keep close.Late 80's Colt Trooper III 357...