• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a new scale...

SavageLapua

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Well, a while back my Lyman 1200 POS stopped working, sent it off for repair and I'll be selling it when I get it back. Anyways, I'm looking for a new scale. I'm looking at either getting a Gem Pro 250 and using my RCBS Powder Measure or going for the RCBS Chargemaster 1500. I'm leaning towards the CM 1500... What do you guys figure would be the best way to go?

Thanks

I have a Gem Pro 250.
Not a bad little scale. Rather inexpensive ($130 - 150 ).
Good long term warranty. Reads out in .02 gr increments, nice feature.
Fairly stable, can drift slightly from time to time.
Worth considering.

I've had good success with the Denver Instrument MXX-123 electronic scale. I picked up a couple of line noise filters from Radio Shack to filter out line "noise."

I currently use the RCBS range master and love it, just let it warm up for about 20 minutes first.

I'd opt for the CM 1500, it's an accurate enough piece. Yes there's better out there, but this does double duty. Buy a set of check wieghts and recalibrate often, it'll do fine.

Whatever you do don't get a Hornady GS-1500(Hornady kit). The tare floats up to .5gr at times depending on the orientation of the pan and I weighed each charge 5 times because I just didn't trust it. I loaded my ladder test rounds with it last night and the more I think about it the more nervous I am about the rounds at book max and slightly over. I may end up pulling those. I was actually looking in here for scale recommendations to replace it with...

Check out the GemPro 250, lots of reviews on them also (google). I have had mine for 3+ years and love it, lifetime warranty also.
Check them out at Will's Scales good prices, fast shipping.