• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need a 3.5 to inch overall length muzzle break/flash hider suppressor compatible device to lengthen barrel to avoid tax stamp

Pseudohero

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2018
I am going to buy a 13 inch sbr barrel for my X95 Tavor. Initially I was thinking of pinning and welding a supressor but like the idea of removing the supressor for cleaning and storage with other NFA items. I could put in a tax stamp to convert it to an SBR however I would like to travel outside of the state with it.

So I started thinking what about finding a muzzle break for a suppressor that is 3.5 inches in total length (or maybe closer to 4) and buying the compatable supressor. Silencerco and Griffin armament dont make any that long (probably because 4 inches of a muzzle device sticking into a suppressor would be retarded).

Any suggestions?

I should add that I have checked out multiple websites and none list the overall length.

Actually found an awesome solution. Griffin over the barrel supressor with a 4 inch muzzle device. I guess it isnt retarded to have 4 inches of muzzle device inside of a supressor. Check the link below.

Giffin SPR

Actually found an awesome solution. Griffin over the barrel supressor with a 4 inch muzzle device. I guess it isnt retarded to have 4 inches of muzzle device inside of a supressor. Check the link below.

Giffin SPR
I don't think Griffin makes that model anymore. Can you go 14.5" on the barrel? Would open a lot more options. Or just get 2 Tavors, one SBR and one for non-SBR friendly states.

I believe from the ATF perspective you can't count a removable attachment on a barrel as additional barrel length. Secondly, any suppressor you add will require it's own serial number and tax stamp. I don't believe there is a legal work around. Thirdly, if a current owner of the device has it on a tax stamp, it must be transferred through a Class 3 FFL to a new owner that has painstakingly suffered through the process and acquired the appropriate tax stamp. If the short barreled device is presently in the possession of someone without a tax stamp or class 3 FFL it needs to be promptly surrendered to law enforcement. Failure to do so could result in prosecution and prison. Sorry for the bad news!

I believe from the ATF perspective you can't count a removable attachment on a barrel as additional barrel length. Secondly, any suppressor you add will require it's own serial number and tax stamp. I don't believe there is a legal work around. Thirdly, if a current owner of the device has it on a tax stamp, it must be transferred through a Class 3 FFL to a new owner that has painstakingly suffered through the process and acquired the appropriate tax stamp. If the short barreled device is presently in the possession of someone without a tax stamp or class 3 FFL it needs to be promptly surrendered to law enforcement. Failure to do so could result in prosecution and prison. Sorry for the bad news!
He’s talking about pinning a muzzle break that can accept a suppressor so the barrel would over or at 16in. As long as it’s pinned(his plan I believe) then there is no issue.

Reactions: ken4570tc in WY
There's only a handful of states that restrict SBR's and most of those states aren't worth visiting anyway. Just do a form 1 on it and open up your options on the suppressor.

I have made several muzzle brakes that are Griffin taper mount compatible on my manual lathe. Maybe find someone who knows what they are doing to make you a custom muzzle brake that is long enough.

Bummer if they stopped making it. Sounds like it worked well for back pressure.