• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a good chronograph

762 ULTRAMAGA

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
Idaho
So my magneto speed sporter just broke on me (its the second one that stopped working).
I hate the stupid thing.. It causes massive poi shift, and I never trusted it.

I'm looking for an accurate quality chrony that does NOT mount on the barrel.
What do you guys recommend?
I'm looking at the lab radar but holy hell I don't want to drop $600 on one if there are cheaper accurate options..

So my magneto speed sporter just broke on me (its the second one that stopped working).
I hate the stupid thing.. It causes massive poi shift, and I never trusted it.

I'm looking for an accurate quality chrony that does NOT mount on the barrel.
What do you guys recommend?
I'm looking at the lab radar but holy hell I don't want to drop $600 on one if there are cheaper accurate options..

All of the optical stuff works, just a huge pain in the ass if you shoot at a public range.. but $100 bucks and a tripod your ready.

No matter what you use, drop is always what you tune to.

Reactions: Secant
I got my lab radar off brownells when they had a 10% off sale and it works great. The app that can be used in conjunction with it has some quirks but makes arming and saving my data easy. This is the only brand of chrono that i have owned btw.

I really have had good luck with the Caldwell G2 Chronograph. Very consistent on MV.
B6FE4B02-1E30-46EA-9382-354D77CA692D.png
AF5EFA4B-47A9-437B-83FF-94C038053BD2.png
7DC1F553-4AE4-4849-A516-D7D9A2092A93.png

If you mainly shoot rifle, get yourself a MagnetoSpeed. Great chronographs. What I normally do is shoot my workups first to find my load, so I know the chronograph isn't messing with Barrel harmonics. Then when I find my load, I'll strap the MagnetoSpeed on and find the velocity.

Something like the Caldwell works and is less expensive than the LabRadar. Just be cautious after you set the Caldwell up that your rounds don't strike the chronograph - bad things happen!

If you mainly shoot rifle, get yourself a MagnetoSpeed. Great chronographs. What I normally do is shoot my workups first to find my load, so I know the chronograph isn't messing with Barrel harmonics. Then when I find my load, I'll strap the MagnetoSpeed on and find the velocity.

guess you didn't actually read his post huh?

OP - i'll second giving magneto another shot and get a v3 and a wiser precision or MKM mount that takes it off the barrel. still cheaper than a LR

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
So, finally the glamor is wearing off and people are realizing those cheap always turn on ol' fashioned ones are good enough for our ladies since the opportunity cost is <1%. Plus, the targets keep getting bigger and a hit is a hit.

If price is a concern, black Friday isn't too far away. Might be worth waiting to purchase.

Thanks guys,
I'll check out that caldwell G2 a little more. I have an old shooting chrony that I'll break out in the meantime.
I'm totally done with Magneto Speed, the first one just straight up stopped working (went blank screen) it was still under warranty so I was sent a new replacement.
fast forward a year and it won't clock velocities at all, it gives the same "Bayonet error" that the last one did before it totally died.
I really believe that the barrel mounted set up gets fried from blast with muzzle brakes

I have a CED chrono, works pretty good. the brains and readout unit sits on the bench with you, connects to the sensors with cables. If you blast the sensors, cheap to replace. works for me.

Do you load your own ammo?

If not, no real need for a chrono. Collect your dope and input the velocity needed to make it line up.

I literally only use my chrono to check SD/ES for hand loads and then check some when a barrel is close to burning out.

For dope and data though, I never even take it out the case.

I have a LabRadar which I really like. It is very accurate and reliable once you learn how to use it. It takes batteries or a mobile pattern pack and also has an SD card slot to save all your data.

You can use it for anything from archery, to pistol, to rifle.

Reactions: flyright
I've shot 3 chronographs over the years and then finally got a Labradar.

It's better because it sits on the bench with me out of the line of fire where I can adjust it and fiddle as needed.

There are a couple problems with it though.

1) It needs a clear unobstructed view of the bullet flight path. Branches and weeds leads to unregistered shots. One range I shoot at has a metal visor in front of the firing point that causes problems, so the range you are at really matters.
2) Even when point #1 is good, it does not manage to record every shot, particularly with small calibers like the 223. 308s register more often.
3) Muzzle brakes are not the friend of the Labradar. The unit gets pushed off target after every few shots, and probably the blast causing movement is the reason it fails to read shots.

As frustrating as it is not to record shots at times, the unit is safe, so I expect to have it for a long time.

With some practice/experimenting the lab radar will pick up most every shot. I very rarely have it not pick up a shot. It is all about the set up. For the 223s I just shoot slightly behind the radar and a little closer to its side. Muzzle brakes just need to be behind or in front of it 4-6" depending on muzzle blast direction. Suppressors, same as 223, just run closer and slightly behind so muzzle blast will trip radar trigger. I ran a gun on the V3 and labradar and they produced the same exact numbers. I chose the labradar because I shoot so many different style guns. My old Caldwell has sat on the bench in garage for over a year now.

You get what you pay for.

I had a Caldwell. Yes, it worked - as long as light was perfect and I placed my rounds precisely through the sensor fan and shot at just one single target and had the range to myself long enough to get the thing set up lest I ruin other people's range trip.

I still learn new tricks to make my LabRadar easier to use. Most recently, I learned to use my separate microphone all the time, not just with my .22. I put the mic under the muzzle of whatever rifle I'm using and the sound trigger just works. I don't have to change the unit's location based on whether rifle is braked or not.

While I haven't actually tested the power settings yet, I recently looked at the LabRadar user guide again and noticed the recommendation to use the low-power setting on indoor or cluttered ranges.

A cheap chrono like the Caldwell can get the job done, just like a cheap rifle. Better tools just make the job easier and more enjoyable. Chrono is one-time purchase and done.

EDIT: I still HAVE the Caldwell, at least I assume it's where I left it in the garage, and it still works despite the 9mm hole in the top of the screen. Will sell cheap.

Last edited:
I've shot 3 chronographs over the years and then finally got a Labradar.

It's better because it sits on the bench with me out of the line of fire where I can adjust it and fiddle as needed.

There are a couple problems with it though.

1) It needs a clear unobstructed view of the bullet flight path. Branches and weeds leads to unregistered shots. One range I shoot at has a metal visor in front of the firing point that causes problems, so the range you are at really matters.
2) Even when point #1 is good, it does not manage to record every shot, particularly with small calibers like the 223. 308s register more often.
3) Muzzle brakes are not the friend of the Labradar. The unit gets pushed off target after every few shots, and probably the blast causing movement is the reason it fails to read shots.

As frustrating as it is not to record shots at times, the unit is safe, so I expect to have it for a long time.
See my post immediately preceding. My experiences with the microphone and power setting may help with your missed triggers/recordings.

I have a LabRadar and I would buy it again. It has been a great machine.

I have used different chronographs over the years and recently purchased a LabRadar. So far it is the best chronograph I have ever owned. Definitely worth the money. Make sure to use the external microphone if you are shooting a rimfire.

Sucks you have had bad luck with the sporter. I have had my V3 for about 4 years now with out issue. I have watched guys fiddle with other optical chronos and it looks like a pita.

As others have said, unless you are loading your own, tune to the drop at distance. Maybe give the V3 a shot or pony up for Labradar?

You could also ask those at the range to borrow their chrono. I have lent mine out a few times, though I do install it for them so the don’t shoot it.

I think magnetospeed has pretty good warranty. I've heard decent things, try contacting them.

I think magnetospeed has pretty good warranty. I've heard decent things, try contacting them.
I already did, they sent me a replacement for the first one.
This is the second one to quit on me, I didn't break it either and the original one was sent back for inspection to verify that it wasn't abused.
They're just crap is what I've determined

MagnetoSpeed or Labradar are the only 2 I think that are worth having for most practical shooting. Both are very accurate and work well. I wouldn't trust many of the optical ones across the board unless you get a Oehler or something along those lines and even the 35P didn't always give me true numbers.

I'd call Ryan at Magnetospeed and see if he can help you. I trust them on all my guns from .22LR to my .416 Barrett. It has given me precise MV that has matched up with no truing past 2 miles. The people above saying to ignore chrono and true don't have to shoot different environments that much. I demand a chrono I can trust day in and day out.

If you have a picatinny rail segment available the mount from MK Machine for the Magnetospeed V3 is a great option. No POI shifts to worry about. If you don’t then LabRadar would be my next choice.

Attachments

• ACF35B75-A207-42DB-8B44-C03801E8244B.jpeg
    ACF35B75-A207-42DB-8B44-C03801E8244B.jpeg
    534.9 KB · Views: 51
Labradar or magnetospeed.
you can actually trust the numbers you get.
both have pros n cons but still far better than the optical chrony’s.